How I would be bowling to Kohli - McGrath

This is the forum for discussion of all cricketing issues and news. Here you will find frank analysis and opinion on subjects ranging from selection policies, favourite cricketers and match post-mortems right through to dressing room and cricket board fiascos.
bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
Cash on hand: Locked
India

Postby bolero » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:54 am

Since we are discussing Aussie quicks in another thread, heres Glenn McGraths strategy for Kohli.

---------------

Former Aussie speedster Glenn McGrath has put forth his opinion about the perpetual comparisons between Virat Kohli and Sachin Tendulkar. Since he was involved in numerous contests with Tendulkar in the past, his opinion on both of them makes for an interesting topic.

While the current Indian skipper is doing justice to his reputation to a consistent run-machine, he is also breaking several records in that process. He has broken several records that Sachin Tendulkar set but viewers and fans all over the world, in particular, look forward to his next big milestone which is to get past the legend’s record of most centuries in ODIs.

Do not compare eras – The Kohli-Tendulkar rivalry
On the comparisons between Kohli and Tendulkar, Aussie pace ace said, “I don’t like to compare eras. Every era makes it own demands and the pitches, generally, are better for batting these days. Sachin, on his day, could decimate attacks. Kohli is a very attacking batsman too.” McGrath tells Sportstar.

There are very few bowlers that trouble Kohli at the moment but what McGrath’s plan would have been bowling to Kohli is a sight we will never witness. However, he explains what it would possibly be by saying, “Kohli is a quality batsman, a confidence player, and as a bowler, I would cut off his scoring areas and build pressure. He is good through the off-side, I would block him there. He is good off his legs too and again I would deny him runs in that area.”

McGrath added, “Kohli is solid technically, has an aggressive attitude, goes about his cricket with passion and I would like to play on his mind, prevent him from scoring freely.”

“And I would bowl an in-between length at Kohli, neither too full nor too short and cramp him for room,” he elaborated, as reported by Sportstar.

There were other tactics too, McGrath revealed, that could work against a run-machine such as Kohli. “For instance, you could have an aggressive field and bowl a defensive line. There are areas to score but the ball is not there to be hit. It forces mistakes.”

Then there is the classic McGrath ploy, hitting the top of off-stump, a line which is known to be a dominant one in his dismissals in the past. “The length for this depends from wicket to wicket and from batsman to batsman. When I bowl this line, I would want a full slip cordon. There is nothing worse for a bowler than to see the ball going through an empty area in the cordon.”

On how far Kohli could travel in his extraordinary journey, McGrath answered, “If he continues to bat the way he is doing now, he could well go past Sachin’s records.”

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Re: How I would be bowling to Kohli - McGrath

Postby bolero » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:54 am

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:14 am

interesting that Kohli was dismissed by each of the Aussie bowlers once each in the last series so you can't say any particular bowler has the wood on him, they all seem to :lol:

Starc, O'Keefe, Lyon, Hazlewood and Cummins

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:16 am

I like the way McGrath analyses. He was always like this as a bowler. Also he never liked getting hit by the batsman.

That disturbed him.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:39 am

bolero wrote:I like the way McGrath analyses. He was always like this as a bowler. Also he never liked getting hit by the batsman.

That disturbed him.

he has quite an abnormal personality for a fast bowler
as a player he wasn't really given credit for his intellect, but having seen him interviewed he's above average in that regard

at the time, during the 90's he was never a really popular bowler in Australia because he carried on a bit on the field - a bit of an angry character who wasn't really endearing to fans - however his greatness was recognised toward the end of his career

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:58 am

re Kohli, although he can be annoying at times, if I were Indian I'd love him

while Tendulkar was probably a better player, Kohli is better for the team and just wants his team to win

give me rude honesty over polite dishonesty any day

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:24 pm

Apt comparison.Kohlis record chasing and Tendulkars record chasing quite different.

Tendulkar was at his peak from 1989 to 1999.After that , it was self preservation with his injuries with the occasional big knock.

Temdulkar eschewed the hook shot completely after 1999 and chose to duck the bouncer.

He fell victim to his mentor Gavaskars advice, century comes first.Winning is second priority.

Kohli will not mind if he scores a duck as long as the team wins.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:47 pm

if mcgrath bowls to kohli he would sure take him to cleaners today

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:15 am

Going South wrote:if mcgrath bowls to kohli he would sure take him to cleaners today

McGrath often bowled precisely in the corridor that Kohli tends to play at and nick to the keeper/slips.
Besides, McGrath was not known for too many freebies, so he'd starve Kohli of runs, forcing him to take unnecessary risks.

It's a hypothetical situation of course, but, much as I admire Kohli's batting, I don't think he'd be able to treat McGrath the way you suggest. :grin:

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:06 am

raja wrote:
Going South wrote:if mcgrath bowls to kohli he would sure take him to cleaners today

McGrath often bowled precisely in the corridor that Kohli tends to play at and nick to the keeper/slips.
Besides, McGrath was not known for too many freebies, so he'd starve Kohli of runs, forcing him to take unnecessary risks.

It's a hypothetical situation of course, but, much as I admire Kohli's batting, I don't think he'd be able to treat McGrath the way you suggest. :grin:

It would depend on the surface. A low bouncing pitch such as what are often served up to Australia when they tour for test series would probably give Kohli the edge (no pun intended) - as McGrath's effectiveness often relied on him being about to get good bounce on a good length. If there's no nip in the pitch Kohli can play away from his body off the back foot without a lot of risk.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:12 am

raja wrote:

mcgrath is too predictable with his line and length. very little variation. no way in hell he can bowl 20th over of a T20. he would be taken to cleaners for sure. when kohli is on a rampage mcgrath would be treated like rubbish. he is not cut for limited overs bowling of day. gone are those days. today’s cricket is batsmen favoring much more than earlier days. what nick/slips? the ball would be out of ground most of times. all fielders would be standing on boundary ropes. i am not hyping. i have seen enough of kohli batting and his too many centuries.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:12 pm

Are you saying Kohli is better than Sachin?

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:29 pm

definitely. kohli is better than sachin in limited over format.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:43 am

I thought we were talking about McGrath vs Kohli in Tests.
That's why I talked about nicking to the slips.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:46 am

why tests?
kohli’s strength is in limited version though he is providing in himself good in test cricket too.
whole world know that he is the BEST now in limited over cricket.
yet you want to compare his test cricket? WTF?
look around.
it’s the era of limited overs cricket.
TEST CRICKET IS DEAD.
compare apples with apples.

it’s similar to somone opening a thread on VVS laxman T20 skills. how moronic does that sound? eh????

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:41 am

No doubt in limited overs, loaded as they are in the batsman's favour, Kohli is pretty formidable.
But you agree that he'd struggle against McGrath in Tests?

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:46 pm

no. i don’t agree. mcgrath get often hyped beyond his actual capacity. what was his contribution to test cricket? is he greatest bowler? no? he barely even make top 10. kohli sure is one of greatest. don’t u agree ?
for a hypothetical comparison find me one of greatest test fast bowler i might agree but not an average “not so fast” medium pace bowler like mcgrath. nope. kohli would eat mcgrath alive. no match.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:59 pm

Going South wrote:no. i don’t agree. mcgrath get often hyped beyond his actual capacity. what was his contribution to test cricket? is he greatest bowler? no? he barely even make top 10. kohli sure is one of greatest. don’t u agree ?
for a hypothetical comparison find me one of greatest test fast bowler i might agree but not an average “not so fast” medium pace bowler like mcgrath. nope. kohli would eat mcgrath alive. no match.

Kohli is no doubt a very good batsman - but until he proves himself master against the moving ball, he will have that question mark against him.
McGrath, on the other hand, is one of the greatest of all-time, and often troubled Sachin.
Talking Tests (the format that really matters), where Sachin is still miles ahead of Kohli, we can say that hypothetically McGrath would've had Kohli for breakfast and lunch, if not breakfast, lunch and dinner. :grin:

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:42 pm

kohli > sachin

troubling sachin is not enough. ha!!

you think mcgrath is the greatest fast bowler of this era? hahahahahaha say no more

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:08 pm

Going South wrote:kohli > sachin

troubling sachin is not enough. ha!!

you think mcgrath is the greatest fast bowler of this era? hahahahahaha say no more

McGrath in the bowling roll of honour > Kohli in the batting roll of honour :grin:

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:14 pm

wrong.
kohli is #1 in batting department.
mcgrath can’t make top 10 in bowling department.
no contest. ;)

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:44 am

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:46 am

Compare that with this ->

I am not saying this, McCullum is.
https://www.deccanchronicle.com/sports/ ... me-xi.html

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:59 am

hahahahahaha
that’s politically correctness if you want to survive IPL blues

can’t rule out jealousy

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:02 pm

australia 11 is not world 11. duh!!!!
world is not australia alone. even more die hard australian fans laugh at your lame attempt to put mcgrath at world 11 team.
hahahahahaha