Ben Stokes arrested in Bristol

This is the forum for discussion of all cricketing issues and news. Here you will find frank analysis and opinion on subjects ranging from selection policies, favourite cricketers and match post-mortems right through to dressing room and cricket board fiascos.
Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
United Kingdom

Ben Stokes arrested in Bristol

Postby Boycs » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:41 pm

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... l-incident

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41399632

"Stokes was arrested in the early hours of Monday morning, 25 September, following an incident in Bristol. He was held overnight and released under investigation - without charge - late on Monday and will not join the team in London.

"Hales, who was with Stokes on Sunday night, did not train this morning and has returned voluntarily to Bristol today to help police with their enquiries."

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Re: Ben Stokes arrested in Bristol

Postby Boycs » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:34 pm

Arrested for assault occasioning actual bodily harm apparently, and released under investigation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_o ... odily_harm

http://www.davidgray.co.uk/2017/07/rele ... stigation/

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:04 am

Whats David Warner doing in Bristol :lmao:
Sounds like Stokes may be in trouble for the Ashes.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:09 am

200 years earlier and Stokes would've been welcomed into Australia.
He may have some visa issues in 2017 though with this criminal record. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:14 pm

Guard your Australian cricket pitches properly at NIGHT so that no pissing incidents happen when the English team is in the town.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:57 pm

Stokes and Hales have now be told they are no longer going to be selected for England until further notice!!

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:56 pm

The ECB had no choice but to suspend both indefinitely pending the Police investigation. I'll be dissapointed if Stokes isn't in the Ashes squad, was looking forward to seeing him this Summer.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:53 am

He would have difficulty getting into the country anyway with a criminal record.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:17 am

What a load of BS :oops: :roll:

Stokes suspended despite reports he was defending gay men

by Julian GUYER
AFP / 5:29am AEST

England cricketer Ben Stokes suspended

Ben Stokes's Ashes hopes were in the balance after England suspended him from international matches "until further notice" after a video emerged apparently showing him fighting outside a nightclub.

Test vice-captain Stokes was included in England's Ashes squad announced Wednesday, despite reportedly injuring his hand in the incident that led to his arrest on suspicion of causing actual bodily harm.

The 26-year-old Durham all-rounder was released without charge on Monday but remains under investigation.

The Sun newspaper published the footage from outside a nightclub in the southwest city of Bristol late on Wednesday.

Opening batsman Alex Hales, who was with Stokes on Sunday after playing alongside him during a win over West Indies in the third one-day international in Bristol, has also been suspended from England international selection.

"Ben Stokes and Alex Hales will not be considered for selection for England international matches until further notice," said an England and Wales Cricket Board statement.

"Each remains on full pay pending further ECB investigation and the ongoing police investigation into an incident in Bristol in the early hours of Monday 25 September.

"Andrew Strauss, director of England cricket, will today refer the internal disciplinary procedure for these two players to the Cricket Discipline Commission, chaired by Tim O'Gorman."

The statement added: "These decisions, fully supported by ECB chairman Colin Graves, were made following the release of footage viewed by ECB for the first time on Wednesday night."

VIDEO Video has emerged of England cricket star Ben Stokes' street brawl that saw him end up with a suspected broken finger. Source: The Sun
English media personality had earlier tweeted that he heard from sources that Stokes had been defending 'two gay guys' who were being verbaly abused by the two other mwn in the video.

“I’m hearing that Ben Stokes intervened to help two gay guys who were being abused by yobs, one of whom was armed with a bottle” Morgan posted on Twitter.

“Stokes has told friends he was incensed by the homophobic taunts, then saw the bottle being raised and decided to defend himself. :roll:

“Stokes obviously regrets what happened, but apparently his view is: ‘They started it, I finished it. I was protecting those guys’.

“Police are aware of Stokes’ version of events and are now trying to find the two gay men to corroborate what he’s said. :lmao:

“Stokes has told friends: ‘The guy had a bottle in his hand and was threatening us. Was I supposed to wait until he smashed it in my face?

“People can obviously make up their own minds about the Stokes video, but his defence certainly raises new questions.”

Neither Hales, who returned voluntarily to Bristol on Tuesday to give further evidence to police about the incident, nor Stokes were selected for Wednesday's six-run win over West Indies in the fourth one-day international at The Oval that gave England an unbeatable 3-0 series lead.

Stokes's finger injury may well have meant he was physically unfit for selection in any case.

England have one more international fixture -- the fifth ODI against West Indies in Southampton on Friday -- before they are due to travel to Australia on October 28.

Dawid Malan has been added as cover to the squad for the Southampton match after Hales was ruled out.

Ashes-holders England's next international fixture will be the first Test against Australia in Brisbane commencing on November 23.

Hales, who last played Test cricket over a year ago, was not included in the Ashes squad.

Ben Stokes mocks disabled teen

VIDEO England cricket player Ben Stokes is in even more strife after video emerged of him mocking the 15-year-old disabled son of UK celebrity Katie Price. Source: Express
Meanwhile England coach Trevor Bayliss said Thursday that events of the past few days had been one of the toughest challenges of a career that saw the 54-year-old Australian caught up in a deadly 2009 terror attack on a team bus in Lahore while coaching Sri Lanka.

"It's right up -- it's probably in the top two (in my career), I would have thought," said Bayliss. "It's very difficult for everyone involved.

"It's something that obviously we didn't want to go through, and hope we don't go through again," added Bayliss, who had previously spoken of his disappointment that Stokes had been out as late as 2:35 am (0135 GMT), when police were called to the incident, while defending the decision to retain the "cricket leader" as vice-captain of the Test side.

Stokes, potentially just one on-field offence away from a Test ban under the International Cricket Council's code of conduct, is seen as vital to England's chances of retaining the Ashes, with former England captain Michael Vaughan, saying: "I don't think England can win in Australia without Ben Stokes."

This is not the first time Stokes has been involved in a controversial off-field incident.

In 2011 he was arrested and later cautioned for obstructing police on a pre-Christmas night out.

And in February 2013 he was sent home from an England A team tour of Australia for flouting rules on late-night drinking.

In June last year Stokes was fined after he was caught speeding for a fourth time and warned a further offence could lead to a prison sentence.

Stokes told The Times in an interview published on Saturday he enjoyed a couple of beers after stumps.

"We're grown men, go out for dinner, have a few pints," he said. "I'm 26, not 14. I don't have to drink Diet Cokes with dinner."

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/cricket/a/3 ... awl-video/

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:30 am

remind me of Flintoff. hmm

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:28 pm

Nothing will happen.
He'll be there to torment Australia for the Ashes.
I think this might actually spur him on even more.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:40 pm

Yeah I agree

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:19 am

raja wrote:Nothing will happen.

If this was a 1st offence i might agree but if he is charged the there is no way the ECB can overturn the indefinate ban they have already imposed.
The ECB have already tired their own hands in this case. If he is cleared by the police then the ban will be lifted if he is charged and faces criminal proceedings it would be unlikely he would get a visa to enter Australia.
We stopped taking British convicts in the 1860s by the way :lmao:

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:48 am

Mick180461 wrote:
raja wrote:Nothing will happen.

If this was a 1st offence i might agree but if he is charged the there is no way the ECB can overturn the indefinate ban they have already imposed.
The ECB have already tired their own hands in this case. If he is cleared by the police then the ban will be lifted if he is charged and faces criminal proceedings it would be unlikely he would get a visa to enter Australia.
We stopped taking British convicts in the 1860s by the way :lmao:

He's already had a caution for assault according to the news. Not really suitable to give him another for a similar offence so soon. So it will be charged or nothing.

if he was defending himself or someone else he question will be whether he went over the top of what common law says is proportionate force on the circumstances.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:35 pm

I would rather see England play Foakes than keep persisting with Malan.

Bhumin
CF Regular
CF Regular
Andorra

Postby Bhumin » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:21 am

Boycs wrote:I would rather see England play Foakes than keep persisting with Malan.

England DO Not wants Two keeper in test cricket.MALAN will play in all test.
NZ batted 27 overs for their 26 (WR in Tests) all out in 1955

Verity
CF Champion
CF Champion

Postby Verity » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:05 am

apparently it was a afghan veteran, just getting worse for the silly dickhead
Go to Live Games Forum to take part in "I hold a gun to your head" Games.

Verity
CF Champion
CF Champion

Postby Verity » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:18 am

whats the one punch laws in England that knockout punch had the potential to kill the victim the way he fell and hit his head on the road, very lucky it didn't do serious damage.. in Australia your looking at 10+ years jail now for a punch that kills someone, whats it in England?
Last edited by Verity on Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bhumin
CF Regular
CF Regular
Andorra

Postby Bhumin » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:24 am

Indian newspaper says,"" Eng. might beaten in Ashes without Stokes.""
NZ batted 27 overs for their 26 (WR in Tests) all out in 1955

Verity
CF Champion
CF Champion

Postby Verity » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:29 am

Bhumin wrote:Indian newspaper says,"" Eng. might beaten in Ashes without Stokes.""

toothless bowling attack in Aussie conditions, past series Broad and Anderson has struggled to get a wicket in Australia, they need a decent 4th seamer to give them a spell imo.

If Stokes is out Australia win easy.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:21 am

Ian Chappell is saying the same thing - that, without Stokes, England will lose the Ashes.
I disagree.
England are a powerhouse, with or without Stokes.
The difference with or without him is whether it will be 5-0 or 4-0 for England.
They might not be able to win by an innings as often as they otherwise would.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:25 am

Verity wrote:whats the one punch laws in England that knockout punch had the potential to kill the victim the way he fell and hit his head on the road, very lucky it didn't do serious damage.. in Australia your looking at 10+ years jail now for a punch that kills someone, whats it in England?

Murder is life in prison. You can argue about intent etc however if there's a direct chain of causation between the punch and the death then the correct charge would be murder or involuntary manslaughter by unlawful act.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:52 am

Verity wrote:apparently it was a afghan veteran, just getting worse for the silly dickhead

Yep. The "I was defending gays defense" seems like a desperate attempt to use politics to curry favour.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:10 am

England have said that if he is still under investigation by the time the Ashes plane leaves for down under, then he won't be on it.

Verity
CF Champion
CF Champion

Postby Verity » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:55 am

Boycs wrote:England have said that if he is still under investigation by the time the Ashes plane leaves for down under, then he won't be on it.

police have said there in no rush to lay down charges, ECB are just wanting them to make the decision for them, if it was a lesser player they'd be banned already.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:17 am

If it's rushed through to hit the deadline no doubt people will cry favouritism to the privileged.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:41 am

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... e-contract

Stokes has been dropped by his kit sponsor now...

The announcement came shortly after Stokes had tweeted an apology for a separate incident, in which he apparently mocked the disabled son of British celebrity Katie Price, and with his involvement in the Ashes increasingly uncertain.

Really Stokes? :roll:

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:56 am

Boycs wrote:http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/20992556/ben-stokes-loses-new-balance-contract

Stokes has been dropped by his kit sponsor now...

The announcement came shortly after Stokes had tweeted an apology for a separate incident, in which he apparently mocked the disabled son of British celebrity Katie Price, and with his involvement in the Ashes increasingly uncertain.

Really Stokes? :roll:

LOL lefties accuse others of doing what they actually do :grin:

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:44 pm

I am a lefty and you can’t generalize all lefties. Stokes? come on.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:03 pm

Going South wrote:I am a lefty and you can’t generalize all lefties. Stokes? come on.

left handed?

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:25 pm

yes. i bat left. bowl left. write left. hold fork or spoon in left hand while eating. that’s lefty.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:54 pm

Do you veer left as you walk?

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:01 am

Going South wrote:I am a lefty and you can’t generalize all lefties. Stokes? come on.

Stokes is not Left Handed for starters, easiest way to tell if a Cricketer is Right or Left Handed is which arm do they bowl and throw with, not which way around they bat. Some players prefer the Strong hand at the top thats all. Broad, Ali and Anderson both bat Left handed but are Right handed people.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:15 am

LOL I was talking about politics :lol:

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:32 am

Boycs wrote:Do you veer left as you walk?

No. I do use left hand for HP does that count?

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:24 am

Mick180461 wrote:

Stokes is not Left Handed for starters, easiest way to tell if a Cricketer is Right or Left Handed is which arm do they bowl and throw with, not which way around they bat. Some players prefer the Strong hand at the top thats all. Broad, Ali and Anderson both bat Left handed but are Right handed people.

Not to mention those cleptomaniacs eh Chapelli?!
If any moderator or administrator is able to add Going South to my foe list, I would greatly appreciate it.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:32 am

Katto wrote:LOL I was talking about politics :lol:

that i think i am a conservative right winger [whiner?]

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:26 am

The Sub reports that two people have now come forward to say that Stokes was defending them from a homophobic attack

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:16 am

Boycs wrote:The Sub reports that two people have now come forward to say that Stokes was defending them from a homophobic attack

playing political correctness games to get a lighter sentence for being a thug doesnt wash

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:24 am

Boycs wrote:The Sub reports that two people have now come forward to say that Stokes was defending them from a homophobic attack

Read it - at law it changes little (bar self defence includes defending another person), but may make Stokes very popular in the gay community.

Jurisdictions with hate crimes legislation (like some USA states) are going to have future questions of law if Stokes is found guilty based on these facts, similar incidents occur and more haters suffer for expressing their hate.

Thinking of white people physically attacking neo nazis for saying racist things to coloured people. Put simply, is crime from hating a typical hater itself a hate crime?
If any moderator or administrator is able to add Going South to my foe list, I would greatly appreciate it.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:37 am

Stokes resembles Flintoff in some ways.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:45 am

Going South wrote:yes. i bat left. bowl left. write left. hold fork or spoon in left hand while eating. that’s lefty.

I am ambidextrous. Left arm fast medium, right hand bat.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:58 am

bolero wrote:
Going South wrote:yes. i bat left. bowl left. write left. hold fork or spoon in left hand while eating. that’s lefty.

Do you write left handed tho?

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:07 am

Paddles wrote:
bolero wrote:

Do you write left handed tho?

No right handed. But throwing arm is left.

Badminton - Can play both left and right handed.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:55 pm

Okay - I was going to say batting side is not good evidence of ambidexterity, but writing certainly is. Tho
I have heard of left handed kids being forced to learn to write right handed as left hand writing is far more like to smudge wet ink.

Do you have a stronger foot to kick a football with? Is it your left also?

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:09 pm

Not to mention left handedness’ association with evil!

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:20 pm

Boycs wrote:Not to mention left handedness’ association with evil!

:lolup:

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:42 am

Boycs wrote:Not to mention left handedness’ association with evil!

:popcorn:

Based on that I am both good and evil. Split personality.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:44 am

Paddles wrote:Okay - I was going to say batting side is not good evidence of ambidexterity, but writing certainly is. Tho
I have heard of left handed kids being forced to learn to write right handed as left hand writing is far more like to smudge wet ink.

Do you have a stronger foot to kick a football with? Is it your left also?

I am good with both foot. Football runs in my genes as both father and grandfather were good footballers.

Stronger urge is to kick with right, but comfortable with left as well.