Picturesque Cricket Grounds

This forum contains topics related to general cricket news
3rd man
VIP User
VIP User
Ireland

Picturesque Cricket Grounds

Post by 3rd man » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:28 pm

I don't think we have ever had a thread on Cricket grounds in spectacular settings.

To get the ball rolling, here is one I saw on Twitter today. Lynton CC in Devon, England

Post your pics here. They don't necessarily have to be international venues.

(Paddles, I'm sure there is a few in New Zealand that can beat this)
Last edited by 3rd man on Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3rd man
VIP User
VIP User
Ireland

Re: Picturesque Cricket Grounds

Post by 3rd man » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:41 pm

Here's a couple in Ireland.

First up, a ground I was fortunate enough to play on once, Oakhill in County Wicklow

View from the pavillion

And here is the pavillion. It even has a bell like Lord's :)

3rd man
VIP User
VIP User
Ireland

Post by 3rd man » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:42 pm

The Oyster Oval in County Kerry

going south
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by going south » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:25 pm

My fav dharmashala India

Harmer
VIP User
VIP User
India

Post by Harmer » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:07 am

My computer not at home so you need to wait till 10 hours

Marvel Stadium in Australia

Paddles
VIP User
VIP User
New Zealand

Post by Paddles » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:08 pm

I'm not sure you wanna play this thread with a Kiwi. :)

Its too hard to for to try and think of all the tiny club grounds that farmers build, or club cricket is played on small boundaries. So I will stick to intl grounds.

This is Queenstown, seriously pretty:

No your eyes were not playing tricks, you did see a plane:

Okay - How about playing inside a volcano crater? Yes - NZ will oblige - This is Pukekura

THe surropundings are even better

Our newest test ground, Maunganui -

Its really cheating, there is water on 2 sides and a mountain on the third side:

Saxton Oval Nelson,

These are all mainstream venues that have hosted intl matches, including World Cup games. In addition, we have some farmer built and gloeious lil club grounds - but its not as easy to get quick snaps of them.

In the old days, Chch Lancaster Park and Dunedin Carisbrook used to get far too many cricket games in rugby stadiums. They are both ovals now, with a further facility in Lincoln sporting no less than 3 ovals alone. So the South is full of Ovals now that are intl standard, 6 of them.

WHangarei have built this,

But it's yet to get an intl. It does get FC I think, but the tenants already have 2 intl grounds - Hamilton and Maunganui, so its very much underused. Sadly.
Last edited by Paddles on Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Paddles
VIP User
VIP User
New Zealand

Post by Paddles » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:16 pm

Pukekura is probably my favourite for beauty, cos it is inside a volcanoe crater, and the surroundings are just insanely pretty, but the boundaries are a bit small.

Queenstown needs lights, but its where Corey ANderson hit the then fastest century in odi till AbdV blitzed it.

So of these, the Mount is probably my favourite intl venue. It has everything. The lights are only a few years old and the best in the world - they can do lighting trick shows with them and It is a tourist town, so it has plenty of accomodation and restaurants and bars etc. Great place to visit if you like the beach.

One of the few smart things NZC has done is more to Oval cricket - but it was forced on them. Dundein built a rugby stadium with a roof and stands right beisde the sidline, so cricket is not an option on it. And the earthquakes ruined Carisbrook. So you will notice more and more NZ cricket being played on ovals, as well the round stadiums in Wellington and Seddon Park. Unfortunately Eden Park remains in Auckland. It bugs a lot of NZ fans off. I would rather the games were hosted at the Mount, as I am not going to fight to travel to Eden Park, to sit in a ground just not suited to cricket, wherever you are. They have tried moving the prich around, it just don't work well.

Paddles
VIP User
VIP User
New Zealand

Post by Paddles » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:40 pm

McClean Park Napier, tourist town full of vineyards, dump of a rugby ground pretending to accomodate cricket

Otago, Uni Oval, very pretty

Eden Park, Auckland - ugh

Westpac, Wellington - its round, has fair boundaries, but its boring. Called the Caketin and looks like one. Middle of the city. But lacks atmosphere unless packed.

Hagley Oval Chch - will soon get lights. I will like it more when it does.

Seddon Park Hamilton

I shouldn't like too many things about Hamilton, but I do get pissed off they can have their own high quality cricket ground, and Auckland has not worked how to do it yet. The worst thing is, ND is the team for Hamilton and Mauganui, so that team now has 2 of the best intl grounds in the country, if not the 2 best given they both have lights... What's worse, is Hamilton is about to renovate Seddon Park and add a sports performance academy beside it, taking up existing streets, and modernizing everything. Auckland is getting shown up, as we fight with traffic problems we are unable to solve. To make it worse, its inner city, and looks like this...

It is not like it is not already pretty!

The Basin - Wellington, it is literally a traffic island and our premier ground - our Lords or MCG if you like. Its okay I guess. Gets talked up more than it should. Be good if they ever got the lights working again.

going south
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by going south » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:32 pm

I like open cricket stadiums where you can walk in without any ticket purchase, watch few overs and walk away. I love to visit NZ one Day, after I retire, with a picnic basket lunch with family on cricket grounds. Sigh!

Paddles
VIP User
VIP User
New Zealand

Post by Paddles » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:25 pm

going south wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:32 pm
I like open cricket stadiums where you can walk in without any ticket purchase, watch few overs and walk away. I love to visit NZ one Day, after I retire, with a picnic basket lunch with family on cricket grounds. Sigh!
All first class (non-test) cricket here is free. All of it. A tours too.

Kids get in free for List and T20. Adults is like $3USD.

The ovals mean that there is space for the kids to play cricket, and the parents to watch the game and still keep an eye on them.

Lets everyone relax - and often lie down and goto sleep, as happens to many of us at the cricket.