Seizmic change in Aussie Cricket.

This is the forum for discussion of all cricketing issues and news. Here you will find frank analysis and opinion on subjects ranging from selection policies, favourite cricketers and match post-mortems right through to dressing room and cricket board fiascos.
User avatar
baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 3801
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:22 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Australia

Seizmic change in Aussie Cricket.

Postby baggygreenmania » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:46 am

Huge breaking news. Nine has been dumped as Australia's premier cricket broacaster!! A joint bid for the cricketing rights to Aussie cricket has been Won by 7 and Foxtel. This may not mean much to non Aussies but it is a seizmic-like change to Australian cricket as Nine has been the sole broadcaster of major cricket since the World Series Cricket days.

User avatar
Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Posts: 15864
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:34 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Tuvalu

Re: Seizmic change in Aussie Cricket.

Postby Katto » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:14 am

will probably be for the better
Nine have slipped in recent years

Foxtel will do a better job

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5040
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0

Re: Seizmic change in Aussie Cricket.

Postby Paddles » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:36 am

Image
Law 31.6 - benefit of the doubt for an dismissal appeal goes to the batsman
A third umpire call for a run out or stumping is a referral, not a review.

User avatar
bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5527
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:09 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: Seizmic change in Aussie Cricket.

Postby bolero » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:00 am

I have always identified Aussie cricket with Channel Nine.

User avatar
raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 29173
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:14 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Pakistan

Re: Seizmic change in Aussie Cricket.

Postby raja » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:50 am

In the THEN pic, Greg Chappell, Ian Chappell, Richie Benaud, Bill Lawry and Tony Greig, right?

Who are the current lot?

User avatar
Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Posts: 15864
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:34 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Tuvalu

Re: Seizmic change in Aussie Cricket.

Postby Katto » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:37 am

raja wrote:In the THEN pic, Greg Chappell, Ian Chappell, Richie Benaud, Bill Lawry and Tony Greig, right?

Who are the current lot?


Mark Nicholas, Michael Slater, Ian Healy, Mark Taylor

I think Ian Chappell is part time, not sure

guest appearances occasionally from Shane Warne and Bill Lawry

thankfully foreign series we already get on Foxtel and don't have to put up with Michael Slater, Healy and The Block promotions

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5040
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0

Re: Seizmic change in Aussie Cricket.

Postby Paddles » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:52 am

Katto wrote:
raja wrote:In the THEN pic, Greg Chappell, Ian Chappell, Richie Benaud, Bill Lawry and Tony Greig, right?

Who are the current lot?


Mark Nicholas, Michael Slater, Ian Healy, Mark Taylor

I think Ian Chappell is part time, not sure

guest appearances occasionally from Shane Warne and Bill Lawry

thankfully foreign series we already get on Foxtel and don't have to put up with Michael Slater, Healy and The Block promotions


Chapelli was all tests but no limited overs last year, but I don't recall when this started.

Bill has been Sydney and Melbourne tests, maybe their odi as well in those 2 cities. Warne is pretty much full time on all formats unless doing something more high profile or social such as possibly tinder related.

Clarke replaced Hussey and Lee full time from a while ago. 2015/16 I think but def by 2016/17. He does all formats.
Law 31.6 - benefit of the doubt for an dismissal appeal goes to the batsman
A third umpire call for a run out or stumping is a referral, not a review.

User avatar
Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Posts: 15864
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:34 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Tuvalu

Re: Seizmic change in Aussie Cricket.

Postby Katto » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:27 am

local soccer is the big loser, set to be dumped in a couple of years from all TV

take note ISL

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5040
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0

Re: Seizmic change in Aussie Cricket.

Postby Paddles » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:55 am

Katto wrote:local soccer is the big loser, set to be dumped in a couple of years from all TV

take note ISL


Why? I'd imagine that Oz's Euro and Asian immigrants and descendants will keep following soccer as they have been on Pay TV even when Cricket was on FTA. There's more than 1 channel.

Unless you're suggesting it won't be broadcast anymore - which I doubt.
Law 31.6 - benefit of the doubt for an dismissal appeal goes to the batsman
A third umpire call for a run out or stumping is a referral, not a review.

User avatar
Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Posts: 15864
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:34 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Tuvalu

Re: Seizmic change in Aussie Cricket.

Postby Katto » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:50 pm

Paddles wrote:
Katto wrote:local soccer is the big loser, set to be dumped in a couple of years from all TV

take note ISL


Why? I'd imagine that Oz's Euro and Asian immigrants and descendants will keep following soccer as they have been on Pay TV even when Cricket was on FTA. There's more than 1 channel.

Unless you're suggesting it won't be broadcast anymore - which I doubt.


its a ratings disaster
the standard is crap

it might not be broadcast anymore because the league is run so poorly it relies on a large TV rights deal just to keep it afloat

only 1 bid for the last broadcast rights and it wasn't what they were hoping for. Its declined more since then on all KPIs.

If they manage to keep going somehow they'll have to cut the dead weight like Wellington Phoenix.

User avatar
baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 3801
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:22 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Australia

Re: Seizmic change in Aussie Cricket.

Postby baggygreenmania » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:49 pm

bolero wrote:I have always identified Aussie cricket with Channel Nine.
havent we all. The whole Nine thing had gotten staler in recent years.. a new broadcaster and new commentators will revive the way cricket is now watched in Australia. Could say a breath of fresh air .

User avatar
baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 3801
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:22 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Australia

Re: Seizmic change in Aussie Cricket.

Postby baggygreenmania » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:53 pm

raja wrote:In the THEN pic, Greg Chappell, Ian Chappell, Richie Benaud, Bill Lawry and Tony Greig, right?

Who are the current lot?
Yes Gregory was the only casualty from that photo.. the rest stayed too long except Tony.

User avatar
baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 3801
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:22 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Australia

Re: Seizmic change in Aussie Cricket.

Postby baggygreenmania » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:56 pm

Foxtel will launch a dedicated 24/7 cricket channel, similar to its AFL and rugby channels which have been lauded for fuelling interest year-round in those sports.
Been waiting years for this.. talk about scratching the cricket itch for us tragics. Now retired I will be glued to this new channel.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 3801
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:22 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Australia

Re: Seizmic change in Aussie Cricket.

Postby baggygreenmania » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:59 pm

Through current deals, Channel Nine will still broadcast major cricket events in the next 18 months. "We wish Cricket Australia and its new broadcast partners well for the future success of the game," the network said in a statement. "Cricket will continue to be a part of Nine's schedule into the future with current deals in place covering the next Ashes series from England in 2019, the ODI World Cup in the UK in the same year and in 2020 the T20 WCs to be held in Australia."

"Nine still broadcasting major cricket events in next 18months". No actual time frame for when new regime comes into effect. By this Nine statement it wont be before next years Ashes.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5040
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0

Re: Seizmic change in Aussie Cricket.

Postby Paddles » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:46 pm

baggygreenmania wrote:Through current deals, Channel Nine will still broadcast major cricket events in the next 18 months. "We wish Cricket Australia and its new broadcast partners well for the future success of the game," the network said in a statement. "Cricket will continue to be a part of Nine's schedule into the future with current deals in place covering the next Ashes series from England in 2019, the ODI World Cup in the UK in the same year and in 2020 the T20 WCs to be held in Australia."

"Nine still broadcasting major cricket events in next 18months". No actual time frame for when new cricket rights begin. By this Nine statement it wont be before next years Ashes.


Baggers, Nine bought the 2019 English hosted Ashes from the EWCB, and the World Cup from the ICC. Nine has also already bought the WT20 (hosted in Australia in 2020) from the ICC.

This has nothing to do with CA selling its local cricket to Fox and Seven.
Last edited by Paddles on Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Law 31.6 - benefit of the doubt for an dismissal appeal goes to the batsman
A third umpire call for a run out or stumping is a referral, not a review.

User avatar
baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 3801
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:22 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Australia

Re: Seizmic change in Aussie Cricket.

Postby baggygreenmania » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:55 pm

Paddles wrote:
baggygreenmania wrote:Through current deals, Channel Nine will still broadcast major cricket events in the next 18 months. "We wish Cricket Australia and its new broadcast partners well for the future success of the game," the network said in a statement. "Cricket will continue to be a part of Nine's schedule into the future with current deals in place covering the next Ashes series from England in 2019, the ODI World Cup in the UK in the same year and in 2020 the T20 WCs to be held in Australia."

"Nine still broadcasting major cricket events in next 18months". No actual time frame for when new cricket rights begin. By this Nine statement it wont be before next years Ashes.


Baggers, Nine bought the 2019 English hosted Ashes from the EWCB, and the World Cup from the ICC. Nine may have already bought the WT20 (hosted in Australia) from the ICC.

This has nothing to do with CA selling its local cricket to Fox and Seven.
Thanks for that info Paddles.. should have known that.

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5040
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0

Re: Seizmic change in Aussie Cricket.

Postby Paddles » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:08 am

baggygreenmania wrote:
Paddles wrote:
Baggers, Nine bought the 2019 English hosted Ashes from the EWCB, and the World Cup from the ICC. Nine may have already bought the WT20 (hosted in Australia) from the ICC.

This has nothing to do with CA selling its local cricket to Fox and Seven.
Thanks for that info Paddles.. should have known that.


No worries. For those who don't quite get it, it works like this,

ICC events are owned by the ICC regardless of where they are played. This is the World Cup, Champions Trophy and World T20. The ICC sells this to broadcasters and this is how the ICC generates its money to host u19 events and fund cricketing nations. The ICC does not deal with the Local Cricket Boards at all as the local boards are outside the broadcast rights contract.

Billateral or Trilatteral series, the broadcast rights are owned by the host board of where the game is played. No money is paid to the ICC. This is why everyone is so keen to have India tour their own country, cos those rights sell for big money back in India, and earn the local Cricket Board some big bucks. So playing internationals at home is where the Boards make most their money from both local broadcast and foreign broadcasts. The host may incentivise a touring team by paying them to tour, as India as done with W.I in the past, or more typically simply negotiate favourable reciprocal touring agreements.

Touring teams are not typically supposed to take an interest in who the local board sells the broadcast rights to, but BCCI did recently cancel a tour of the UAE in a series against Pakistan, because the BCCI was not happy with who the PCB was selling the Indian rights to. But there is often politics between these two nations.

Even with the new proposed ICC test championship, the actual scheduling of individual series is still upto the host boards themselves, not the ICC.
Law 31.6 - benefit of the doubt for an dismissal appeal goes to the batsman
A third umpire call for a run out or stumping is a referral, not a review.