Lone Warriors

This is the forum for discussion of all cricketing issues and news. Here you will find frank analysis and opinion on subjects ranging from selection policies, favourite cricketers and match post-mortems right through to dressing room and cricket board fiascos.
raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Cash on hand: Locked
Pakistan

Lone Warriors

Postby raja » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:34 pm

Feel sorry for Cummins.
He was like a lone warrior in this series.
His personal stats were impressive - but were sadly not enough to save the series for his team.

Can you think of other lone warriors?

Those who had a personally outstanding series, but ended up on the losing side of the series?

Off the top of my head, can think of Dravid in England in 2011, and Shane Warne in England in 2005.
Probably Alderman in England in 1981 too.

Mind you, it needs to be an outstanding series, better than even most in the opposition.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Re: Lone Warriors

Postby Katto » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:39 pm

raja wrote:Feel sorry for Cummins.
He was like a lone warrior in this series.
His personal stats were impressive - but were sadly not enough to save the series for his team.

Can you think of other lone warriors?

Those who had a personally outstanding series, but ended up on the losing side of the series?

Off the top of my head, can think of Dravid in England in 2011, and Shane Warne in England in 2005.
Probably Alderman in England in 1981 too.

Mind you, it needs to be an outstanding series, better than even most in the opposition.

Kohli in that 4-0 series India lost out here about 6 years ago

Allan Border through the mid 80's, eg 1985 Ashes

Bruce Reid around 86/87

vague memories of Angus Fraser being good for England when they were really bad in the early 90s

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:35 pm

David Warner in SRH team last year IPL to win the cup against all odds & rockstars.

David Warner >>>>>>>>>>>>> Steve Smith

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
Bank: Locked
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:32 pm

In crying ability? Zing

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:19 am

Cummins is always like that.He will give his 100 % whatever the situation.

Some lone warriors I remember, Andy Flower Vs India, Jimmy Adams Vs India, Marcus Trescothick Vs India, Carl Hooper Vs India,Tendulkar Vs Australia, Hirwani Vs WI, Srinath Vs RSA ( I remember that Motera test when he pulled out the test singlehandedly with no support.), Kohli Vs Aus, Katto referred to that, Kohli scored 4 centuries in 4 tesrts in Australia.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:38 pm

Boycs wrote:In crying ability? Zing

do you need more salt?

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:08 pm

bolero wrote:Cummins is always like that.He will give his 100 % whatever the situation.

Poor man's Pattinson :)

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:12 pm

bolero wrote:Cummins is always like that.He will give his 100 % whatever the situation.

Some lone warriors I remember, Andy Flower Vs India, Jimmy Adams Vs India, Marcus Trescothick Vs India, Carl Hooper Vs India,Tendulkar Vs Australia, Hirwani Vs WI, Srinath Vs RSA ( I remember that Motera test when he pulled out the test singlehandedly with no support.), Kohli Vs Aus, Katto referred to that, Kohli scored 4 centuries in 4 tesrts in Australia.

Some of these were during my blackout period, so I wouldn't know at all. Just to clarify, 2 conditions need to be satisfied to qualify to be called a lone warrior for the purposes of this thread.

1) Did the lone warror's side lose that Test series?

2) Was his performance consistently outstanding in the series? Just an odd memorable performance isn't good enough.

I'd also like to add a 3rd condition - it should have been at least a 3-Test series. These 2-Test series are a joke (unless they end up with England losing the series. :-))

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:36 pm

add this to IPL too.

warner in 2017 IPL.

hehehehe. you bring test cricket in every discussion, i bring IPL here. ;)

jokes aside, tendulkar is a lone warrior in many offshore tours by BCCI. many times not a single batsman gave support to him to save other end when he made century after century. respect.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:48 pm

Katto wrote:

:roll:

Yes, Anderson Cummins is poor man's Pat Patterson.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:58 pm

raja wrote:

Some of these were during my blackout period, so I wouldn't know at all. Just to clarify, 2 conditions need to be satisfied to qualify to be called a lone warrior for the purposes of this thread.

1) Did the lone warror's side lose that Test series?

2) Was his performance consistently outstanding in the series? Just an odd memorable performance isn't good enough.

I'd also like to add a 3rd condition - it should have been at least a 3-Test series. These 2-Test series are a joke (unless they end up with England losing the series. :-))

Most of it during your blackout period.

I will post separately on the performance, don't have patience for writing long posts.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:37 am

bolero wrote:
Katto wrote:

:roll:

Yes, Anderson Cummins is poor man's Pat Patterson.

ha :up: