BAGGY GREEN: The Many Faces Of Australian Cricket

This is the forum for discussion of all cricketing issues and news. Here you will find frank analysis and opinion on subjects ranging from selection policies, favourite cricketers and match post-mortems right through to dressing room and cricket board fiascos.
baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Cash on hand: Locked
Australia

Re: BAGGY GREEN: The Many Faces Of Australian Cricket

Postby baggygreenmania » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:33 pm

I am not a fan of these Day/Night tests, Baggers. Advantage is to the team that wins the toss and bats, which is the only time a team has their quality batsmen playing for 2 sessions in daylight conditions, night falls so do the wickets.
Agree that once the artificial lite takes over wickets tumble. I hear what you are saying about winning toss and batting first. But is same for both sides isnt it? Take another look at Woakes snorter that finished Sangha. No walfting at wide balls.. got an unplayable. Woakes is an underated bowler and can also hold a bat. So why miss Stokes.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:39 pm

MikeR68 wrote:
baggygreenmania wrote:Baggers what is the problem with the SCG. Surely they don't need 3 months to prepare the pitch for the Ashes test.
Could not agree more Mike. The SCG is one of the premier cricket venues on the globe yet seems to be used less and less over recent years. The SCG Trust needs a rocket up the proverbial to ensure the ground is ready specially when our Test players are available for state matches.

Baggers this is CA destroying 1st class cricket. Look what they did for this round. Gabba test coming up and they schedule a home game for QLD, they can't use the Gabba, so they get shunted to an 2ndary field. Nice ground but it's not the Gabba. As an ex member of the QCC they charge ridiculous membership fees, and for what? 3 sheffield shield games and a test match and occassional ODI if lucky, but plenty of T20 games.
Remember how we all said about time when CA put prices down last year. Wow $30 to see a Test match. Where were these $30 tickets? My brother and I could not find anything under $60 and we had to bake in 33deg temps as there was nothing undercover for less than $100. I expect those with the $30 tickets had to sit on the ground or in the large screen room which was chocka when we went in there for lunch.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:38 am

speaking of which have you been following Ian Healy's son Tom. Following closely in his father's footsteps, good keeper and seems to have more ability with the bat than his father. Following his Underage performances for Australia.
A former U19 player who I also followed for a time Mike. Expected more from him since but not spotted him in any NPS or CAX1 teams. Pierson is another that has not kicked on from his 2012 U19 WC. Unlike Head and a couple of others. He never pushed Hartley in his last years as he can not string decent batting performances together. Looks a competent keeper.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:50 am

Mike have you been having trouble with the live stream?

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:33 am

:dance: Ellyse Perry take a bow. The highest score by an Australian women cricketer ever. The 7th only double century maker in the history of the womens game. She batted for a day and a half, faced 374 balls hit 26 4s 1 six. Anti climax when Perry was on 194 . She smoked an Ecclestone delivery to what looked like over the boundary rope and duly celebrated. Replays showed however that the ball bounced fractionally inside the rope. There was stunned silence by the sizeable North Sydney crowd.. A over or so later Perry brought lofty praise from former England captain Charlotte Edwards and Australian skipper Lisa Shalakar when she finally posted the double with a power laden drive past the bowler and the brilliant all rounder raised her bat for a second time. the Southern Stars are well and truly in the box seat to retain the Ashes with a 168 run lead and still tomorrow to play.

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:24 pm

baggygreenmania wrote:I am not a fan of these Day/Night tests, Baggers. Advantage is to the team that wins the toss and bats, which is the only time a team has their quality batsmen playing for 2 sessions in daylight conditions, night falls so do the wickets.
Agree that once the artificial lite takes over wickets tumble. I hear what you are saying about winning toss and batting first. But is same for both sides isnt it? Take another look at Woakes snorter that finished Sangha. No walfting at wide balls.. got an unplayable. Woakes is an underated bowler and can also hold a bat. So why miss Stokes.

Really Baggers. Woakes delivery to Sangha was waist high approximately 50 cm above the top of off. At least a foot outside off and Sangha I think was trying to drive (or shooing flies away), gets the edge and easy catch to Root. Unplayable? Leave it alone it goes straight through to the keeper, no danger to Sangha at all. You and I must be watching 2 different games. Unplayable...at least you started my day with a good laugh. I think you must be thinking of the Tim Paine wicket, that was unplayable, most batsmen would have had difficulty with that one.
But at least we're watching the same game with the Women's match. Great innings by Perry, that was joyful to watch. Great back up from Healy, McGrath and Jonassen. Now if we could find an all-rounder of that class in the men's we'd be unstoppable.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
Bank: Locked
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:48 pm

I wonder if the influence of a won toss may diminish as the day night format becomes more common and sides become more used to the ball and conditions. Tosses are at their most impactful when the conditions are playing the biggest role.

But that might be a long time coming. I imagine even fifty odd years later the toss is still having such a role in one day games when teams have better chasers in their line up etc

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:17 am

Unplayable...at least you started my day with a good laugh. I think you must be thinking of the Tim Paine wicket, that was unplayable, most batsmen would have had difficulty with that one. I took a look at the replay Mike.
Yes it was the Paine's dismissal I meant. Sangha should have left that. Surprised him a touch. The kid has just turned 18 so is as green as grass.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:33 am

Great theatre was the Perry double. Agree would be great if we had an all rounder in the men's game the class of her. I was lucky to see very much of Ellyse's marathon knock as I was having terrible trouble with the live stream. Did you Mike?

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:43 pm

baggygreenmania wrote:Unplayable...at least you started my day with a good laugh. I think you must be thinking of the Tim Paine wicket, that was unplayable, most batsmen would have had difficulty with that one. I took a look at the replay Mike.
Yes it was the Paine's dismissal I meant. Sangha should have left that. Surprised him a touch. The kid has just turned 18 so is as green as grass.

You may say that but why was he selected. Bit of media hype about him with no real scores to back it up (Please give me one decent score in the last year). All I read about him is that he is the youngest player to represent NSW, big deal, it means nothing, any state can select a young player, doesn't mean they will be successful. And in all honesty NSW have poor form in their selection policies, thus their poor performances with so many Australian reps. NSWman (see I'm not bias) Param Uppal had a magnificent U19 championship, sure he had a poor List A series for CAXI but has more talent IMO than Sangha who seems to get the media hype. Another one is WA Matthew Spoors. Qlder Max Bryant also put on a master-class against Sandhu, Bollinger, Abbott, Lyon (all Australian reps) in a list A game for CAXI scoring an 89 recently. Never heard a thing about them, just a blip on the radar. I'm surprised more hasn't been said about Will Sutherland who took 4/11 against NSW in his List A match against Hughes, Maddinson, Patterson, Gibson, Cowan, Nevill, Starc, Cummins, Abbot (that's a pretty good batting line up) and scored some significant runs in the U19's. William Bosisto was a surprise omission, he's been peeling off centuries regularly. Baggers, certain players get the hype in the media and more opportunities present themselves accordingly, that's the only reason I can think of for the selection of Sangha not to mention Larkin and Gibson as well. Now don't get me started on Sandhu, surely by now everyone sees he's doesn't have it, and other potential quality bowlers are not getting any opportunities as they keep shoving him forward. Does the name Joel Paris ring any bells, it's not like many bowlers have a 19 average at FC level, but can't get a run for WA with their quality bowling line up. Never hear much about him do we.
Last edited by MikeR68 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:59 pm

baggygreenmania wrote:Great theatre was the Perry double. Agree would be great if we had an all rounder in the men's game the class of her. I was lucky to see very much of Ellyse's marathon knock as I was having terrible trouble with the live stream. Did you Mike?

In all honesty, I have the games in the background so I am always hearing what is going on, with an occassional flick over for 10 or so minutes which does become extended, till I chastise myself and get back to what I'm supposed to be doing, so I haven't noticed any problems. But since you and Mick go on about the poor quality of Qld live streaming, I'll just say what do you expect from NSW.

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:23 pm

No hype for Joel Paris? He's had plenty and played for Australia too, unfortunately like so many of our young quicks he can't stay on the field.
It's fine to hype up any young player but there is plenty of hyped up 18yo out there who have not gone on to bigger things and just as many unhyped 18yo who have gone on to big things. The latest example of a young player being over hyped is Jake Doran, no one doubts his talent but he was lured to Tasmania at 18 and has gone backwards big time.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:13 am

MikeR68 wrote:
baggygreenmania wrote:Great theatre was the Perry double. Agree would be great if we had an all rounder in the men's game the class of her. I was lucky to see very much of Ellyse's marathon knock as I was having terrible trouble with the live stream. Did you Mike?

In all honesty, I have the games in the background so I am always hearing what is going on, with an occassional flick over for 10 or so minutes which does become extended, till I chastise myself and get back to what I'm supposed to be doing, so I haven't noticed any problems. But since you and Mick go on about the poor quality of Qld live streaming, I'll just say what do you expect from NSW.

I have not bagged Qld live streaming this year only past seasons when it and the WACA coverage was second rate. I am talking about the live stream for Eng v CAX1 and Women test matches.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:16 am

CA resting Hazlewood when they earlier said he would be playing this match. Blues attack.. an aging veteran in Bollinger, the metronomic Copeland and the overated Abbott who has played little FC cricket. Where is the blooding of youngsters like Henry Thornton or Mickey Edwards WA selectors have the correct idea. Look at the plethora of young quicks coming thru their system.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:23 am

What a catch by Nevill. Screamer!!! Reason he will be the keeper for the First Test. Mike I read somewhere Max Bryant was born in New South mate. Agree Param Uppal has performed better than Sangha and does not get anywhere near the same hype. Could be the kid is struggling with the enormous expectation.

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:49 am

baggygreenmania wrote:What a catch by Nevill. Screamer!!! Mike I read somewhere Max Bryant was born in New South mate. Agree Param Uppal has performed better than Sangha and does not get anywhere near the same hype. Could be the kid is struggling with the enormous expectation.

Don't know where he was born, but he's been at the Gold Coast since I first heard of him. He was also looked at by the Gold Coast Titans, bit of a Rugby League player as well.
You still don't have much regard for Dougie. Put up his stats you would swear you're looking at Hazlewood, and that's even with the last 3 years when his form has tapered off. The give away is that Dougie's T20 stats out perform Hazlewood's. Better stats than Starc and Cummins. I'll never understand why he was dropped, he must have peeved some-one off. give him another 20 wickets and he'll make the top 20 bowlers ever at Sheffield Shield.
Renshaw gone, would have been given not out with DRS, totally missed it.

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:53 am

Went down to AB field yesterday, Baggers, definitely good toss to lose, always was going to be a bit of life in it for the first 2 hours but should settle down to a good batting wicket later today, and tomorrow. Qld, just got keep the wickets intact.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:58 am

Tim Paine is back for the Tigers. Lost both openers already Mike. Copeland got Renners with a beauty. Copeland is such an under rated bowler. His lack of pace is reason he has not tasted loftier honors in my view.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:00 am

Bit harsh on Dougie. Huge heart the man has. Getting a bit long in the tooth now.. time for some young blood. But do the Blues have a young leftie in its ranks.

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:02 am

baggygreenmania wrote:Tim Paine is back for the Tigers. Lost both openers already Mike. Copeland got Renners with a beauty. Copeland is such an under rated bowler. His lack of pace is reason he has not tasted loftier honors in my view.

Copeland has always been a great bowler, another injury prone bowler.
Even the commentators are saying a controversial decision for Renshaw. When luck isn't going for you, nothing goes your way. He was looking more confident.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:06 am

MikeR68 wrote:
baggygreenmania wrote:Tim Paine is back for the Tigers. Lost both openers already Mike. Copeland got Renners with a beauty. Copeland is such an under rated bowler. His lack of pace is reason he has not tasted loftier honors in my view.

Copeland has always been a great bowler, another injury prone bowler.
Even the commentators are saying a controversial decision for Renshaw. When luck isn't going for you, nothing goes your way. He was looking more confident.
He was. If any doubt should be reviewed. Is it time to introduce the DRS to FC cricket?

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:11 am

Australia's national selection panel have foreshadowed they will stick with Hilton Cartwright at #6 for the First Ashes Test says former Test captain Ricky Ponting. So they should as he is the incumbent. He should be given at least the first two matches.

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:17 am

Baggers, this is where Smith's captaincy gets confusing. There's life in the pitch and he brings on Lyon. Khawaja is taking him to market.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:19 am

Copes gets Labu.. poor execution by a bloke pushing his case past two years.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:21 am

MikeR68 wrote:Baggers, this is where Smith's captaincy gets confusing. There's life in the pitch and he brings on Lyon. Khawaja is taking him to market.
Yes I hear what you are saying Mike. Could be a case of getting as many overs under Lyon's belt as possible. He will be the spinner chosen for the First Test so needs some rhythm.

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:28 am

Don't know what to make of Marnus Labuschagne. Qld cricket seem to think a bit of him. Had a good game in Sydney recently on a dodgy wicket when Lyon opened the bowling, but average sort of performances really. But he's only 23, with 25 FC matches under his belt, I suppose he may come good, but that is the trouble with Qld, a young side still a couple of years away IMO from making a big impression. But that is Qld, always over-performing when they shouldn't be. I thought they would be finishing last or second last this year, who would have predicted their performances so far.

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:39 am

Sam Truloff is another has promise but is still to register a 50 at first class level. He looks good at the crease with plenty of time but obviously loses it somewhere.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:40 am

This shows that Jason Sangha is making good progress thru the ranks Mike. .
http://www.premier.nsw.cricket.com.au/p ... entityID=4

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:43 am

Don't know what to make of Marnus Labuschagne. Qld cricket seem to think a bit of him. He is evidently a soecialist cloe in man. Practics catching in his kitchen witn house mate James Bazley. Bazley another who has not kicked on after showing some promise a couple of years ago. Much like SA rookie and former U19 skipper Alex Gregory. Are some better able to deal with expectation than overs?
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:46 am

baggygreenmania wrote:This shows that Jason Sangha is making good progress thru the ranks Mike. .

Through NSW ranks Baggers, club cricket. I'm saying he's given plenty of opportunities with Australia U19, not a lot there, recent match..... nothing, Last year CAXI...nothing. Others have performed and still don't get opportunities, you know who the CA pets are.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:50 am

Bulls are throwing it away Mike. Another poor shot by Truloff.. not so much good bowling.

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:52 am

baggygreenmania wrote:Don't know what to make of Marnus Labuschagne. Qld cricket seem to think a bit of him. He is evidently a soecialist cloe in man. Practics catching in his kitchen witn house mate James Bazley. Bazley another who has not kicked on after showing some promise a couple of years ago. Much like SA rookie and former U19 skipper Alex Gregory. Are some better able to deal with expectation than overs?

Bazley's another one who is considered an all-rounder. Messes their game up. Chose one and concentrate on it. Batting in Bazley's case.

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:54 am

baggygreenmania wrote:Bulls are throwing it away Mike. Another poor shot by Truloff.. not so much good bowling.

That's what I said Baggers. Brain explosion when he is looking good at the crease. Can't teach patience. T20 is wrecking cricket.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:55 am

MikeR68 wrote:
baggygreenmania wrote:This shows that Jason Sangha is making good progress thru the ranks Mike. .

Through NSW ranks Baggers, club cricket. I'm saying he's given plenty of opportunities with Australia U19, not a lot there, recent match..... nothing, Last year CAXI...nothing. Others have performed and still don't get opportunities, you know who the CA pets are.
He did get a ton in only his third U19 match if I recall..in the UAE if memory serves. Was still 16 then? I have heard him interviewed.. is modest and unassuming. My view is he is having trouble with the expectation being heaped on him specially by the media.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:59 am

MikeR68 wrote:
baggygreenmania wrote:Don't know what to make of Marnus Labuschagne. Qld cricket seem to think a bit of him. He is evidently a specialist close in man. Practics catching in his kitchen witn house mate James Bazley. Bazley another who has not kicked on after showing some promise a couple of years ago. Much like SA rookie and former U19 skipper Alex Gregory. Are some better able to deal with expectation than overs?

Bazley's another one who is considered an all-rounder. Messes their game up. Chose one and concentrate on it. Batting in Bazley's case.

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:03 am

Jack Wildermuth, another "all-rounder", seems to be a lot going around at present Baggers. Jack of all trades, master of none. All-rounders are useful in the shorter forms not in the longer form.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:07 am

MikeR68 wrote:Jack Wildermuth, another "all-rounder", seems to be a lot going around at present Baggers. Jack of all trades, master of none. All-rounders are useful in the shorter forms not in the longer form.
Tend to agree with that Mike unless they are exceptional like Kallis, Botham, Sobers etc. Wanna play some MF during lunch break or are you working.

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:09 am

baggygreenmania wrote:
MikeR68 wrote:Jack Wildermuth, another "all-rounder", seems to be a lot going around at present Baggers. Jack of all trades, master of none. All-rounders are useful in the shorter forms not in the longer form.
Tend to agree with that Mike unless they are exceptional like Kallis, Botham, Sobers etc. Wanna play some MF during lunch break or are you working.

Actually Baggers off to see Murder on the Orient Express, right now 1.00 session. Looking forward to it.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:11 am

MikeR68 wrote:
baggygreenmania wrote: Tend to agree with that Mike unless they are exceptional like Kallis, Botham, Sobers etc.

Actually Baggers off to see Murder on the Orient Express, right now 1.00 session. Looking forward to it.
Have been thinking same thing. I did watch the version with David Suchet and Toby Jones the other nite. Enjoy the film.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:12 am

Why is William Bosisto not batting #3 for the Warriors instead of Cartwright? Mitch Marsh continues to put the incumbent Test #6 under enormous presssure as everyone knows first drop is the most vital batting spot there is. Mike any idea when Ashton Agar is likely to return from injury..has been a couple of months now. Also where is Cameron White?

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:20 am

Veteran George Bailey played a lone hand for the Tigers with a composed ton before the Tassie bowlers had the Bushies in early trouble. Of the Test contendors Maxwell failed, while Cartwright got a patient 35 for the Warriors. . Ussi Khawaja continues his good start to this season providing the only brite spot for the Bulls in their match against the Blues. Fawad Ahmed is bowling very well this season in all formats. Could he be a ruffie for Sydney Test should the SCG deck play true to recent form?

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:07 am

I have said this before..Peter Handscomb has a worrying technical flaw that blokes with 500 and almost 400 Test wickets will not wait to exploit. He sometimes fails to cover his off stump to the fuller ball. A prime example was his dismissal today against the Tigers quick Bell. Team mate Riley Meredith looks to have plenty of pace.

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:00 am

baggygreenmania wrote:Veteran George Bailey played a lone hand for the Tigers with a composed ton before the Tassie bowlers had the Bushies in early trouble. Of the Test contendors Maxwell failed, while Cartwright got a patient 35 for the Warriors. . Ussi Khawaja continues his good start to this season providing the only brite spot for the Bulls in their match against the Blues. Fawad Ahmed is bowling very well this season in all formats. Could he be a ruffie for Sydney Test should the SCG deck play true to recent form?

With Holland, O'Keeffe and Agar all injured who is the no 2 Spinner at this very moment if something happened to Lyon this week. Swepson you would think would be the next one in line but i wouldn't write Ahmed off either.

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:03 am

baggygreenmania wrote:Why is William Bosisto not batting #3 for the Warriors instead of Cartwright? Mitch Marsh continues to put the incumbent Test #6 under enormous presssure as everyone knows first drop is the most vital batting spot there is. Mike any idea when Ashton Agar is likely to return from injury..has been a couple of months now. Also where is Cameron White?

Don't forget M Marsh was not dropped in India he got injured, if he was bowling he would be a dead set cert for the 1st test.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:22 am

We are hoping that CA is done with this obsession of having a so called all rounder batting at #6. Cartwight as the incumbent should get the nod. Failing that I would like to see Cameron Bancroft there. He just posted his first ton of the year.
With Holland, O'Keeffe and Agar all injured who is the no 2 Spinner at this very moment if something happened to Lyon this week. Swepson you would think would be the next one in line but i wouldn't write Ahmed off either.
Odd that all three are left arm orthodox and all are injured at the same time. I certainly would not write off Ahmed. Experience is a very big thing against a strong opposition. Swepson down the line tho...perhaps as early as the Saffer tour next year.

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:12 am

Mat Renshaw had better start getting very nervous because Cam Bancroft is getting very close to pinching his spot, Bancroft has now scored 630 runs@210.00 in his last 4 FC games and if not Renshaws place then maybe the no 6 spot, though Bancroft could bat 3 and Khawaja/Handscomb 5/6. And i don't mind Khawaja at 5 without the Spin threat the Sub Continent presents.

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:14 am

baggygreenmania wrote:I am not a fan of these Day/Night tests, Baggers. Advantage is to the team that wins the toss and bats, which is the only time a team has their quality batsmen playing for 2 sessions in daylight conditions, night falls so do the wickets.

I think England will miss Stokes because he is going to end up a high quality Batsman who will be a handy 4th seamer.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:46 am

Mick180461 wrote:Mat Renshaw had better start getting very nervous because Cam Bancroft is getting very close to pinching his spot, Bancroft has now scored 630 runs@210.00 in his last 4 FC games and if not Renshaws place then maybe the no 6 spot, though Bancroft could bat 3 and Khawaja/Handscomb 5/6. And i don't mind Khawaja at 5 without the Spin threat the Sub Continent presents.
You are including his double ton against the Pom side in county cricket? Bancroft could bat anywhere in the top six. What a thing it would be to use an extra player.. either batsman or bowler should he also keep. I have seen worse gloveman going around.

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:27 pm

baggygreenmania wrote:I have said this before..Peter Handscomb has a worrying technical flaw that blokes with 500 and almost 400 Test wickets will not wait to exploit. He sometimes fails to cover his off stump to the fuller ball. A prime example was his dismissal today against the Tigers quick Bell. Team mate Riley Meredith looks to have plenty of pace.

In part I agree with you Baggers, Qld did expose this flaw you are talking about getting him LBW in both innings for not many runs, so you do have to worry about him against a quality line up. But sometimes technical flaws can be overcome by a quality batsman, eg Smith has a technical flaw walking across his stumps, you wouldn't find that in coaching manuals, but it works for him. Hard to fault Handscomb when he averages over 53 in tests. Time will tell.
You were impressed with Nevill's catch Baggers, How about Peirson's "anything you can do I can do better" pearler. The Qld tradition of producing outstanding keepers continues. If he can produce the runs like he did last year filling in for Hartley (scoring 209 runs at 41.80) he'll put pressure on the keeping spot in a couple of years. But surely Bancroft has to get the gloves for the first test. Imagine him coming in at 7 (probably a waste when you think about it), I'm prepared to sacrifice Renshaw to get him in opening, then we can forget about the tried and proven useless Wade and Nevill, and someone like Cartwright plays at 7,,,,Awesome side!

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:21 pm

Bully : one who is habitually cruel, insulting, or threatening to others who are weaker, smaller, or in some way vulnerable, or at a disadvantage.

David Warner.
Away record where the international bowlers know the pitches better than what he does Av 37
At home where the first class bowlers know the pitches just as well as what he does Av 37
At home where the international bowlers don't know the pitches as well as he does Av 60.

Does the shoe fit? Joe Root might know?