South Africa GLT20 league about to go bust

This is the forum for discussion of all cricketing issues and news. Here you will find frank analysis and opinion on subjects ranging from selection policies, favourite cricketers and match post-mortems right through to dressing room and cricket board fiascos.
Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Cash on hand: Locked
Tuvalu

South Africa GLT20 league about to go bust

Postby Katto » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:17 am

its a shame the money isn't there to keep this going and CA's Big Bash is on life support.

only the IPL and perhaps whatever England have seems sustainable

maybe time for these leagues to consolidate and not burn so much money on expensive imports and rather develop local talent

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Re: South Africa GLT20 league about to go bust

Postby bolero » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:13 am

I dont think cricket will die either in India or Australia, both boards are quite sound, even though there maybe pay disputes. Not sure about finances of any of the other member country boards.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:16 am

But its a warning nevertheless. Everybody is replicating IPL. It may not work. England and Australian leagues just above water. Other such copycat T20 leagues would only drain and suck the money. WI, Pak, Saffers all have their copycat T20 leagues.

DarkMoon
CF Regular
CF Regular
New Zealand

Postby DarkMoon » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:33 am

Good posting

6 of the 8 teams owned by Indians including Bollywood beauty P.Zinta and king Khan shah rukh khan

Too late as it's postponed
http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/97 ... bal-league
Oct.10,'17 : Ind & Pak beaten in Int'L same day.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:53 pm

for any league to get success you need huge viewership. All these countries don’t have REAL paying cricket fans compared to other sports. forget stadium going people, TV viewership get you TV ad money and it’s the #1 source of income. no matter what you do, without TRP you are bound to fail.

solution: Take steps to make cricket popular.
dump test cricket completely. it’s losing money saved by other means.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:04 pm

bolero wrote:I dont think cricket will die either in India or Australia, both boards are quite sound, even though there maybe pay disputes. Not sure about finances of any of the other member country boards.

not cricket per se, but the local T20 leagues

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:06 pm

It beats me how CA can manage to make a loss on the Big Bash when crowds here in Adelaide regularly sell out 50,000 tickets.
I believe it rates pretty well too, but this is CA we're talking about.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Bank: Locked

Postby Paddles » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:03 am

Katto wrote:It beats me how CA can manage to make a loss on the Big Bash when crowds here in Adelaide regularly sell out 50,000 tickets.

Dumb dumb, the original tv deals for BBL were small. It was an unknown and untested product - tv wasn't going to pay big on an unknown. CA needed it on tv to grow interest and support for it, as well pay those managing and marketting it.

TV revenue pricing since has more than trippled in value - BBL looks set to be a nice earner for CA moving forward. Also may want to see the fiscal arrangement between franchise and CA on those ticket sale revenue. Plus - aren't the tickets reasonably priced? A fraction of intl matches?

Safrica expect losses for first 3 years of their league. Generating demand costs.

I think my interest in BBL has peaked BUT the BBL facilitated me to have much greater respect for t20 cricket.
If any moderator or administrator is able to add Going South to my foe list, I would greatly appreciate it.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:42 am

Paddles wrote:
Katto wrote:It beats me how CA can manage to make a loss on the Big Bash when crowds here in Adelaide regularly sell out 50,000 tickets.

noise

more noise
noise
noise noise noise noise

noise noise noise noisnoise noise noise noisnoise noise noise noisnoise noise noise noisnoise noise noise noisnoise noise noise nois
noise noise noise noisnoise noise noise noisnoise noise noise noisnoise noise noise nois

:bored:

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Bank: Locked

Postby Paddles » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:42 pm

Katto wrote:
Paddles wrote:
noise

more noise
noise
noise noise noise noise

noise noise noise noisnoise noise noise noisnoise noise noise noisnoise noise noise noisnoise noise noise noisnoise noise noise nois
noise noise noise noisnoise noise noise noisnoise noise noise noisnoise noise noise nois

:bored:

Ahahahahahaha Dumb dumb.
If any moderator or administrator is able to add Going South to my foe list, I would greatly appreciate it.