U-19 squads of yesteryear

This is the forum for discussion of all cricketing issues and news. Here you will find frank analysis and opinion on subjects ranging from selection policies, favourite cricketers and match post-mortems right through to dressing room and cricket board fiascos.
raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Cash on hand: Locked
Pakistan

U-19 squads of yesteryear

Postby raja » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:04 am

OK, so out of curiosity, I had a look at details of the first U-19 World Cup.
It was in 1987-88 - during my blackout period.

Looking at the squads was an interesting exercise.

Alan Mullaly in the Aussie squad.
Andy Caddick for New Zealand.
Brian Lara captaining the West Indies.

Australia's Brett Williams was top scorer, teammate Wayne Holdsworth top wicket-taker.
What happened to them thereafter?
In fact, except for Stuart Law, I don't think I've heard of any of the others in the Aussie squad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_Yout ... _World_Cup

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Bank: Locked

Re: U-19 squads of yesteryear

Postby Paddles » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:15 am

Typical NZ, even with Cairns, Thomson (then a fast bowler all rounder and Cairns rival for NZ honours in 89/90), Pringle and Caddick with Germon wicket keeping, the batsmen let them down. When Mark Douglas is the most famous batsman on the list, the team was going to have a lot of trouble. No spinner of note neither. And it helps explain NZ batting post Crowe and Wright from 93/94 onwards until Flemm, Astle, Macca, Vettorri and even Rigor made their marks.

Raja, 80's cricket and NZ ought to be a thing of celebration, don't bring up u19's from 1987/88 which accurately forecast the doldrums of the mid 90s cricket in NZ.
Law 31.6 - benefit of the doubt for an dismissal appeal goes to the batsman
A third umpire call for a run out or stumping is a referral, not a review.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:35 am

Haha....that wasn't the idea at all. :-)
Was just interesting to see what names figured here - and what happened to many of the players.
Was even surprised to see Hirwani's name - he was born in Oct 1968, so made his Test debut very young.

Even Sanath Jayasuriya is on this. I suspect he was more of a bowler then. I remember that's how he started his career. Used to bat low down in the order.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:41 am

raja wrote:OK, so out of curiosity, I had a look at details of the first U-19 World Cup.

Australia's Brett Williams was top scorer, teammate Wayne Holdsworth top wicket-taker.
In fact, except for Stuart Law, I don't think I've heard of any of the others in the Aussie squad.

Any of these guys deserve to be in the wasted talent list ? Mulally ? Caddick ?

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:51 am

Wonder why no Sachin (or Kambli) in the Indian squad.
Kumble would have been barely 17.
In any case, I don't think Kumble was that good when he started, was he?
He grew as a bowler as he played more.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:00 am

raja wrote:Wonder why no Sachin (or Kambli) in the Indian squad.

When did under 19 cricket start ?

Sachin was already in the Indian senior team at the age of 16.

He didnt need to be in under 19 team.

Sachin debuted in 1989 against Imran Khan, Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis in 1989 in Pakistan. Most hostile reception on debut. Braved it out.

Sachin had already set the stage alight in schools cricket in Giles Shield and Harris Shield (with Kambli) and later he was picked for Mumbai Ranji team in 1988 at the age of 15. He was liked by Shastri and recommended by Gavaskar to the national selectors. Gavaskar had by then retired from international cricket in 1987.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:55 am

raja wrote:Haha....that wasn't the idea at all. :-)
Was just interesting to see what names figured here - and what happened to many of the players.
Was even surprised to see Hirwani's name - he was born in Oct 1968, so made his Test debut very young.

Even Sanath Jayasuriya is on this. I suspect he was more of a bowler then. I remember that's how he started his career. Used to bat low down in the order.

Sanath was always an allrounder. Debut'd in odi at 5 ahead of Gurasinghe. But he was top 7 in both formats if not 6. He just moved upto opening the batting. He still bowled. SL were big on keeper bats as well, not just Tilikiratne.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1674 ... anka-1987/
Law 31.6 - benefit of the doubt for an dismissal appeal goes to the batsman
A third umpire call for a run out or stumping is a referral, not a review.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:11 am

bolero wrote:
raja wrote:Wonder why no Sachin (or Kambli) in the Indian squad.

When did under 19 cricket start ?

Sachin was already in the Indian senior team at the age of 16.

He didnt need to be in under 19 team.

Sachin debuted in 1989 against Imran Khan, Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis in 1989 in Pakistan. Most hostile reception on debut. Braved it out.

Sachin had already set the stage alight in schools cricket in Giles Shield and Harris Shield (with Kambli) and later he was picked for Mumbai Ranji team in 1988 at the age of 15. He was liked by Shastri and recommended by Gavaskar to the national selectors. Gavaskar had by then retired from international cricket in 1987.

Raja, Just to add...

Sachin Tendulkar scored a hundred on his Ranji debut against Gujarat way back in 1988 at the age of 15 years 230 days. Although he was picked in the Mumbai side a year ago in 1987, he was handed a debut only next season when the captain Dilip Vengsarkar was impressed after seeing him in the nets.

Tendulkar grabbed the opportunity with both hands and hit an unbeaten hundred at the Wankhede stadium that made him the youngest player in history of Indian cricket to hit a hundred on Ranji debut.

Not only did he score a hundred on his Ranji debut, he went to score tons in his debut games in Deodhar and Duleep Trophies as well. He didn’t stop there. He went to score an unbeaten hundred on his Irani trophy debut against Delhi in 1989-90 season thus becoming the only Indian to achieve the feat of scoring debut hundreds in all four Indian domestic competitions.

However, in the Ranji Trophy, Tendulkar’s favourite partner was Sanjay Manjrekar, the star Mumbai and India batsman. Both of them formed a prolific pair and added 915 runs in 10 innings together at an average of 101.66 with 5 century stands.

Tendulkar also had 5 century stands with Vinod Kambli in Ranji Trophy.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/cricket/5-r ... ntendulkar

squarecut
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby squarecut » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:21 am

Was just interesting to see wha

Hirwani played in that U-19 world cup after he had already made his test debut taking 16 wickets ! It may have been the only instance of a player already a test cap, playing in U-19 world cup. I do not think we can find any other example.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:43 am

squarecut wrote:
Was just interesting to see wha

Hirwani played in that U-19 world cup after he had already made his test debut taking 16 wickets ! It may have been the only instance of a player already a test cap, playing in U-19 world cup. I do not think we can find any other example.

30 years ago Hirwani destroyed the Windies picking up many a scalp like Richards. I still remember his action with the hop, skip and jump which he made to the crease , it was similar to Abdul Qadir and one more Pak spinner (don't recollect the name). We had DD in those days (satellite TV came to India only with the advent of Gulf War). The matches telecast on DD in those days was a small pleasure for us viewers.

Somehow, Hirwani remained a one test wonder and did not do much later. He came into the BCCI zonal selection panel, was also mentior for Amit Mishra.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:52 am

When Ravi Shastri told Hirwani: Tu bindaas dal

On the 30th anniversary of Narendra Hirwani's debut Test, in which he spun a deadly web around the West Indies in Chennai, TOI takes a trip down memory lane...

January 15, 1988. Exactly 30 years ago, a bespectacled, 19-year-old lad from Gorakhpur, his mass of long and curly hair held in place by a headband, had mesmerised the Caribbeans at Chepauk with a magical display of leg-spin bowling to help India share the honours in the four-Test series (1987-88).
Narendra Deepchand Hirwani had arrived on the scene — with a bang. His figures of 8/61 and 8/75 in his debut Test gave him match figures of 16/135 and made him the proud owner of a world record that stands even today. No bowler has since bettered that mark after Hirwani snatched that record from Australian Bob Massie, who had claimed 16/136 on debut against England at Lord's in 1972.

Hirwani's exploits are now part of cricket's folklore. He could have finished with 17 wickets had fellow-debutant Woorkeri Raman not picked up the wicket of tailender Courtney Walsh in the only over he bowled in the match!

It was a great day for Indian cricket. The mighty Windies had been humbled inside four days with two Indians creating world records. For the three Indian Test debutants — Hirwani, Raman and Ajay Sharma — it was a match to remember. It was doubly memorable for Shastri, who led the side in absence of regular captain Dilip Vengsarkar, who had been ruled out with an injured arm. It was a twist of fate that Shastri never led India in another Test. Sharma, too, never played another Test. But for Raman and Hirwani, the journey had just begun.

Hirwani, on his part, credits Shastri for his success on debut. "Ravi bhai told be on the flight from Bombay (now Mumbai) to Madras that I would be playing the match. I was bowling well and was hungry for success. Ravi bhai's assurance boosted my self-confidence." recounted Hirwani, who accounted for the great Vivian Richards in both innings.

The leg-spinner narrated an interesting anecdote. "Ravi bhai had told me to stick to a good line and length and mix up my leg-break and googlies. I did just that and picked three of the first five West Indies wickets to fall in the first innings, but Viv was going great guns.

"I wanted to bowl a few flippers but refrained from doing so and followed my captain's instructions. At the end of Day 2, Viv was unbeaten on 62," Hirwani added.

The following day being a rest day, Hirwani shared his anguish with physio Ali Irani, stating he was confident of getting through Viv's defence with a flipper but didn't have the gall to defy his captain. "In the evening Ravi bhai called me to his room and told me. 'tu bindaas dal (you bowl without any fear)'. I was elated and so excited that I could not sleep the night. I kept visualising bowling a flipper to Viv and the ball eluding his bat and going straight through and hitting the stumps. By the time we reached the ground, I had replayed the sequence in my mind one hundred times.

"It panned out exactly the same way hours later. I dismissed Viv with a flipper — this time for real — and Ravi bhai came rushing, exclaiming 'wah Hiru, kya flipper dala (wow Hiru, what a flipper)'. I just stood there, soaking in the moment," said Hirwani.

The rest, of course, is history. Sixteen cakes were waiting for Hirwani when the players returned to the team hotel. But there was a bigger surprise in store for him when Dharmendra, Hirwani's favourite actor, came to meet him since he was staying in the same hotel.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spo ... 492803.cms

squarecut
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby squarecut » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:18 am

I was not aware that Hirwani was from UP. He played Ranji trophy for MP, so I thought he was from MP.

Hirwani was perhaps the first cricketer from MP to play in tests.

The next MP player to play test matches was Rajesh Chauhan. He was born in Ranchi ! So it is a good KBC question to ask. Who is the first Ranchi born player to play test cricket. People who reply Dhoni will be wrong.

Rajesh Chauhan lived (still lives) in Bhilai, Chattisgarh.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:20 am

It was a surprise to me too. Always though he was from MP, never knew he was from Gorakhpur.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:33 am

Thats when I started seeing serious cricket. Thats why I recollect Hirwani's spell so vividly.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:03 am

raja wrote:OK, so out of curiosity, I had a look at details of the first U-19 World Cup.

I remember Wayne Holdsworth at NSW. Tearaway quick but how could he get a game for Australia during an era of a lot of depth

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:26 am

squarecut wrote:I was not aware that Hirwani was from UP. He played Ranji trophy for MP, so I thought he was from MP.

The next MP player to play test matches was Rajesh Chauhan. He was born in Ranchi ! So it is a good KBC question to ask. Who is the first Ranchi born player to play test cricket. People who reply Dhoni will be wrong.

There have been very few from MP,for sure - not counting those who played only for Holkar.
The one name that comes to mind is allrounder Chandu Sarwate.

Tinsel
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby Tinsel » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:41 pm

raja wrote:
squarecut wrote:I was not aware that Hirwani was from UP. He played Ranji trophy for MP, so I thought he was from MP.

There have been very few from MP,for sure - not counting those who played only for Holkar.
The one name that comes to mind is allrounder Chandu Sarwate.

Mushtaq Ali finest Madhya Pradesh Player in his early career. Chandu Sarwate too played 8 Test for India who was from Madhyapradesh

A. Khureshiya and Naman Ozha too from madhyapradesh who played ODI for India.
Hirwani was born in UP but lived in MP for 27 years

Jai Prakash Yadav played for India also from MP: who hits 265 in F.C. for MP highest ever in
History of MP cricket

Chandrakant pandit helped MP to enter Ranji trophy FINAL in 1999.

I think both MP born—- Devendra Bundela and Jalal saxsena most un-lucky not plays for India

Rajesh Chauhan given 276 runs vs Srilankas 952 for 6 at Colombo who is MP born
78/8/276/1

He took 76 international wkts for India
Raja
I predicted my team @ Calcutta game,
KKR winner
MoM Kuldeep Yadav

I post it Much early but deleted by someone who has access of my user