BAGGY GREEN: The Many Faces Of Australian Cricket

This is the forum for discussion of all cricketing issues and news. Here you will find frank analysis and opinion on subjects ranging from selection policies, favourite cricketers and match post-mortems right through to dressing room and cricket board fiascos.
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
India

Re: Paine ( ODI) & Finch (T20i) Captains Of Aus In England

Postby Paddles » Tue May 08, 2018 1:02 pm

baggygreenmania wrote:
Tinsel wrote:http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/101924/tim-paine-named-captain-for-england-cricket-odis-aaron-finch-to-captain-in-t20is

Katto
I wonder why Carey is vice captain of T20i team of Aus in England when you have Maxi in the team
Have already made my comments on the Baggy Green site. How the heck has Nic Maddinson and Nathan Lyon warranted a ODI call up? Bewildering. Maddinson has just been dumped from his state contract. Why no Joe Burns, Matt Rensaw or Chris Lynn is what parochial Mike will be musing. I have to agree 100%. Is Lynny already being considered a liability?

Nah - he's scheduled for surgery after IPL.
"Your inclination to assume and contradict is typical of Narcissism which is nothing about being pretty like the Narcissus fable."

HAHA!

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Re: BAGGY GREEN: The Many Faces Of Australian Cricket

Postby Paddles » Tue May 08, 2018 2:00 pm

Katto wrote:BBL success wasn't down to Langer but the Perth franchise fielding a state team = unfair advantage

running second in the shield of 6 teams is nothing to crow about

I don't know about the Shield as well as you Aussies do, but even as a Kiwi, I think Katto makes a valid point about the BBL. Perth has certainly managed to keep the nucleus of its state teams, and add in state retirees like Johnson, Hoggy before that; and many Aussie commentators have put this down as being instrumental in Perth's success. And if the facts are true, it is pretty hard to disagree with as the conceptual reasoning is valid.

Perth are doing more things - like full T20 analysts etc. But having a stronger squad is always going to help, especially when Melbourne and Sydney are providing half the teams. It is like 7 BBL teams in Australia are fighting for 5/6 of the talent, whereas 1 BBL team has 1/6 of the talent, and thats not even including the NSW players bulk (Cummins, Starc, Lyon, Haze, Smith, Warner) selected and unavailable as on National duty for tests and ODI.

But somehow Perth found a way around all that and kept by far the most of their state players, where the rest of the franchises have not been so successful.
"Your inclination to assume and contradict is typical of Narcissism which is nothing about being pretty like the Narcissus fable."

HAHA!

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Wed May 09, 2018 3:17 am

deleted

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby Paddles » Wed May 09, 2018 3:29 am

baggygreenmania wrote:
Katto wrote:BBL success wasn't down to Langer but the Perth franchise fielding a state team = unfair advantage

running second in the shield of 6 teams is nothing to crow about
Mr Negativity. Making the Shield final is a big deal. Only reason WA did not win it was because the Vics spoilt the match by playing for a draw from ball one. Arent all the other franchises state teams. What are you on about?

He was referring to BBL teams when he spoke of franchise and state teams. I knew exactly to what Katto was referring. And he has a massive weight of fan, commentator and media support behind him there. So unless you want to bust out a spreadsheet for the player XI's for each games in the years Perth won and prove the popular opinion wrong, you've got a difficult position to argue against here.

HAHA!

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Wed May 09, 2018 11:02 pm

Australian cricket's NEXT GEN is taking shape.

2018 Male National Performance Squad: Jack Edwards (NSW), Cameron Green (WA), Ryan Hadley (NSW), Baxter Holt (NSW), Nathan McSweeney (QLD), Jonathan Merlo (VIC), Joshua Philippe (WA), Lloyd Pope (SA), Chad Sammut (NSW), Jake Weatherald (SA).

Spin Program: Michael Cormack (SA), Thomas Engelbrecht (ACT), Daniel Fallins (NSW), Matt Kuhnemann (QLD), Arjun Nair (NSW), Thomas O'Connell (SA), Jason Sangha (NSW), Param Uppal (NSW)

Pace Program: Zak Evans (VIC), David Grant (SA), Spencer Johnson (SA), Mickey Edwards (NSW), David Moody (WA), Jack Prestwidge (QLD), Will Sutherland (VIC), Henry Thornton (NSW), Nick Winter (SA)

Fielding and Wicketkeeping Program: Josh Inglis (WA), Matthew Gilkes (ACT), Austin Waugh (NSW), Lewin Maladay (QLD)

For someone who has been watching and following cricket since the mid 70s.. I am heartened by the next crop of young players on the production line. They are in my humble view the best crop of talent in a generation. The likes of Jason Sangha, Arjun Nair, David Grant, Lloyd Pope, Josh Philippe and Nick Winter are as good as any from the past. I also expect big things from Cameron Green, Dan Fallins, Nathan McSweeney, Henry Thornton, Jonathan Merlo and Jack Edwards
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Thu May 10, 2018 1:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Wed May 09, 2018 11:09 pm

Boof To Mentor Kids..
Former Australia head coach Darren Lehmann will see out his CA contract by working with our next generation under National Performance Program head coach Troy Cooley.

Lehmann will link with Cooley, Ryan Harris and Chris Rogers at the National Cricket Centre in Brisbane who will oversee the development of the NPS over winter.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Wed May 09, 2018 11:29 pm

Paddles wrote:
baggygreenmania wrote: Mr Negativity. Making the Shield final is a big deal. Only reason WA did not win it was because the Vics spoilt the match by playing for a draw from ball one. Arent all the other franchises state teams. What are you on about?

He was referring to BBL teams when he spoke of franchise and state teams. I knew exactly to what Katto was referring. And he has a massive weight of popular support among fan, commentators and media. So unless you want to bust out a spreadsheet for the player XI's for each games in the years Perth won and prove the popular opinion wrong, you've got a difficult position to argue against here.

I was answering two questions. Rather shabbily as it turned out. But my point that the shield team that finish first only has to draw the final is not popular among fans, commentators or the media either.. Except perhaps Vic fans who have seen their team benefit by this absurd policy for three of last 4 years. My second point was BBL. How is Langer's ability to keep a majority of his state Shield players for his BBL team so unpopular among you guys To me that shows good management and loyalty. Pity some of the other franchises dont practise the same. Whether it is an advantage over the other franchises..well that is open to speculation.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby Paddles » Thu May 10, 2018 1:10 am

baggygreenmania wrote:
Paddles wrote:
He was referring to BBL teams when he spoke of franchise and state teams. I knew exactly to what Katto was referring. And he has a massive weight of popular support among fan, commentators and media. So unless you want to bust out a spreadsheet for the player XI's for each games in the years Perth won and prove the popular opinion wrong, you've got a difficult position to argue against here.

I was answering two questions. Rather shabbily as it turned out. But my point that the shield team that finish first only has to draw the final is not popular among fans, commentators or the media either.. Except perhaps Vic fans who have seen their team benefit by this absurd policy for three of last 4 years. My second point was BBL. How is Langer's ability to keep a majority of his state Shield players for his BBL team so unpopular among you guys To me that shows good management and loyalty. Pity some of the other franchises dont practise the same. Whether it is an advantage over the other franchises..well that is open to speculation.

I got both your points. I don't know enough about Shield cricket to comment. But Perth keep their WA players in much higher numbers than the Thunder or Sixers are able to with the NSW team. That's after Hobart and the Melbourne teams have taken some talent.

It isn't unpopular with me, but if Langer's mode of winning in T20 has been on the back of keeping a state team (primarily their bowling attack) while the rest of the clubs are scavenging around for cricketers and pulling the likes of Clive Rose out of grade cricket, Perth has a player talent advantage going into these tournaments. It isn't speculative, it is actual.

I think it is fair if Perth is playing by the recruitment rules for BBL, and I don't actually know what those rules are. But Perth is not splitting its state talent around like the 2 Sydney or Melbourne teams are. Even Queensland/Brisbane team lose Khawaja to the Thunder.

HAHA!

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Thu May 10, 2018 1:34 am

But Perth keep their WA players in much higher numbers than the Thunder or Sixers are able to with the NSW team. That's after Hobart and the Melbourne teams have taken some talent. What is your point? Sydney and Melbourne have two teams around which to spread its talent...or lack of.. reason they have to go elsewhere to complete their rosters. Wheras WA only has the single franchise roster to fill. So with Shield players from which to choose naturally they have the greater talent. How is that wrong? I would have visaged that is smart politics. In case you are wondering if I am being biased.. no I am Sydney born and bred.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby Paddles » Thu May 10, 2018 1:44 am

baggygreenmania wrote:But Perth keep their WA players in much higher numbers than the Thunder or Sixers are able to with the NSW team. That's after Hobart and the Melbourne teams have taken some talent. What is your point? Sydney and Melbourne have two teams around which to spread its talent...or lack of.. reason they have to go elsewhere to complete their rosters. Wheras WA only has the single franchise roster to fill. So with Shield players from which to choose naturally they have the greater talent. How is that wrong? I would have visaged that is smart politics. In case you are wondering if I am being biased.. no I am Sydney born and bred.

The answer to your question in bold, is also now in bold.

I didn't say it was wrong. I didn't even say it was unfair. There is nothing wrong with taking the position of 'Recruit players to win within the rules, and if the rules fail to provide a good contest due to the unlevel playing field being too steep, change the rules.' So you'll have to ask Katto about his take on the morality of 'unfairness'.

In fact I explicitly said it was isn't unpopular with me. But there is an actual advantage going on with Perth player pools in the BBL.

It is pretty easy to be a winning coach when your team is just better than the opposition and has unrivaled depth.

HAHA!

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu May 10, 2018 11:13 am

bottom line is I'm not convinced by Langer's credentials and having heard him talk he sounds like an imbecile.
Not that it takes a rocket scientist to coach the CA XI, but surely we can do better than Langer.

Moody would've been a better pick and he's had success all over the place. He doesn't waste time talking about 'mateship' either, whatever that is.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby Paddles » Thu May 10, 2018 12:27 pm

Katto wrote:bottom line is I'm not convinced by Langer's credentials and having heard him talk he sounds like an imbecile.
Not that it takes a rocket scientist to coach the CA XI, but surely we can do better than Langer.

Moody would've been a better pick and he's had success all over the place. He doesn't waste time talking about 'mateship' either, whatever that is.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... -take-runs

Yeah, there's a really nice piece today on cricinfo with Rashid Khan being interviewed, someone who learnt to bowl without being coached, and has had tremendous success.

He said after two games back to back this year two games in a row where he was smashed by Gayle and Rayudu that Moody himself and his junior coaches including Murali just told Rashid not to worry about it but that he was bowling too full, Rashid had watched the video to see what went so wrong and agreed.

Rashid since pulled his length back and has gone back to dominating. And Moody had no issues giving him the opportunity too. That isn't just good man management, that is identifying the problem (diagnosis) and accurately suggesting the the successful remedy (prognosis) and overseeing that it gets done. And he could have easily dropped him for Nabi, Jordan, Braithwaite, Stanlake, Thampi/BK, the list goes on and on.

Moody is just a straight shooting analytical cricketing mind. And even better, his hunches on players like Mustafizur and then Rashid Khan pay off. He doesn't just follow the stars, he is looking for the emerging talent before they are established stars. Some will say Mustafizur already was a star, but Moody got him, backed him, won and then he dropped him for Rashid Khan before R Khan was. And this is the best attribute in a coach for me, is one who not only has hunches, but has a lot of them pay gold dividends. Who will make tough decisions like dropping stars when he thinks there is a better alternative, even if already winning. Some just get lucky with player talent and plans, but when occuring consistently, the chances of it being a demonstrative skill based on sound reasoning increase. Moody just likes to stay one step ahead and be proactive to keep winning, not just be reactive like so many coaches are.

I also think Punter is sharp, which somewhat goes against the grain of all the media talk circa 2009 onwards that he was incompetent as a captain. But I don't know between his golf and his greyhounds whether he spends the time looking for the emerging stars. Moody certainly does. Even finds opportunties to be a commentator at the U19 tournaments - might as well get paid to scout.

As I have said before on here, I respect Moody's opinion on cricket so much, I have gone onto his twitter account to see what he has to say. And this is rare for me as I have never posted on twitter. I just think that Punter and Moody have valuable opinions on cricket that people no matter how long they have been playing or following the game, will can still learn things from. If he has something he thinks is worth saying, I want to read or hear it. That simple.

Whether Moody is coaching or just commentating, I want to hear what he has to say. Because it is reasoned, and typically it is sage. If Mike Hussey is Mr Cricket, I think Moody has legitimate claims to be known as Dr Cricket. And he knows his players, just from my observations, he kept Warner on a short lease as captain of SRH, and he is giving KW a longer leash as captain. I don't say this as a biased Kiwi, because I will happily concede that Warner's SR blows KW out of the water. What I am saying is that Moody is flexible to the talents of the captain and players available that he has. He is adaptable and not stuck into any formulaic thinking. But I am damn sure that he is the one guiding KW the most even if it is more off field and less on field like it was when Warner was the captain.

HAHA!

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Fri May 11, 2018 5:10 am

I don't get the 'financial reasons' excuse for calling off the Bangladesh tour.
I assume they don't want to pay the CA XI for a series that hasn't attracted TV sponsorship and won't get large crowds in places like Darwin or Townsville. Don't those players get paid a salary regardless? Wouldn't it benefit Australian cricket to play home series in the tropical north on different surfaces?

As usual CA under Sutherland are short sighted and myopic.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby Paddles » Fri May 11, 2018 6:42 am

Katto wrote:I don't get the 'financial reasons' excuse for calling off the Bangladesh tour.
I assume they don't want to pay the CA XI for a series that hasn't attracted TV sponsorship and won't get large crowds in places like Darwin or Townsville. Don't those players get paid a salary regardless? Wouldn't it benefit Australian cricket to play home series in the tropical north on different surfaces?

Heh, I think you're right Katto. I think however Cricket Australia is being disingenuous. I think the financial reasons are more Channel 7's than CA. CA could sell this series to Star Sports in Bangladesh and India. Plenty of interest in it after the series and with India's upcoming tour.

Channel 7 and Fox already bought the rights to cricket at 1 billion dollars, this series was presumably on the schedule that they bought. It is Channel 7 that wants to keep showing AFL over the AFL season and not make way for cricket. But they have monopoly rights on FTA. Whether they'd let someone else have the series or not is a different matter altogether but I am pretty sure that CA wouldn't want its first test series behind a pay wall after leaving nine. The outrage would be massive.

So here we are. Bye bye Bangladesh. This tour is inconvenient for CA.

HAHA!

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Fri May 11, 2018 6:52 am

Paddles wrote:
Katto wrote:I don't get the 'financial reasons' excuse for calling off the Bangladesh tour.

Heh, I think you're right Katto. I think however Cricket Australia is being disingenuous. I think the financial reasons are more Channel 7's than CA. CA could sell this series to Star Sports in Bangladesh and India. Plenty of interest in it after the series and with India's upcoming tour.

Channel 7 and Fox already bought the rights to cricket at 1 billion dollars, this series was presumably on the schedule that they bought. It is Channel 7 that wants to keep showing AFL over the AFL season and not make way for cricket. But they have monopoly rights on FTA. Whether they'd let someone else have the series or not is a different matter altogether but I am pretty sure that CA wouldn't want its first test series behind a pay wall after leaving nine. The outrage would be massive.

Foxsports are launching a new cricket channel. This sort of series would be perfect for it.
Clearly they see it as a cost rather than a ratings winner that will attract advertising sponsorship. Maybe they underestimate their viewing audience and the cricket community. I'd rather watch this test series than endless reruns of golf tournaments and supercar rounds from 5 years ago.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby Paddles » Fri May 11, 2018 6:59 am

Katto wrote:
Paddles wrote:

Foxsports are launching a new cricket channel. This sort of series would be perfect for it.
Clearly they see it as a cost rather than a ratings winner that will attract advertising sponsorship. Maybe they underestimate their viewing audience and the cricket community. I'd rather watch this test series than endless reruns of golf tournaments and supercar rounds from 5 years ago.

The issue isn't Fox for me, they'd show anything to sell a few more subscriptions, it is 7 not wanting this series and CA cancelling it instead of having it solely on Fox (even if the anti-siphoning laws permit it). But CA has the monopoly FTA rights, they don't have to show anything. If CA wants another FTA channel to broadcast it, Channel 7 is free to demand money from CA or cancel their contract.

So it was easier for CA to reneg on Bangladesh who reportedly to rumours gave CA a vote in support at the ICC Big 3 in exchange for this series.

Long story short - either CA stuffed up the TV negotiations and will now make Bangladesh lose as a result, or CA was always planning on selling Bangladesh down the river. Either way, CA is walking all over the BCB. Which a Bangladeshi spokesperson has called "disrespectful'.

HAHA!

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sun May 13, 2018 1:36 am

Former national captain Ricky Ponting is poised to be the face of free-to-air cricket coverage in Australia, having signed a multi-year deal with new cricket broadcaster Seven.
Ponting has evidently impressed those that count with his expertise and personality on the BBL for past several years..

Fox Sports cricket coverage is taking shape with Mike Hussey and Michael Vaughan to headline the commentary team alongside host Adam Gilchrist, Allan Border, Brendan Julian and Mark Waugh. Also joining the team are Mel Jones and Isa Guha.

The question remains who will chain-dragging Seven have in its coverage now Hussey and Vaughan have been signed by their rival? Perhaps Lisa Stalhekar who is missing from Fox. I would like to have Tom Moody chosen. Shane Warne would be one favorite. Have your say.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Sun May 13, 2018 1:54 am, edited 5 times in total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sun May 13, 2018 1:45 am

The move to ban the Bangla tour hasn't gone down well with Ed Cowan who tweeted his disappointment, saying CA wasn't doing enough to be more inclusive as a cricket board. "In my opinion, administrators have a duty to grow the game both in their own country and also around the world.. This is sad on a number of levels. Players hear of CA wanting to expand the number of playing days in Oz. Evidently only BBL." With you 100% Ed...

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby Paddles » Sun May 13, 2018 3:31 am

baggygreenmania wrote:The move to ban the Bangla tour hasn't gone down well with Ed Cowan who tweeted his disappointment, saying CA wasn't doing enough to be more inclusive as a cricket board. "In my opinion, administrators have a duty to grow the game both in their own country and also around the world.. This is sad on a number of levels. Players hear of CA wanting to expand the number of playing days in Oz. Evidently only BBL." With you 100% Ed...

Yeah I think Ed is on the money.

HAHA!

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon May 14, 2018 1:34 am

Pigeon loving Nine comm veteran Bill Lawry has hung up his microphone. Bill lost his potency when he and Tony Grieg stopped their on air jousting. Still good job Bill on a 40 year career.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Mon May 14, 2018 5:50 am

he cut back his commentary stints dramatically anyway

I thought he'd keep going until he dropped, but I guess he didn't fit into Channel 7's plans

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Tue May 15, 2018 2:03 am

What is this??? While Nine will no longer broadcast home internationals, they have already signed deals to broadcast the 2019 Ashes as well as some of the 2018 Women's World T20, the 2019 Men's World Cup and the men's and women's World T20 tournaments in Australia in 2020.

Shane Warne is reportedly set to join Fox Sports' commentary team, although the spin legend's manager says a deal is yet to be signed.
The Australian and Fairfax both reported on Tuesday that a deal between Warne and Fox is expected to be confirmed later this week.
Prey tell us .. who is going to join Ricky Ponting at Seven? Paddles and katto wanna job?
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Tue May 15, 2018 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Tue May 15, 2018 2:14 am

QLD Cricket has finalised its 2018/19 Contract List: Xavier Bartlett, Joe Burns, Brendan Doggett, Luke Feldman, Jason Floros, Cameron Gannon, Peter George, Sam Heazlett, Charlie Hemphrey, Marnus Labuschagne, Michael Neser, Lachlan Pfeffer, James Peirson, Jack Prestwidge, Mark Steketee, Mitch Swepson, Sam Truloff, Jack Wildermuth

Rookie Contracts
Max Bryant, Blake Edwards, Matthew Kuhnemann, Nathan McSweeney, Bryce Street, Connor Sully.

Mike why are Cameron Gannon and Jason Floros still being picked. They certainly need a specialist bowler in Peter George but isnt he now a bit long in the tooth. Luke Feldman is surely heading into his last season. Can not see youngsters Doggett and Bartlett getting much game time with these dinosaurs preferred.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Wed May 16, 2018 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Tue May 15, 2018 2:19 am

SACA has continued its youth policy for 2018/19 with emerging quick David Grant heading the list of contracted players.. Leggie prospect Lloyd Pope gets a rookie contract.

Leftie swingman Jake Winter had an outstanding debut season while there were huge wraps on Patrick Page a few years back. Know little of Connor McInerney or Luke Robbins.

Full contracts: Tom Andrews, Tom Cooper, John Dalton, Callum Ferguson, David Grant, Jake Lehmann, Conor McInerney, Joe Mennie, Harry Nielsen, Elliot Opie, Patrick Page Jnr, Luke Robins, Alex Ross, Chadd Sayers, Kelvin Smith, Cameron Valente, Jake Weatherald, Nick Winter, Daniel Worrall, Adam Zampa

Rookie contracts: Michael Cormack, Spencer Johnson, Lloyd Pope, Ben Pengelley, Jake Winter
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Wed May 16, 2018 1:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Wed May 16, 2018 1:30 am

Full 2018/19 Bushranger contracts: Scott Boland, Jackson Coleman, Xavier Crone, Travis Dean, Aaron Finch, Sebastian Gotch, Sam Grimwade, Peter Handscomb, Sam Harper, Marcus Harris, Mackenzie Harvey, Jon Holland, Glenn Maxwell, Tom O’Connell, James Pattinson, Will Pucovski, Jake Reed, Matthew Short, Peter Siddle, Will Sutherland, Chris Tremain, Eamonn Vines, Cameron White

Rookie contracts: Wes Agar, Zak Evans, Jonathan Merlo, Edward Newman, Mitch Perry, Patrick Rowe.

The Vics have cut eight players from their contract list, headlined by leg-spinner Fawad Ahmed, allrounder Dan Christian and former Australia quick John Hastings, who confirmed his retirement last year.
James Muirhead, Blake Thomson, Guy Walker, Jackson Koop and Tom O’Donnell have also been let go.

The thing that stands out here and heartens me as one of his most devoted fans is that veteran Cameron White still has the hunger. A couple of new faces.. in Mackenzie Harvey the nephew of former Vic all rounder Ian .. and Will the son of CA CEO James Sutherland... The other new names are Xavier Crone and 17 year old leggie Tom O'Connell who was let go by SACA. Where selectors are the next gen pacemen? Just a footnote. A giant raspberry to Vic Cricket for the shabby way it has treated James Muirhead. A talent wasted in my humble view.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Sun May 27, 2018 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Wed May 16, 2018 8:45 am

Lots of new names in both squads for me.
The thought that there could be a Ponting or McGrath somewhere in this is exciting.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Thu May 17, 2018 12:19 am

Tasmania axe Dunk, Boyce for 2018-19. Not sure why Tassie signed Cameron Boyce as he rarely got a game in past two seasons. Someone should pick up Cameron Stevenson. Like look of this quick. Looking forward to seeing if Gurinder Sandhu can resurrect his career with the Tigers.

Full Tasmania contracts: George Bailey, Gabe Bell, Jackson Bird, Nicholas Buchanan, Alex Doolan, Jake Doran, James Faulkner, Caleb Jewell, Hamish Kingston, Ben McDermott, Riley Meredith, Simon Milenko, Sam Rainbird, Tom Rogers, Gurinder Sandhu, Jordan Silk, Matthew Wade, Charlie Wakim, Beau Webster

Rookie Tasmania contracts: Liam Devlin, Jack White, Jarrod Freeman, Aaron Summers, Macalister Wright, Lawrence Neil-Smith

Outs: Andrew Fekete (personal reasons), Cameron Boyce, Ben Dunk, Jake Hancock, Corey Murfet, Andrew Perrin, Cameron Stevenson
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Thu May 17, 2018 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Thu May 17, 2018 12:20 am

raja wrote:Lots of new names in both squads for me.
The thought that there could be a Ponting or McGrath somewhere in this is exciting.
Did you read my post of Australias NEXT GEN raja? There could well be another Ponting, Steve Waugh or McGrath among them.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Thu May 17, 2018 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Thu May 17, 2018 12:26 am

Full WA contracts: Cameron Bancroft, Jason Behrendorff, William Bosisto, Jake Carder, Hilton Cartwright, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Cameron Green, Liam Guthrie, Joshua Inglis, Matthew Kelly, Simon Mackin, David Moody, Joel Paris, Josh Philippe, D'Arcy Short, Ashton Turner, Jonathan Wells, Sam Whiteman.

Ins: Jake Carder (upgraded rookie). Not sure why Clint Hinchliffe has not been upgraded. Raja keep an eye on Cameron Green. This kid could be anything. Hats off to WACA for sticking by Jason Behendorff and Natham Coulter-Nile.

Rookie contracts: Alex Bevilaqua, Tim David, Aaron Hardie, Clint Hinchliffe, Lance Morris, Matthew Spoors

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu May 17, 2018 7:03 am

baggygreenmania wrote:
raja wrote:Lots of new names in both squads for me.
Did you read my post of Australias NEXT GEN raja? There could well be another Ponting, Steve Waugh or McGrath among them.

could
if
maybe
hope

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat May 19, 2018 1:00 pm

Katto wrote:he cut back his commentary stints dramatically anyway

I thought he'd keep going until he dropped, but I guess he didn't fit into Channel 7's plans
I heard both Seven & and Fox offered to sign him but he declined.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Sun May 20, 2018 4:13 am

baggygreenmania wrote:
Katto wrote:he cut back his commentary stints dramatically anyway

I heard both Seven & and Fox offered to sign him but he declined.

probably wants to spend more time with his pigeons

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Tue May 22, 2018 12:14 am

I now have the answer to why Nine is covering next years Ashes.
https://www.cricket.com.au/news/austral ... 2018-05-22

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Tue May 22, 2018 1:16 am

T20 squad: Aaron Finch (c), Alex Carey (vc), Ashton Agar, Travis Head, Nic Maddinson, Glenn Maxwell, Jhye Richardson, Kane Richardson, D’Arcy Short, Billy Stanlake, Marcus Stoinis, Mitchell Swepson, Andrew Tye, Jack Wildermuth

hmmm. i see 7 IPL experts. i am sure they now have better experience in T20 than others by miles.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Wed May 23, 2018 12:34 pm

Seven still have not officially named its commentary team. Word out is Mick Slater is the only Nine man they have poached. Jim Wilson will be one of the hosts. Is there any truth to the rumor that veteran Bruce McAvaney will head the comm team?

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Thu May 24, 2018 12:50 am

Justin Langer has forecast that August's Australia A tour to India will act as a batting audition for the Pakistan Test series with spots up for grabs.
"I'd suggest that might be a pretty strong Australia A side going to India."

Likely squad:

Renshaw
Burns
S Marsh
Head
Maxwell
M Marsh
Paine/Carey
Tremain
Cummins
Stanlake
Agar.

Res:
Jhye Richardson
Weatherald
Cartwright
Swepson

My squad:

Renshaw
Weatherald
Bailey/Ferguson
Cartwright (bat only)
Head
M Marsh
Carey
Tremain
Kane Richardson
Winter
Agar.

Burns/Patterson
Labuchagne/Heazlett/ Philippe
Wildermuth (ar)
Copeland/J Richardson
Swepson/Lloyd Pope (my smokie).

Who will comprise the Australia A squad? Have your say.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Mon May 28, 2018 4:13 am, edited 4 times in total.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Thu May 24, 2018 1:56 am

ha. they are going to showcase their skills for IPL picks not for pakistan tour. lol.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Thu May 24, 2018 6:14 am

Going South wrote:ha. they are going to showcase their skills for IPL picks not for pakistan tour. lol.
Surprising at it may seem to you GS there are still some of our loyal cricketers who value the Baggy Green cap over the riches of IPL.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

BAGGY GREEN: The Many Faces Of Australian Cricket

Postby Going South » Thu May 24, 2018 9:21 am

i am talking about cricketers not fans. if any cricketers says that they value test cricket with pakistan over IPL, they are saying BS for the media. if you believe that BS you are naive.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu May 24, 2018 11:11 am

yeah totally naive to think professional sports players value loyalty over the almighty dollar

CA has to pay these contracted players handsomely to guarantee their 'loyalty'

Baggy is living in the 1960's.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sun May 27, 2018 1:40 am

naive.. living in the 60s. I dont think I am. I believe that most of our national cricketers would choose any time to slip on the baggy green over the riches of the IPL. I do not have a copy of the clip but recall watching somewhere where our top cricketers said they remain loyal to the Baggy green and that Test cricket was still the pinnacle for them. Yes I would be naive and living in the 60s if I believed that they would play for little money over the obscene prize money of T20 cricket. As you say Katto they are now paid handsomely.. but not I believe to buy their loyalty. That is in bred into every one our elite cricketers.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Sun May 27, 2018 6:00 am

baggygreenmania wrote:naive.. living in the 60s. I dont think I am. I believe that most of our national cricketers would choose any time to slip on the baggy green over the riches of the IPL. I do not have a copy of the clip but recall watching somewhere where our top cricketers said they remain loyal to the Baggy green and that Test cricket was still the pinnacle for them. Yes I would be naive and living in the 60s if I believed that they would play for little money over the obscene prize money of T20 cricket. As you say Katto they are now paid handsomely.. but not I believe to buy their loyalty. That is in bred into every one our elite cricketers.

that's media PR training

players will always say what is acceptable from a public relations point of view

Australian players are no different to players from other nations in regard to where their loyalties lay. They're professionals, they need to make a living. If they weren't paid well enough they'd retire from international cricket just like AB De Villiers and seek a living elsewhere. The sacrifices are too great. The baggy green is a myth created by Steve Waugh when the power of captaincy went to his head.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sun May 27, 2018 9:50 am

Since you guys don't follow IPL (at least not closely), just a quick update from an Aussie point of view.

It's been a poor Aussie showing in the IPL this year, except for Andrew Tye, who tops the wickets tally and has been excellent.

Otherwise,
Maxwell - failure
D'Arcy Short - superflop
Stanlake - started off well, then got injured
Watson - got one 100, and the odd decent score but really hasn't set the stage on fire
Finch - poor/average (I'd say poor, considering potential)
Chris Lynn - poor/average (I'd say poor, considering potential)
Mitch Johnson - poor
Stoinis - poor/average (I'd say poor, considering potential)

I think this is the worst IPL showing ever by the Aussies.

In contrast, overseas players from other countries have done very well and won many games for their franchise.

Buttler - superb
Rashid Khan (Afg) - superstar
Mujeeb (Afg) - superb
Russell - very good
Narine - pretty good
Williamson - superb
McClenaghan - ok
Bravo - very good
Jofra Archer - very good
ABDV - excellent
Boult - pretty good

The standout poor non-Aussie overseas player is Ben Stokes. His franchise paid a fortune for him - he failed throughout.

Today is the last day of the IPL.

The final is between Chennai Superkings (Dhoni as captain) and Sunrisers Hyderabad (Williamson as captain).

We get to see what Watto can do today.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Sun May 27, 2018 10:37 am

hmm. yes raja. Aussie T20 skill levels has gone down this year. Smith & Warner are dearly missed. Competition is wide open among Australian cricketers aiming to make a name in IPL as the franchises look for alternatives to the non performing players. I am eager to see more younger Australians make a name in IPL. Good luck!

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Sun May 27, 2018 1:17 pm

we're in an era where we don't really have any star players other than Smith

a few others have bypassed IPL this year for various reasons

contracted CA players don't really have any incentive to play in it if they're managing workload

it was a long season for Australian players and IPL should really be their offseason

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Mon May 28, 2018 6:17 am

raja wrote:Since you guys don't follow IPL (at least not closely), just a quick update from an Aussie point of view.

It's been a poor Aussie showing in the IPL this year, except for Andrew Tye, who tops the wickets tally and has been excellent.

Otherwise,
Maxwell - failure
D'Arcy Short - superflop
Stanlake - started off well, then got injured
Watson - got one 100, and the odd decent score but really hasn't set the stage on fire
Finch - poor/average (I'd say poor, considering potential)
Chris Lynn - poor/average (I'd say poor, considering potential)
Mitch Johnson - poor
Stoinis - poor/average (I'd say poor, considering potential)

I think this is the worst IPL showing ever by the Aussies.

In contrast, overseas players from other countries have done very well and won many games for their franchise.

Buttler - superb
Rashid Khan (Afg) - superstar
Mujeeb (Afg) - superb
Russell - very good
Narine - pretty good
Williamson - superb
McClenaghan - ok
Bravo - very good
Jofra Archer - very good
ABDV - excellent
Boult - pretty good

The standout poor non-Aussie overseas player is Ben Stokes. His franchise paid a fortune for him - he failed throughout.

Today is the last day of the IPL.

The final is between Chennai Superkings (Dhoni as captain) and Sunrisers Hyderabad (Williamson as captain).

We get to see what Watto can do today.

any updates?

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Mon May 28, 2018 6:21 am

Watto won the IPL for CSK singlehandedly.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Mon May 28, 2018 8:00 am

:o

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Mon May 28, 2018 10:34 am

Watto was just amazing in the final.
Sunrisers are known to have a potent bowling attack - and Watto, opening the innings, started very shakily.
He got his first run off the 11th delivery he faced!

Ended up with 117 off 57!

Obviously Man of the Match.
Though Ngidi (also from CSK) bowled very well too.

http://www.cricbuzz.com/live-cricket-sc ... eague-2018

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Mon May 28, 2018 10:46 am

CHENNAI SUPER KINGS
Shane Watson
Matches: 15

Runs: 555 at an average of 39.6

100/50: 2/2

High score: 117*

Strike rate: 154.6

Wickets: 6 at an average of 41

Economy rate: 9

Best bowling: 1/16

Arguably Australia’s most damaging representative and, disappointingly, not on the radar for international selection having announced his retirement last year. Batting with a strained hamstring, Watson smashed a match-winning hundred in the final, breaking the record for the highest individual score in an IPL decider.

DELHI DAREDEVILS
Glenn Maxwell
Matches: 12

Runs: 169 at an average of 14.1

100/50: 0/0

High score: 47

Strike rate: 140.8

Wickets: 5 at 26.4

Economy rate: 8.25

Best bowling: 2/22

Paid millions to be there and flopped to the point where he was dropped for the back end of the tournament. Was down on last year in nearly every statistical category. Should benefit from a change of format and will likely feature in Langer’s first team.

Dan Christian
Matches: 4

Runs: 26 at an average of 13

High score: 13

Strike rate: 78.8

Wickets: 4 at an average of 25.3

Economy rate: 8.5

Best bowling: 2/10

Did his bit with the ball when called upon but featured primarily as a depth player. Seems to have lost his explosiveness at the crease, hitting just one boundary in three innings.

KOLKATA KNIGHT RIDERS
Chris Lynn
Matches: 16

Runs: 491 at an average of 32.7

100/50: 0/3

High score: 74

Strike rate: 130.2

Had a disappointing tournament, which is testament to Lynn’s freakish ability. Endured a shoulder injury and, at times, batted within himself while opening partner Sunil Narine teed off. That notwithstanding, it’s still strange he wasn’t selected in Australia’s ODI or T20I squads.

Mitchell Johnson
Matches: 6

Wickets: 2 at an average of 108.

Economy rate: 10.3

Best bowling: 1/30

Ouch. Looked short a yard of pace and seemed affected by an extended period on the sidelines. Wasn’t helped by KKR’s roster of strong international talent.

KING’S XI PUNJAB
Aaron Finch
Matches: 10

Runs: 134 at an average of 16.8

High score: 46

Strike rate: 134

A disappointing tournament from Finch, who managed just 14 boundaries – six fours and eight sixes – in his 10 innings. Stands as one of the more senior figures in Australia’s ODI set up and will need to regain form soon.

Marcus Stoinis
Matches: 7

Runs: 99 at an average of 24.8

High score: 29*

Strike rate: 130.7

Wickets: 3 at an average of 40

Economy rate: 10.9

Best bowling: 1/15

Was restricted by a shoulder injury and showed only glimpses when fit. Is fully recovered now and training with the national squad in Queensland.

Andrew Tye
Matches: 14

Wickets: 24 at an average of 18.7

Economy rate: 7.6

Best bowling: 5/17

Arguably Australia’s best import – perhaps alongside Watson – and has done everything he can to hold his place in Australia’s ODI pace attack. Claimed the purple cap as the competition’s leading wicket-taker, bagging four wickets or more on four occasions.

Ben Dwarshuis
Dwashuis didn’t manage a game for Kings XI but is on the radar of Australia’s selectors and will be better for the experience. Was selected in the national T20 squad at the end of last year but spent that tournament carrying the drinks as well.

MUMBAI INDIANS
Ben Cutting
Matches: 9

Runs: 96 at an average of 24

High score: 37

Strike rate: 165.5

Wickets: 2 at an average of 84

Economy rate: 9.9

Best bowling: 1/12

Once near the front of the queue for a Test berth as a pace bowler, Cutting now provides more value as a power-hitting batsman. Hit a few long balls for Rajasthan and nearly pulled off an impossible comeback against Delhi with a blinding 37.

RAJASTHAN ROYALS
D’Arcy Short

Runs: 115

High score: 44 at an average of 16.42

Strike rate: 116.16

Wickets: 1 at an average of 19

Economy rate: 6.33

Is expected to open the batting in England with Aaron Finch, despite a modest tournament. Let’s put this one down as a learning experience. Still new to the international scene and has bags of talent.

Ben Laughlin

Wickets: 9 at an average of 23.4

Economy rate: 10

Best bowling: 2/15

Played well when called upon, which wasn’t often. Was reportedly close to a surprise call-up for Australia’s T20I squad last year, but missed out.

ROYAL CHALLENGERS BANGALORE
No Australian players featured on RCB’s roster.

SUNRISERS HYDERABAD
Billy Stanlake
Matches: 4

Wickets: 5 at an average of 26

Economy rate: 8.1

Best bowling: 2/21

Didn’t get a heap of airtime but played well enough when on the park. Flew home in April with a finger injury but should be fit to face England.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/cricket/ho ... b88849447z