captain faf

This is the forum for discussion of all cricketing issues and news. Here you will find frank analysis and opinion on subjects ranging from selection policies, favourite cricketers and match post-mortems right through to dressing room and cricket board fiascos.
Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Cash on hand: Locked
United States of America

captain faf

Postby Going South » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:30 pm

good luck captain.
AB would be more concentrating on batting & keeping.
good call ??

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Re: captain faf

Postby Katto » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:59 am

I thought he was already captain in England :?

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:07 am

Faf's team-mates seem to rate him highly as a captain.
That's good enough for me.

I don't think ABDV cares too much about the captaincy, unless the captain makes much more money than the rest of the side.
ABDV seems to be going the Gayle way- mercenary thinking.
Nothing wrong with it per se - everyone needs to take care of his own life & future.

All this, "playing for the country is a badge of honour" thing is nice, if you haven't done it yet.
When you've already played so much for your country, what does an extra series here or there matter?

I remember Gavaskar during the Packer era.

Packer had a very bad image in world cricket at the time - those who joined were seen as ditching their country, for more money.

Gavaskar, being one of the top 3 batsmen in the world at the time (alongwith Viv Richards and Greg Chappell) was naturally approached.

He refused, saying "I care more about playing for my country".

He got a lot of appreciation from Indians at that time, for this stand. Mind you, in those days, cricketers used to be paid pathetic amounts. They got about Rs500 per day (USD8 per day - yes, EIGHT). If they finished the match in 4 days, they didn't get paid for the 5th day, so they used to try to force it into the fifth day. Bedi fought a lot with the Board for more money for the players, and I think managed to get it raised to about 3 times this, I think. (Bedi was the eternal rebel against the Board, they hated his guts. But he always fought for the team as a whole, not just for himself).

Of course, things have changed a lot since then.

Today, if a top player chooses IPL over his country, hardly any eyebrows will be raised.

Chasing money is seen as normal today, was looked down upon in those days.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:12 am

Even Sobers was criticized for preferring to play county cricket (for the money) compared to playing for the West Indies.
He had to be persuaded to play for the West Indies instead of his county (Notts).
Finally it's upto each person.

Sorry, am hijacking this thread - it started off as being about Faf. :-)

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Bank: Locked

Postby Paddles » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:05 am

QdK would have to get injured or seriously lose form for ABDV to take the gloves again anytime soon.

ABDV is not quite like Gayle in my opinion ,* more like G Chappel in his career twilight. He will pick and choose series to play in all formats that meet his young family and business (IPL) schedule. Looks keen to play at home for Safrica more than tour - quite likely to miss England or West Indian tours that overlap with IPL. By giving up odi captaincy - he has more freedom to not meet these tours.The new SA T20 starting this summer (south of the equator) may generate more income for Safrican cricketers which helps as well.

I have no issues with that if it keeps the best players outside the 'big 3' cricket high salaried nations in the world game longer.

* Although Gayle has since said he would like to do or have done things this way.
If any moderator or administrator is able to add Going South to my foe list, I would greatly appreciate it.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:51 am

raja wrote:Even Sobers was criticized for preferring to play county cricket (for the money) compared to playing for the West Indies.
He had to be persuaded to play for the West Indies instead of his county (Notts).
Finally it's upto each person.

Sorry, am hijacking this thread - it started off as being about Faf. :-)

Shakib al Hasan going in the mercenary direction too on that front

cant blame them for trying to make a living I guess and set up their future, particularly if you're from a poor country and South Africa isnt flushed with cash either

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:10 pm

I guess I'm just pissed off with ABDV for not touring England with the others.
Of course he's fully entitled to pick his matches, but his absence hurt SA and allowed England to win the series.
With AB in there, who knows?
But yes, I do respect that it is his call - I only wish he'd chosen to stay away against any team other than England. :-)

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:34 pm

may be he got genuine reasons (family? health?) he is no quitter.