Racism hits Australian Cricket - Khawaja

This is the forum for discussion of all cricketing issues and news. Here you will find frank analysis and opinion on subjects ranging from selection policies, favourite cricketers and match post-mortems right through to dressing room and cricket board fiascos.
bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
Cash on hand: Locked
India

Postby bolero » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:00 am

SYDNEY. — Australia’s Usman Khawaja says being racially abused as young players has stopped many overseas-born cricketers from playing for the country. The 30-year-old, who was born in Pakistan, said such abuse culminated in him not supporting Australia teams. “Getting sledged by opposition players and their parents was the norm,” said Khawaja on the Players Voice website.

“Some of them said it just quietly enough for only me to hear. It still hurt, but I would never show it.”

Khawaja became the first Muslim to play Test cricket for Australia when he made his debut against England in 2011. He has scored 1 728 runs in 24 Tests, including five centuries.

“I was brought up to be respectful, humble and polite. But when I watched the Aussie team, I saw men who were hard-nosed, confident, almost brutish,” he continued.

“The same type of men who would sledge me about my heritage growing up. It is for this reason why so many of my friends, most of whom were born outside Australia, didn’t support Australia in sporting contests. I didn’t either.” He added: “My point is this: it’s no surprise it has taken Australia cricket so long for coloured players to come through the system.”

Khawaja, who was the only Asian at first-class level in Australia when he began playing for New South Wales, added that the situation has improved because “youngsters are given a bit more support to nurture and grow as players”. He said this is “paving the way for all cricketers from all ethnic, religious and socio-economic backgrounds”.

His article ended: “Australian cricket is slowly changing and will finally have a chance to reflect what Australia really is – an international team truly representative of its richly diverse population.”

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Re: Racism hits Australian Cricket - Khawaja

Postby bolero » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:00 am

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:06 am

Slightly controversial. When you are not good enough, you keep searching for excuses.

Maybe part truth also in what Khawaja says.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:12 am

In case of South Africa, I never liked their quota system. That one has to pick a black coloured or coloured cricketer over a white coloured cricketer who maybe a better player.

I am all in favour of diversity in teams and in case of South Africa too, the majority population should have atleast 2 - 3 places in the team (if not more) but strictly on merit.

Improve facilities and spread the game, dont play quota politics.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:19 am

I am a little sceptical of religious minded Pakistanis infiltrating other teams. Hope Khawaja is not that type.

Already we have so many bearded cricketers , who have kept it for religious reasons like Amla, Moeen Ali, Imran Tahir. Earlier Saeed Anwar and Mohammad Yousuf (Yousuf Youhana).

They even managed to convert Wayne Parnell (Waleed Parnell) who sported a beard.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:56 am

some cricket clubs in Australia are a little rough, but its no more socially acceptable here than anywhere else. Its still the minority.
Australian humour uses insults often as terms of endearment, it doesnt translate well internationally.
I suspect if a white kid grew up playing cricket in Pakistan he might have some more problems.

Khawaja seemed very easy going and moderate when he came into the team. He even wore the sponsor's logo. Now that's gone and these sorts of articles are coming out. I worry too that certain groups of got to him and exerting pressure to be more political as other's around the world have become (that you mentioned bolero)

(add the umpire Dar to that list)

...and the main group that I would be concerned with has the initials M.B.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:13 am

Look no further than Danish Kaneria who faced insults & asked to convert a lot when he played for pakistan. pot-kettle-black. it’s an open secret that muslims play victim card when in minority but try to impose sharia law in majority wherever they go. As katto said, Australian cricket is not for sissies, be a man and cope it, BTW, try to GREATFUL for the opportunity to play for that baggygreen cap.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:55 pm

Katto wrote:...and the main group that I would be concerned with has the initials M.B.

Which group is this?

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:16 am

raja wrote:
Katto wrote:...and the main group that I would be concerned with has the initials M.B.

Which group is this?

Hint. A quasi political group in the Middle East with sympathies for terrorists.