BAGGY GREEN: The Many Faces Of Australian Cricket

This is the forum for discussion of all cricketing issues and news. Here you will find frank analysis and opinion on subjects ranging from selection policies, favourite cricketers and match post-mortems right through to dressing room and cricket board fiascos.
baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Cash on hand: Locked
Australia

BAGGY GREEN: The Many Faces Of Australian Cricket

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon May 15, 2017 2:14 am

I have decided to start a thread for all Australian cricket. This is apposed to separate threads for various versions of our great game that previously existed on the other site. I may transfer some of those stories here as well as compose, along with good mate and fellow member Mick (and any other Aussie) eveything about Australian cricket. There is plenty about which to talk.. from the Champions Trophy ODI tournament next month to the short test tour of Bangladesh in August plus the peace de resistance.. the much awaited battle against the old enemy England in November on our fair shores.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Tue May 16, 2017 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Re: BAGGY GREEN: The Many Faces Of Australian Cricket

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon May 15, 2017 5:07 am

Boycs wrote:
Strike talk from Australian team?

Australian cricketers could strike over contract dispute
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/39912591

Yeh. A bit of a worry. Could the Aussies be going into the Ashes without their strongest side?
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Mon May 15, 2017 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon May 15, 2017 5:08 am

Last edited by baggygreenmania on Tue May 16, 2017 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon May 15, 2017 7:31 am

CA has announced dates for the Winter Australia A tour of South Africa.

Four-day matches

12 July – 15 July: Australia A v South Africa A at Tukkies

19 July – 22 July: Australia A v South Africa A at Senwes Park

One-day tri-series

26 July: Australia A v India A at Tukkies

30 July: Australia A v South Africa A at Groenkloof

1 August: Australia A v India A at Tukkies

5 August: Australia A v South Africa A at Tukkies

8 August: Tri Series Final at Tukkies

Former Test stars Jason Gillespie, Brad Haddin and Chris Rogers will share coaching duties.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon May 15, 2017 7:32 am

It is now official Australia will take a touring squad to Bangladesh in August.
http://www.cricket.com.au/news/australi ... ember/2017

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
Bank: Locked
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Mon May 15, 2017 3:34 pm

baggygreenmania wrote:Boycs wrote:

Yeh. A bit of a worry. Could the Aussies be going into the Ashes without their strongest side?

Would be a damn shame :P

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Tue May 16, 2017 3:54 am

Boycs wrote:

Sure would Boycs. Our top 20 contracted cricketers pocket over $1 million and still they are wingeing. Luckily Aussie cricket is strong with great depth at the moment so should the top liners pull out of the Ashes there are worthy replacements.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Tue May 16, 2017 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Tue May 16, 2017 4:34 am

Is anyone aware that just after the Champions Trophy the Womens World Cup 2017 is being played? http://www.cricket.com.au/news/southern ... 2017-05-15

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/womens-c ... 2017-05-04

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Tue May 16, 2017 10:58 am

baggygreenmania wrote:
Boycs wrote:

Sure would Boycs. Our top 20 contracted cricketers pocket over $1 million and still they are wingeing. Luckily Aussie cricket is strong with great depth at the moment so should the top liners pull out of the Ashes there are worthy replacements.

I'm just watching the Back Page. Isn't the issue that the intl players would strike for all the domestic FC player's interests? Isn't that who the player's assoc is going into bat for? We all know the CA top 20 is very well paid. This is what Rob Craddock led me to believe.
If any moderator or administrator is able to add Going South to my foe list, I would greatly appreciate it.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Wed May 17, 2017 3:33 am

In a nutshell as I read it the issue is over whether the players continue to be paid a salary plus a percentage of revenue (the current) or by salary alone as CA now wants it. Could be a case of both sides being a little greedy. The domestic players used to be paid a pittance now they earn..with BBL contracts.. a healthy pay packet. Like the new thread Paddles? A good I idea by you Kiwi cuzz.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Wed May 17, 2017 3:43 am

The full list of CA Contracted players for 2017/18.

Agar, Bird, Cartwright, Cummins, Finch, Handscomb, Hazlewood, Head, Khawaja, Lyon, M Marsh, Maxwell, Pattinson, Renshaw, Smith, Stanlake, Starc, Wade, Warner, Zampa.

Postby baggygreenmania » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:34 am
Some omission shocks Mick and a few new boys like Hilton Cartwright.. :o The most glaring omissions are Peter Nevill and SOKeefe. Looks like the career of Pete Siddle is all but over. Maxwell's lack of previous form and his misdemeanors have evidently been forgiven. Still to prove he has the consistency for this level.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Wed May 17, 2017 3:49 am

baggygreenmania wrote:In a nutshell as I read it the issue is over whether the players continue to be paid a salary plus a percentage of revenue (the current) or by salary alone as CA now wants it. Could be a case of both sides being a little greedy. The domestic players used to be paid a pittance now they earn..with BBL contracts.. a healthy pay packet. Like the new thread Paddles? A good I idea by you Kiwi cuzz.

I havn't found a satisfactory article explaining the technicalities of the issues as yet.

What I believe it is so far; 20% of ALL revenue goes to the players. I believe, and this could be wrong, that this goes to both domestic and international players. So the CA sign the top 20, and gives residual money from the 20% to the 6 team states (I don't know how the academy 50 over side works). All this is at agreed rates. I have no found no article expressing this precisely though so it could be wrong.

BBL contracts are small, very small compared to the revenue generated and to the domestic state contracts, but these contracts are typically a boost on the player's state contracts and the BBL is a small component of the season dominated by Sheffield Shield. Its a very nice bonus. There are a few anamolous players who are pulled from grade cricket to play BBL, but for them, being paid to play on the higher stage, at tens of thousands of dollars, is a nice Christmas hamper.

Now I do understand why the fight is on. The articles have made it clear that the BBL is generating a lot of dollars. And when the percentages were set 20 years ago, to look after then state cricketers like Darren Lehmann, there was no BBL anticipated. Now the revenues are much much greater, and Cricket Australia is worried about paying the top international (and possibly domestic) players too much. So it wants to set salaries itself, increased on prior years, but not based on a percentage. This will hurt both the intl contracted players and the state players.

Now I havn't found confirmation or details of payments to players bar the 20% of revenue, nor whether this includes both intl and domestic players.

If you find a good article, please post a link.

Yes, very good thread. Well done.
If any moderator or administrator is able to add Going South to my foe list, I would greatly appreciate it.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Wed May 17, 2017 5:09 am

Yeh the CA "cash cow" BBL is at the crux of the problem.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Wed May 17, 2017 9:20 am

baggygreenmania wrote:Yeh the CA "cash cow" BBL is at the crux of the problem.

Which makes the distribution between domestic bbl participants and the CA top 20 on test and odi duty during BBL quite interesting. Suddenly domestic players are generating their own revenue and its not all trickling down from intl.

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Wed May 17, 2017 1:27 pm

Boycs wrote:

There will be no side, it's CA v ACA, not the top 20 only, all contracted players in Australia are members of the ACA, it will be all 100+ contracted players from the Australian squad, state squads and probably the Women as well. There will be no FC Cricket in Australia until this is sorted.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Fri May 19, 2017 12:00 am

Uncapped fast bowlers Sarah Aley and Belinda Vakarewa are in line to make their international debuts on the biggest stage after being named in Australia's final 15-player squad for next month's Women's World Cup.

Aley, 32, was part of Australia's T20 squad that hosted New Zealand in February but her services were not called upon during that three-game series, while fellow right-armer Vakarewa - who only made her state debut last October - has earned her maiden call-up at the age of just 19 after a strong domestic summer, while she also toured Sri Lanka with the Australia A team in April.

Southern Stars World Cup squad: Sarah Aley, Kristen Beams, Alex Blackwell (vc), Nicole Bolton, Ashleigh Gardner, Rachael Haynes, Alyssa Healy, Jess Jonassen, Meg Lanning (c), Beth Mooney, Ellyse Perry, Megan Schutt, Belinda Vakarewa, Elyse Villani, Amanda-Jade Wellington.

This will also be the first WC for exciting 19 year old leg spinning prospect Amanda Jade-Wellington,who Adam Gilchrist has described as a female Shane Warne in the making. The most glaring omission is Holly Ferling who like her male counterpart Pat Cummins has missed so much cricket over recent years with injury. The word is she is not quite over her latest appointment with the surgeon.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Fri May 19, 2017 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Fri May 19, 2017 12:39 am

Okay - it appears what I suspected is correct and the revenue sharing is for both intl and domestic. In fact Smith, Starc and Warner have reportedly been offered more than the sharing model, but declined as they want the sharing model retained which benefits the domestic players more (at this stage but also keeps intl salaries heading up).

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Fri May 19, 2017 1:52 am

Yeh. Ed Cowan, who you will know, said this morning that the current pay standoff was not about money. He said it was about where the best in Australian cricket stood...about the status of our top cricketers. He questions whether out best willow wielders are an integral part of our greatest sport or merely employees of an organisation.

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Fri May 19, 2017 9:54 pm

The Australian A sides are out for the tours of RSA.
4 day team
Usman Khawaja (c) Glenn Maxwell (vc) Ashton Agar,Cam Bancroft, Jason Behrendorf, Jackson Bird, Alex Carey(k) Hilton Cartwright, Travis Head, Kurtis Patterson, Chad Sayers, Mitchell Swepson, Chris Tremain, Jack Wildermuth.

1 day team
Travis Head(C), Ashton Agar, Jason Behrendorf, Scott Boland, Carey, Hilton Cartwright, Sam Heazlet, Daniel Hughes, Kane Richardson, Marcus Stoinis, Mitchell Swepson, Chris Tremain, Jack Wildermuth.

The 4 day team is a particularly strong team with 5 players from the recent India team included. Alex Carey is probably now the number 2 Keeper in Australia after an outstanding 16-17 season, he and Daniel Hughes are probably the biggest movers this season, would not have either as a A list tourist 6 months ago. Looks like Usman Khawaja is being looked at as a possible alternative captain to Steve Smith, if things went bad with Smiths captaincy.
Last edited by Mick180461 on Wed May 24, 2017 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:01 pm

baggygreenmania wrote:Yeh. Ed Cowan, who you will know, said this morning that the current pay standoff was not about money. He said it was about where the best in Australian cricket stood...about the status of our top cricketers. He questions whether out best willow wielders are an integral part of our greatest sport or merely employees of an organisation.

They are not just employees they are co owners of that organization who are asking for a fair share of the dividend and to be treated as equals not just the dumb grunt who should shut up and do what there told.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat May 20, 2017 12:54 am

Mick it seems Cameron Bancroft has not been forgotten. Is a real talent. Will bounce back. Chadd Sayers is a well overdue selection.
How Boland still figures in calculations is a bit of a mystery. I picked Alex Carey for bigger things last year. Not sure he has leapfrogged Whiteman as the West Aussie gloveman has been out of cricket with a fairly serious injury.

Pleased to finally see Jason Behrendorff get some recognition. Just needs to stay fit and he will be putting pressure on Starc. Daniel Hughes should have been picked in the longer format as he is an accumulator of runs. As Hilton Cartwright is now one of the contracted men surely he figures in our top side now.

What about Travis Head as skipper of the one day component. That is a portent for his future Baggy Green captaincy claims if ever I saw one. :lol:

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat May 20, 2017 6:46 am

The latest from the Southern Stars camp as they prepare to take on the world in England later this month. A 19 year old Sydney youngster is about to live her dream.

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/feature/ ... 2017-05-19
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Sat May 20, 2017 7:25 am, edited 7 times in total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon May 22, 2017 2:37 am

Last edited by baggygreenmania on Mon May 22, 2017 4:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Mon May 22, 2017 3:40 am

baggygreenmania wrote:http://www.cricket.com.au/news/jason-behrendorff-australia-a-fast-bowler-south-africa-india-wickets/2017-05-21

Needs to be able to stay fit before he can start demanding a test spot. He is a talent but still breaking down at 26 is a worry.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon May 22, 2017 4:47 am

Yes. What is Starc's secret in avoiding back trouble that has plagued his peers. Is he due? There is also a good story about Kane Richardson and his great desire to wear the baggy green. At the same time he also realises he is just behind the present Big 4 and must bide his time and be ready when the call comes. I have always admired Richo's attitude and work ethic.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon May 22, 2017 4:56 am

Admin can we not post pics with text on CF?

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Tue May 23, 2017 1:56 am

This is good news for our next England Ashes tour.
http://www.cricket.com.au/news/feature/ ... 2017-05-20

This is a very telling point. CA take note and send more of our boys to England in the off season. :oops:
"But he noted it was the players who had experienced first-class cricket in the UK who adapted most readily to the introduction of the Dukes ball to Sheffield Shield, with four of the five leading runs scorers against the Dukes (Ed Cowan, Moises Henriques, George Bailey and Joe Burns) all having previously plied their trade on the England county circuit".

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Tue May 23, 2017 5:47 am

baggygreenmania wrote:Admin can we not post pics with text on CF?

What were you trying to post?

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Wed May 24, 2017 1:16 am

Mick180461 wrote:The Australian A sides are out for the tours of RSA.
4 day team
Khawaja (c) Maxwell (vc) Agar, Bancroft, Behrendorf, Bird, Carey(k) Cartwright, Head, Patterson, Sayers, Swepson, Tremain, Wildermuth.
1 day team
Head(), Agar Behrendorf, Boland, Carey, Cartwright, Heazlet, Hughes, Kane Richardson, Stoinis, Swepson, Tremain, Wildermuth.
The 4 day team is a particularly strong team with 5 players from the recent India team included. Alex Carey is probably now the number 2 Keeper in Australia after an outstanding 16-17 season, he and Daniel Hughes are probably the biggest movers this season, would not have either as a A list tourist 6 months ago. Looks like Usman Khawaja is being looked at as a possible alternative captain to Steve Smith, if things went bad with Smiths captaincy.

Looks Girbish, can you repost with better look.

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Wed May 24, 2017 1:20 am

baggygreenmania wrote:CA has announced dates for the Winter Australia A tour of South Africa.

Four-day matches

12 July – 15 July: Australia A v South Africa A at Tukkies

19 July – 22 July: Australia A v South Africa A at Senwes Park

One-day tri-series

26 July: Australia A v India A at Tukkies

30 July: Australia A v South Africa A at Groenkloof

1 August: Australia A v India A at Tukkies

5 August: Australia A v South Africa A at Tukkies

8 August: Tri Series Final at Tukkies

Former Test stars Jason Gillespie, Brad Haddin and Chris Rogers will share coaching duties.

I do not think BCCI announce team for India A yet
I wonder why other country not playing tri series just like PROTEAS/OZZIE and INDIA playing every year

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Wed May 24, 2017 2:16 am

Post deleted see below.
Last edited by Mick180461 on Wed May 24, 2017 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Wed May 24, 2017 2:18 am

Mick180461 wrote:The Australian A sides are out for the tours of RSA.
4 day team
Usman Khawaja (c) Glenn Maxwell (vc) Ashton Agar,Cam Bancroft, Jason Behrendorf, Jackson Bird, Alex Carey(k) Hilton Cartwright, Travis Head, Kurtis Patterson, Chad Sayers, Mitchell Swepson, Chris Tremain, Jack Wildermuth.

1 day team
Travis Head(C), Ashton Agar, Jason Behrendorf, Scott Boland, Carey, Hilton Cartwright, Sam Heazlet, Daniel Hughes, Kane Richardson, Marcus Stoinis, Mitchell Swepson, Chris Tremain, Jack Wildermuth.

Post tidied up. De-Girbished

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Wed May 24, 2017 4:16 am

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Wed May 24, 2017 4:39 am

Boycs wrote:
baggygreenmania wrote:Admin can we not post pics with text on CF?

What were you trying to post?

Tried cutting and posting a cricket pic. No dice.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Wed May 24, 2017 4:52 am

Link directly to the image with its URL within the [ img ] tags

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Thu May 25, 2017 11:58 pm

Boycs wrote:Link directly to the image with its URL within the [ img ] tags

I did still no dice. Not to worry.
Thanks for info.

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Fri May 26, 2017 4:41 am

baggygreenmania wrote:

Thanks for info.

Baggers shouldn't your Avatar be Glenn :lmao: McGrath

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Fri May 26, 2017 9:15 am

baggygreenmania wrote:

Thanks for info.

If you post what you're trying to do I might be able to edit it to make it work.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat May 27, 2017 4:13 am

NO mate DK is my boy hood hero. McGrath always comes second to him. I am merely comparing records old chap.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat May 27, 2017 4:15 am

baggygreenmania wrote:NO Mick DK is my boy hood hero. McGrath always comes second to him. I am merely comparing records old mate. By the way where is your avatar and who would you have?

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat May 27, 2017 4:39 am

A powerful ton by Aaron Finch and excellent finishing by Travis Head has sealed the baggies a good CT warm up overnite.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat May 27, 2017 11:46 pm

The ACA needs to wake up as look at the big picture behind CA's push for a new pay system for its elite cricketers.

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/james-su ... 2017-05-27

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon May 29, 2017 2:16 am

Australia's power hitters Aaron Finch and Chris Lynn will be smashing some car windows in the Edgbaston car park in tonites CT warm up game as one boundary measures a tiny 42 metres.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Tue May 30, 2017 12:36 pm

The stage is set for Lynnsanity to take over at an ICC event.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:54 am

Phil Jaques is returning home as the NSW batting coach after two years in the same position with QLD Cricket. Pro as the leftie is affectionately known had a Test career cut short by a crippling back injury. He averaged @44 with three centuries and 6 halves. He also scored in excess of 16,000 First Class runs at a healthy @48.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:34 am

Paddles wrote:The stage is set for Lynnsanity to take over at an ICC event.

Sure has been a long time coming. Looking forward to him creating some havoc. Is there a more powerful hitter of a cricket ball than Lynny.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:56 am

Not sure, he'd make most shortlists I think.

I'm hoping my Kiwi lads either get him cheap or that he doesn't play against them at all. Whats worse about Lynn as against Maxwell, is that when Lynn gets going, the top order often follow suit and its carnage (even for BBL flops Brisbane). But when Maxwell does it - there's often a "safe end".

Lynn just keeps it so simple, if full - ball is intended downtown, if short, ball is going square. No fuss, no bother. A bit like Guptill for NZ when he's motoring, but with more aggression if possible.

Will sleep much happier for Boult to bowl to Finch and not Lynn.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:24 pm

I will sleep much happier if Lynn was opening with Finch. Those two could do some serious damage even against the new balls. Lynn is an excitement machine he should be seen early where he can do the most damage not come in as a finisher. I want him as a devastating starter to dent the confidence of Southee and Boult.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:17 am

baggygreenmania wrote:I will sleep much happier if Lynn was opening with Finch. Those two could do some serious damage even against the new balls. Lynn is an excitement machine he should be seen early where he can do the most damage not come in as a finisher. I want him as a devastating starter to dent the confidence of Southee and Boult.

Warner and Lynn would worry me more.

If Finch wrecks the Kiwis - its not our day. If Lynn wrecks a team - its a nightmare.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:43 am

But conversely is lynn going to fail more frequently?