Delightful piece: Coffee with Chandra

This is the forum for discussion of all cricketing issues and news. Here you will find frank analysis and opinion on subjects ranging from selection policies, favourite cricketers and match post-mortems right through to dressing room and cricket board fiascos.
raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Cash on hand: Locked
Pakistan

Delightful piece: Coffee with Chandra

Postby raja » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:20 pm

I just loved this piece.

Chandra (who is my profile pic) and Vishwanath were my two favourite Indian cricketers when I was a schoolboy.
I liked the other players too - Gavaskar, Bedi et al - but these two were very special.

Both are from the state of Karnataka - a state that has produced some other fine Test cricketers like Prasanna, Kirmani, Binny, Srinath, Kumble and Dravid.
In the 60s, there was V. Subramanyam (who migrated to Australia later), in the 70s there was also Brijesh Patel who was prolific in domestic cricket but, barring a good series in the Windies in 1975-76, didn't quite deliver to expectations. (Was a fine fielder in the covers though).

More recently, we've had KL Rahul, Stuart Binny (cough, cough!) and Karun Nair. Oh, and Robin Uthappa too. And Vinay Kumar, Abhimanyu Mithun.
And how could I forget Venkatesh Prasad?

And hopefully we'll soon have a few more, especially Shreyas Gopal.
Proving to be quite a handy all-rounder.

But I digress.

This piece is about B.S.Chandrasekhar.

A bowler who even Viv Richards admitted he didn't feel comfortable batting against.

Just struck me that Bradman also said something similar about Bill O'Reilly. Chandra's bowling was a lot in the O'Reilly mould.

http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/story/ ... th-chandra

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Re: Delightful piece: Coffee with Chandra

Postby raja » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:35 pm

And this is what Bedi had to say about Chandra.
Chandra is a shy person, and tends to keep away from the limelight.
Am really glad he and Bedi are good friends though.

http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2005/may/17bedi.htm

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Re: Delightful piece: Coffee with Chandra

Postby bolero » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:23 am

BS Chandrashekhar had a really freaky action. He was a weird genius.

I think his arm was polio afflicted. Along with Bedi and Prasanna formed the cog of spin bowling for India. Later Venkataraghavan joined in.