The Cowdrey dynasty comes to an end

Few sports fans are as keen to talk about records, classic matches, great players from the past etc as cricket buffs. This is where all such posts should be made. You will find an excellent library of cricket views, opinions and records here. Go ahead, be a classic cricket pundit. We take you seriously.
User avatar
Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
Posts: 11151
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:32 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
United Kingdom

The Cowdrey dynasty comes to an end

Postby Boycs » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:24 am

Fabian Cowdrey retires at the age of 24 to end the dynasty. His grandfather Colin was among the greatest of his era, his father Chris was a half decent county pro, and Fabian himself was a county cricket nobody who didn't do anything in top flight domestic cricket.

Given the progressive dilution of talent from the great MCC I doubt any of fabians kids will pick up a cricket bat to any great degree.

A moments silence to remember nostalgically the great baron Colin cowdrey. And let's this of Dennis Compton and his descendant Nick.

User avatar
Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
Posts: 11151
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:32 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
United Kingdom

Re: The Cowdrey dynasty comes to an end

Postby Boycs » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:24 am

I'm sure raja has fond memories of watching Colin

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 1164
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:28 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Australia

Re: The Cowdrey dynasty comes to an end

Postby Mick180461 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:34 am

BoyCaught30 wrote:Fabian Cowdrey retires at the age of 24 to end the dynasty. His grandfather Colin was among the greatest of his era, his father Chris was a half decent county pro, and Fabian himself was a county cricket nobody who didn't do anything in top flight domestic cricket.

Given the progressive dilution of talent from the great MCC I doubt any of fabians kids will pick up a cricket bat to any great degree.

A moments silence to remember nostalgically the great baron Colin cowdrey. And let's this of Dennis Compton and his descendant Nick.

Chris Cowdrey has got one big thing in common with Dad, he captained England, in the summer of the 4 Capatains 1988, Gatting, Emburey(2), Cowdrey & Gooch in just 5 tests against the might of the Windies, not surprisingly they lost 4-0.

User avatar
raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 27799
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:14 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Pakistan

Re: The Cowdrey dynasty comes to an end

Postby raja » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:37 am

Colin Cowdrey's Test career was almost entirely before my time. :-)
Though I do remember him being recalled at the age of 42 to play in the Ashes 1974-75.
That's one of my favourite series. :-)

User avatar
raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 27799
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:14 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Pakistan

Re: The Cowdrey dynasty comes to an end

Postby raja » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:41 am

There are a few overseas cricketers who were immensely popular with older generation Indian cricket fans.
(well, older than me, then :-) ).

Colin Cowdrey was one of them.
A few others: Neil Harvey, Gary Sobers, Rohan Kanhai.

User avatar
Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
Posts: 11151
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:32 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
United Kingdom

Re: The Cowdrey dynasty comes to an end

Postby Boycs » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:14 pm

They love Greig too don't they? Though I know he's not as old as the 'older generation' you are referring to.

User avatar
raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 27799
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:14 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Pakistan

Re: The Cowdrey dynasty comes to an end

Postby raja » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:25 pm

BoyCaught30 wrote:They love Greig too don't they? Though I know he's not as old as the 'older generation' you are referring to.

Greig won over some Indian fans in 1972-73 when he lifted little Vishwanath when the latter reached a century.
Greig was 6' 6" tall, Vishwanath was 5' 1" or so.
When Vishwanath got his hundred, Greig lifted him like someone rocks a baby. :-)

Another player I've heard oldtimers speak highly of was Peter May.

User avatar
Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
Posts: 11151
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:32 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
United Kingdom

Re: The Cowdrey dynasty comes to an end

Postby Boycs » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:07 pm

I think if you tour India with grace and good humour then you tend to be quite well liked.

Poor Australians..... :D

User avatar
raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 27799
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:14 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Pakistan

Re: The Cowdrey dynasty comes to an end

Postby raja » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:26 am

BoyCaught30 wrote:I think if you tour India with grace and good humour then you tend to be quite well liked.

Poor Australians..... :D


Haha...I don't think this was about grace and good humour but you did see a chance and closed in, credit for that. :-)

Every player I've mentioned was attractive to watch.

I'm actually not even sure May toured India. :-)

In case of Greig probably your comment holds good. Though he was quite an annoying character for opponents. :-)

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 4153
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:13 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
Zimbabwe

Re: The Cowdrey dynasty comes to an end

Postby Misty » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:30 am

Smith offer beer to rahane but Rahane not accept the offer, smith also says '' its over of test series, we are team mate in IPL team''. so virat's comments on '' Australia and Indian players are no more friends'' not true.

I strongly believes kohli need to Grow up now.

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 4153
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:13 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
Zimbabwe

Re: The Cowdrey dynasty comes to an end

Postby Misty » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:34 am

raja wrote:
BoyCaught30 wrote:They love Greig too don't they? Though I know he's not as old as the 'older generation' you are referring to.

Greig won over some Indian fans in 1972-73 when he lifted little Vishwanath when the latter reached a century.
Greig was 6' 6" tall, Vishwanath was 5' 1" or so.
When Vishwanath got his hundred, Greig lifted him like someone rocks a baby. :-)

Another player I've heard oldtimers speak highly of was Peter May.


I still have that newspaper in my house in USA.(Greig /Vishy)
If mohd Irfan hold Ashwell prince they also looks same
Or Finn holds to Jennings or James Taylor could be same.

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 4153
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:13 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
Zimbabwe

Re: The Cowdrey dynasty comes to an end

Postby Misty » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:36 am

English player HARDING barely 20 years old, I think more than 7 feet tall, he was on TV other day during Dubai matches

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 1164
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:28 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Australia

Re: The Cowdrey dynasty comes to an end

Postby Mick180461 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:54 am

BoyCaught30 wrote:I think if you tour India with grace and good humour then you tend to be quite well liked.

Poor Australians..... :D

You forgot treat Kohli like a god and don't keep getting him out cheaply.

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 3681
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0

Re: The Cowdrey dynasty comes to an end

Postby Paddles » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:39 am

Fabian is a motorsport racers' name. It is flamboyant. It is fancy. Not a cricketers name. The best cricketers have plain names like Steve, Chris, Martin, Mark, Allan, Richard, and Mohammad.

Vivian is about fancy as it gets.

Doomed to fail.

Has Dean Headley had any talented sons?
If any moderator or administrator is able to add Going South to my foe list, I would greatly appreciate it.

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 1164
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:28 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Australia

Re: The Cowdrey dynasty comes to an end

Postby Mick180461 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:15 am

Paddles wrote:Fabian is a motorsport racers' name. It is flamboyant. It is fancy. Not a cricketers name. The best cricketers have plain names like Steve, Chris, Martin, Mark, Allan, Richard, and Mohammad.

Vivian is about fancy as it gets.

Doomed to fail.

Has Dean Headley had any talented sons?

You can throw in the Macgill dynasty here in OZ too, both Stu's father & Grandfather played Shield cricket for West OZ. Stu does have a son, saw them together attending a 50 over domestic game a few years back but haven't heard anything of him.

Garfield St Auburn Sobers. Would have to take the cake for the most unique Cricketing name.
Cuthbert Gordon Greenidge.
Alvin Kalicherran. Sounds like a chipmunk.
Norbert Phillip. Eddie Murphys brother.

The Windies win all the prizes for most unique names for more modern players. Go back to the turn of the 20th century and there was some doozies.

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 1164
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:28 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Australia

Re: The Cowdrey dynasty comes to an end

Postby Mick180461 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:37 am

raja wrote:There are a few overseas cricketers who were immensely popular with older generation Indian cricket fans.
(well, older than me, then :-) ).

Colin Cowdrey was one of them.
A few others: Neil Harvey, Gary Sobers, Rohan Kanhai.

Could have played for India, being born in Bangalore to English parents. Did you know that Colins father deliberately named him so that he's initials spelled MCC. Definetly a son of the British Empire.

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 3681
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0

Re: The Cowdrey dynasty comes to an end

Postby Paddles » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:44 am

Mick180461 wrote:
Paddles wrote:Fabian is a motorsport racers' name. It is flamboyant. It is fancy. Not a cricketers name. The best cricketers have plain names like Steve, Chris, Martin, Mark, Allan, Richard, and Mohammad.

Vivian is about fancy as it gets.

Doomed to fail.

Has Dean Headley had any talented sons?

You can throw in the Macgill dynasty here in OZ too, both Stu's father & Grandfather played Shield cricket for West OZ. Stu does have a son, saw them together attending a 50 over domestic game a few years back but haven't heard anything of him.

Garfield St Auburn Sobers. Would have to take the cake for the most unique Cricketing name.
Cuthbert Gordon Greenidge.
Alvin Kalicherran. Sounds like a chipmunk.
Norbert Phillip. Eddie Murphys brother.

The Windies win all the prizes for most unique names for more modern players. Go back to the turn of the 20th century and there was some doozies.


Turn of the 20th century their team was majority if not all white of colonial British gentlemen? The 1st test team of 1928 had a Cyril nickname Snuffy, but while there's some British aristocratic names - nothing as exotic as Fabian. Fabian is not an Anglo Aristocratic name.

Do you mean 21st century?

Garfield was a lot more common name until a certain cartoon came along. I'd be surprised if it was unique - (its not). Cuthbert was a saint. Norbert and Alvin are dated but not exotic - they are merely Aristocratic (like Garfield). Perhaps BoyCaught30 wants to share some British aristocratic doozies of names. But I imagine as Britain's influence in the West Indies diminishes over time - the names in the Carribbean will become more flamoyant and exotic.
If any moderator or administrator is able to add Going South to my foe list, I would greatly appreciate it.

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 1164
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:28 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Australia

Re: The Cowdrey dynasty comes to an end

Postby Mick180461 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:09 pm

Paddles wrote:
Mick180461 wrote:You can throw in the Macgill dynasty here in OZ too, both Stu's father & Grandfather played Shield cricket for West OZ. Stu does have a son, saw them together attending a 50 over domestic game a few years back but haven't heard anything of him.

Garfield St Auburn Sobers. Would have to take the cake for the most unique Cricketing name.
Cuthbert Gordon Greenidge.
Alvin Kalicherran. Sounds like a chipmunk.
Norbert Phillip. Eddie Murphys brother.

The Windies win all the prizes for most unique names for more modern players. Go back to the turn of the 20th century and there was some doozies.


Turn of the 20th century their team was majority if not all white of colonial British gentlemen? The 1st test team of 1928 had a Cyril nickname Snuffy, but while there's some British aristocratic names - nothing as exotic as Fabian. Fabian is not an Anglo Aristocratic name.

Do you mean 21st century?

Garfield was a lot more common name until a certain cartoon came along. I'd be surprised if it was unique - (its not). Cuthbert was a saint. Norbert and Alvin are dated but not exotic - they are merely Aristocratic (like Garfield). Perhaps BoyCaught30 wants to share some British aristocratic doozies of names. But I imagine as Britain's influence in the West Indies diminishes over time - the names in the Carribbean will become more flamoyant and exotic.

With Sobers I'm pretty sure his middle name is unique, St Auburn, it was more about the combination of the name Garfield St Auburn i was referring to.

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 1164
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:28 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Australia

Re: The Cowdrey dynasty comes to an end

Postby Mick180461 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:28 pm

Of course the greatest dynasty in Australian Cicket history would have to be the Gregorys.

Dave Gregory, Australias first Captain
His brothers
Charles Gregory(1) played 2 FC games
Ned Gregory, played 1 test
Arthur Gregory 6 FC games

Neds sons
Syd one of Australias early greats, played 58 tests (a record for decades after)
Charles (2) played 31 FC matches

Charles (1) son
Jack probably Australias 2nd best Allrounder behind Keith Miller

The dynasty Probably reached its zenith with the last member Jack, who still holds the record for the fastest test century timewise just 70 mins (67 balls).

User avatar
raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 27799
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:14 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Pakistan

Re: The Cowdrey dynasty comes to an end

Postby raja » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:28 am

Agree on Gregory dynasty.

Syd Gregory, apart from being a fine batsman, was one of the world's greatest fielders, especially at cover point.

And Jack Gregory has long been a favourite of mine. Have picked him in multiple drafts on this forum.

The Ted McDonald - Jack Gregory fast bowling partnership though it was only for a brief period, was much talked-about, esp because of their exploits on that 1921 Ashes tour.

User avatar
squarecut
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 2013
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:06 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 3
India

Re: The Cowdrey dynasty comes to an end

Postby squarecut » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:02 pm

Then there was Vic Richardson and his grandsons the Chappels.

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 4153
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:13 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
Zimbabwe

Re: The Cowdrey dynasty comes to an end

Postby Misty » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:58 pm

Lala Amaranth and his Grandson Digvijay Amaranth, son of Shrinder amaranth.Digvijay's
Two uncle Mohinder and Rajinder too, very popular.

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 4153
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:13 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
Zimbabwe

Re: The Cowdrey dynasty comes to an end

Postby Misty » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:10 pm

Gemma Broad was Performance Analyst for England ODI team while Gemma's brother Stuart broad is England's fast bowler.Broad's dad, Chris Broad popular for his 3 consecutive century in 3 test Ashes series 1986 but his career over at the age of 30.

I doubt Gemma's Grandfather had any connection with cricket, personally.