Cook Resigns

This is the forum for discussion of all cricketing issues and news. Here you will find frank analysis and opinion on subjects ranging from selection policies, favourite cricketers and match post-mortems right through to dressing room and cricket board fiascos.
Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
United Kingdom

Cook Resigns

Postby Boycs » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:25 am

Alastair Cook: England captain resigns after a record 59 Tests
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/38376729

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Re: Cook Resigns

Postby Boycs » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:28 am

Successor will be chosen by Feb 22. Though no prizes for guessing who that will be....

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:57 am

2013 under Cook England beat India is great Achievements.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:05 am

Misty wrote:2013 under Cook England beat India is great Achievements.

I agree I think that's his greatest achievement as a captain.

Batting in India then, and in the 2010/11 Ashes, have been his greatest achievements with the bat.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:05 am

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/story/1081287.html

Alastair Cook has stepped down from his role after 59 Tests as England captain.

Appointed in August 2012, Cook led the team in more Test matches than any other England captain. His record includes Ashes victories at home in 2013 and 2015, as well as series wins in India and South Africa. With 24 Test wins, he is joint-second as England's most successful captain but, during the 4-0 defeat in India before Christmas, he also eclipsed Michael Atherton's record for defeats.

Cook discussed his decision with Colin Graves, the chairman of the ECB, on Sunday evening and has confirmed his continuing commitment to playing Test cricket to Andrew Strauss, England's team director, and the selectors. It is strongly suspected that Joe Root will be named as England's new captain, the 80th in their Test history, in the coming days.

Cook, 32, is England's most capped Test captain, has scored more Test centuries than any previous captain and is England's most prolific Test batsman with 11,057 runs in 140 Tests to date. He also led the one-day side on 69 occasions between 2010 and 2014, another England record.

During his five seasons at the helm he was named Wisden Cricketer of the Year (2012) and ICC World Test Captain (2013) and his services to the game were recognised with a CBE - collected at Buckingham Palace on Friday - to follow the MBE he was awarded in 2011.

Confirming his decision, Cook said: "It's been a huge honour to be England captain and to lead the Test team over the past five years.

"Stepping down has been an incredibly hard decision but I know this is the correct decision for me and at the right time for the team. I've had time to reflect after the India series and this weekend I spoke to Colin Graves to explain and offer my resignation.

"It's a sad day personally in many ways but I want to thank everyone I've captained, all the coaches and support staff and, of course, the England supporters and the Barmy Army who follow us home and away and have given us unwavering support.

"Playing for England really is a privilege and I hope to carry on as a Test player, making a full contribution and helping the next England captain and the team however I can."

Strauss, the man from whom Cook inherited the Test captaincy in 2012, paid tribute to his former opening partner and explained the next steps in appointing a successor.

"I want to thank Alastair, on behalf of the ECB and from a personal perspective, for the fantastic contribution that he's made to the England Test team since taking over as captain in 2012," Strauss said.

"His country owes him a great debt of gratitude; he's led the team with determination, conviction and a huge amount of pride over the last five years and his record stands for itself. With more matches leading the team than anyone, including two Ashes wins, he deserves to be seen as one of our country's great captains.

"Off the field as well as on, he has shown his strengths, developing the team and its culture, managing a fundamental transition and helping us to build for the future. As with all leaders, there have been times where circumstances have tested him but his resilience and temperament have helped him to prevail and to prosper.

"He has always served with the best interests of the team in the front of his mind and stays true to that as he steps down from the role. Alastair will be missed in his capacity as captain but I hope that he has a number of years left to add to his record-breaking feats as an opening batsman and look forward to his continued success.

"We now move on with the process of appointing the right successor. There are a number of established players who are playing formal or informal leadership roles and whilst we've rightly not spoken to anyone in relation to the Test captaincy so far, we can now talk fully and openly within the team. We expect to be able to make an announcement before the team head to the West Indies on February 22."

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:18 pm

Just been flicking through highlights of his 235 part of that 517/1. Massacres balls with the cut, pulls out crunching pull shots, but has a horribly flimsy looking cover drive - that shots never looked right for him it looks like his arms are made of fragile paper.

He isn't a dynamic enough a stroke maker for the short game despite what he might think. But a great test player when in form. Just not that exciting to watch.

I think it's more satisfying to come home from work and see that cook is 110* rather than sit and watch him make the runs....

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:41 pm

weak

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:11 pm

Katto wrote:weak

I can't think of many former captains who go on to have great second lives after they resign. What did ponting average post resignation?

Kumar was captain wasn't he and then had a great time with the bat. Can't remember if smith retired as captain or resigned first

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:37 am

I have always admired Alastair Cook for his great sportmanship, combative attitude and basicly because he is a good bloke and a superb batsman. He does, tho, have a fairly moderate captaincy record...59 tests-24 wins- 22 losses 7 draws a mere @40% win ratio.

Compare that with Autralia's best captain Steve Waugh..57- 41-9 @ 72% winning ratio. In fact of the top 10 captains Cookie is only ahead of four. Fleming, Ranatunga, Border and fellow countryman Mike Atherton.

I am surprised that AB, with his reputation for being aggressive and a pugilist that his record is so conservative with 38 of his 90 odd tests draws. After all he was called Captain Grumpy.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:01 pm

baggygreenmania wrote:I have always admired Alastair Cook for his great sportmanship, combative attitude and basicly because he is a good bloke and a superb batsman. He does, tho, have a fairly moderate captaincy record...59 tests-24 wins- 22 losses 7 draws a mere @40% win ratio.

Compare that with Autralia's best captain Steve Waugh..57- 41-9 @ 72% winning ratio. In fact of the top 10 captains Cookie is only ahead of four. Fleming, Ranatunga, Border and fellow countryman Mike Atherton.

I am surprised that AB, with his reputation for being aggressive and a pugilist that his record is so conservative with 38 of his 90 odd tests draws. After all he was called Captain Grumpy.

AB took over an Australian team in shambles. Possibly the weakest ever Aus team. He handed Mark Taylor over a super team that Steve Waugh took to dizzying heights. AB's reign as Captain is very interesting and I recommend it to any cricket fan of any country. AB is an international cricket treasure, even if he wore canary yellow.

But he would unashamedly take a draw to ensure winning a series any day of the week. He only had Warne and McGrath in his arsenal at the end of his tenure.
If any moderator or administrator is able to add Going South to my foe list, I would greatly appreciate it.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:04 pm

baggygreenmania wrote:I have always admired Alastair Cook for his great sportmanship, combative attitude and basicly because he is a good bloke and a superb batsman. He does, tho, have a fairly moderate captaincy record...59 tests-24 wins- 22 losses 7 draws a mere @40% win ratio.

To be fair to AB, he had probably the worst Aussie squads of the last 40 years. If you have a decent side, you can afford to push for a win. When you already have your back to the wall most of the times, despite all your aggression, your first goal is to just hang in there and not lose.

Given that terrible side, I'm not surprised Border was Captain Grumpy. :-) Getting thrashed in a home Ashes series by England, narrowly escaping a home series defeat against India for the first time ever....

A captain can only do so much. You've got to have a decent squad to start with, even if not a great one.
Clive Lloyd himself said, he hardly had to do much as captain. He just had to throw the ball to any of his bowlers, and they'd do the job. :-)

Steve Waugh had the services of Pidgeon, Gillespie, Lee, Warney and MacGill.
And Haydos, Langer, Martyn, Punter, Gilly for the batting, not to mention himself.

Compare this with the players Border had.

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:27 am

Cook has been a good Captain but not a great one, won in India but also lost 5-0 to Australia in 13-14 and India 4-0 this Summer. When his side was on top and going well he was fine but once they started losing he could not turn it around at all and they lost big.
Comparing Alan Border to Steve Waugh as captain guys? Cmon on. Border was never actually considered to be a future Australian Captain till Kim Hughes resigned in tears and AB was the only player certain of playing the next Test. Border not only had to rebuild a shambles of a team but at the same time develop his own Captaincy skills and Australia lost a lot of tests while this was going on. But finally by 89 had turned the corner and from then on Borders captaincy record is played : 59 won : 25 lost : 9. Steve Waugh never took the field with anything but a side full of champions.
Paddles, McGrath only played 4 tests under Border and took 12 wkts for 484 runs. Craig McDermott and Merv Hughes and then late in his tenure Shane Warne were his major strike weapons in the last couple of years. McGrath didn't really arrive as a major force in Test Cricket until the 95 tour of the Windies, a year after AB retired.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:58 am

AB had Jeff Thompson in his 85 Ashes team. No dissrespect to Thommo, but he was well past his best by then. That's how bad the squads AB had to work with. Seam bowling ironically was Aussie's strength during AB's tenure (bar Safrican rebel tourist unavailability for reserve depth or Bruce Reid just being fragile altogether) but the spin was terrible with Trevor Hohns, Greg Mathews and Peter Taylor heading the list. For batting - Greg Ritchie and Mike Velleta and many more players made Swampy Marsh look like a superstar. The batting was so bad there were batsman playing as wicket keeper and Greg Mathews a necessary allrounder until Steve Waugh emerged (and he only came good with the bat in 89 Ashes tour).

Quentessential Captain Grumpy - 1985 Ashes tour talking to Craig "Billy" McDermott - youtube it. AB later threatened to quit captaincy if players did not fight harder. AB's team lost yest series home and away to NZ. Lost Ashes home and away. He limited during yest match drinks between teams. And during his tenure - they did then fight harder. Him and Bob Simpson laid a foundation that Aus still benefit from. He was Captain Grumpy - but he got results and the players acted accordingly to his wishes for better results. He won a World Cup that his team had no expectations to perform well. Won in England in 89, and by the time Brendon Julian after hitting a 6 in 1993 Ashes tour was told - do that again and AB will drop you from the side - Aus was well on the way to knocking the Windies off their perch .

Kim Hughes getting mod ahead of Border is a non issue. AB as a possible captain was not in the paradigm - Rod Marsh's claims to succeed Greg Chappel were.
If any moderator or administrator is able to add Going South to my foe list, I would greatly appreciate it.

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:18 am

Paddles wrote:AB had Jeff Thompson in his 85 Ashes team. No dissrespect to Thommo, but he was well past his best by then. That's how bad the squads AB had to work with. Seam bowling was Aussie's strength during AB's tenure but the spin was terrible with Trevor Hohns, Greg Mathews and Peter Taylor heading the list. For batting - Greg Ritchie and Mike Velleta and many more players made Swampy Marsh look like a superstar. The batting was so bad there were batsman playing as wicket keeper and Greg Mathews a necessary allrounder until Steve Waugh emerged (and he only came good with the bat in 89 Ashes tour)..

The 85 team was crippled by the loss of players who went on the rebel South African tour, because even after the packer Cricket, CA was still to stingy to pay the players what they deserved. The biggest loss in 1985 was Terry Alderman aknd to a degree Carl Rackeman & Kim Hughes.
A lot of people who watched Shield Cricket in the late 80s will tell you that there were 2 Greg Mathews, the one who tended to bowl darts at test level and the one who use to flight them a lot more at Shield level. Greg Ritchie was a test class batsman but fitness and attitude was his worst enemy and along with Wayne Phillips & Andrew Hilditch was part of the clean out instigated by Bob Simpson.

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:21 am

Mick180461 wrote:
Paddles wrote:AB had Jeff Thompson in his 85 Ashes team. No dissrespect to Thommo, but he was well past his best by then. That's how bad the squads AB had to work with. Seam bowling was Aussie's strength during AB's tenure but the spin was terrible with Trevor Hohns, Greg Mathews and Peter Taylor heading the list. For batting - Greg Ritchie and Mike Velleta and many more players made Swampy Marsh look like a superstar. The batting was so bad there were batsman playing as wicket keeper and Greg Mathews a necessary allrounder until Steve Waugh emerged (and he only came good with the bat in 89 Ashes tour)..

The 85 team was crippled by the loss of players who went on the rebel South African tour, because even after the packer Cricket, CA was still to stingy to pay the players what they deserved. The biggest loss in 1985 was Terry Alderman and to a degree Carl Rackeman & Kim Hughes.
A lot of people who watched Shield Cricket in the late 80s will tell you that there were 2 Greg Mathews, the one who tended to bowl darts at test level and the one who use to flight them a lot more at Shield level. Greg Ritchie was a test class batsman but fitness and attitude was his worst enemy and along with Wayne Phillips & Andrew Hilditch was part of the clean out instigated by Bob Simpson.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:32 am

Mathews was a great cricketer. With his persona - it still took Steve Waugh's immense talents to keep him out of the team. But as a front line spinner - he was ordinary. Had his days, tho.

Australia consistantly have the most quality seamers. I can only think that Olympic track and field has left the Windies bereft of their best possible talents. Pakistan normally has 1 or 2 aces since Imran - and Safrica right now are fairly blessed. But the Aussie depth is very impressive at any one time far more consistently than any other nation in my opinion.
Last edited by Paddles on Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:48 am

Good points about AB Paddles, raja. He did inherit a basket case of an Aussie side and made it into a world beater. He was probably called Captain Grumpy because he would not tolerate anything less than 100%. I recall something said about the 1989 Aussie tourists when Botham was asked if this was the worst Australian side to tour England. I understand Botham's reply was "no not if Allan Border is captaining them" or words to that effect.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:24 am

Many captains will save criticism for the changing room or in private with coaches and selectors. AB would do it on the spot in the field as the game was in an era of becamming a multi-camera'd mic'd up specatacle globally post Packer. This may have influenced the nickname sticking with commentators and the viewing public no end. Botham himself was arguably even grumpier as a captain.

AB is one of my favourite cricketers of all time and my respect for him as a player and as a captain is immense. With both stars, rabble and then stars surrounding him again, AB showed his greatness both as a cricketer, cricketing figure and captain many times over. He is a truly an iconic cricketing treasure.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:35 am

Mick180461 wrote:

Cook has been a good Captain but not a great one, won in India but also lost 5-0 to Australia in 13-14 and India 4-0 this Summer. When his side was on top and going well he was fine but once they started losing he could not turn it around at all and they lost big.
Comparing Alan Border to Steve Waugh as captain guys? Cmon on. Border was never actually considered to be a future Australian Captain till Kim Hughes resigned in tears and AB was the only player certain of playing the next Test. Border not only had to rebuild a shambles of a team but at the same time develop his own Captaincy skills and Australia lost a lot of tests while this was going on. But finally by 89 had turned the corner and from then on Borders captaincy record is played : 59 won : 25 lost : 9. Steve Waugh never took the field with anything but a side full of champions.
Paddles, McGrath only played 4 tests under Border and took 12 wkts for 484 runs. Craig McDermott and Merv Hughes and then late in his tenure Shane Warne were his major strike weapons in the last couple of years. McGrath didn't really arrive as a major force in Test Cricket until the 95 tour of the Windies, a year after AB retired.

I'm well aware of McGrath under Border and subsequent spearhead standing later in Windies when Billy broke down just as I am Hughes being dropped to never play again where Warne was treated differently, arguably due to Pidge replacing Merv far more readily than McIntyre replacing Warne. Just as a Aus rugby fan follows the ABs - a NZC fan follows Australian cricket.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:47 am

I think it's fair to say that cooks captaincy didn't really have a major impact on team fortunes. When they were winning and he was relaxed and playing well, it was his runs that had the major impact. The captaincy didn't had a twelfth player to the team the way it may have done with Waugh or border

Certainly I don't see the kind of coach/captain influence that Strauss-Flower had on the team. Or the kind of influence that the current coach has introduced to the one day team (alongside the new one day players that is)

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:55 am

BoyCaught30 wrote:I think it's fair to say that cooks captaincy didn't really have a major impact on team fortunes. When they were winning and he was relaxed and playing well, it was his runs that had the major impact. The captaincy didn't had a twelfth player to the team the way it may have done with Waugh or border

Certainly I don't see the kind of coach/captain influence that Strauss-Flower had on the team. Or the kind of influence that the current coach has introduced to the one day team (alongside the new one day players that is)

With respect, I disagree with you on 12th player. Border and Waugh maximised the potential of 11 players whereas Brearley maximised a team of 10 players and chipped in some runs. Some captains - like Taylor say - did not fulfil their teams potential while at times being carried in the team in a Brearley like manner or worse (Bevan as 4th bowler). I know Taylor is much loved by many Aus fans for him getting the team past the Windies officially - but Border laid that platform and the talent was brought in under his reign.

Hadlee and Coney did not talk to each other for a while post the Alfa Romeo fiasco. Coney captained a Hadlee led attack to drawing the West Indies in their pomp is 1986/87. Was Coney dpecial or lucky? He'll tell you that he was lucky to have Hadlee and just rotated bowlers in between Hadlee bowling whom set his own fields and bowled his own plans.

To me the captain either earns his spot outright as a member of the xi or is there by virtue of his ability to enhance tge 10 guys under his leadership to winning. A captain who is not one of the xi best players is not uncommon for their skills as a leader but not ideal. Hence xi or x not xii. Is Brearley a cricketing icon? Yes. Great captain yes? Yes. 12th player? No - his batting was woeful meaning mere 11th player . Waugh and Border were both premium batsmen averaging over 50 in tests - but they did not reduce nor increase wickets had or needed by the opposition. I get your intended meaning - but I dislike the illogical conceptulisation of it.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:08 am

I merely meant that their captaincy was a further factor in the team's success as well as their batting or bowling. Whereas I don't think England won more games because Cook was captain, only because Cook was making runs.

But it's five thirty in the morning so who knows what I'm saying

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:11 am

BoyCaught30 wrote:I merely meant that their captaincy was a further factor in the team's success as well as their batting or bowling. Whereas I don't think England won more games because Cook was captain, only because Cook was making runs.

But it's five thirty in the morning so who knows what I'm saying

I get your meaning and appreciate the sentiment of it. I too like hyperbolic expressions - but I'm just not fond of the illogical conception of this one.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:00 am

One thing I didn't realise until the other day (just to bump this thread) Cook is the only player to have made 10,000 runs as an opener. Gavaskar (who I believe is the only Test opener with 10,000+ runs in general) made about 9,500 in the opening two slots and the rest in other positions.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Cook Resigns

Postby Going South » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:30 am

Ahahahaha.
I predicted it a long time back
Cook does not have enough juice in him to play for long time as captain.
Soon he would retire from test cricket too.

When he made couple of good scores the pundits had the gall to compare him to MASTER tendulkar as if he is going to beat his records in no time. BULLSHIT.

it's not a joke to be able to play test cricket for a decade long innings at the top of form churning 100 after 100 with crappy sidekicks. Have respect.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:24 pm

Going South wrote:
it's not a joke to be able to play test cricket for a decade long innings at the top of form churning 100 after 100 with crappy sidekicks. Have respect.

I agree, but are you talking about Sachin or Alastair? Both have done that.

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:36 pm