Land of the Long White Cloud - NZ Cricket thread

This is the forum for discussion of all cricketing issues and news. Here you will find frank analysis and opinion on subjects ranging from selection policies, favourite cricketers and match post-mortems right through to dressing room and cricket board fiascos.
Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Cash on hand: Locked
United States of America

Postby Going South » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:41 pm

Paddles wrote:F Me - if Henry Nicholls is now the 7th best non banned test batsman int he world.. what happened to test batsmen?

it’s the drugs, always.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/henry-nich ... tune-heir/

https://m.scmp.com/news/asia/australasi ... ampaigners

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Bank: Locked
India

Re: Land of the Long White Cloud - NZ Cricket thread

Postby Paddles » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:46 am

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... ompetitive

NZC treated with reverence. A rarity for me.
"Your inclination to assume and contradict is typical of Narcissism which is nothing about being pretty like the Narcissus fable."

HAHA!

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:42 am

Paddles wrote:http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/25524889/new-zealand-sri-lanka-competitive-right-please-let-competitive

what a sad post. i yawned twice. lankans are in a really bad patch. they are the new australians. i see no interest.

givemeahug786
CF Senior
CF Senior
Kenya

Postby givemeahug786 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:07 am

What a shot from Karunaratne! Wow he might Carry his bat
4th time.

Srilanka recovered from ear!y Burst from Tim southee
2/1/3/3

to 96/3 Karunaratne on 60*.
Time is the best speaker

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby Paddles » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:34 am

Going South wrote:
Paddles wrote:http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/25524889/new-zealand-sri-lanka-competitive-right-please-let-competitive

what a sad post. i yawned twice. lankans are in a really bad patch. they are the new australians. i see no interest.

As a NZC fan, I am not used to such sniping posts from the general cricket populace.

If Aus win the next 4 tests, and NZC the next two, NZC goes to #1 :P Then all they have to do is hold off Bangladesh for the ICC mast :D
"Your inclination to assume and contradict is typical of Narcissism which is nothing about being pretty like the Narcissus fable."

HAHA!

givemeahug786
CF Senior
CF Senior
Kenya

Postby givemeahug786 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:23 am

Aus not comfortable at 87 but I just found, in test, Williamson dismissed 3 times at

91 (2013)
91 (2016)
91 (2018)

In Test.
Time is the best speaker

givemeahug786
CF Senior
CF Senior
Kenya

Postby givemeahug786 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:27 am

Electric service back to normal but we missed Kohli and others 's dismissal

Still 65 runs Behind
Time is the best speaker

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby Paddles » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:07 am

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... pe=batting

Well done NZC - a fine year of batting dominance :D

HAHA!

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby Paddles » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:39 pm

And Henry Nicholls is now ranked #5 test batsman in the world...

HAHA!

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby Paddles » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:45 pm

Interesting going back and reading my posts from November.

I was right about Nicholls' improvement, and he did shine in the UAE. I was right Latham would plunder these Asian attacks at home, but that still doesn't mean he will offer much resistance next year to Eng, Aus nor Ind.

Tastle has been promoted to #1 spinner, which doesn't surprise me. And Patel is rightly the 4th, I did say I would like Sommerville to get a trial test, and one could say he did very well in it vs Pakistan. Where he stands with Santner in the test rankings for NZC - noone will know until Tastle gets injured or dropped again.

And Neesh did make his comeback and do well with the bat, but his bowling is still less than ideal.

If the rain stays away, I expect NZ to roll Bangladesh easily.

HAHA!

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby Paddles » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:43 am

Just want to congratulate Stead and KW for going into this last test without a spinner. Long time over due - but still finally a sight of original out of the box thinking that I think NZC does its best with.

We won't beat teams we're not expected to win, like in Aus or Ind, without thinking outside the box where sensible to do so. This is the kind of thinking that is required.

HAHA!

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:47 am

In place of despair in NZ selectors, looks like Paddles has decided to have confidence in Stead.
(Sorry, bad pun - couldn't resist). :-)

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby Paddles » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:52 am

raja wrote:In place of despair in NZ selectors, looks like Paddles has decided to have confidence in Stead.
(Sorry, bad pun - couldn't resist). :-)

Nah - I still don't have confidence in Stead. This decision smacks of a knee jerk of the spin stats being published this week in the NZ media.

That said, a step in the right direction happened. But the wrong bowler has been chosen in henry - he's new ball. It should have been Ferg's pace or a bowler with batting like Kuggeliejn.

I put the media stats link in my spin thread, but I expect the coach's to know these stats already - and not be learning them through the media...

HAHA!

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby Paddles » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:43 am

The likely Black Caps World Cup squad: Martin Guptill, Henry Nicholls, Kane Williamson, Ross Taylor, Tom Latham, Jimmy Neesham, Colin de Grandhomme, Mitchell Santner, Lockie Ferguson, Tim Southee, Trent Boult.

Colin Munro, Tom Blundell, Matt Henry, Ish Sodhi

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/cricket/news ... d=12218343

It's hard to get enthused about this squad to be honest. If a batsman goes down, Munro and Blundell are no real cover like Young would have been. If Latham goes down, Blundell is not much of a batsman. If Santner goes down, Sodhi at 8 is a very long tail. If 2 fast bowlers go down, NZ has no bowling cover and will be forced to play 2 spinners.

There is no way of playing 2 spinners with a long batting order.

Astle and Kuggelijn, the bowling allrounders - have been overlooked. I would have taken both. There's certainly match winners in the team, and even those on the bench have contributed heavily to wins in the past, but its a rather insipid, uninspiring team for me. A top 5 that score heavily but are sluggish. And a bowling core that is reliable but has death bowling issues.

Colin de Grandhomme has been backed, and he really must deliver. Because he is breaking NZC fans hearts in white ball cricket now, and keeping out the likes of Astle and Scott K - and not having a team with more spin and pace options due to their allround skill like England do - is beginning to irk.

1 Gup 2 Nicholls 3 KW 4 Taylor 5 Latham+ 6 Neesham 7 Astle 8 Kuggelijn 9 Santner 10 Ferg 11 Boult <<< this would have been my XI. Has far more pace with Kuggelijn over Southee and Henry. Has 2 front line spinners. And deeper batting with Santner at 9. Where I should be losing batting is at 7 with Astle over CdG, but I really am not losing much, gain so much with the bowling - especially with Kuggeliejn batting over Southee and Sodhi.

For spares - I would have gone with Young, Munro/CdG, Henry, Southee and had Nicholls don the gloves in an emergency. I would have had the ND reserve keeper to Seifert named Bocock on stand by if Latham was injured - because he's a gun keeper and an exciting batsman. Bocock is not on the national radar yet, but I would have sent a loud message to Seifert and Phillips that their glove work needs a lot of work this winter.

I suspect why this team has not been picked is because of NZ media. Astle's hopes were contingent on SK or D Bracewell being picked. D Bracewell is not good enough and SK won't apologise for not being guilty.

NZ really need CdG to deliver consistent batting cameos, and for Neesh and CdG to bowl their allotments well. I'm not holding my breath.

HAHA!

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:45 am

Hope the IPL stars come out of it without any injuries.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:54 am

CdG is fast becoming a disappointment.
I was a big fan of his when he started his international career.
But he is ending up becoming yet another bits-and-pieces player.
He's almost 33, so it's not like he has many years ahead of him.

He's become a poor man's Jacob Oram.
Or, if we are to compare with someone from his country of birth, a very poor man's Heath Streak.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:57 am

Or maybe it's just the curse of RCB.
I'd be delighted for CdG if he proves me wrong and does well at the World Cup.
He hasn't played in England yet, IIRC.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby Paddles » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:41 am

raja wrote:Or maybe it's just the curse of RCB.
I'd be delighted for CdG if he proves me wrong and does well at the World Cup.
He hasn't played in England yet, IIRC.

CdG the test player is sensational. He's brilliant. He averages 37 with the bat, 31 with the ball. And these numbers improve against quality opposition - be it his batting vs England, or his bowling vs SA and Pakistan.

Basically - every test series he has done something to contribute to a test or series win (bar rain robbed vs SA - but his opening bowling spell opened the door for NZ to be well on top).

As a test player - CdG has been brilliant for NZ. His worst series was in the UAE. And even then he bowled beautifully when given the chance to.

As a t20 and ODI player, he has only contributed in a large way to ONE victory with the bat vs Pakistan with his top score - that is only innings of note (and once piggy backed off Boult with the ball vs INdia).. His bowling ER is protected because he has been pulled from the attack when he has gone for runs. And his batting average is inflated by cashing in on total lost causes.

Darryl Mitchell is breathing down his neck - and its time for him to deliver, or just be a test cricketer. (Almost everyone would have sworn it would be the other way around for him).

HAHA!

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:37 am

That's true - I was impressed by him early on, based on his Test performances.
Considering he was seen more as a limited-overs player (esp for his explosive batting), I had high expectations from him for ODIs/T20s as well.
Has certainly fallen short of expectations.

I'd still like him to do well in the World Cup.
This NZ squad is a bit suspect - I think he will have plenty of chances, esp with the bat, to save them from dire situations. :-)

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby Paddles » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:08 am

raja wrote:That's true - I was impressed by him early on, based on his Test performances.
Considering he was seen more as a limited-overs player (esp for his explosive batting), I had high expectations from him for ODIs/T20s as well.
Has certainly fallen short of expectations.

I'd still like him to do well in the World Cup.
This NZ squad is a bit suspect - I think he will have plenty of chances, esp with the bat, to save them from dire situations. :-)

He certainly has in limited overs. He has exceeded them in every possible way in test, tbh. Even batting time to save a test vs England.

The squad is iffy, but the real issue is the bowling.

Guptill (43.5), KW (46), Taylor (48), Latham (34) and Nicholls (35 and climbing now an opener) is out best ever top 5 for not collapsing - remember Munro is gone from starting now. They're averaging over 200 between them easily. Easily. Throw in Neesham and CdG - that's 265 before Santner throws in his 27. That's a lot of runs.

NZ rebuilds well from 3 or 4 down all the time. All the time. Typically - two people stand up. The issue is their strike rates for the modern England pitches. They all bar Latham start a tad too slow of late, and Latham though he starts with hustle, doesn't have the top gear that Guppie and Taylor do. Noone knows how Nicholls will approach things.

My actual concern is Neesham at 6 won't get enough balls to go guns blazing. If he is left not out or has to berserk from the get go, runs are left out there. So I want to see some flexibility in the batting order. The same should be said for CdG at 7 as it was Maxwell at 7, but the reality is, CdG has missed more than he's hit lately. Neesham has been on fire.

The issue is the batting form of CdG and Santner at 8 with a tail at 9. If Sodhi plays for CdG or Santner, the tail is even longer.

But the real issue is the bowling. NZ lack middle over wickets. And lack someone supporting Boult at the death. And even Boult isn't the best death bowler going like Archer, Rabada, Starc or Bumrah.

Swap Guppie for Raval, the NZ ODI top 5 is our test top 5 where both Nicholls and KW are in the top 5. The issue isn't CdG rebuilding from 7 often, the issue is the bowling and CdG's batting when called upon to finish the job off.

HAHA!

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby Paddles » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:58 pm

I am literally watching high school rowing (boys and girls) on tv right now. High school.

I only get to watch 1 50 over list a game a year on tv in NZ and that's men's.

Tell me more about how NZ is a cricketing nation. I'm all ears.

NZ sport is Rugby, Rugby League, Rowing and Sailing - cricket is competing with basketball for 5th... At best. By Olympics kayaking splits rowing.

HAHA!

Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
United Kingdom

Postby Daanav » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:02 pm

Paddles wrote:I am literally watching high school rowing (boys and girls)

Err.... what are they rowing about? :? :?

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby Paddles » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:25 pm

Daanav wrote:
Paddles wrote:I am literally watching high school rowing (boys and girls)

Err.... what are they rowing about? :? :?

I don't know. I played cricket. I didn't row...

HAHA!

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:00 pm

givemeahug786
CF Senior
CF Senior
Kenya

Postby givemeahug786 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:19 am

paddles
latham will lead Second string of nz team to aus for may 5/7 & 9 for 3 un official ODI in sydney australia.

Do you know that team?Taylor with Nottingham other 7 in india.Good idea in case someone gets hurts before may 30th.
Time is the best speaker

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby Paddles » Tue May 07, 2019 1:44 pm

Raja - look for me on the Games Planet Forum NZ or WhirlPool forum Aus for cricket.

It is what it is. I suggest you join cricketweb.net/forum yourself. Ill be there again soon after the WC.

HAHA!