We can retrieve threads from here if needed
Asim
CF Champion
CF Champion
Cash on hand: Locked

Re: 2nd Test: England v India at Lord's, July 17-21 2014

Postby Asim » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:25 pm

Asim wrote:
VijayArumugam wrote:Where does this win compare to the previous ones achieved on the English soil?

1971 Oval:

This has to be a special win for India, coming on the heels of the famous win at the Queen's Park Oval in the Caribbean. This helped India to break the test duck in the UK.

1986 Lord's

This win was achieved against an English side in disarray. Even New Zealand had won the series in the prior series in England. Still, India had to win over there, given the fact that they couldn't finish off a poor Australia at the MCG in 1985-86.

1986 Headingley

Roger Binny and Dilip Vengsarkar were the heroes as India ran riot and won its first series win over in England.

2002 Headingley

This is easily the most important test win for India in the post-2000 era. This game had political, commercial and cricketing significance. There was almost a player mutiny and the Indian captain handled the things very well. It's a template for good captaincy, courageous batting and so many other things, that India had sorely lacked before and since then.

2007 Trent Bridge

Unfortunately, this win doesn't get the credit it deserves. Yes, India had the better of the conditions and Zaheer and Rudra Pratap Singh showed their mastery, with a very good hand from the experienced Sachin Tendulkar.

2014 Lord's

If 2002 Headingley was our most significant for Indian cricket, 2014 Lord's is the most significant for Mahi Dhoni. This could define his captaincy. I've never seen Dhoni show so much enthusiasm on the field for a test. This is a young side and this could be a beginning of something very special.

Ajinkya Rahane's first-day innings could be historically as signficant as Rahul Dravid's 148 at Headingely in 2002.

My ratings:

1971 Oval
2002 Headingley
2014 Lord's
1986 Lord's
1986 Headingely
2007 Trent Bridge

None of the wins in Aus under Ganguly and Kumble?

Just realized it's only the wins in Eng, Wat would be your top 5-10 away wins?
It is not often u com across a quality individual who lives n breathes loyalty 2 his country n teammates.His individual contribution has been outstanding despite continuing unwarranted n unfair criticism that he gets from both media n public–Dav on Misbah

Verity
CF Champion
CF Champion

Postby Verity » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:50 pm

Holy Crap, Ishant Sharma comes too the party, Well Done India, Cook will be close to losing captaincy surly
Go to Live Games Forum to take part in "I hold a gun to your head" Games.

shourey
CF Senior
CF Senior
United States of America

Postby shourey » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:29 pm

Dhoni Instructs :
"That last over before lunch, Ishant didn't really want to bowl short, I was like, 'you have to bowl it,' I turned the other way round. He got his wicket and then it gave him the confidence to keep bowling short, keep attacking the batsman. I think it was a fantastic performance."

Ishant complies :
He told me, 'you are tall enough, you have to bowl the bouncer,' that's what I did and it worked for me."

Has anti-Indian and anti-Dhoni monger Ganguli reacted yet in disgust to this Indian win ?

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:33 pm

Lol shourey. Ganguly need to answer this. How dare he ignore this?
Just because they won they tell all sort of stories. If they lost all would shut up and be quiet. They sure got bragging rights. You can't control them if they won series too. Sigh!

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:45 pm

Headingley 2002:England's then rising star all-rounder Flintoff got a pair
Lord's 2014: England's current rising star all-rounder Stokes gets a pair.

shourey
CF Senior
CF Senior
United States of America

Postby shourey » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:49 pm

@Going South
Someone should issue a 'show-cause' notice to Ganguli, to answer 'Why India won ? ', failing a satisfactory answer, BCCI should sack him from whatever posts/privileges he may have cornered so far.

Atleast Raja, should speak up for Ganguli :)

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:57 pm

VijayArumugam wrote:2002 Headingley

This is easily the most important test win for India in the post-2000 era. This game had political, commercial and cricketing significance. There was almost a player mutiny and the Indian captain handled the things very well. It's a template for good captaincy, courageous batting and so many other things, that India had sorely lacked before and since then.

My ratings:

1971 Oval
2002 Headingley
2014 Lord's
1986 Lord's
1986 Headingely
2007 Trent Bridge

What political, commercial and cricketing significance did this game have? I remember the game but I can't remember now the non-cricketing aspects of it.

That part, I'd rate today's win higher than this 2002 Headingley game, I think. The side that toured in 2002 was much stronger (on paper, and even otherwise) than this 2014 side. So what these guys have achieved here at Lord's is that much more creditable. Especially after losing the toss, they could so easily have conceded a 150 run lead on first innings. Full credit to Rahane and Bhuvi for taking BCCI to a decent score after being 145/7.

One thing that Dhoni mentioned in the post-match interview - and I noticed too - is that BCCI batsmen made an effort not to throw their wicket away in this Test. He specifically mentioned 2011 - this is a lesson learnt from that tour. Was very glad to hear that.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:59 pm

shourey wrote:@Going South
Someone should issue a 'show-cause' notice to Ganguli, to answer 'Why India won ? ', failing a satisfactory answer, BCCI should sack him from whatever posts/privileges he may have cornered so far.

Atleast Raja, should speak up for Ganguli :)

:grin:

Of course. I am Ganguly's biggest fan here, right? Sorry, second-biggest, after you, Shourey bhai. :grin:

Verity
CF Champion
CF Champion

Postby Verity » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:18 pm

Ali played that bouncer badly, good ball though.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:54 pm

Nitin Sundar blogs about this Lord's win.
---------------------------------------------------

THE IMPORTANCE OF LORD’S
JULY 21, 2014 KNITTINS LEAVE A COMMENT

Days from now, after the euphoria has worn off, Lord’s 2014 will be judged as it should be – in comparison to India’s other wins outside the subcontinent since the turn of the century. At first glance, Lord’s may not seem to hold a candle to those classics.

Lord’s lacked the sheer derring-do of Headingley, 2001. It didn’t come against opponents as robotically ruthless as the Australian battalion at Adelaide, 2003. Despite the verdant first-day pitch, it didn’t happen in conditions as treacherous as those in Kingston, 2006, or even Durban, 2010. It didn’t come against the odds in the manner that Johannesburg, 2006 did. And, despite Jadanderson, Lord’s didn’t come in an atmosphere as heavy and fractious as Perth, 2008.

All of this is true. And yet, Lord’s will stand out as special for the following reasons, listed in no particular order:

1. Lord’s is where India rediscovered that they could again win away from home. After 15 winless Tests in four different continents, they have turned the corner. This isn’t a flash in the pan. The previous generation went 15 years without a win outside Asia, but once they broke the jinx in Trinidad in 2002, the away wins began to stack up steadily.

2. Lord’s was also where India discovered they could win away without Tendulkar. Or Dravid. Or Laxman. Or Sehwag. Or Kumble. Or Zaheer. Heck, this win is a new benchmark for a new generation. This is their Adelaide. The kids who made this happen don’t have the pedigree of their predecessors. They may not end up having careers as celebrated. But they will always have Lord’s.

3. This is the rebirth of MS Dhoni as a captain. India have recently floundered from winning positions in away Tests, and often due to Dhoni’s tendency to let the game drift without knocking out an opponent on the ropes. It was perhaps to his advantage that India were never quite in a position of dominance in this Test. If Dhoni had a target of 450 to play with, who knows – he may have not shuffled his bowlers with as much relentlessness as he did on the fourth evening. Instead of giving Ishant Sharma a leg-trap and a mandate to bowl bouncers on Day 5, he may have set a 7-2 field with a deep point and waited for the second new ball, unintentionally allowing Root and Moeen to get entrenched. Lord’s didn’t allow Dhoni to let the game drift, and he responded in a refreshingly positive manner.

4. This win wouldn’t have been possible without Ajinkya Rahane’s daring 100 on the first day. But despite Rahane’s ton, it took Bhuvneshwar’s runs in both innings, and his splendid six-for in the first to keep India in touch. For all that Bhuvneshwar did, it was M Vijay’s monkish 95 that blunted England (the workload is sure to have an effect on England in the coming Tests) when they were set to carve through India’s batting in the second innings. Yet, after Vijay’s exit, England would have had a meagre target to chase if not for Ravindra Jadeja’s counter-attack that swung the match on the fourth evening.

This was the most significant contribution in Rahane’s, or Bhuvneshwar’s, or Vijay’s, or Jadeja’s relatively short Test career. Each of them deserved to be Man of the Match, but the gong went to Ishant Sharma, who in over 50 Tests, hasn’t bowled a more important spell for India. When was the last time five players of the same team simultaneously produced their best performances in the same Test?

5. And to think that India produced this win despite fielding a non-player in Stuart Binny, and without a contribution from their two best batsmen – Virat Kohli and Cheteshwar Pujara. It can only get better from here.

Yes, this win came against a broken team. England were intent on harming themselves off the field with curious boardroom talk, and by keeping their best player out, and on the field by choosing to die hooking when the Test match was there to be won. While Jadeja fed off the Jadanderson shenanigans, Anderson clearly was worse off for it. England will now grapple with questions on the captain, the coach, the team management, the wicketkeeper, the most promising find of their Ashes misadventure (Ben Stokes will surely struggle to keep his spot after this run of scores), and their best batsman. How far can Kevin Pietersen be from a comeback to a new-look England?

Don’t let England’s mediocrity take away from India’s win. Victory at Lord’s doesn’t come often. In some cases, not for 28 years.

http://knittins.wordpress.com/2014/07/2 ... -of-lords/

TedWard
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby TedWard » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:56 pm

vandy wrote:Fox Sports the broadcasters here in oz must be really pissed with the Indian victory they are not even showing the match presentations, talk about

ASSHOLES !!!! producer is probably a POM. ;)

Kingsholmmad if you come across any english commentators in that dark corner give them a tissue for me, fukn sooks. :P

This link may work for you if you want to watch the presentations: http://www.cricgossip.com/showthread.ph ... h-at-Lords

Ankur
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator

Postby Ankur » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:58 pm

KP is having a lot of fun on Twitter

Now Playing:
    If I hold a gun to your head for Tests next year ...
    If I hold a gun to your head for entire next year

TedWard
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby TedWard » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:03 pm

TedWard wrote:
This link may work for you if you want to watch the presentations: http://www.cricgossip.com/showthread.ph ... h-at-Lords

Post match presentation actualy quite interesting for once - Atherton asking Cook some tough questions. Cook looked rather fragile.

Asim
CF Champion
CF Champion

Postby Asim » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:13 pm

Ankur wrote:KP is having a lot of fun on Twitter

Shows that he doesn't care about "his country" winning or losing.
It is not often u com across a quality individual who lives n breathes loyalty 2 his country n teammates.His individual contribution has been outstanding despite continuing unwarranted n unfair criticism that he gets from both media n public–Dav on Misbah

Kingsholmmad
CF Regular
CF Regular

Postby Kingsholmmad » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:08 pm

Asim wrote:

Shows that he doesn't care about "his country" winning or losing.

I'm just wondering how long it'll be before KP fronts up and says that, actually, he's always been a Saffer and has always hated England. I mean, he knows he's never coming back so what's he got to lose?
Sometimes I wonder whether life is easier for other people ... or whether they're just better at faking it.

SuperGLS
CF Champion
CF Champion
United States of America

Postby SuperGLS » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:19 pm

Best one:

“@DPatz13: @KP24 Would love a mention from England's greatest ever batsman...” I'll ask Nick Knight to msg ya..
Cook's #1 fan. @SuperGLS on Twitter.

Leo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Bank: Locked
Norfolk Island

Postby Leo » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:11 am

Congrats India.
Time is the Best Speaker

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:44 am

Prior gone for rest of the series

will he play Test cricket again?

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:06 am

I had mentioned on CF before the 5th day's play that Ishant would be effective if there is variable bounce. He can use his height to good effect. And so it happened.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:46 am

does he still have that inswinger?

I remember he used destroy Ponting with it at will

GiantScrub
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby GiantScrub » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:08 am

He has it, but clearly cannot control it. It comes out at random and is often bowled short enough that it doesn't attack the stumps.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:26 am

too much T20 maybe has ruined him

Ranjith
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Ranjith » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:23 am

This means Ishant will be in the team for another couple years with shitty performances. Except for the Moeen Ali short ball rest were plain bad..England were too proud to look weak against short stuff and blindly tried attacking!

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:54 am

Here's Sidvee with his thoughts.
A good read.

http://sidveeblogs.wordpress.com/2014/0 ... -at-lords/

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:59 am

Boldmonk ‏@Ghanta_Claus 3h
England team haven't won a single test match since they pissed on the pitch after their Ashes win.
Karma is a bitch.

Verity
CF Champion
CF Champion

Postby Verity » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:36 am

Ranjith wrote:This means Ishant will be in the team for another couple years with shitty performances. Except for the Moeen Ali short ball rest were plain bad..England were too proud to look weak against short stuff and blindly tried attacking!

The Bell and Cook balls were good and wouldn't understate his performance it was quite a effort

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:10 pm

I can't believe my nemesis took all those England wickets. Might as well have handed Bresnan over to the Indians and have him take a five-for.

Babaganoush
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Babaganoush » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:16 pm

Verity wrote:
Ranjith wrote:This means Ishant will be in the team for another couple years with shitty performances. Except for the Moeen Ali short ball rest were plain bad..England were too proud to look weak against short stuff and blindly tried attacking!

The Bell and Cook balls were good and wouldn't understate his performance it was quite a effort

The Moen dismissal was very good too, the ball to Stokes got up on him which made him mistime

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:18 pm

Katto wrote:Prior gone for rest of the series

This makes me sad, I will freely admit having always liked Prior's batting. I thought he had some gumption.

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:43 pm

Just sad or ashamed too?

Kingsholmmad
CF Regular
CF Regular

Postby Kingsholmmad » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:12 pm

Katto wrote:Prior gone for rest of the series

I believe he will. Just as soon as we start playing tests against Gibraltar. Or Kiribati. Or the Outer Hebrides.
Sometimes I wonder whether life is easier for other people ... or whether they're just better at faking it.

Kingsholmmad
CF Regular
CF Regular

Postby Kingsholmmad » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:18 pm

:nono:

You are a very naughty boy. You're aren't convincing anybody.

You know perfectly well that 7-74 off 23 overs was not built on bad balls. And, frankly, I don't hear anybody else suggesting why Ishant should go or who would replace him.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:29 pm

Credit to dhoni to make EVEN a bowler like Ishant perform well beyond belief.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:22 pm

Guess whose gmail inbox this is

TedWard
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby TedWard » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:46 pm

ha ha 1st and last made me laugh.

GiantScrub
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby GiantScrub » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:49 pm

Kingsholmmad wrote:

:nono:

You are a very naughty boy. You're aren't convincing anybody.

You know perfectly well that 7-74 off 23 overs was not built on bad balls. And, frankly, I don't hear anybody else suggesting why Ishant should go or who would replace him.

Disagree. "Don't hook bouncers to deep backward square" is something you learn as a schoolboy (I did!), and it's how everybody relevant bar Moeen got out. And you certainly don't bloody hook short balls on a fifth day pitch with variable bounce.

If you go watch, say, Clarke vs. Morkel in SA earlier this year, that was a masterclass in how to survive much more hostile bowling than this when there are men back on the hook and men at short leg for the fend. And yes, it does involve getting hit a lot.

Honestly I'm pretty embarrassed with how bad England have been in these two tests. Credit to BCCI for turning up and playing some form of cricket, unlike last time, but honestly this win is 20% BCCI skill and 80% English fuckups.

Babaganoush
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Babaganoush » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:36 am

You are completely ignoring the fact that consistent bowling on good length can bring about bad shots and wickets from ordinary balls. And 20% is far too harsh, did you watch India bat? or Bhuvis wickets in the first innings?

SuperGLS
CF Champion
CF Champion
United States of America

Postby SuperGLS » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:50 am

Maybe 25% skill.

GiantScrub wrote:Honestly I'm pretty embarrassed with how bad England have been in these two tests. Credit to BCCI for turning up and playing some form of cricket, unlike last time, but honestly this win is 20% BCCI skill and 80% English fuckups.

4 tests to be fair. As we saw, they were pretty bad against Sri Lanka too.
Cook's #1 fan. @SuperGLS on Twitter.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:33 am

I say 80% bcci skills and 20% ecb fuckups . Come on. Give credit where its due. Accept dhoni being good captain who saw weakness and got clever output from his bowlers. Had he persisted with 3 prong spin attack we would be discussing it differently.

Sent from my MZ617 using Tapatalk

GiantScrub
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby GiantScrub » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:43 am

The 20% skill is mostly Dhoni learning how to captain with limited resources. I find it impossible to give credit to Ishant, though Bhuvi deserves some props for bowling consistently and correctly, if unspectacularly, on a helpful day two pitch. Really, Ishant's wickets were BCCI assuming that England were so bad that they'd all get out hooking - and being entirely correct in that assumption.

Where's Piers Morgan - I'd back him to make a quick fifty against either of these two attacks right now.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:53 am

I think you would accept it when you see BCCI win next test also

Sent from my MZ617 using Tapatalk

GiantScrub
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby GiantScrub » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:59 am

Doesn't that also depend on how bad England are when they lose the next one?

Babaganoush
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Babaganoush » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:53 am

Thats a catch 22, you lose when you play badly, and you mostly play badly when you lose.

It'll actually work in India's favour that people think England lost it rather than India won it, keeps them out of focus.

Having said that I still think England can win this 2-1 if not 3-1 if they stick to wickets like Lords.

vandy
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby vandy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:08 am

I ended up watching the after match presentations thanks to the link provided by Ted, thanks Ted.

I thought it was disgracefull of Atherton to single out Prior during the presentation. :slap:

vandy
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby vandy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:11 am

Babaganoush wrote: if they stick to wickets like Lords.

And get the wicket sweeper to wear spikes next time. :P

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:26 am

vandy wrote:
Babaganoush wrote: if they stick to wickets like Lords.

And get the wicket sweeper to wear spikes next time. :P
no way anyone can get away with it when KP is watching their every move!

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:27 am

GiantScrub wrote:Doesn't that also depend on how bad England are when they lose the next one?
hahshaha. You got your excuses for another loss ready? ROFL

Cherry
CF Specialist
CF Specialist

Postby Cherry » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:28 am

20% BCCI skills? Rahane, Vijay, Sir, Bhuvi's batting in this pitch, still 20%?

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:31 am

He is just so distraught that England lost. Given time he would come to senses and right percentages. ;) it's that sadness talking, not him.

GiantScrub
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby GiantScrub » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:36 am

Going South wrote:
GiantScrub wrote:Doesn't that also depend on how bad England are when they lose the next one?
hahshaha. You got your excuses for another loss ready? ROFL

What excuses bro. Last time I checked, "this team lost because they were bad at batting, bowling and fielding" is a pretty valid reason for losing.

I can't believe all these people suggesting BCCI played well, even by their own low overseas standards. They played much better against SA over Christmas, for example. They're getting away with mediocre bowling and batting because England are terrible.