james matrix anderson milestone 500

This is the forum for discussion of all cricketing issues and news. Here you will find frank analysis and opinion on subjects ranging from selection policies, favourite cricketers and match post-mortems right through to dressing room and cricket board fiascos.
Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Cash on hand: Locked
United States of America

james matrix anderson milestone 500

Postby Going South » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:10 am

129 Test
500 Wickets
23 5W Haul
James Anderson Becomes 1st Ever Englishman, 6th Overall To Take 500 Test Wickets.
salute !!!

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Re: james matrix anderson milestone 500

Postby raja » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:08 am

It's a testimony to his skill AND longevity. considering he started about 14 years ago.
I still remember a very young Anderson in 2003. He was much talked about then as an emerging star, but I doubt many would have put their money on his getting 500 Test wickets in his career then.

I seem to remember him being injury-prone in his career early on. All the more credit to him to then still be around, with 500 to his name.

Some years ago (I think when he got to 200 or 300), we had a thread on him here on CF, discussing how far he could go. Some said he could even get to 500 - many of us (myself also included) were sceptical then. At that time he wasn't very effective outside England, so the scepticism was probably warranted. But then he just went to a different level altogether, picking up wickets regularly - and not just in England.

Bowling to BCCI batsmen might have helped a bit too. :-)

Anyway, although I'm usually in denial over anything English cricketers achieve, I must rise today above my petty self and congratulate Jimmy.

He's just 35, so does 600 beckon? Will put him in a rarified space as the only fast bowler to get there.

But even 564 would do that. Would give him bragging rights over England's nemesis, Glenn McGrath.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:10 am

And to think when I started following cricket, there was only one bowler who had 300 to his name.
That was Fred Trueman, with 307 wickets.

When Gibbs huffed and puffed his way to overtake Freddie, the Yorkshireman was not amused. :-)

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
Bank: Locked
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:50 am

FIVE YEARS between his debut where he took five wickets and his return in 2008 after which he was a regular.

I know he had one or two outings in between that were unsuccessful, but that was because idiots and fools spent their time messing with his action.

His action now is the same as it was in 2003.

Imagine how many more wickets he would have had with five years more test cricket in him. 700? Unbelievable.

He is the poster boy for English swing bowling but he is also the poster boy for idiotic over-coaching and moronic management.

Makes me angry

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:03 am

This may be so Boycs but you omit a few details.

Firstly - he took a long time to mature and bowl in the channel at length instead of pitching up and trying to produce Akram like jaffas known as "magic balls" that were invariably smashed to the boundary. This drastically reduced his average to now high 20s and made him more successful. This change in bowling strategy occurs about 2010.

Also, when Harmison was at his peak, he was England's ace. S Jones albeit ruined by injury, was hugely promising. That leaves a young immature Jimmy competing with Hoggard at best for a spot in the team as Freddie was a lock in for the older ball and all rounder. Sidebottom is in the mix somewhere as well.

Jones is the one that got away. Do England even win 2005 Ashes without him? Hopefully Pattinson does not join this club.
Last edited by Paddles on Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Law 31.6 - benefit of the doubt for an dismissal appeal goes to the batsman
A third umpire call for a run out or stumping is a referral, not a review.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:22 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tomfordyce/2012/05/how_jimmy_anderson_became_engl.html

In a recent interview he says he and Broad are trying to get Stokes to stop trying for (Akram type) "magic balls" as well.
Law 31.6 - benefit of the doubt for an dismissal appeal goes to the batsman
A third umpire call for a run out or stumping is a referral, not a review.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:19 pm

Paddles wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tomfordyce/2012/05/how_jimmy_anderson_became_engl.html

In a recent interview he says he and Broad are trying to get Stokes to stop trying for (Akram type) "magic balls" as well.

I think Otis has been trying this too, as per Stokes guestures to him on the England blalcony at the taking of his sixth wicket

squarecut
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby squarecut » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:39 am

Indeed when Raja and I started following cricket, 307 was the highest tally of wickets taken by anyone. How things have changed by now ! 307 is now considered common ! Now 29 bowlers have taken more wickets than that. Most of them were not even born when Trueman set his record of 307 test wickets.

Just as test cricket is a test of one's skills, endurance, patience, mental strength over five days, taking 500 wickets proves that the bowler has what it takes to be consistently fit, capable, motivated and good enough to perform at the highest level. There have been many who burnt bright for a while only to fall by the wayside, but there are very few who can reach the finish line of marathon race. There are many immatute fans who refuse to regard Anderson as an alltime great looking at his record and bowling average etc. But make no mistake. There has to be a reason why Anderson has reached 500 test wickets while lots and lots of "greater" bowlers have not. Kudos to Anderson for being so consistent for so long.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:44 pm

Frequency of international cricket has had such a huge role. I bet trueman has over 1000 FC wickets but none of the international bowlers around today will reach than kind of landmark give the substantial proportional of internationals in their calendar and the great reduction overall in the three/four/five day games like the county championship