Page 1 of 1

Problems with boundarys

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:13 am
by lewbri03
Hi all, I am doing a project in which I have to identify a problem and create a product. I was thinking of doing it within cricket it and I identified the boundary and boundary markers as a problem. I was wondering if anyone could give me any feedback on this. Thanks :thanx:

Re: Problems with boundarys

Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:21 pm
by Going South
how about installing laser distance measurer inside middle stump to identify and imaginary ellipse on boundary and sensors to detect a 4 or 6 if a ball pass it or a player touches the boundary ?

Image

Re: Problems with boundarys

Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:10 am
by Paddles
lewbri03 wrote:Hi all, I am doing a project in which I have to identify a problem and create a product. I was thinking of doing it within cricket it and I identified the boundary and boundary markers as a problem. I was wondering if anyone could give me any feedback on this. Thanks :thanx:


There isn't much wrong with boundary markers used today, the issues is getting the right camera angle to see if a fielder has released the ball before tumbling over the boundary.

The new advertising triangle type markers also clearly demonstrate when the ball has hit them on the full or not to be a 6.

The Zing people have pretty much already made the stumps and bails high tech. And DRS with hawkeye has been brought in for umpiring mistakes.

The biggest live issue in cricket that has not been resolved yet is front foot no balls. Now in tennis they have robots and linesmen for line calls, but if you could think of an easier solution for identifying front foot no balls - your product would solve a problem. I think all that is needed is a pressure sensor at the front of the wicket box or a short range motion sensor just and immediately before the crease line - but if you have a better idea...

Re: Problems with boundarys

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:47 am
by lewbri03
hi, many thanks for the reply however I was thinking more of non professional cricket and cricket at my local club.

Re: Problems with boundarys

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:56 am
by Katto
I think there are issues with boundaries at all levels.
Even professional level you have the issue with the rope being moved by the player.

Maybe the boundary should simply be a painted line.

Re: Problems with boundarys

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:05 am
by Paddles
Katto wrote:I think there are issues with boundaries at all levels.
Even professional level you have the issue with the rope being moved by the player.

Maybe the boundary should simply be a painted line.

That is a rule change - not a product.

Re: Problems with boundarys

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:05 am
by Paddles
lewbri03 wrote:hi, many thanks for the reply however I was thinking more of non professional cricket and cricket at my local club.

Good luck - no money there - prolly astroturf or cement pitches.

Zing get about about $50K NZ per every single intl match. Think big or go home

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-the-cricke ... -per-match

Re: Problems with boundarys

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:06 am
by Katto
Paddles wrote:
Katto wrote:I think there are issues with boundaries at all levels.
Even professional level you have the issue with the rope being moved by the player.

Maybe the boundary should simply be a painted line.

That is a rule change - not a product.


Its not a rule change, however it can be a product. Think tennis and football.

Re: Problems with boundarys

Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:41 pm
by Paddles
Katto wrote:
Paddles wrote:That is a rule change - not a product.


Its not a rule change, however it can be a product. Think tennis and football.


I was thinking more about the painted line.

Re: Problems with boundarys

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:35 am
by Katto
Paddles wrote:
Katto wrote:
Its not a rule change, however it can be a product. Think tennis and football.


I was thinking more about the painted line.


the technology to monitor the line is a product

Re: Problems with boundarys

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:14 am
by Paddles
Katto wrote:
Paddles wrote:
I was thinking more about the painted line.


the technology to monitor the line is a product


Well two problems I foresee here,

1 Ball and fielder tumbles will still need camera viewing;

2 The curve of ovals.

Re: Problems with boundarys

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:42 am
by Katto
Paddles wrote:
Katto wrote:
the technology to monitor the line is a product


Well two problems I foresee here,

1 Ball and fielder tumbles will still need camera viewing;

2 The curve of ovals.


think laterally

Re: Problems with boundarys

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:42 am
by Paddles
Katto wrote:
Paddles wrote:
Well two problems I foresee here,

1 Ball and fielder tumbles will still need camera viewing;

2 The curve of ovals.


think laterally


Don't need too. Front foot no balls mean so much more as they are difference between a wicket or not. For boundaries, they player tumble will always be in the way pending camera angle. A trench or gutter could be dug after the boundary, but that will lead to player injuries.

Boundaries are largely a non-issue, but front foot no balls remain a huge issue, many are missed, and many are called on balls that shouldn't be. It is in greater demand of sorting. Those triangle pad things as a boundary rope have largely solved boundary issues - except for the tumbling fielder - which is the difference between 2 sometimes 3 and 4 runs.

Re: Problems with boundarys

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:20 pm
by Katto
Paddles wrote:
Katto wrote:
think laterally


Don't need too. Front foot no balls mean so much more as they are difference between a wicket or not. For boundaries, they player tumble will always be in the way pending camera angle. A trench or gutter could be dug after the boundary, but that will lead to player injuries.

Boundaries are largely a non-issue, but front foot no balls remain a huge issue, many are missed, and many are called on balls that shouldn't be. It is in greater demand of sorting. Those triangle pad things as a boundary rope have largely solved boundary issues - except for the tumbling fielder - which is the difference between 2 sometimes 3 and 4 runs.


we have microwaves that can measure these things, who needs a camera

Re: Problems with boundarys

Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:27 pm
by Paddles
Katto wrote:
Paddles wrote:
Don't need too. Front foot no balls mean so much more as they are difference between a wicket or not. For boundaries, they player tumble will always be in the way pending camera angle. A trench or gutter could be dug after the boundary, but that will lead to player injuries.

Boundaries are largely a non-issue, but front foot no balls remain a huge issue, many are missed, and many are called on balls that shouldn't be. It is in greater demand of sorting. Those triangle pad things as a boundary rope have largely solved boundary issues - except for the tumbling fielder - which is the difference between 2 sometimes 3 and 4 runs.


we have microwaves that can measure these things, who needs a camera

You reckon a microwave can differentiate between a fielder and the ball when a fielder is tumbling over the ball?

I'm not sure microwave tech is that advanced.

They could possibly put a piece of metal in the ball that the fielders don't have on their bodies...

Re: Problems with boundarys

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:32 am
by Katto
Paddles wrote:
Katto wrote:
we have microwaves that can measure these things, who needs a camera

You reckon a microwave can differentiate between a fielder and the ball when a fielder is tumbling over the ball?

I'm not sure microwave tech is that advanced.

They could possibly put a piece of metal in the ball that the fielders don't have on their bodies...


now you're beginning to get my point

Re: Problems with boundarys

Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:28 am
by Paddles
Katto wrote:
Paddles wrote:You reckon a microwave can differentiate between a fielder and the ball when a fielder is tumbling over the ball?

I'm not sure microwave tech is that advanced.

They could possibly put a piece of metal in the ball that the fielders don't have on their bodies...


now you're beginning to get my point


Maybe, but the barriers to entry to modify Kookaburra, Dukes and SG balls, despite boundary tech, is probably beyond this poor lad.

I genuinely, and with respect to you as you have been typically quite polite to me of late and I appreciate it and have sought to reciprocate, believe that front foot no-balls are a bigger issue, and could be far more simply solved with a clever product than boundaries are.