Australia vs Newzealand 5 -T20I @NZ : 22/02/21--07/03/21

This forum contains topics related to live matches that are archived
World Cup 2021
VIP User
VIP User

Re: Australia vs Newzealand 5 -T20I @NZ : 22/02/21--07/03/21

Post by World Cup 2021 »

World Cup 2021 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:38 am # 4 Conway was sends at #6 as he was out for 2 :saurabh:

Nz 219 for 7
Williamson 53,Guppy 97, Neesham 16 ball 45 n.o (6 sixes)

Kane Richardson 4/0/43/3
jhe/Zampa & Sams @ wkt each.
Tim s. R.O.
Aus : 116/6
215 for 8
Wade 24, Philippe 45,Sams 41,Stoinis 78
Neesham 2 for 10, Santner (50th match) 4 fer.(31 sixes in a match ) @ wicket each
Southee & Sodhi

NZ won by 4 runs
World Cup 2021
VIP User
VIP User

Post by World Cup 2021 »

Cricbuzz

With series on the line, Australia seek middle-overs improvement

March 02,2021

Australia have lost both the matches so far.
In the two games of the five-match series so far, New Zealand have brought in a lot more dynamism and ability in the myriad phases of the shortest format compared to their opposition. Australia have suffered two contrasting, but equally sapping defeats, leaving them on the cusp of surrendering the series at the earliest juncture.

In the first T20I, the Australian bowlers were guilty of letting New Zealand bounce back from an early top-order collapse, and in the second game they just failed to put a lid on the run-making in the unforgiving venue of Dunedin, making its T20I debut. In both these games though, worrying patterns have emerged for Australia - their lacklustre middle-overs bowling.

A lot of New Zealand's success in the past week has been down to acing the middle-overs with the bat - they smashed 80 off 8 overs between overs 7 and 15 in the first game, and managed 104 in the same period in the second game. While Australia too have had some success in this phase with the bat, it's the lack of control with the ball that has hurt them the most.

Besides getting his bowlers to tighten up in this important period of play, Aaron Finch will also look to shrug off his prolonged rut with the bat. The Aussie skipper's poor form from BBL 2020-21 [179 runs in 13 innings at an average of 13.77] has spilled over to the T20I series, scoring 1 and 12 in the series so far.

Though Australia find themselves backed into a corner, there is still a silver lining if they opt to look at it that way. The remaining three T20Is will all be played at the same venue (Westpac stadium in Wellington) owing to Covid-19-related restrictions. If Australia can find a winning combination and perform once, they could perhaps back themselves to do it a couple of more times and stage a dramatic comeback in the series.

As for New Zealand, the worries are negligible. Martin Guptill struck form in the second fixture, Devon Conway's streak of five successive half-centuries got broken but he now has the added motivation of playing in his home venue (albeit behind closed doors), Tim Seifert has happy memories at the Cake Tin (colloquial name for Wellington stadium) and Jimmy Neesham is on a quest to add multiple dimensions to his finishing game.

If there's a worry, it is in the form of Kyle Jamieson's bowling returns so far (1 for 32 and 0 for 56), but considering New Zealand's series lead, he should be afforded another chance to revert to translating his impressive potential into performances, like he's done in the last 12-odd months across formats.

When: New Zealand vs Australia, 3rd T20I, March 3, 2021, 07:00 PM Local time

Where: Westpac Stadium, Wellington

What to expect: Of the 13 T20Is played in the stadium, there's a balance between matches won by teams batting and fielding first (6 and 7 respectively). In comparison to University Oval in Dunedin, where the second T20I was played, the average scores in both the white-ball formats at the Westpac stadium dips considerably, and should bring the bowlers into play a lot more. Weather-wise, a partly sunny, mostly clear evening is in the offing.

Team News

New Zealand

There's no need for the home side to ring in changes yet. Expect the same, winning XI to feature in the third game.

Probable XI: Martin Guptil, Tim Seifert (wk), Kane Williamson (c), Devon Conway, Glenn Phillips, James Neesham, Mitchell Santner, Kyle Jamieson, Tim Southee, Ish Sodhi, Trent Boult

Australia

Head coach Andrew McDonald has stated, in no uncertain terms, about the likelihood of the visitors making changes to save the series. Ashton Agar, who has gone wicketless in the two games, received words of comfort from McDonald, but could make way for the likes of D'Arcy Short or Ashton Turner - whose inclusion will further strengthen the batting. Should Aaron Finch seek to refresh his pace bowling line-up, he has Jason Behrendorff, Andrew Tye and the uncapped Riley Meredith on his bench to choose from.

Probable XI: Matthew Wade (wk), Aaron Finch (c), Josh Philippe, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Marcus Stoinis, Ashton Agar/Ashton Turner, Daniel Sams, Jhye Richardson, Kane Richardson/Andrew Tye, Adam Zampa

What They Said:

"We haven't got those middle overs right. That may be a reason for us to reinforce that area or make some changes that potentially strengthen that area with both bat and ball." - Australia head coach Andrew McDonald said ahead of the crucial third T20I.

"It was a pretty strong performance from us. We know the power they have in their line up. It was about executing our plans. Outstanding knock from Martin. It's not an easy thing to defend here, lot of things to take and build on for the next game. It's a bunch that's really enthusiastic about improving." - New Zealand captain Kane Williamson on his team's performance in the second T20I

https://m.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/116 ... e-jamieson
World Cup 2021
VIP User
VIP User

Post by World Cup 2021 »

NZ have won toss have Field

Aus lost Wade in the First over at Wellington >> No Spectators at the Ground

7 for 1
World Cup 2021
VIP User
VIP User

Post by World Cup 2021 »

Maxwell hits 4/6/4/4/4/6 -28 off Jimmy Neesham One over. (4/0/60/0)

Maxi finally out 31 ball 70
Finch back in form 44 ball 69
Philippe 43

Aus :208 for 4
Sodhi 2 for 32
So far Jamieson
In 3 t20I ~ 12/0/132/0

NZ need 209 :sofa:

Nz 144 all out > lost by 64 runs
Guptill 43,Conway 38
Meredith 2 wkts &
Ashton Agar 4/0/30/6

Nz lead 5 match series
2/1
Last edited by World Cup 2021 on Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
World Cup 2021
VIP User
VIP User

Post by World Cup 2021 »

Debutant Australian Speedster Riely Meredith took wicket of Siefert in his 1st over but he was spanked 20 by nz openers

Never seen 152 or 153 KMPH ball in t20I at wellington so quick by Debutant - Meredith.

Delhi Capital's Nortje last year had 156.09 KMPH BALL -- must be record
World Cup 2021
VIP User
VIP User

Post by World Cup 2021 »

Ashton Agar
Man of Match
For 6 for 30
Daanav
VIP User
VIP User

Post by Daanav »

Maxwell 70 off 31 balls. RCB will be happy at the money spent.
Kyle Jamieson 132/0. RCB will rue money down the drain.
World Cup 2021
VIP User
VIP User

Post by World Cup 2021 »

Daanav wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:24 am Maxwell 70 off 31 balls. RCB will be happy at the money spent.
Kyle Jamieson 132/0. RCB will rue money down the drain.
Wellington venue that is why
No crowd also not help home team as Covid 19 increase elsewhere.

Rest of series at wellington. Slow tuff help
Zampa/Sodhi

Ashton Agar m. O. m today for 6 fer in 24 ball
World Cup 2021
VIP User
VIP User

Post by World Cup 2021 »

Once Again Wellington Waiting Newzealand team for tomorrows 4th t20i on Slow Tuff

05-MAR-2021, 11:30 AM

4th T20I (N), Wellington, Mar 5 2021,

Australia tour of New Zealand

Improving Australia sense opportunity to force series decider

New Zealand have been handed a boost with Mitchell Santner being available after illness

Big Picture

After a poor performance then a better performance, Australia produced an almost-perfect performance to keep themselves alive in the T20I series. A well-constructed innings, lit up by the hitting of Glenn Maxwell, was followed by a strong bowling display led by an impressive debut for Riley Meredith and a record six-wicket haul from Ashton Agar.

Barring the early loss of Matthew Wade, if Australia could plan a T20 batting innings what they put together in Wellington would be close to the ideal template: a run-rate touching nine-an-over at the midway point with Maxwell having enough time to assess conditions and then cut loose as he did with the 28-run over off Jimmy Neesham.

For a little while it looked as though New Zealand could replicate it as they scored freely in the powerplay, but Meredith's brace of wickets were key in keeping Australia ahead of the game. Having got set, Martin Guptill had to bat deep but when he fell to Adam Zampa the task quickly became too much - the contest sealed when Agar took three wickets in an over.

New Zealand's balance was off as they replaced the ill Mitchell Santner with batsman Mark Chapman, relying on just the five bowling options (although Chapman or Kane Williamson could have had a trundle) and the side felt out of kilter. The good news for the home side is that Santner is available for the fourth game having received a negative Covid-19 test and has started to feel better.

Finch, Maxwell and Agar turn on the style to keep series alive

'Thought about that first ball a thousand times' - Meredith

Form guide
(last five completed matches)

New Zealand LWWLW
Australia WLLWLL

In the spotlight
Matthew Wade is a senior figure in this side as the vice-captain and first-choice wicketkeeper but he hasn't quite got going yet. He impressed against India late last year but there will be a lot of options to choose from when it comes to nailing down the top three as the likes of David Warner and Steven Smith become available again. There are other keeping options in this squad, not least Josh Philippe at No. 3 in this XI, so while there's unlikely to be a change it remains one of the positions up for grabs.

Wade's opposite number Tim Seifert has had a lean series to date with scores of 1, 3 and 4 although his success against Pakistan earlier in the season - where he made 57, 84 not out and 35 - means there is credit in the bank. Devon Conway and Glenn Phillips are other options in this side who could take the gloves but before the third match New Zealand coach Gary Stead said they are very keen to leave Phillips as an outfielder where he is among the best in the business.

Team news
Santner is back in the mix and barring any change to his condition would seem very likely to make a swift return to the XI at the expense of Chapman

New Zealand (probable) 1 Martin Guptill, 2 Tim Seifert, 3 Kane Williamson (capt), 4 Devon Conway, 5 Glenn Phillips, 6 Jimmy Neesham, 7 Mitchell Santner, 8 Kyle Jamieson, 9 Tim Southee, 10 Ish Sodhi, 11 Trent Boult

Having secured such a convincing win there may be a reluctance to change the side, although the selectors could decide to rotate a quick bowler.

Australia (probable) 1 Aaron Finch, 2 Matthew Wade (wk), 3 Josh Philippe, 4 Glenn Maxwell, 5 Marcus Stoinis, 6 Mitchell Marsh, 7 Ashton Agar, 8 Jhye Richardson, 9 Kane Richardson, 10 Adam Zampa, 11 Riley Meredith

Pitch and conditions
There is some uncertainty over how the surface will play with the increasing amount of traffic on it. All the matches being played on the same pitch, which will host six games in total with the women's series also taking place. Initially it looked tricky in the first game, but once batsmen got set scoring came freely. The forecast is for a cloudy but dry evening with a brisk Wellington wind around. "It feels as though everywhere you stand the wind is hitting you in the face, but the ball never gets to you at certain times," Aaron Finch said.

Stats and trivia

Maxwell has the highest strike-rate (158.79) of any batsman with at least a 1000 T20I runs

This ground is one of Santner's best in T20I: he has 10 wickets at 12.60 - his most for any venue - at an economy rate of just 6.00

Quotes
"The start of an innings you are always a little bit nervous, a little bit tentative and when it hit me on the pad it was just one of those things, was a 50-50 call. Once I got into my innings felt I was moving a lot better, my feet were moving, my intent was there and it was nice to get a few out of the middle.
Aaron Finch

"When you miss Mitchell Santner it shows what an impact he has for us and then also when their left-arm spinner takes six wickets and bowls well it shows what he brings to our team."
Luke Ronchi

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/aus ... ch-preview
World Cup 2021
VIP User
VIP User

Post by World Cup 2021 »

Australia Bats vs NZ in 4th T20i

Finch hits 26 in 20th over with 4 sixes off
Over rated Jamieson (0 for 181 in the series)

NZ chasing Respectable score to win series now 66 for 7 on slow tuff

Australia 156 for 6
Finch 54 ball 79 not out. Stoinis 19, Maxi 18
Sodhi 3 for 32,Boult 2w & Santner 1 wkt

Nz : 21/0> 82/9
106 all out
Jamieson 30,Siefert 19, Conway 17.
Agar/Zampa & Maxwell 2 wkts each
Kane Richardson 3 wkts

Aus beat NZ by 50 runs
Aus boss of Welington
Finch my man of match