BAGGY GREEN: The Many Faces Of Australian Cricket

This is the forum for discussion of all cricketing issues and news. Here you will find frank analysis and opinion on subjects ranging from selection policies, favourite cricketers and match post-mortems right through to dressing room and cricket board fiascos.
MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Cash on hand: Locked
Australia

Re: BAGGY GREEN: The Many Faces Of Australian Cricket

Postby MikeR68 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:23 am

Where has Matt Short been hiding his all-round ability. This will bring his First class bowling average of 91 down, thanks to the England side. Can he get 5 for. As I watch this bowling performance, I can't help but wonder where these bowlers like Sandhu and Conway were when I was playing D grade in the local warehouse league. I could have been a superstar.
edit: I just worked out where they were.....playing in Sydney club cricket. (I couldn't help myself Baggers, sorry)

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:14 am

I have already posted that several times Mick. Was not aware he carried his bat for his Pom double tho.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:17 am

MikeR68 wrote:Where has Matt Short been hiding his all-round ability. This will bring his First class bowling average of 91 down, thanks to the England side. Can he get 5 for. As I watch this bowling performance, I can't help but wonder where these bowlers like Sandhu and Conway were when I was playing D grade in the local warehouse league. I could have been a superstar.
edit: I just worked out where they were.....playing in Sydney club cricket. (I couldn't help myself Baggers, sorry)
To be fair to those two Mike, Broad and Overton only took two wickets a piece.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:28 am

Had not heard of Bancroft - but if he's in the red-hot form you guys say he is in, happy to see him get a look-in. Hopefully he'll continue to show this form in Tests.

Didn't know about Renshaw's woeful first-class cricket scores this season. Like I said, I don't follow Aussie cricket that closely anymore. Like BGM says, he's too good a player not to return to the side sometime in the future. Still young - lots of years ahead of him.

This seems a bit like the BCCI situation right now. Shikhar Dhawan, KL Rahul and Murali Vijay fighting for the two opener spots. Not a bad problem to have.

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:31 am

baggygreenmania wrote:
MikeR68 wrote:Where has Matt Short been hiding his all-round ability. This will bring his First class bowling average of 91 down, thanks to the England side. Can he get 5 for. As I watch this bowling performance, I can't help but wonder where these bowlers like Sandhu and Conway were when I was playing D grade in the local warehouse league. I could have been a superstar.
To be fair to those two Mike, Broad and Overton only took two wickets a piece.

Bit hard to take more when Woakes took 6

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:57 am

Reckon Harry Conway has struggled since his National U19 days with stress injury and lack of FC opportunities. He was on the rookie list for two years when lesser bowlers were elevated ahead of him. I would like to see him play a full season instead of a handful of games. He will improve if that is the case. Sandhu I do not know what capsized his career. Another U19 rep. You do not get to play for your country without having some skill.

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:10 am

raja wrote:Had not heard of Bancroft - but if he's in the red-hot form you guys say he is in, happy to see him get a look-in. Hopefully he'll continue to show this form in Tests.

Didn't know about Renshaw's woeful first-class cricket scores this season. Like I said, I don't follow Aussie cricket that closely anymore. Like BGM says, he's too good a player not to return to the side sometime in the future. Still young - lots of years ahead of him.

This seems a bit like the BCCI situation right now. Shikhar Dhawan, KL Rahul and Murali Vijay fighting for the two opener spots. Not a bad problem to have.

There is another kid called Jake Weatherald who is just comming off twin 100s in the last Shield match who can really hit a Cricket ball. No shortage of promising young top order bats in Australia right now, middle order not so much.

Bancroft 630 runs@210.00 in his last 4 matches including scores of 206* & 228*.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:13 am

A solid opening by CAX1. Gibson getting some runs, Carder manages another 30ish start. Anyone ever told Gibson and Pucovski to drive a spinner you first have to get to the pitch.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:17 pm

baggygreenmania wrote:Reckon Harry Conway has struggled since his National U19 days with stress injury and lack of FC opportunities. He was on the rookie list for two years when lesser bowlers were elevated ahead of him. I would like to see him play a full season instead of a handful of games. He will improve if that is the case. Sandhu I do not know what capsized his career. Another U19 rep. You do not get to play for your country without having some skill.

I agree with you Harry Conway needs more FC games to develop he does look promising. Sandhu has been given plenty of opportunities including an Australian cap, and Australian overseas tours, and has never developed, yet still gets the opportunities. Time to close the book on him and send him back to Sydney Club Cricket, and give Conway the FC games.
Problem is Baggers, when you look at Fallins, Australia needs a quality leggie but he will languish in Future's League if lucky whilst Steve O’Keefe, Arjun Nair and the kiwi Sommerville are selected for NSW, or has to move interstate to get a game. Only Victoria would be the other region conducive to developing a spinner, and they don't need him. Fallins I don't believe has a NSW contract yet, does he?

When you look at the Future's League where he will end up, NSW are the easy beats in the comp, which makes the recent CAXI selections even more confusing. Larkins, Gibson, Sandhu, and Conway all play regularly in Futures League and basically are thumped by the reserve grades of other states. Sangha is the only one who you can argue may have potential to be examined in his selection for a development group in the CAXI. Last year if I recall NSW in future's League only won 1 game and finished 5th, yet over half the selections in CAXI are NSWmen and let's be honest Baggers apart from Fallins, who have been the worst performers in the CAXI....the NSW players.
Last year Qld met NSW in the final of the U17 championships. The national squad was selected only 1 Qlder made the side Matthew Willans. The Pathways Rookie Squad was also announced 20 NSWmen and only 6 Qlders. So what CA is saying is though you may represent your state you are not good enough to make the NSW reserves. Qld has made the final 3 years in a row and won the comp 2015/16.
Last year WA beat NSW in the U19 championships. Only Matthew Spoors was selected from WA for the Australian side, 8 NSW players were selected in that side. And those 8 NSW players were big headline players you never stop hearing about them Jason Sangha, Austin Waugh, Param Uppal, Ryan Hackney, Ryan Hadley, Iain Carlisle. They weren't good enough to stop WA from winning the comp, with their one name player.
Whilst this bias continues, and I know this from personal talks, Australia is losing potentially good players from other states who are leaving the sport to pursue other careers knowing that their dreams will never be fulfilled, and that is not good for Australian Cricket in the future. CA says they're putting more money into grass root development.....yeah right, that money is going to NSW cricket development, because it's their players receiving the contracts, nothing is coming up to Qld and there are quite a few disenchanted young players being by passed for players they've never even heard of or played against.

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:25 pm

James Sutherland -Victorian
Pat Howard- Queenslander
Darren Lehmann- South Australian/Queenslander
Trevor Hohns- Queenslander
Greg Chappell- South Australian/Queenslander
Graeme Hick- Zimbabwe/England
Ryan Harris- South Australian/Queenslander
Mark Waugh- New South Welshman
And yet some people think that these people are at the centre of a conspiracy to select players only from NSW.
GO FIGURE.
These are the CEO, Team performance Manager, Selectors and Coaches.
Geez Mark Waugh must be the only one involved in picking the sides

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:46 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_South ... ction_bias
It in Wikipedia Mick, as is your argument.
But please explain to me why there is such a discrepancy in selection after all these players are not setting the world on fire but seem to be consistently receiving the rewards from CA, such as development contracts CAXI selections etc. Sandhu has done what? Larkin has done what? Do you remember a player for Qld who scored 132 a couple of years ago in the final of the U17 nationals won by QLD by the name Nathan McSweeney, got nothing from CA (Nathan is currently playing U23 for Qld and scored his first century in his 2nd game, and was recently named in the Under 19 prelim WC squad). Remember Lauchlan Prince, of course you don't, nothing from CA. How about Mitchell Bunker? Nope nothing for him either. But you have heard of Ryan Hackney, Param Uppal, Jason Sangha, Austin Waugh I imagine, they're the ones that were defeated by QLD and scored the CA support. As I said players from other states are disillusioned and are leaving the game. When you know some of these kids and know what they and their families go through to try and get noticed, and let's be honest they are performing when it matters, only to be ignored it does piss you off when others don't perform as well but get the nod, there has to be a fairer way, for these young kids.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:10 am

:bow: Fellars we won an Ashes overnite. Nothing here on that. Jonassen's removal of England skipper Heather Knight started the rot before superstar Ellyse Perry shocked the Poms girls with the consecutive wickets of in form Beaumont and Brunt. Then Qlder Beth Mooney smoked a quick fire 86 to decimate the Poms. . :dance:

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:24 am

Australia is losing potentially good players from other states who are leaving the sport to pursue other careers knowing that their dreams will never be fulfilled, and that is not good for Australian Cricket in the future. Mike I find myself agreeing with you. I am not saying that all those players from my state do not deserved CAX1 or NPS callups. Most do. But I too would like to see a more equitable representation from all states for our Pathway rep sides. I can uderstand cries of biase coming from other states. CA needs to address this.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:34 am

The CAX1 kids are showing some grit against the Poms. Jason Sangha is finally showing his talents and with the in form Mat Short look like making the Poms bat again..barring a massive collapse.

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:55 am

baggygreenmania wrote::bow: Fellars we won an Ashes overnite. Nothing here on that. Jonassen's removal of England skipper Heather Knight started the rot before superstar Ellyse Perry shocked the Poms girls with the consecutive wickets of in form Beaumont and Brunt. Then Qlder Beth Mooney smoked a quick fire 86 to decimate the Poms. . :dance:

Mate so proud of the girls. Beth showed absolute perfect timing. Some of the shots clearing the boundary were perfect considering the ball isn't bowled at 140+, just all timing. Trying to watch Australia in the Rugby League at the same time was impossible, the girls held my attention, credit to them. But credit to the English girls especially the one who was mic'd up on field, seems a nice girl.

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:03 am

[quote="baggygreenmania"]The CAX1 kids are showing some grit against the Poms. Jason Sangha is finally showing his talents and with the in form Mat Short look like making the Poms bat again..barring a massive collapse.[/quote

England just going through the motions, they don't want any injuries now, that's why Crane is bowling so many overs, played for NSW didn't he? They've had their batting practice. But one thing is even with the bowling line up we presented the CAXI bowled them out for 500, there were no retired batsmen. IMO the current Australian bowlers with their extra pace and accuracy should make short work of their line up from what I've seen of England, but I'm not being cocky about it, just an observation.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:05 am

Mike I too was torn between the Roos and the Stars. The Roos won. Billy Slater is as good as he was a decade ago. Ok mate that is one Ashes won.. now for the real stuff. Sangha having the nervous nineties.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:38 am

IMO the current Australian bowlers with their extra pace and accuracy should make short work of their line up from what I've seen of England, but I'm not being cocky about it, just an observation. I am being cocky. We will make em wish they stayed in the Old Dart Mike.

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:45 am

Weather outlook for Brisbane for test. Possible rain 80% chance for all 5 days with heavy rain expected Friday and Monday of the test. If today is anything to go by there would probably be no play today. I always say to my wife, the test match is on so expect rain.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:50 am

What happened to "beautiful one day" .. you know the rest? Weatherzone shows cloudy Thurs, Friday with possible rain Sat. That is as far as the forecast goes.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:06 am

Mike a huge feather in the cap for Sangha and Short with tons against a touring side. What an occasion to get your first FC century . Loved the maturity Sangha showed as he reached the milestone. Put away the risky hook shot and waited for the put away ball. Short always looked in control. What is extra important for the future is both look competent players of spin,specially Sangha.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:33 am

baggygreenmania wrote:What happened to "beautiful one day" .. you know the rest? Weatherzone shows cloudy Thurs, Friday with possible rain Sat. That is as far as the forecast goes.

Most days it is, cricket on.... expect rain. Rain can be late thunderstorm and into the night which is most probable but it does appear to indicate overcast conditions. But today it's been drizzle and miserable all day, sort of like Sydney...miserable.
At least Short got his ton, they'll call it off soon.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:38 am

But today it's been drizzle and miserable all day, sort of like Sydney...miserable. Ever been to Sydney let alone lived here Mike? I like the look of Short. I did the first time I saw him in the youth nationals couple of years ago. He never seems to have an off day. Great attitude and looks to be a genuine all round option for the future.

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:59 am

Jason Sangha to make his Shield Debut next week Baggers? come in for Smith.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:05 am

Mick180461 wrote:Jason Sangha to make his Shield Debut next week Baggers? come in for Smith.
Well after this ton he will be full of confidence. Well done young man. Watch the Roos last nite mate. Sangha is the second youngest Australian behind Steve Smith to score a FC century.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:31 am

baggygreenmania wrote:
Mick180461 wrote:Jason Sangha to make his Shield Debut next week Baggers? come in for Smith.
Well after this ton he will be full of confidence. Well done young man. Watch the Roos last nite mate.

Keep forgetting the RLWC is on, to many 60-0 score lines to get me interested.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Bank: Locked

Postby Paddles » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:04 am

Mick180461 wrote:
baggygreenmania wrote: Well after this ton he will be full of confidence. Well done young man. Watch the Roos last nite mate.

Keep forgetting the RLWC is on, to many 60-0 score lines to get me interested.

Not sure what World Cup you've been watching. NZ just got trundled out by Tonga to lose the pool and then in the quarters by Fiji.

Tonga beat Lebanon by just 2 points.

All we need now is for PNG or Tonga to beat England.
Law 31.6 - benefit of the doubt for an dismissal appeal goes to the batsman
A third umpire call for a run out or stumping is a referral, not a review.

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:21 am

Paddles wrote:
Mick180461 wrote:Keep forgetting the RLWC is on, to many 60-0 score lines to get me interested.

Not sure what World Cup you've been watching. NZ just got trundled out by Tonga to lose the pool and then in the quarters by Fiji.

Yes i did have the awesome privilege of watching the last 20 mins of that magnificent win and NZs loss last week.

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:27 pm

Paddles wrote:
Mick180461 wrote:Keep forgetting the RLWC is on, to many 60-0 score lines to get me interested.

Up here in Brisbane, Paddles, I know a lot of ex-pat Kiwis who bought tickets to the semi-final at Suncorp expecting NZ to be playing, and with the Ashes on at the same time it was going to be like a home ground final for NZ. They'll probably support Fiji now, you know how the story goes, come to our country, take our dole, but won't support the local team. There's over 200,000 of them up here in Qld. Can you please take them back, we don't want them and our economy would thank you for it. Missed opportunity for NZ, but great game by Fiji. Expecting Australia V England final and with Wayne Bennet in charge of England could be an upset.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:18 am

baggygreenmania wrote:
Well after this ton he will be full of confidence. Well done young man. Sangha is in rarified air becoming the youngest cricketer ever behind the little master Tendulkar to hit a ton against England plus he is the seventh youngest Australian to score a FC century.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:26 am

MikeR68 wrote:
Paddles wrote:

Up here in Brisbane, Paddles, I know a lot of ex-pat Kiwis who bought tickets to the semi-final at Suncorp expecting NZ to be playing, and with the Ashes on at the same time it was going to be like a home ground final for NZ. They'll probably support Fiji now, you know how the story goes, come to our country, take our dole, but won't support the local team. There's over 200,000 of them up here in Qld. Can you please take them back, we don't want them and our economy would thank you for it. Missed opportunity for NZ, but great game by Fiji. Expecting Australia V England final and with Wayne Bennet in charge of England could be an upset.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-26/new-zealanders-living-in-australia-see-citizenship-rights-eroded/8644890

Currently, Kiwis in Australia:
Can live indefinitely in Australia
Receive no unemployment or sickness benefits, or disaster relief
Pay National Disabity Insurance (NDIS) levy but receive no access
Are ineligible for student loans
Are ineligible to vote
Are ineligible to work for the Australian Government or Defence Force
(Source: Australian Immigration)

On the bright side for you, NZ is no longer sending its convicts to Australia. Your post does make me wonder tho what the Aboriginals thought of the quality and send back value of migration to Australia as a penal colony?

Now do you really want to dispassionately and informatively discuss Antipodean "anti-NZ" migration politics and history with me, or should we keep the conversations to cricket (and rugby league)? Australia does have a very proud cricket (and rugby league) history afterall, underarm notwithstanding.

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:23 pm

Yes we were a penal Colony with all the monstrous bread Stealers and Rabbitt poachers that were sent here and thank Heavans all the real Crims, the totally corupt Judges, Lawyers,Pollies and Lords stayed in England. Do you know that most of the Convicts never went back, realised that even in 1800 Australia was a better place to live than Pommieland.
The average sentence for a "Convict" sent to Australia was 7 years for stealing a loaf of Bread to feed his starving Kids, or Poaching a Rabbitt on some Lords Land.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:57 pm

Mick180461 wrote:Yes we were a penal Colony with all the monstrous bread Stealers and Rabbitt poachers that were sent here and thank Heavans all the real Crims, the totally corupt Judges, Lawyers,Pollies and Lords stayed in England. Do you know that most of the Convicts never went back, realised that even in 1800 Australia was a better place to live than Pommieland.
The average sentence for a "Convict" sent to Australia was 7 years for stealing a loaf of Bread to feed his starving Kids, or Poaching a Rabbitt on some Lords Land.

I think most people are aware that most of the convicts never went back to England, NZ or wherever else they were sent from? That's the point I was making afterall. But thanks for clarifying that for anyone reading and not aware.

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:44 pm

When there's no cricket on I go fishing Paddles and it seems you took the bait. Thanks, it always a good start to the day when that happens, and I was missing your avatar.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:28 am

Enjoyed that little historical tete tete between Mike & Paddles. Now some more cricket fellars. But before that first this stop press. Anyone heard of the Jillaroos? Is anyone aware there is also a Womens Rugby League World Cup on at the moment? For the unitiated the Jillaroos are our female equivalent of the Australian Kangaroos. Well these amply built girls (amazons actually) are hammering all comers including the Poms yesterday (38-0) and are white hot favorites to take out the WC.

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:58 am

Great to see young Jake Doran breakthrough for his maiden FC 100 with the Tigers struggling he has put together a real fighting 100 to get his team into a respectable position.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:28 am

Glenn "no show" Maxwell showed up today taking the pathetic Blues attack to the cleaners. Time for some young blood selectors. Mitch Marsh has sent a message to the selectors that he means business now he has the reins of the Warriors. He made the Bulls attack look rather pedestrian with his powerful ton at the WACA today. A michelle by Jackson Bird has put the Tigers on top in their match against The Redbacks. The Tigers are 220 in front at stumps and well in charge of this game now.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:51 am

Blues scrap home with a lucky draw. Young quick Mathew Kelly denies the Bulls victory with his first FC five for. Tigers triumph over the valiant Redbacks. Callum Ferguson could be eying off a 1000 run season.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:44 am

A Michelle?

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:07 am

Boycs wrote:A Michelle?

Michelle is a bag of five wickets;

taken from Michelle Pfeiffer, the actress.

It appears to be an Australian attempt at cockney type rhyming slang of the term "five-for", but it hasn't really caught on elsewhere to the same degree.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:48 am

Yes Michelle is one of only two rhyming slang I use. The other is Reg Grundies for "undies". Paddles your boys feeling confident against the Windies tomorrow?

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:50 am

baggygreenmania wrote:Yes Michelle is one of only two rhyming slang I use. The other is Reg Grundies for "undies". Paddles your boys feeling confident against the Windies tomorrow?

Ought to be - losing to the Windies would see a dramatic decline in NZC standards.

Southee is out due to childbirth - but he has been the worst performer of our seamers for a while now. We have a truckload of new talent to trial here, so its not the worst timing all things considered.[edit] Except they're going to play Matt Henry instead of some new talent as announced tonight :(

I don't rate NZ's 5 to 7 batting, even more with Watling out injured - Windies bat deeper with Holder at 8. Gabriel and Roach are having a v good 2017, Hope and Braithwaite are in form with the bat - R Chase seems to be in form too after losing his way in England, but NZ really ought to beat these guys. Santner will fight at least with the bat, but Niccolls is pure spud so far in my opinion. Latham I am not convinced is best utilised as an opener.

If NZ lose and the batting collapses, I expect the cricket media will start a "Munro to play" campaign. Doesn't help any that bad boy Ryder is averaging 117 this summer when wickets have been cheap and plenty for even rather ordinary FC bowlers. But George Worker (FC average under 30) is the reserve bat and an opener - so if any tweaks this series suggest that Latham to bat down the order. We have good middle order bats not in the team - but clearly way short on reserve openers (under 38 and not prior intl failures which is presumably why Papps being overlooked).

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:33 am

The final Shield round before the long BBL break when team and player momentum comes to a sudden shuddering halt.
Ashton Agar finally returns for the Warriors today. May need him with the bat too as his team is in early trouble. The Blues v Tigers game is delayed by the Hobart weather. Good to see Cam The Big bear White back for the Bushies.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:44 am

Mitchell Marsh is making a strong case for a return to the Baggies sometime during the Ashes. He has compiled 333 runs @41 in the first four rounds of the Shield and is back bowling. Lehmann has mooted the need for a fourth paceman to avoid burnout over the five tests by our top pace trio. As Mick has pointed out Mitch was never sacked he was injured.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:39 am

Chris Tremain must be Australia's most improved bowler. After a rather lacklustre start to his FC career the Dubbo (NSW) born quick announced himself last season with 37w @24 and already this season has 20w @a touch under 20. He could walk into most test attacks in world cricket.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:31 am

The Blues are in a slump. Bowling has been pedestrian at best pathetic at worst. The batting not a whole lot better. Time for changes in personel selectors.

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:53 am

SOK O"Keefe has been fined again for dissent, disagreeing with an Umpires decision.
Good to see Jake Doran finally scoring Shield runs, following his 114 last week with 75 against the Blues.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:05 am

Mick, Miķe and Baggers - which BBL teams you support?

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:29 am

baggygreenmania wrote:The Blues are in a slump. Bowling has been pedestrian at best pathetic at worst. The batting not a whole lot better. Time for changes in personel selectors.

Without Smith the Blues in general are pathetic. David Warner only scored 180 runs @30 for NSW. 278 runs for Hughes from 9 innings and at the start of the season he was being touted as an Australian possibility. Then the jokes start.... Patterson 243 runs from 9 innings, last year an Australian possibility...LOL... You hear the one about Nic Maddinson, selected last year for Australia, 138 from 9 innings....OMG how did that happen...LOL,LOL and they gave him 3 tests to prove himself compared to the paltry 1 test others were given. How about the one about Henriques, has played 4 tests for Australia and still being thrown around as a potential all rounder....106 runs from 8 innings...OMG PMLOL. The jokes just never let up with the NSW side. But in all seriousness Baggers, they will score some runs later in the season and that is how the selectors pick them originally on the back of one or two performances and why they disappoint at test level, just no consistency. It makes you admire Smith more batting the way he does with so many riding his coat tails.

But the jokes don't stop there for NSW Baggers how about O'Keefe the "2nd in line spinner for Australia".... HUMILIATED last week by Holland and in Sydney. 1/77 from 16 overs against Tas. Just embarrassing for selectors if they continue their bias selection of him.

Maxwell going well at the moment a 96 after his 278, and done in quick time, must be border line for call up but at least he's keeping the pressure on S Marsh and Handscomb to keep performing.
But alas it appears the Renshaw is suffering 2nd year Blues.
However back to back centuries for Burns, 300 runs in his last 3 innings. Now that is something that should be noticed by selectors and the media, but alas born on the wrong side of the border, so it will go unnoticed. Just think if he was playing for the Blues the media would be all over it calling for his inclusion in the test team. As for all-rounders no mention yet for Jack Wildermuth so far 251 runs @32 and 14 wickets @ 24. Mitchell Marsh some say is back as a potential all-rounder, based on what I don't know, his whole 2 wickets @ 42. Marsh's batting is average at a modest 40 compared to Maxwell, but has Maxwell bowled this year?

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:35 am

Paddles wrote:Mick, Miķe and Baggers - which BBL teams you support?

Brisbane Heat if I was interested Paddles, and honestly I did give it my full attention last year but I honestly can't say I found it overly entertaining, though it was good to watch Lynn, Peirson and B McCullum throw the willow. But listening to M Waugh go on and on about his NSW sides is enough to turn the television off.