Let's not have this debate again.

This is the forum for discussion of all cricketing issues and news. Here you will find frank analysis and opinion on subjects ranging from selection policies, favourite cricketers and match post-mortems right through to dressing room and cricket board fiascos.
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked

Let's not have this debate again.

Postby Paddles » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:17 pm

Thank you. The location is in Dubai. Yes, they imported the soil.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spo ... 844646.cms

The area has about 37 pitches, all different. Like Kitchen m ..

Read more at:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/arti ... aign=cppst
Law 31.6 - benefit of the doubt for an dismissal appeal goes to the batsman
A third umpire call for a run out or stumping is a referral, not a review.

Leo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Isle of Man

Re: Let's not have this debate again.

Postby Leo » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:19 am

Missed the point :)
Time is the Best Speaker

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:21 am

They wasted their money on the WACA pitches

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:57 am

Since no one watches Test matches at the venue anymore anyway, why not get all the world's players to just play in Dubai?
The weather can also probably be conditioned to requirement. right?
And if they want to simulate a bit of rain, they can get some water sprinklers to give this effect.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:38 pm

raja wrote:Since no one watches Test matches at the venue anymore anyway, why not get all the world's players to just play in Dubai?
The weather can also probably be conditioned to requirement. right?
And if they want to simulate a bit of rain, they can get some water sprinklers to give this effect.

Haha - Stuart and Jimmy like their regular rain breaks. Maybe they could pump some air conditioning into the stadium to cool it down too. Dubai is essentially built over a desert, so they have a lot of experience in these types of things. They've even been making land in the ocean, creating holiday style islands.

It is very impressive what they've done. And I expect that Australia will possibly in addition to their dustbowl preparation facilities seek to add some English preparation facilities at home too at some point in the future. Or Australia will make some regular visits available for players there in lead ups to tours to India and England.

Tony Hemming (curator at new Perth stadium) and Rod Marsh with Mal Speed (former ICC CEO) were the brains behind it. (All Australian). But this is with ICC funds unlike Australia's dustbowl centre in Queensland somewhere.

I just hope that NZC is able to afford to use it some time before it tours the sub-continent in future years. They're expecting Australia and England to use it a lot, and have prepared among those not expressly named - a Galle, Wankhede and even a Lahore surface (bit ambitious there I suspect).

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:01 am

creating simulation pitches is one thing
putting in the necessary work to improve batting technique is another

many of today's generation simply don't have it to do that

in Australia we outspend several nations in many sports (by several factors) and we're still inferior in those sports for this reason

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:19 pm

Katto wrote:creating simulation pitches is one thing

in Australia we outspend several nations in many sports (by several factors) and we're still inferior in those sports for this reason

I really don't get it, myself. I get players may not enjoy the fitness drills, may not enjoy the out-fielding drills. But batsmen practicing in nets seems like a very enjoyable, very very enjoyable part of their job. Most people would kill for that luxury as a past - time, let alone get paid for it.

I don't think its much surprise that Steve Smith and KW, both noted nets attendees - have with Kohli put such a jump on the rest of the batsmen around at the moment. And Kohli probably hits the nets a lot too in between his cardio workouts.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:53 pm

Paddles wrote:
Katto wrote:creating simulation pitches is one thing

I really don't get it, myself. I get players may not enjoy the fitness drills, may not enjoy the out-fielding drills. But batsmen practicing in nets seems like a very enjoyable, very very enjoyable part of their job. Most people would kill for that luxury as a past - time, let alone get paid for it.

I don't think its much surprise that Steve Smith and KW, both noted nets attendees - have with Kohli put such a jump on the rest of the batsmen around at the moment. And Kohli probably hits the nets a lot too in between his cardio workouts.

All the molly coddling they get from sports scientists and expensive facilities absolves them of personal responsibility to improve their games.

Its a symptom of a 'service economy'. Everyone is selling something. Some new silver bullet to success.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:10 am

Katto wrote:
Paddles wrote:

All the molly coddling they get from sports scientists and expensive facilities absolves them of personal responsibility to improve their games.

Its a symptom of a 'service economy'. Everyone is selling something. Some new silver bullet to success.

Oh I think this is indeed a silver bullet. But - still got to go into the nets and face some bowling for the silver of the bullet to have an effect.

KW's already been there - I am not surprised. At all. His reputation precedes him.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:14 am

The reality is we want all our rep cricketers to have KW, Kohli and Smith levels of effort to match the talent - but they don't. Some like girls and hair gel in their offtime.

(This is a Tim Southee reference of wider applicability - his potential as a talented bowler was seen as a teenager with talent chucked into the national team years ahead of Boult, witnessed in internationals in SL 2012 bowling well over 140km/h in heat reguarly - and rarely realised since to the point he has let Boult and Wagner leave him in their wake - but he has the physical potential ((he's taller)) and talent to be better than them - but he's simply not). Is it his heart? Or his training?

Boult is on record saying he wants records. He's accused of being money focussed. But he has left the more talented youth Tim in his wake. Wagner lacks physical prowess or talent - but has heart and grit in spades. Shovels even. He pushes himself to the edge of what he has to offer regularly. He endures pain with a grimmace but is simply relentless.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:06 am

Paddles wrote:The reality is we want all our rep cricketers to have KW, Kohli and Smith levels of effort to match the talent - but they don't. Some like girls and hair gel in their offtime.

(This is a Tim Southee reference of wider applicability - his potential as a talented bowler was seen as a teenager with talent chucked into the national team years ahead of Boult, witnessed in internationals in SL 2012 bowling well over 140km/h in heat reguarly - and rarely realised since to the point he has let Boult and Wagner leave him in their wake - but he has the physical potential ((he's taller)) and talent to be better than them - but he's simply not). Is it his heart? Or his training?

Boult is on record saying he wants records. He's accused of being money focussed. But he has left the more talented youth Tim in his wake. Wagner lacks physical prowess or talent - but has heart and grit in spades. Shovels even. He pushes himself to the edge of what he has to offer regularly. He endures pain with a grimmace but is simply relentless.

no all we ask for are hardworking players who get the job done - don't have to be exceptional talent

the kind of players we had in abundance during the 90's and 00's

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:05 pm

Katto wrote:
Paddles wrote:The reality is we want all our rep cricketers to have KW, Kohli and Smith levels of effort to match the talent - but they don't. Some like girls and hair gel in their offtime.

no all we ask for are hardworking players who get the job done - don't have to be exceptional talent

Disagree. Without talent - the job doesn't get done. Ever. What hurts most fans more is watching a player waste their talent. What fans love is watching a trier exceed their pigeon hole.

There's a talent to the leave and limited stroke play of Boycott and Richardson. Theres talent to McGrath's metronomic non-swing medium pace hitting the seam.

All I ask for is the players be the best they can be and make the most of their talents. Either exceptional or limited. Nicholls is nit as talented as I'd like compared to what I want - but each year I see him improve his strokeplay from what I can only imagine is time in the nets developing.

Cliche - but true. Play smart, give their best and train hard to excel in games.

And keep Aussie losing.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:03 pm

Paddles wrote:
Katto wrote:

Disagree. Without talent - the job doesn't get done. Ever. What hurts most fans more is watching a player waste their talent. What fans love is watching a trier exceed their pigeon hole.

There's a talent to the leave and limited stroke play of Boycott and Richardson. Theres talent to McGrath's metronomic non-swing medium pace hitting the seam.

All I ask for is the players be the best they can be and make the most of their talents. Either exceptional or limited. Nicholls is nit as talented as I'd like compared to what I want - but each year I see him improve his strokeplay from what I can only imagine is time in the nets developing.

Cliche - but true. Play smart, give their best and train hard to excel in games.

And keep Aussie losing.

talent is overrated

look at Steve Smith, is he any kind of athlete? Was he an exceptional player when he first came into the Australian team?

#clueless :roll:

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:29 am

Katto wrote:
Paddles wrote:

And keep Aussie losing.

talent is overrated

look at Steve Smith, is he any kind of athlete? Was he an exceptional player when he first came into the Australian team?

#clueless :roll:

Yeah he has great hand eye coordination like a 10 pin bowler does, or a darts player, or corn sack contestant. Athlete? Not really. But he has hand eye, and that's talent.

Smithy was v good at tennis as a junior as well btw.

If you think seeing a ball early at 150km/h and getting hands holding a bat into a position to hit it isn't a talent, then you're stupid. Just moronic.

KW said it best - talent is the ability to hit the ball with the bat often while playing a shot. Playing the higher percentage shot, though - that's technique, practice, experience, learning and training smart with determination.

You really think McGrath and Martin didn't try to bat better? They saw the ball too late and/or reacted too slowly. Better athletes than Moob Smith, may well be - but less hand eye talent than him ;)

#YouCluelessIgnorantContrarianIgnoramus

Talent isn't overated. It is essential. It is necessary but not sufficient. This is the phrase you need to learn.

Necessary but not sufficient.