Neville Cardus on the Roses rivalry

Few sports fans are as keen to talk about records, classic matches, great players from the past etc as cricket buffs. This is where all such posts should be made. You will find an excellent library of cricket views, opinions and records here. Go ahead, be a classic cricket pundit. We take you seriously.
raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Cash on hand: Locked
Pakistan

Neville Cardus on the Roses rivalry

Postby raja » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:08 am

There's a reason Neville Cardus is considered without peer.

This is an absolutely delightful read.
Especially the "conversations" after the 1924 match. :-)

http://www.espncricinfo.com/cricketer/c ... 35465.html

Jamesicus
CF Debutant
Cash on hand: Locked
United States of America

Re: Neville Cardus on the Roses rivalry

Postby Jamesicus » Thu May 18, 2017 1:45 pm

raja wrote:There's a reason Neville Cardus is considered without peer.

This is an absolutely delightful read .........

I am a newcomer here so please forgive my clumsiness. Thank you for posting that raja. It brought back some nostalgic memories for me. My father's side of the family were all Yorkshiremen and my mother's side all Lancastrians. I was born and grew up in Burnley, Lancashire (just on the western side of the Pennines). The (cricket) "Wars of the Roses" rivalry was going strong in those days (1930s and 1940s) so, in order to avoid any heckling and in accordance with my roots, I wore my schoolboy hat with a red rose badge whenever the rivalry matches were played in Lancashire (mostly at Old Trafford) and my cap with a white rose badge when the matches were played in Yorkshire (mostly at Headingley). I went to a number of those matches in those days (pre WW2 and post WW2) -- I lived close to Manchester and it was only a short trip to Leeds.