Gavaskar's 57 at Old Trafford, 1971

This is the forum for discussion of all cricketing issues and news. Here you will find frank analysis and opinion on subjects ranging from selection policies, favourite cricketers and match post-mortems right through to dressing room and cricket board fiascos.
raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Cash on hand: Locked
Pakistan

Postby raja » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:17 am

I posted this also on the South Africa-BCCI ODI thread but I think it merits a separate thread.

I've often been asked why I consider getting runs in England important as a measure of a batsman's ability.
To be fair, getting runs on the sub-continent is also a measure - if you can't, you'll have a question mark against your batting ability.

It's not about England or even the sub-continent.
It's about being able to bat in different conditions.

We assume the ball swings in England,and turns a lot in the sub-continent.
These assumptions are generally true but not necessarily so.

Many an Oval wicket has been a graveyard for the quicks - it was on such a wicket that Holding ripped apart England's batting in 1976 (which is why his performance in that match is considered so special).

Increasingly England wickets are not what they used to be. They seem to have become more batsman-friendly in general (in keeping with wickets around the world? Even the WACA (now retired) has long not been the fast bowler's delight it once was. The same applies to Sabina Park, Kingston).

So it's not about England, it's about conditions.

A batsman who can play in different conditions - on wickets which assist swing, or bounce, or turn - against good attacks. I rate such a player highly.
A 50 in such conditions has often been a delight to watch for me.
I will never forget Gavaskar's 96 at Bangalore, 1987 - his last Test innings.

The little man himself rates his 57 at Manchester in 1971 as his most satisfying innings.
Not necessarily his best, but for personal reasons, his most satisfying.

This is a good read. Demonstrates a bit of what I'm trying to say here.
Am hoping Kohli will get such conditions - and will excel.
Unlikely though (the conditions, I mean). BCCI play in August - and by then, being mid-summer, wickets are less likely to assist bowlers.
Let's see.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/co ... 66991.html

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Re: Gavaskar's 57 at Old Trafford, 1971

Postby raja » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:31 am

Also, read up on the Sabina Park, Kingston Test of 1976 - West Indies vs India.

That required courage as a batsman - in those days without all the protective gear we have now.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:39 am

yes. I admire Gavaskar for his courageous windies tours where he has nothing to protect him against “whispering death” bowling from the great MM. The other 3 support cast fast bowlers is also equally deadly, one of world’s all time top class. It’s a miracle that nobody died those days. Sandeep patil wet his pants but not Gavaskar. Most of the times Sunil Gavaskar is the only lone man standing more like sachin in the 90s. But you need more courage concentration to face fast bowling unprotected than protected by helmets and guards all over body, how good you are, hence I rate Gavaskar much higher than sachin. (yes, it’s me, honest opinion ;)). There are no good solid support batsmen from other end either. Inspite of all the hard work many hated him for his slow protective batting those days, only after Dravid became popular as THE WALL, people started appreciating wicket-safe batting.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Bank: Locked

Postby Paddles » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:44 am

Going South wrote:yes. i rate Gavaskar for his courageous windies tours where he has nothing to protect him against “whispering death” bowling from the great MM. The other 3 support cast is also equally deadly. Sandeep patil wet his pants but not Gavaskar. Most of the times he is the only lone man standing more like sachin in the 90s. But you need more courage concentration to face fast bowling unprotected than protected by helmets and guards all over body, hence I rate Gavaskar rated higher than sachin. (yes, it’s me, honest opinion ;))

Yeah in tests - Gavaskar is a true elite for me. No need to hype what he did or who he played against on what. Overshadowed by Viv in his era, but Gavaskar preceded and then went toe to toe with AB (when Viv was more reputational than actual in tests) and they left the chasers well in their wake (you guys know how very highly I rate AB) until Crowe was recognised.

A great opening batsman. One of the very very best ever. Every innings facing the new ball. Most of them against fresh bowlers. Many on day 1. Outstanding. I've read of him referred to as one of the 4 great test openers. I have no immediate quarrel with that comment as yet.
Law 31.6 - benefit of the doubt for an dismissal appeal goes to the batsman
A third umpire call for a run out or stumping is a referral, not a review.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:38 pm

Reporter: Sir, your opinion about #ValentinesDay ?

Gavaskar: Not a big fan..

Reporter: Why sir?

Gavaskar: We should never ignore singles. Singles are very important!