BAGGY GREEN: The Many Faces Of Australian Cricket

This is the forum for discussion of all cricketing issues and news. Here you will find frank analysis and opinion on subjects ranging from selection policies, favourite cricketers and match post-mortems right through to dressing room and cricket board fiascos.
MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Cash on hand: Locked
Australia

Re: BAGGY GREEN: The Many Faces Of Australian Cricket

Postby MikeR68 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:09 am

Just thinking the same thing Baggers, Bancroft had a nice take to dismiss Nevill diving forward, so he wouldn't be out of place as keeper, which would be a nice introduction to batting with the potential of opening. I hate to jinx Qld but Burns is going very nicely against a swinging ball, and in all honesty wouldn't be out of place as No 6 for Australia. Unfortunately he is showing up Renshaw who is struggling. Up until the hat-trick Starc was looking all at sea, but the hat-trick neatens up his figures.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:05 am

Bancroft is a traditional opener in the vein of the greats of the past.. the same as the newbie Renshaw.. Players that put a lofty price on their wickets. So if he opens in Tests then he is not going to keep. He is too good a batsmen to bat any lower than #6. So somewhat of a conumbrum. Has Joe burnt his bridges mate. If they are going to dump a bloke after one test.. ala Ferguson.. then I can not see them resurrecting Joe's career after giving him a fair run.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:33 am

Aussie quicks in fine fettle.. Hazlewood takes out the top three yesterday, two of which are Ashes contenders and today Starc skittles the tail to take a rare Shield hat trick. The weather may win the game tho with rain around Sydney at the moment. Players back on the field after lengthy rain delay. What are we going to do about Nic Maddinson. Looked all quality until he skied an attemped hook/pull. A shot he need not have played. He and blokes like Maxwell, Mitch Marsh it is all about what is between the ears.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:57 am

Looks as tho the Tigers will pay for a poor second innings over the Bulls. They compiled a paltry 150 with just two decent scores Doolan (58) and Silk (44). There were 4 ducks. Tassie cricket is in dissaray.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:30 am

Callum Ferguson reminding selectors he is not going away..with a polished ton today. Lehmann throwing away a golden chance to post his second ton of the game.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:40 am

Blues are building a winning lead with Smith bringing up his 50. Big partnership between the skipper and Patterson should ensure the Warriors have a sizeable target to chase. The Blues camp will be hoping that the rain stays away tomorrow.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:00 am

Tasmania for some reason look weaker with Wade. Though Bailey is coming to the end of his career. One good thing for Tasmania is the form of Rainbird who has bowled well in the first 2 games. Swinging the ball well in both his games, especially considering the last couple of years he went a bit MIA. He's only 25 as well. I think it is time to close the book on Bird though.
Maddinson has a short circuit in his brain, which is a problem for him as he is not considered the most technical player, which international bowlers will take advantage of....and did! Another failure for Warner. Standard for him... 1 good score, 1 barely average score and 2 failures, that's par for Warner.
Looks like a bit of a boring day at the shield games, luckily I went and saw the new Thor movie. got to give that a 10/10 performance.

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:19 pm

Baggers, latest article has reduced Renshaw to the status of ASHES ASPIRANTS, alongside Maddinson, Ferguson, Head, Burns, Bancroft, Patterson, Lehmann. Doubtful he will be selected for the first test. But the Matthew Wade supporters are having a field day with his catch to dismiss Renshaw, but it was a good catch. I'm hoping Carey has a good innings today, but it won't be for long they will declare shortly.
How long do you think Warner will get for dissent? He was out... I heard the snick up here in Qld! I think he was amazed that WA had the cheek to appeal, after-all he is DAVID WARNER.

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:07 pm

Here is my potential side for the first test only being played at the Gabba
Warner, Bancroft (wicket-keeper, he can do it) Khawaja, Smith, Handscomb, Burns, Cartwright, Starc (FC bowling av 26.74), Behrendorff (FC bowling average 22.92 WOW that's the best I can think of currently), Hazlewood (FC av 25), and my bolter, Luke Feldman (FC av 26.19...I know but better than Starc and Cummins (av 28)), 12th man Lyons.

The team the selectors most probably go for considering past selections
Warner, Maddinson, Smith, Patterson, Hughes, Henriques, Neville, Starc, Cummins, Hazlewood, Lyons, 12th man Copeland, 13th man Stephen O'Keefe...standby players bowlers Abbott, Conway, Nair, ... keeper Lenton.... batters Cowan, Gibson, Larkin, Sangha...all-rounders Fallins, Uppal, did I miss anyone?

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:33 am

MikeR68 wrote:Here is my potential side for the first test only being played at the Gabba
Warner, Bancroft (wicket-keeper, he can do it) Khawaja, Smith, Handscomb, Burns, Cartwright, Starc (FC bowling av 26.74), Behrendorff (FC bowling average 22.92 WOW that's the best I can think of currently), Hazlewood (FC av 25), and my bolter, Luke Feldman (FC av 26.19...I know but better than Starc and Cummins (av 28)), 12th man Lyons.

The team the selectors most probably go for considering past selections
Warner, Maddinson, Smith, Patterson, Hughes, Henriques, Neville, Starc, Cummins, Hazlewood, Lyons, 12th man Copeland, 13th man Stephen O'Keefe...standby players bowlers Abbott, Conway, Nair, ... keeper Lenton.... batters Cowan, Gibson, Larkin, Sangha...all-rounders Fallins, Uppal, did I miss anyone?

That is your Blues dig for the day is it Mike. I had Behrendorff in my squad. Bancroft as keeper/batsman could sneak in at #6 after his fine knock yesterday but Cartwright as the incumbent deserves a run there. Bancroft is one of my long term openers with Renshaw. Feldman who are kidding. You missed Chris Tremain (@24.45) and getting better every season.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:40 am

MikeR68 wrote:Baggers, latest article has reduced Renshaw to the status of ASHES ASPIRANTS, alongside Maddinson, Ferguson, Head, Burns, Bancroft, Patterson, Lehmann. Doubtful he will be selected for the first test. But the Matthew Wade supporters are having a field day with his catch to dismiss Renshaw, but it was a good catch. I'm hoping Carey has a good innings today, but it won't be for long they will declare shortly.
How long do you think Warner will get for dissent? He was out... I heard the snick up here in Qld! I think he was amazed that WA had the cheek to appeal, after-all he is DAVID WARNER.

Stuff what the media think. Renshaw as encumbent should get at least the first two tests.. and will. He is lacking confidence partly over his savaging by the media. Wish they would leave the kid alone. Wade may take the odd goodie but he can not buy a meaningful score.. gets starts and can not capitalize. Nevill and Carey are superior keepers and batsmen. So it is a no contest. Bancroft is a ruffie to take the gloves. Maddinson, Burns, Ferguson. Lehmann no chance. Warner perished the way he always does flashing at wide deliveries.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:49 am

Blues have set the Warriors 394 after Smiths ton. Expect some fireworks by the Warriors big hitters. Redbacks setting the Bushies 347 on back of unbeaten 182 by Ferguson. Weather looks fine in both states so should be two cracking finishes. Joined MF yet Mike?

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:53 am

The Warriors are making a great fist of this big target but it could be a bridge too far with 215 still needed in the final session. Hazlewood finally broke the Bancroft/SOS partnership in the last over before tea. Bancroft remains not out on 89 and eyeing his first triple figures for our season following his double hundred in County cricket in the off season. The kid is firming for a possible Ashes berth.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
Bank: Locked
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:39 am

Cricinfo touted mini Lehmann as a possible selection are there any thoughts on that?

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:37 am

Boycs wrote:Cricinfo touted mini Lehmann as a possible selection are there any thoughts on that?
Has had a couple of decent FC seasons on the trot. Nothing outstanding. He can put a big score on the board like in this game but follows it with lots of small ones. I would give him another FC season or two to get some consistency before giving him a Baggy Green.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:48 am

Wins to the Blues over the Warriors and Bulls over the Tigers while the Bushies sneak a draw against a rampaging Redback side.. Did Mitchell Starc create history today? Will have to check stats..but has two hat tricks in the same Australian FC game ever been achieved?

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:44 pm

baggygreenmania wrote:Wins to the Blues over the Warriors and Bulls over the Tigers while the Bushies sneak a draw against a rampaging Redback side.. Did Mitchell Starc create history today? Will have to check stats..but has two hat tricks in the same Australian FC game ever been achieved?

First time that 2 hat-tricks in one game has been achieved, I don't think it has ever happened at international level either. But not all is rays of sunshine and puppy dogs though baggers. Two games in a row now when Australia's bowlers have failed to make in-roads early, SA 136 before first wicket and yesterday 179 before first wicket. If England were to capitulate accordingly it will be a very boring and quick test match series. Thanks for posting Queensland also won as you won't be informed of that result anywhere else on the net. One article did mention how Khawaja scored the winning runs, but minimal mention of Burns setting up the victory. That's the media for you, they have their favourites. How many articles have you seen on Maxwell? I've seen so many I've stopped drinking coffee, just the sight of the name makes want to hurl. Got all excited this morning when I saw "Australia's new Hayden and Langer", then saw it was about Beth Mooney and Nicole Bolton. But I have enjoyed the increased media attention for the ladies, they're playing some good cricket.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:12 am

You were up early to post that Mike. No word on MF? I would not be worried about our pace attack. Some rust there but they cleared the cobwebs. That was an absolute Hurstville Oval belter yesterday. It was only a pearler from Hazlewood that broke the partnership and started the rot. He produced two more later on. Lyon looked mediocre again for much of his spell..turned things around somewhat with two latish wickets. Starc was also mediocre until only the tail remained where he can do his party trick.

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:13 am

baggygreenmania wrote:
Boycs wrote:Cricinfo touted mini Lehmann as a possible selection are there any thoughts on that?
Has had a couple of decent FC seasons on the trot. Nothing outstanding. He can put a big score on the board like in this game but follows it with lots of small ones. I would give him another FC season or two to get some consistency before giving him a Baggy Green.

Gee you're a hard marker Baggers. Jake has played 29 games now and is maintaining a 44 average. Last year you were supporting Patterson for a call up with his average at 41. The media are suggesting Daniel Hughes may be a potential selection with an average of 36, and Maddinson has played for Australia with an average of 35. So if the powers that be are consistent in their arguments Lehmann would be a good chance and may actually be successful. Currently he should be in consideration for selection, and is one of the main reasons SA have been successful for the past 2-3 years.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:17 am

How many articles have you seen on Maxwell? I've seen so many I've stopped drinking coffee, just the sight of the name makes want to hurl. Got all excited this morning when I saw "Australia's new Hayden and Langer", then saw it was about Beth Mooney and Nicole Bolton. But I have enjoyed the increased media attention for the ladies, they're playing some good cricket.[i] Maxwell is getting some runs but not enuff to unseat any of out top 6. The surprise packet of the Vics is Aaron Finch . He keeps getting FC 50s. I too was excited with the new Langer/Hayden headline until I read it was a couple of our girls. Having said that our Southern Stars will give a good account of themselves against the Poms even without the great Meg Lanning.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:22 am

MikeR68 wrote:
baggygreenmania wrote: Has had a couple of decent FC seasons on the trot. Nothing outstanding. He can put a big score on the board like in this game but follows it with lots of small ones. I would give him another FC season or two to get some consistency before giving him a Baggy Green.

Gee you're a hard marker Baggers. Jake has played 29 games now and is maintaining a 44 average. Last year you were supporting Patterson for a call up with his average at 41. The media are suggesting Daniel Hughes may be a potential selection with an average of 36, and Maddinson has played for Australia with an average of 35. So if the powers that be are consistent in their arguments Lehmann would be a good chance and may actually be successful. Currently he should be in consideration for selection, and is one of the main reasons SA have been successful for the past 2-3 years.
Yeh probably a bit harsh on Jake. He peels off hundreds with incredible ease. If there is one complaint I have about him is his runs come at a fast but risky rate. He does need to temper things and build his innings more. Hard heads like Jimmy and Stuart will soon work out this and try to exploit it to their advantage.. PM Mike top of page.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:26 am

Patterson for a call up with his average at 41. 5 tons 19 fifties is the reason Patterson has not yet donned a baggy green.He has to still be on CA radar with a healthy @41.4 but first he needs to start converting those halves into big hundreds.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:27 am

Baggers I've given up on Aaron Finch, I cannot work him out. Even with the limited overs side. He's one of those players that if he disappeared from the side it would take a few games to realize he isn't there, and start to wonder what happened to him. Maxwell to my way of thinking is another player that scores a contract and thinks he can just walk out on the field and his job is done. "Big Show" more like "Show Pony".

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:34 am

Baggers MF site for some reason won't let me post presently, it comes up as online but I'll work it out some day. They said I have to confirm via my e-mail site but they haven't sent me one even though I've had it re-sent. Don't know. I've seen your posts and MickfromRedland, but I'll keep trying.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:42 am

MikeR68 wrote:Baggers MF site for some reason won't let me post presently, it comes up as online but I'll work it out some day. They said I have to confirm via my e-mail site but they haven't sent me one even though I've had it re-sent. Don't know. I've seen your posts and MickfromRedland, but I'll keep trying.
Odd. keep onto them Mike. Want you there with us, The site is a bit lite on for Aussies.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:49 am

I'm on now Baggers and just found your thread and answered.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:27 am

CAX1 taking on the Poms in a pinkie three dayer at Adelaide Oval. Not that impressed with their pace attack. Where are all the young blokes who have impressed in recent national squads.. Who is Jackson Coleman? Why are talented youngsters like Cameron Green not in this squad. Henry Thornton and and David Grant both recent U19 bowlers have not been chosen for this game? Gotta say Gurinder Sandhu can be considered lucky to still be on the CA radar with a moderate @34 FC av. Like the look of the batting lineup tho with some serious talent in Jason Sangha. Will Pukovski, Ryan Gibson and Jake Carder. Little sorry not to see Josh Philippe there.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:47 am

CA has chosen a preliminary squad of 28 players for thye 2018 U19 WC in NZ next January.
Selection in the final squad is set to be determined by performances at the Under 19 National Championships to be played in Hobart and Launceston from December 4 to 15.

Headlining the squad is Western Australia all-rounder Cameron Green, who took the Shield by storm last summer as a 17-year-old, including five wickets in his maiden innings and 12 wickets across three matches at the remarkable average of 18.5.

Australia Under 19 World Cup preliminary squad: Iain Carlisle, Matthew Gilkes, Jason Sangha, Jack Edwards, Ryan Hackney, Ryan Hadley, Baxter Holt, Lawrence Neil-Smith, Param Uppal, Austin Waugh (NSW ); Xavier Bartlett, Max Bryant, Mitchell Connolly, Blake Edwards, Harrison Macoun, Nathan McSweeney, Harrison Wood (QLD); Thomas O'Connell, Lloyd Pope (SA); Jarrod Freeman (TAS); Patrick Rowe, Zak Evans, Jonathan Merlo, Edward Newman, Will Sutherland (VIC); Cameron Green, Bradley Hope, Matthew Spoors (WA)

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:18 am

Mike is Tim Paine a chance to take the gloves for the First Test? He is the incumbent T20 gloveman and is the captain/keeper for this Ashes warm up three dayer. He is as experienced a keeper that we have in this country and has always been a reliable batsman.

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:23 pm

baggygreenmania wrote:Mike is Tim Paine a chance to take the gloves for the First Test? He is the incumbent T20 gloveman and is the captain/keeper for this Ashes warm up three dayer. He is as experienced a keeper that we have in this country and has always been a reliable batsman.

I suppose that if they can pick Nevill who was state back-up keeper for Wade and Haddin for Australia, then Paine is a chance, but I will stay consistent and say that we should not pick someone that hasn't played shield for a while. What is his age now..... 33? Not really looking to the future if he is selected. I'll stick with Carey as a logical choice being only 26. Still thinking Bancroft for Renshaw would be a perfect selection to allow a real batsman at 7.
As for the U19's what did they do select the entire NSW side (there are 10) How would you like to be the 11th player for NSW who didn't get selected, that has to be a massive kick in the gonads for the young bloke.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:39 pm

Tim played shield last season Mike. Only been relegated this season. Why I do not know . He is still one of the most accomplished keepers in the land. Will they risk a debutant for the Ashes. Nevill should get the nod. Carey tho could be blooded on the upcoming Sth African tour.
It is only a U19s prelim squad. Cause they are going to pick majority Blues players as they are usually the winners of the annual youth nationals. What did you think of the 21 year old leggie Daniel Fallins Mike. Had the Poms bamboozled at times. Unlucky not to finish the day with a 5for. You are also writing off Renshaw? What replace him with Bancroft as batsman/keeper?

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:23 am

I might be wrong here Baggers but I think Paine only played 3 games last year and one was the thumping Tasmania got from Qld by an innings and nearly 200 runs. Doran if I remember correctly was the keeper for Tasmania. I'm of course not saying he's not a good keeper, because he is and if weren't for injuries probably still would be keeper today for Australia. I just like to be consistent and I've always had problems with selections without significant form from state level.
That's the first time I've actually seen Fallins bowl well, Baggers, he's been very disappointing for CAIX and previously the only game I remember his name was when he played in the U23's future's league against Qld where Qld took him apart to defeat NSWU23's and that particular game was at Drummoyne Oval, in Sydney. I remember him going for over 6 an over. But that was against Qld and Qld and Tas were the top teams last year. But Warnie started off slowly too, so I don't read much into him so early. But in fairness there are 2 in NSW futures that I think may go far Daniel Solway and N Bertus (is his first name actually N?) There's not much else in NSW U23's presently. I was more disappointed for Simon Milenko yesterday just when he was getting his FC bowling average under 30 and his batting is coming on good pushing up to 30, bit disappointed in his performance, and he's not getting any younger.
Jackson Coleman is one that if he ever gets a chance for the Vics may have potential. left armer... nice delivery to get Cook.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:31 am

Yes Fallins has not done much since his emergence in the Aussie U19 side a couple of years ago Mike. This effort yesterday against the likely Pom Ashes side tho will give him great confidence going forward. Not sure how Milenko made this side as he struggled to cement a Bulls spot and was forced to pursue his career in Tassie..
Futures League is poorly managed in my state at least. There seems never to be the same side from one match to the next. How are players supposed to settle into a career at this level if they are in and out of the side. Daniel Solway showed promise several years ago. But like so many cricketers he could not maintain consistency long enuff to make the Blues team. I do not know much about Nick Bertus.
What has happened to Sam Heazlett this season. Can not recall seeing his name in the One Dayers and first two Shield rounds. I rate this youngster. One Bull putting his name forward this year is Saffer-born Michael Neser. he can hold a bat as well. So could be an all round option if CA go that way. The other bloke with a Saffer name Jack Wildermuth has dropped of somewhat after showing early promise .

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:36 am

You around Mike. Veteran glovemen Tim Paine and Blues stylish right hander Ryan Gibson will lead the inexperienced CAX1 boys as they pursue what should be around 300 runs. Gibson said he was looking forward to the challenge of facing the Pom test attack minus Stuart Broad. Sadly he found the challenge too hard with a frustrated slash at at a wide ball.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:40 am

AUS: Nicole Bolton, Beth Mooney, Alex Blackwell, Ellyse Perry, Elyse Villani, Rachael Haynes (c), Alyssa Healy (wk), Tahlia McGrath, Jess Jonassen, Amanda Wellington, Megan Schutt,

ENG: Lauren Winfield, Tammy Beaumont, Sarah Taylor (wk), Heather Knight (c), Georgia Elwiss, Fran Wilson, Natalie Sciver, Laura Marsh, Katherine Brunt, Anya Shrubsole, Sophie Ecclestone,

The historic pinkie womens Test match is also underway at North Sydney Oval. England won the toss and are batting.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:57 am

Absolute pathetic live stream .
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:15 am, edited 3 times in total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:32 am

21 year old leggie Daniel Fallins had the England batsmen bamboozled at times yesterday. Has just polished off the last Pom tailender to get his initial FC Michelle. Great effort. At tea the CAX1 are two down. Jake Carder is doing a good holding job for the kids.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:59 am

Only the experience of Tim Paine is keeping the CAX1 alive. The Aussie camp will be hoping that the kids can avoid the follow on as the last thing they want is to be sent in again in the twilite against one of the games great swing bowlers in James Anderson.

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:43 pm

Pretty poor display from the CAXI in general baggers. I was expecting more from "the stylish???" Larkin, Gibson, and Sangha with all the talk about them. They wasted the daylight batting opportunities. Carder showed promise but went for the typical T20 shot and was out. Paine and Milenko showed what a bit of first class experience does, and a bit of a worry for England that the 2 most talented batsmen in the side scored 50's. I was impressed with Short showing why he has a FC average of 38 for the CAXI, I'd like to see him get an opportunity for Victoria. If Ireland gets into the test match fixtures, Baggers, Larkin will represent them.
Last edited by MikeR68 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:04 pm

Strong display by a very talented all-rounder Jess Jonassen in the women's ashes, Baggers, doing the grunt work of the bowling attack. Looking forward to seeing her bat, a 99 (poor lady, so close) and a 50+ in her first and only test and the main reason the women won that test thus taking out the player of the match. Though worrying signs at North Sydney Oval with her delivery to Scriver staying low, and on the first day. "What a Catch" from Nicole Bolton to get the ball rolling for the Aussie girls. And don't the ladies look great with the Baggy green on their head, you can't help but have a great sense of pride watching them play, for the love of the game and not the money.

Baggers what is the problem with the SCG. Surely they don't need 3 months to prepare the pitch for the Ashes test. Is it termites in the stands, health risk? These ladies, nor for the sheffield shield players, should not be playing out of secondary ovals, and from the looks of most games poorly prepared ovals. I know I am spoiled up here with Kevin Mitchell and Kevin Mitchell Jnr tending the Gabba for the last 40 years, and Allan Border field is a beautifully prepared wicket as well, but only playing a couple of games a year out of the SCG is a waste, and this is a one off test match for the women they deserve a better ground. Might as well knock it down and build a shopping mall, for all the use it is getting.

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:09 am

Oh No! Bird's being rested for the 1st test, he'll need to practice running out to the batsmen with drinks. SSDD.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:00 am

Pretty poor display from the CAXI in general baggers. I was expecting more from "the stylish???" Larkin, Gibson, and Sangha with all the talk about them. They wasted the daylight batting opportunities. [quote="MikeR68"]
They certainly did Mike. Gibson threw away his wicket. Sangha got a snorter from Woakes. Larkin scores big in FL but when given a chance at FC comes up short every time. The Irish are welcome to him. By the way Mike Ireland already has sanctioned Test status.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:18 am

[i]"What a Catch" from Nicole Bolton to get the ball rolling for the Aussie girls. And don't the ladies look great with the Baggy green on their head, you can't help but have a great sense of pride watching them play, for the love of the game and not the money.[/i]
How true Mike tho the recent pay dispute has them now being paid handsomely.Jonassen is an underated player. I was also impressed by the debuts of Amanda Jade-Wellington and Tahlia McGrath. Tho she needs to bang the ball into the pitch more being a big unit. Looking forward to seeing the return of Holly "baby" Ferling after three years battling stress injuries.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:42 am

Bollinger, Abbott and Harry Conway for Hazlewood, Starc and Cummins makes me see a Bulls victory in next Shield round Mike. The Haze was supposed to play this match. What happened? Smithy is in the squad tho.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:34 am

Baggers what is the problem with the SCG. Surely they don't need 3 months to prepare the pitch for the Ashes test.
Could not agree more Mike. The SCG is one of the premier cricket venues on the globe yet seems to be used less and less over recent years. The SCG Trust needs a rocket up the proverbial to ensure the ground is ready specially when our Test players are available for state matches.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:51 am

Sandhu and Milenko have got CAX1 back into the contest since tea. Milenko has been the surprise packet by combining vital wickets with a half century. Now has a 5for to restict the Poms to 207. CAX1 now need 267 under lites to win. I expect Anderson to have the ball talking in the twilite with added overcast. Could be all over tonite.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
Bank: Locked
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:29 am

This is completely apropos of nothing but I was playing Don Bradman Cricket '14 this morning with my career guy for NSW. Smashed a triple century. I play it on quite an easy difficult setting, career SR is 160.00-odd, six, six, four, four, six-type hitting.

My guy's FC average with all these ease of batting on a lower difficulty setting is a whopping 80.00 after that triple century.

Even with all these advantages, in a game, I'm still 15 runs below Don Bradman's FC average.... :shock:

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:53 pm

baggygreenmania wrote:[i]"What a Catch" from Nicole Bolton to get the ball rolling for the Aussie girls. And don't the ladies look great with the Baggy green on their head, you can't help but have a great sense of pride watching them play, for the love of the game and not the money.[/i]
How true Mike tho the recent pay dispute has them now being paid handsomely.Jonassen is an underated player. I was also impressed by the debuts of Amanda Jade-Wellington and Tahlia McGrath. Tho she needs to bang the ball into the pitch more being a big unit. Looking forward to seeing the return of Holly "baby" Ferling after three years battling stress injuries.

Agree about Holly, Baggers, I remember she and Megan Schutt ripping Sri Lanka apart in 2016. And she's an excellent ambassador for women's cricket, lovely lady off the field. We need a big innings from Alyssa Healy today Baggers. Speaking of which have you been following Ian Healy's son Tom. Following closely in his father's footsteps, good keeper and seems to have more ability with the bat than his father. Following his Underage performances for Australia and Jimmy Peirson's promotion to Qld we may see a bit more of him in the Future's League.

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:10 pm

baggygreenmania wrote:Sandhu and Milenko have got CAX1 back into the contest since tea. Milenko has been the surprise packet by combining vital wickets with a half century. Now has a 5for to restict the Poms to 207. CAX1 now need 267 under lites to win. I expect Anderson to have the ball talking in the twilite with added overcast. Could be all over tonite.

Milenko is a talent, an actual all-rounder, but not good enough to be selected for Australia IMO. So if he's not good enough we shouldn't be looking for all rounders at all and we've chosen a few over the last few years, all failing.
Woakes and Overton the destroyers, Great deliveries to get Carder and Paine, but Larkin, Gibson, and Sangha all shooing flies away with their bats and managing to nick the ball. Australian batsmen have enough problems with swinging deliveries shouldn't be playing at the wide of off stump deliveries. I am not a fan of these Day/Night tests, Baggers. Advantage is to the team that wins the toss and bats, which is the only time a team has their quality batsmen playing for 2 sessions in daylight conditions, night falls so do the wickets.

MikeR68
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby MikeR68 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:38 pm

baggygreenmania wrote:Baggers what is the problem with the SCG. Surely they don't need 3 months to prepare the pitch for the Ashes test.
Could not agree more Mike. The SCG is one of the premier cricket venues on the globe yet seems to be used less and less over recent years. The SCG Trust needs a rocket up the proverbial to ensure the ground is ready specially when our Test players are available for state matches.

Baggers this is CA destroying 1st class cricket. Look what they did for this round. Gabba test coming up and they schedule a home game for QLD, they can't use the Gabba, so they get shunted to an 2ndary field. Nice ground but it's not the Gabba. As an ex member of the QCC they charge ridiculous membership fees, and for what? 3 sheffield shield games and a test match and occassional ODI if lucky, but plenty of T20 games. In all honesty I learnt very quickly you can't get a seat at the Cricketer's club for the test or ODI unless you want to bake in the sun, so if you want to stand for 7 hours you don't attend, or buy tickets elsewhere. Membership is declining up here, I can only imagine what it is like at the SCG. Years ago, you got a sheffield shield game, 2 days later the one day game. It was worth spending 2 even 3 days at the cricket on the week-ends, now you get nothing. And this is a CA decision and the states have to abide by this decision.