When 100% fit which team would have the Best Bowling Attack.

This is the forum for discussion of all cricketing issues and news. Here you will find frank analysis and opinion on subjects ranging from selection policies, favourite cricketers and match post-mortems right through to dressing room and cricket board fiascos.
User avatar
Aneesmoha
CF Specialist
CF Specialist
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:02 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
South Africa

When 100% fit which team would have the Best Bowling Attack.

Postby Aneesmoha » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:04 am

Alot was said about the SA four pronged attack vs India at Newlands.

With Steyn, Philander, Morkle, Rabada and Maharaj (who didn't contribute with the ball) the talk was that on paper this was the best bowling line up in the world.

The debate is, on paper is there another bowling attack when fully fit that can give those 5 a run for their money?

User avatar
Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
Posts: 12126
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:32 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
United Kingdom

Re: When 100% fit which team would have the Best Bowling Attack.

Postby Boycs » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:03 am

It’s a tough one as the full question would be “who would be the best bowling attack WHERE?”

Could even SA get spicy life out of an Indian pitch, or a flat UAE pitch?

Can anyone out bowl jimmy Anderson in helpful English conditions?

I think all round ability a fit SA side probably competes with Australia as the strongest pace attack going at the moment. Though each team may have a quibble over which final four they pick.

I think New Zealand put together a decent attack too particularly in their home conditions or England.

User avatar
Aneesmoha
CF Specialist
CF Specialist
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:02 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
South Africa

Re: When 100% fit which team would have the Best Bowling Attack.

Postby Aneesmoha » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:24 am

I would agree especially since even though yes we stipulating that they are 100% fit there is only really one of the SA quicks that are in their prime and that is Rabada.

SA in the past have Steyn in particular did extremely well in India and UAE (as soon as the ball started reversing that is)

I really like the New Zealand attack which is why I am so surprised that they don't do better when they tour SA

User avatar
Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Posts: 15944
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:34 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Tuvalu

Re: When 100% fit which team would have the Best Bowling Attack.

Postby Katto » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:33 am

When 100% fit someone like Paddles would argue the Aussie attack would include James Pattinson :lol:
Naturally he'd leave out Pat Cummins who was the #1 wicket taker in the recent Ashes series.

So you'd have to consider that hypothetical attack too.

User avatar
Aneesmoha
CF Specialist
CF Specialist
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:02 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
South Africa

Re: When 100% fit which team would have the Best Bowling Attack.

Postby Aneesmoha » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:03 am

Katto wrote:When 100% fit someone like Paddles would argue the Aussie attack would include James Pattinson :lol:
Naturally he'd leave out Pat Cummins who was the #1 wicket taker in the recent Ashes series.

So you'd have to consider that hypothetical attack too.


You guys still going at it??? :lmao:

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5069
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0

Re: When 100% fit which team would have the Best Bowling Attack.

Postby Paddles » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:32 am

Aneesmoha wrote:I would agree especially since even though yes we stipulating that they are 100% fit there is only really one of the SA quicks that are in their prime and that is Rabada.

SA in the past have Steyn in particular did extremely well in India and UAE (as soon as the ball started reversing that is)

I really like the New Zealand attack which is why I am so surprised that they don't do better when they tour SA


SA has just been too good with star players fit for NZC when we tour. Wagner went well last tour, tho.

Amla, Faf, ABDV, Steyn, Morkel and Philander aren't getting any younger. So maybe in the next ten years NZC can finally get a series win there. Markram, QDK, Maharaj and Rabada prolly disagree.
Law 31.6 - benefit of the doubt for an dismissal appeal goes to the batsman
A third umpire call for a run out or stumping is a referral, not a review.

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5069
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0

Re: When 100% fit which team would have the Best Bowling Attack.

Postby Paddles » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:41 am

Aneesmoha wrote:Alot was said about the SA four pronged attack vs India at Newlands.

With Steyn, Philander, Morkle, Rabada and Maharaj (who didn't contribute with the ball) the talk was that on paper this was the best bowling line up in the world.

The debate is, on paper is there another bowling attack when fully fit that can give those 5 a run for their money?


I think SA has the best attack outside bunsen burners. I think their loss in England series away hinged on Philander getting ill.

But the question for me - is these 5 bowlers too bowler heavy and a balanced xi? SA have allrounder options like CMoz, Pheluk, and even Parnell. Or they could play 4 bowlers only.

Its a tricky one getting the balance right. Helps that Philander and Maharaj aren't batting spuds tho. QDK or ABDV keeping helps no end too.
Law 31.6 - benefit of the doubt for an dismissal appeal goes to the batsman
A third umpire call for a run out or stumping is a referral, not a review.

User avatar
bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5599
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:09 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: When 100% fit which team would have the Best Bowling Attack.

Postby bolero » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:24 am

The attack comprising Steyn, Morkel, Philander and Rabada is some attack, we saw what they did to India in the first innings of the first test. No respite at all, was better than the Australian attack in the Ashes.

User avatar
bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5599
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:09 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: When 100% fit which team would have the Best Bowling Attack.

Postby bolero » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:29 am

Coach Ian Pont says this about Indian attack:-

All three seamers: Bumrah, Shami and now Pandya don't use the base of their action at all well. All could be better/faster and more efficient. You just feel that if Shami & Bumrah had an extra 6-10kph the SA batsmen would be REALLY struggling on this pitch

Image

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5069
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0

Re: When 100% fit which team would have the Best Bowling Attack.

Postby Paddles » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:17 am

bolero wrote:Coach Ian Pont says this about Indian attack:-

All three seamers: Bumrah, Shami and now Pandya don't use the base of their action at all well. All could be better/faster and more efficient. You just feel that if Shami & Bumrah had an extra 6-10kph the SA batsmen would be REALLY struggling on this pitch

Image


Is Atul Sharma ready yet?
Law 31.6 - benefit of the doubt for an dismissal appeal goes to the batsman
A third umpire call for a run out or stumping is a referral, not a review.

User avatar
Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Posts: 15944
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:34 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Tuvalu

Re: When 100% fit which team would have the Best Bowling Attack.

Postby Katto » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:23 am

bolero wrote:The attack comprising Steyn, Morkel, Philander and Rabada is some attack, we saw what they did to India in the first innings of the first test. No respite at all, was better than the Australian attack in the Ashes.


Pitches a bit more bowler friendly in South Africa to say the least

User avatar
bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5599
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:09 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: When 100% fit which team would have the Best Bowling Attack.

Postby bolero » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:27 am

Paddles wrote:
bolero wrote:Coach Ian Pont says this about Indian attack:-

All three seamers: Bumrah, Shami and now Pandya don't use the base of their action at all well. All could be better/faster and more efficient. You just feel that if Shami & Bumrah had an extra 6-10kph the SA batsmen would be REALLY struggling on this pitch



Is Atul Sharma ready yet?


Atul Sharma was the biggest hoax hahaha

User avatar
raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 29273
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:14 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Pakistan

Re: When 100% fit which team would have the Best Bowling Attack.

Postby raja » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:46 pm

I wouldn't say a fully fit Aussie attack is at par with a fully fit SA attack.

Morkel + Philander + Rabada + Steyn/Morris + Maharaj >>> Starc + Hazlewood + Cummins + Pattinson + Lyon.

Surprisingly what narrows the gap for me is Lyon.
I haven't seen much of Maharaj to comment on him (his stats look good so far, but he's played just 15 Tests) but Lyon impresses me.

Looking just at quicks, SA easily outbowl the Aussie quicks, for me.

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5069
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0

Re: When 100% fit which team would have the Best Bowling Attack.

Postby Paddles » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:02 am

raja wrote:I wouldn't say a fully fit Aussie attack is at par with a fully fit SA attack.

Morkel + Philander + Rabada + Steyn/Morris + Maharaj >>> Starc + Hazlewood + Cummins + Pattinson + Lyon.

Surprisingly what narrows the gap for me is Lyon.
I haven't seen much of Maharaj to comment on him (his stats look good so far, but he's played just 15 Tests) but Lyon impresses me.

Looking just at quicks, SA easily outbowl the Aussie quicks, for me.


Yeah, fair point Raja. Maharaj is promising but Lyon's quality is proven.

Interestingly they've had completely different starts to their careers. Lyon started off rather averagely statistically and has climbed the ladders of success, whereas Maharaj has started with a hiss and a roar to his stats.

But on deeper inspection, Maharaj gets a pass mark in England at 30, (Lyon has the same tho) but Maharaj has been bullying Zimbabwe and Bangladesh at home for his impressive stats. While his numbers against NZ are very good, the first test 5 for included tail enders to impress his stats and NZ batsmen at the basin were missing non-turning offies in a pathetic display of batting, and he let Niccolls, arguably NZ's weakest batsman, make a debut 100 while he snagged 8 wickets. Maharaj's bowling was plundered by NZ in the next test. Lets not forget Lyon has bamboozled NZ batting home and away.

So despite Maharaj showing great promise in 15 tests at 25.6, Lyon has shown world class credentials of late globally in 71 tests at 31.64.

But Maharaj does have the opportunities with India and Aus touring this summer to display his worth against more top sides.

It is nice to be talking about a South African test spinner that isn't retired for once, tho.
Law 31.6 - benefit of the doubt for an dismissal appeal goes to the batsman
A third umpire call for a run out or stumping is a referral, not a review.

User avatar
Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
Posts: 12126
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:32 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
United Kingdom

Re: When 100% fit which team would have the Best Bowling Attack.

Postby Boycs » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:57 am

..... and doesn’t have an epileptic seizure for a bowling action

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5069
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0

Re: When 100% fit which team would have the Best Bowling Attack.

Postby Paddles » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:31 am

Boycs wrote:..... and doesn’t have an epileptic seizure for a bowling action


Yeah - Steve Smith's batting really is stealing the Paul Adams descript of 'frog in a blender'.
Law 31.6 - benefit of the doubt for an dismissal appeal goes to the batsman
A third umpire call for a run out or stumping is a referral, not a review.

User avatar
bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 5599
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:09 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: When 100% fit which team would have the Best Bowling Attack.

Postby bolero » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:32 am

Boycs wrote:..... and doesn’t have an epileptic seizure for a bowling action


Paul Adams ?