Champs Trophy Dead.

This is the forum for discussion of all cricketing issues and news. Here you will find frank analysis and opinion on subjects ranging from selection policies, favourite cricketers and match post-mortems right through to dressing room and cricket board fiascos.
baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Cash on hand: Locked
Australia

Champs Trophy Dead.

Postby baggygreenmania » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:17 am

The fate of the Champions Trophy has been sealed after the International Cricket Council announced the one-day tournament has been replaced with a World T20 championship that will be held every two years.

The death-knell for the 50-over tournament is the latest efforts to use 20-over cricket in a new campaign to get wider recognition and a potential Olympic place. Is this the first phase for the demise of 50 over cricket? In my view ODIs should have been reduced to 40 overs years ago. Have your say!!

Leo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Bank: Locked
Martinique

Re: Champs Trophy Dead.

Postby Leo » Fri Apr 27, 2018 4:08 am

How many times Champions Trophy died till now?
Time is the Best Speaker

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:56 am

Leo wrote:How many times Champions Trophy died till now?
Not sure what you mean. I often wondered why they continued to hold the CT when they had the ODI World Cup. The CT should have been a different format..perhaps 40 overs.. The world club T20 Champions League should also not have been scrapped.

Leo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Martinique

Postby Leo » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:49 am

baggygreenmania wrote:
Not sure what you mean. I often wondered why they continued to hold the CT when they had the ODI World Cup. The CT should have been a different format..perhaps 40 overs.. The world club T20 Champions League should also not have been scrapped.

As far I remember, ICC cancelled Champions Trophy several times before. Like, at first this tournament was named knock out world cup. They changed the name after declaring the tournament is closed.
Time is the Best Speaker

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:53 am

I didn't mind Champs Trophy - but we're going to get a dbl dose of Wt20 from now on.

I'm not anti T20 like many purists - as long as I get a steady supply of top cricket action.
Law 31.6 - benefit of the doubt for an dismissal appeal goes to the batsman
A third umpire call for a run out or stumping is a referral, not a review.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:57 am

Champions trophy Will always lose out to ODI World Cup.Again , I am not too happy with so much T20 hammered down our throat.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:33 am

bolero wrote:Champions trophy Will always lose out to ODI World Cup.Again , I am not too happy with so much T20 hammered down our throat.

Champions Trophy was never in competition with the one and only cricket world cup.

But hopefully in time the World T20 will replace the void left by Packers's World Series Cup. But World Cup status it will almost certainly never have in my lifetime. It lacks pedigree and being every two years cheapens it further.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:56 am

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:38 am

Paddles wrote:
bolero wrote:Champions trophy Will always lose out to ODI World Cup.Again , I am not too happy with so much T20 hammered down our throat.

Champions Trophy was never in competition with the one and only cricket world cup.

But hopefully in time the World T20 will replace the void left by Packers's World Series Cup. But World Cup status it will almost certainly never have in my lifetime. It lacks pedigree and being every two years cheapens it further.

Our views match on this one mostly.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:53 am

dunno, neck and neck with Afridi's retirements

Leo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Martinique

Postby Leo » Tue May 01, 2018 4:49 am

:)

The popularity of T20 actually destroyed CT. Otherwise it was a nice one. I still remember the the interest back in 2006 / 2004 / 2002 / 2000. It's become questionable because people lost interest about ODI tournament. WC is okay but people prefer T20I more thn another same type of tournament.
Time is the Best Speaker

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue May 01, 2018 4:58 am

the Champions trophy was good because it had high quality teams, not bloated with associates like the world cup
often produced better cricket and didnt last for what seemed like months

the new world cup format partially addresses that with a smaller field and quite an interesting qualifying tournament

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Tue May 01, 2018 5:39 am

Katto wrote:the Champions trophy was good because it had high quality teams, not bloated with associates like the world cup
often produced better cricket and didnt last for what seemed like months

the new world cup format partially addresses that with a smaller field and quite an interesting qualifying tournament

I almost agree with everything Katto says above. One slight exception, I don't mind months of top quality cricket like the 1992WC and 2019WC will provide. But I agree with Katto, the associates made regular world cups drag on and dilute the match quality with so many fewer top games with the split pools, and while Kenya making the semi's or Ireland beating England is oft quoted and still celebrated, there was a lot of one sided weak cricket in between. This has been going back to the 1970's when East Africa played in the first World Cup. Who wants to see games like this:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8039 ... -cup-1975/

Plus, in addition to what Katto said, one World Cup pool is so much fairer. There is no more dreaded pools of death, with more high quality or in form teams.

Leo, the Champions Trophy was not wanted by many host nations who struggled to make it profitable after the ICC took its pie sized profit and left the host some crumbs to help pay for the costs. This is why so many nations didn't want to host the Champions Trophy, and England was the one place that could make it profitable within their infrastructure. The ICC of course made good bank from it. Hence why it kept having them.

But, I think India did a very good hosting the 2016 WT20. I expect India to do so again.

Leo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Martinique

Postby Leo » Tue May 01, 2018 7:19 am

Associates should only be allowed to play T20 formats as the difference between teams reduces.

I will blame ICC for not popularizing ODI when there was no T20. Only 10 teams are playing a tournament that you are calling World Cup. Funny!!!
Time is the Best Speaker

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Tue May 01, 2018 7:55 am

Leo wrote:Associates should only be allowed to play T20 formats as the difference between teams reduces.

Yes and No. Zimbabwe is a full member. Afghanistan is an Associate. I'm happy to see Afghanistan try some test cricket. I It takes a while to master. Just ask India, NZ, Pak, SL and Zimbabwe.

Leo wrote:I will blame ICC for not popularizing ODI when there was no T20. Only 10 teams are playing a tournament that you are calling World Cup. Funny!!!

The ICC did and does. And now are using T20 as the vehicle into odi. And there may only be 10 teams, but over 100 had the chance to qualify for it.