Ben Stokes arrested in Bristol

This is the forum for discussion of all cricketing issues and news. Here you will find frank analysis and opinion on subjects ranging from selection policies, favourite cricketers and match post-mortems right through to dressing room and cricket board fiascos.
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked

Re: Ben Stokes arrested in Bristol

Postby Paddles » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:27 pm

Stokes found not guilty, (despite not calling his gay friends as witnesses) - I rest my case.
Law 31.6 - benefit of the doubt for an dismissal appeal goes to the batsman
A third umpire call for a run out or stumping is a referral, not a review.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked

Re: Ben Stokes arrested in Bristol

Postby Paddles » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:40 pm

Am I remotely surprised at the verdict? No.

As a reasonable person, skilled in the law, there is no surprise to this verdict. The only remotely surprising thing was not calling the favorable gay witnesses (which is possibly due to reliability of testimony).

Did Ben Stokes fear that two guys, one of whom attacked his mate with a bottle, and the other who ran off and got a metal bar then returned to the battle scene, would continue to attack to him or his friends? Subjectively on a reasonable standard?

If yes - that meets the requirements for self defence :)

Called it as the biggest surprise of the English summer in one cricket forum (but it really isn't for me), as well as predicting an England thrashing of India in tests and now I have to hit Australian fans righteousness of defending David Warner vs Ben Stokes on another sports forum (cricket sub forum) - as only one is not guilty :)
Law 31.6 - benefit of the doubt for an dismissal appeal goes to the batsman
A third umpire call for a run out or stumping is a referral, not a review.