North Korea

hot topics, News & Current affairs discussion forum.
raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Cash on hand: Locked
Pakistan

North Korea

Postby raja » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:39 am

There will be plenty of sceptics but I'd like to give them the benefit of doubt..

squarecut
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Re: North Korea

Postby squarecut » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:17 am

It looks like Trump is trying to befriend North Korea while at the same time he is alienating all his existing friends.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:17 pm

He's not really a traditional politician - and I think a lot of people have a problem dealing with that.
A traditional politician is usually very erudite, coherent in speech, careful with his words, diplomatic.
And not just careful with words but also actions.
And quite formal.

Trump isn't any of these - he just says whatever is on his mind (or at least that's how it comes across).
That is a delight for media folks - they always have enough material in his speeches/conversations.
Mostly to poke fun at him, of course.
So the image the world has of him is of a bumbling buffoon, more like a spoilt kid picking up constant fights with others.
His tweets only add to this impression cos, again it feels like he tweets without thinking too much.

So yes, there's his personality/character which might come across as unbecoming of a person holding the highest office in the land.

A lot of people have a problem with this - and I do too.

But that is different from governance.

By now, having seen over 4 decades of smooth-talking politicians who delivered close to nothing, I'm more interested in what politicians DO than what they promise.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:23 pm

Governments all over the world are used to spending loads of public money, with very little to show for it.
Thanks to his business background, Trump is very different.
He is conscious of waste, he seeks to maximise American gains from any relationship more than any previous President.
The previous guys were more "win-win".
He's like "I have to win as much as possible - if you don't win, sorry, your problem".

The rest of the world is struggling with this attitude - cos, let's face it, the US is THE biggest economic superpower out there.
The rest of the world needs the US more than the US needs it.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:44 pm

squarecut wrote:It looks like Trump is trying to befriend North Korea while at the same time he is alienating all his existing friends.

nope, that's fake news talking points

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:45 pm

raja wrote:He's not really a traditional politician - and I think a lot of people have a problem dealing with that.
A traditional politician is usually very erudite, coherent in speech, careful with his words, diplomatic.
And not just careful with words but also actions.
And quite formal.

Trump isn't any of these - he just says whatever is on his mind (or at least that's how it comes across).
That is a delight for media folks - they always have enough material in his speeches/conversations.
Mostly to poke fun at him, of course.
So the image the world has of him is of a bumbling buffoon, more like a spoilt kid picking up constant fights with others.
His tweets only add to this impression cos, again it feels like he tweets without thinking too much.

So yes, there's his personality/character which might come across as unbecoming of a person holding the highest office in the land.

A lot of people have a problem with this - and I do too.

But that is different from governance.

By now, having seen over 4 decades of smooth-talking politicians who delivered close to nothing, I'm more interested in what politicians DO than what they promise.

the main difference between Trump and a politician is that he keeps his promises and follows through with his agenda. Its not empty rhetoric to manipulate the masses, its stuff he really intends to do.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:07 pm

i welcome the move. tomorrow if north korea gets wiped out on face of earth nobody blame trump that he did not try. ;)

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:51 pm

Going South wrote:i welcome the move. tomorrow if north korea gets wiped out on face of earth nobody blame trump that he did not try. ;)

Wiped out by whom?

squarecut
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby squarecut » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:41 am

I am quite uncomfortable about trusting Trump. He can go back on his words within hours (as he did in case of G7 joint statement). He can go back on the words given by previous US presidents (as in case of nuclear agreement with Iran). There is no ally that he has not misbehaved with. At this rate, he will end up having "good" relations only with Kim and no one else.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:22 am

squarecut wrote:I am quite uncomfortable about trusting Trump. He can go back on his words within hours (as he did in case of G7 joint statement). He can go back on the words given by previous US presidents (as in case of nuclear agreement with Iran). There is no ally that he has not misbehaved with. At this rate, he will end up having "good" relations only with Kim and no one else.

no that was Trudeau who went back on his word

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:42 pm

Australian Foreign minister Julie Bishop giving speech to Australian British Chamber of Commerce: "What a week it's been in international affairs!..And what about that summit in Singapore? I became quite mesmerized by the contrasting hairstyles of the two leaders."
"The US trade rep said there was a special place in hell for Justin Trudeau while President Trump said he had a special bond with Kim Jong Un, aka Little Rocket Man, I mean ... who knows what's going on?”

ROFL. what moron you guys got. ;)

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:58 pm

Well, Trump's starting point is business.
For him, politics must result in tangible business benefits, otherwise it's hot air.

And what is business for a country?
Trade deals that end up with in massive deficits?
Just cos US imports liberally and has not been able to export that much, cos other countries have hiked up tariffs.
Hitting employment within the country.

Contributions to NATO and other alliances where US bears most of the contribution for benefit to others?

This has been going on for decades.
And in a way, it was because the US was seen as the world's fallback option.

Somebody has to finance all this - and who has been doing it?
The US tax payer of course.

So Trump is just turning everything on its head.

Reduce taxes-> will encourage investment -> increase employment
Hike up tariffs -> will encourage domestic investment -> increase employment (will also bring in some revenue)
Reduce contributions -> less need for taxes

Reduce immigration -> increase employment of legit Americans

---
This is his thinking.

Of course the world is outraged - especially those who had it easy so far.

Am not saying I agree with Trump.

But hey, Americans did vote for his America First promises.

He's sticking to them.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:57 pm

you missed most important part.
reject non contributing trouble making immigrants from certain religion.
Europe is learning its lessons though hands are burnt.
Netherlands do it now.
italy started.

squarecut
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby squarecut » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:57 am

A very interesting observation. Indonesia, world's most populous Muslim country gives visa on arrival to people of more than 160 countries. But they do not give visa on arrival to Pakistanis. In fact, the visa rules are quite stringent for Pakistanis (and some similar countries). I admire Indonesia, because they think economic development rather than jihad unlike Pakistanis. No wonder Indonesia is predicted to become world's fourth biggest economy in 2050.