Douglas Wright et al

Few sports fans are as keen to talk about records, classic matches, great players from the past etc as cricket buffs. This is where all such posts should be made. You will find an excellent library of cricket views, opinions and records here. Go ahead, be a classic cricket pundit. We take you seriously.
raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Cash on hand: Locked
Pakistan

Douglas Wright et al

Postby raja » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:24 pm

I love reading about yesteryear cricketers - and have spent many hours of my life (might add up to years) reading about them.

Last night, I was reading about Maurice Turnbull, Harry Gimblett, James Langridge, Stan Nichols - that generation.

Today, I felt like reading up on Douglas Wright. The first time I heard of him was when I was a young boy and came across a book written by him.

He was a fine bowler - leg-breaks/googlies. Erratic (as many of this type are) but still always wicket-taking.

As with many other cricketers, the Second World War robbed him of precious years.

He made his Test debut in 1938 and played his last Test in 1951.

Here's an obit in The Independent. Enjoyable read.

Way more enjoyable than reading about current cricketers. :-)

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 86016.html

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Re: Douglas Wright et al

Postby raja » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:46 pm

And here's an obit about Reg Simpson, another fine cricketer.
Len Hutton was THE big name at the time but Reg Simpson was a fine batsman in his own right.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obitu ... 78628.html

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
Bank: Locked
United Kingdom

Re: Douglas Wright et al

Postby Boycs » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:31 pm

There's a Douglas Wright who played five games in the 1930s so I was wondering what you were on about until I found your chap under Doug Wright. That's an impressive FC wicket haul

Return to “Classic Cricket Forum”