Land of the Long White Cloud - NZ Cricket thread

This is the forum for discussion of all cricketing issues and news. Here you will find frank analysis and opinion on subjects ranging from selection policies, favourite cricketers and match post-mortems right through to dressing room and cricket board fiascos.
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked

Re: Land of the Long White Cloud - NZ Cricket thread

Postby Paddles » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:16 pm

Striped Lungi wrote:Yeah some flicks are good esp if they need special effects and such.. but imagine watching a remake of The day of the jackal or the Ten Commandments.. (May be the latter would have a better red sea parting but still cannot beat Heston I think or Yul Brynner!).. I mean the new ones are just so not that engrossing at all. There was art then.. that has vanished and given way to CGI graphics now.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wJCqOhdzatA
If any moderator or administrator is able to add Going South to my foe list, I would greatly appreciate it.

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:20 pm

Yeah that was the one.. I did not know you could figure it out with just 'a babe and a dude on boat' babe because I actually gave you the wrong name.. (We do think alike.. dunno if that is good, bad or scary).

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:44 pm

Oh dear.. the only two movie 'events' I remember clearly are Jurassic Park and Ten Commandments. Events because of the excitement of going to them.. and not once but three times (yes I watched those two movies 3 times each and in a theater as those days VCR did not exist).. Jurassic park the scene where they show the FIRST dino.. the ones that walk by the jeep.. still gets me.. that scene alone is worth all the money.. and in ten commandments, Yul Brynner was just so nice to watch.. but it was ann baxter.. nefratiri that kept me hooked.. not the second half though.. first half.. where all is rosy cosy and such.. the moment the religious stuff and going to that temple to get that ten commandment slab and such started I would walk out of the place the send and third time around..

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:18 am

Striped Lungi wrote:Oh dear.. the only two movie 'events' I remember clearly are Jurassic Park and Ten Commandments. Events because of the excitement of going to them.. and not once but three times (yes I watched those two movies 3 times each and in a theater as those days VCR did not exist).. Jurassic park the scene where they show the FIRST dino.. the ones that walk by the jeep.. still gets me.. that scene alone is worth all the money.. and in ten commandments, Yul Brynner was just so nice to watch.. but it was ann baxter.. nefratiri that kept me hooked.. not the second half though.. first half.. where all is rosy cosy and such.. the moment the religious stuff and going to that temple to get that ten commandment slab and such started I would walk out of the place the send and third time around..

I liked the latest Jurassic Park, Jurassic Park IV, that came out last year.

I havn't seen the Ten Commandments, but if it was so good, how come there was no sequel? Godfather, Jaws, Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Silence of the Lambs; all had sequels.

Why was there no "The Next 10 Commandments", or "An Eleventh Commandment"; or "Exceptions to the Commandments".
If any moderator or administrator is able to add Going South to my foe list, I would greatly appreciate it.

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:07 am

I did not like the JP sequels.. will try the fourth one have not seen it.. have seen the second and third one.. hated it.

As for the eleventh commandment, I think moses refused a second trip to the mountains after the first ended with so much fuss.. but yes it would have been a good idea.. and given the next would have been the eleventh, they could have gone for ever.. like the twelfth, thirteenth and so on.. after all there are infinite numbers available..just add one to the previous one.. By now we could have had atleast 2437 commandments. But well it did not happen.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:10 am

Why is Mike Hesson such a good limited overs coach?

"It's basically strike rate."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/77848241/black-caps-walking-into-indian-ambush-on-nagpur-dustbowl-in-world-t20-opener

Now if he could just find room for Colin Munro in the ODI (and test team trial).

A little over 12 hours until India ambush NZ on what the media expects to be a dustbowl.

And it would appear that NZ will leave out its most experienced spinner and play Sodhi and Santner.

Sodhi has been the NZ spinner lookin' most likely for wickets recently. But this will be new for him. He will never have played in an environment like this. He would have had a taste in the final ODI against Australia that he played in in front of a big crowd, but at a small ground in NZ. This will be a learning curve for the lad. Hope he stars. A proud Kiwi, but born in India, I hope he relishes his opportunity tonight, should he be confirmed to play.

He can get big spin, but control ended his test career as he went for far too many runs, and those runs went at a very fast rate. Hopefully Shikar, Sharma, Kohli, Signh, Dhoni and Raina don't break him tonight.

Santner is also likely to play, which is not too surprising given he is the future, should be the best batsman, and is definitely the best fielder.

Will NZ attempt to blindside India and play NcCullum instead of Boult or Southee? Possibly. I do not think Boult is guaranteed to play as he is not a reknown closer. Southee is a death bowler with all the yorkers, but if the pitch is a dust bowl with nothing for the seamers, and given Milne and Anderson are guaranteed to play - then yes, NZ could pull such a play. However, because KW can bowl spin himself - and it is the first match, I expect that one of Southee or Boult will play. I am favouring Southee to start with all his sub continental limited overs and T20 experience at death bowling unless Boult gets some swing with the new ball in the warm ups.

Typically, KW likes Anderson to open the bowling in T20 leaving his Ace options for later in the match.

I have big hopes this tournament for Munro and Anderson. The former to announce himself on the world stage, and the latter to display his incredible worth, again, on a big stage in foreign conditions quite alien to what he has in NZ.

I would also like for Sodhi to return home a hero, but it may not be this match against that Indian line up if it at all ever eventuates.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:36 pm

NZ go for the blindside.

No Boult or Southee. NcCullum in. Milne officially NZ's t20 attack leader now.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:41 pm

And the worst case scenario came true for NZ first up.

The plans were good. Score as many before the pitch fell apart, which was after about 3 or 4 overs, but no DRS and a bad lbw for Guptill meant it was all uphill from there.

Never seen a second ball of a match turn that much from an off spinner. India will take some beating at home. Bumrah is a good find for them. So much balance in the Indian team.

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:43 pm

guptill caused the guptill

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:08 pm

Striped Lungi wrote:guptill caused the guptill

He didn't give himself out poorly.

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:16 pm

No one gives himself out.. umpire does :(

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:06 pm

So proud of the NZ team today. The bookies had NZ at more than $10 to win at halftime.

I thought KW was rattled in the field with his captaincy making some poor decisions and he was possibly relying on Taylor's input too much with Ronchi and Elliot also in conference. Anderson did not need to bowl so many overs after his first. I was surprised that KW never tried to bowl himself today too. But, this was a massive and difficult game for him to captain in, his first of any such like, and the team won. He will grow a lot in confidence from that, knowing he can lead the team to improbable wins (especially without Boult and Southee).

But to KW and Hesson for blindsiding India with three frontline spinners on an Indian dustbowl ambush, it was a brilliant tactic. I had my doubts whether a new captain in KW would go through with it and leave out both Boult and Southee. Impressive leadership there by captain and coach.

Ashwin, an off spinner, bowled the second ball of the match for big turn. The pitch just fell apart from there. Very good toss to win, and very good bowling by NZ. I have no issue with Guptill and Munro trying to make hay early. The pitch was going to fall apart so quick runs were vital to gain an advantage. Plus the strategy itself, even if it only works 50% of the time, is a very good one with NZ's deep batting line up with Elliot at 7 and Milne at 10.

NcCullum made the initial strike. Wonderful. Santner continued the good work. Excellent. Then Sodhi, his first ball to Kohli, brilliant. But when Dhoni smacked him for 6, his compisure to turn that over around, and get Ashwin stumped, was a very good effort displaying that he is developing a cool head. I suspected the pitch was turning too much for him later in the match, and that was the reason for wides which I thought at the innings break would occur given Santner and Sodhi have never bowled on pitches that crumbly.

Great for Ronchi to make a few runs and gain confidence. Good knock from Anderson, too when the innings was falling apart. NZ batted deep with Milne at 10, so wickets falling quick at the top should not frighten NZ as much as some other teams.

To be honest, despite Boult and Southee waiting in the wings, I hope the NZ v Australia game is on a dustbowl. Australia are short on spinners.

So very very proud of that spirited bowling performance. Santner was deserved man of the match for his batting efforts with the 4 wickets, but Sodhi grew another leg today, and NcCullum showed there is plenty of life in the ol dog just yet by starting the successful defence with Dhawan's wicket. His fielding too was outstanding. He had a better day in the field Guptill, which really says something.

Guess next time Safrica tour India, they should put some more spinners in their squad and leave one or two of the world's best seamers at home.
Last edited by Paddles on Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:22 pm

It was all planned.

It was a plan to lull all into a false sense of security.. give you a false degree of overconfidence.. and then WHAMMMMM.. you all shall be defeated..

Ha ha ha.. your team fell for it hook, line and sinker (and the boat along with it).

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:30 pm

Striped Lungi wrote:It was all planned.

It was a plan to lull all into a false sense of security.. give you a false degree of overconfidence.. and then WHAMMMMM.. you all shall be defeated..

Ha ha ha.. your team fell for it hook, line and sinker (and the boat along with it).

India will still be lower odds to win this tournament than NZ.

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:32 pm

Not in the eyes of its opponents.. that might be the case with the punters.. but we will use that laziness of your skippers and beat you.. you wait and watch

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:13 am

Great win for New Zealand over Australia.

Kane Williamson is being praised endlessly for team selections, but surely that is more influenced by Mike Hesson's role as coach in combination with KW? Either way, Kane Williamson by choosing to bowl Adam Milne for the 13th over, instead of himself, certainly raised my blood pressure and that of a lot of fans as inside edges off the bat went flying for four. The pitch was turning, the spinners had a strangle hold, and those inside edges and the pace on the ball just released all the pressure built up at that point.

That said, Mitch McClenaghan bowled fairly well, although his ball to get Agar out could have easily been 6 (or a wide if not 4 of them if left alone) and swung the game back to Australia. But all is well that ends well.

With 3 fast bowlers - Anderson, Milne and McClenehan, NZ should be posied to keep Sodhi and Santner in the team. Never was this more obvious than in the South Africa and England game where on a wicket with a green tinge, and good pace with bounce, only the spinners Tahir, Rasheed and Ali could stop the batting blitzkreig against the bowlers. Whether NcCullum comes back is another matter, but KW can bowl some overs (if he remembers - he took himself off after bowling one over for 3 runs so far).

I would not replace Milne, he is still the leading T20 bowler NZ has - Maxwell was lucky to get those 2 inside edges, and it could have happened to Boult or Southee, or any fast bowler with pace on the ball. It would appear that perhaps McClenahan has leaped above Milne in KW's eyes as attack closer, but it is KW's fault that Milne bowled the 13th over, not Adam's. Streaky inside edges for 4 when Maxwell was going for a heave after the spinners had placed Australia in a choke hold was poor captaincy in my opinion. It could have been captaincy brilliance if Maxwell had hit the ball onto his stumps, but the issue remains that pace at that stage of the innings made it easier for Australia to score, even if through inside edges. Never mind, all is well that ends well and the issue should only rise its head on the next pitch that 3 frontline spinners are thought of as best. It is worth noting that Adam Milne's numbers in the T20 format are still much better that McClenahan's.

But for now, there does seem room to play both of them as the next pitch should be less spin friendly, but regardless, Sodhi and Santner should remain in the team. It must be remember how well NcCullum bowled the powerplay overs against India, and that he is more than used to bowling with a new ball in that role, though. I thought NcCullum was particularly missed against Australia (around over 13 to be precise) because KW did not want to bowl himself for more overs.

Another issue to look at is whether KW should switch with Munro in the batting order. It does not appear to me that KW intends to take full value of the powerplay overs having the field up, whereas Guptill and Munro will happily hit over the top.

It would appear that all the commentators and "experts" are praising KW's captaincy as exceptional. I disagree at this stage. I think the coach has a large influence over team selection, and that it was common sense to hold spinners not named NcCullum back to after the powerplay was completed, as seen by the Australian bowlers in the NZ innings when we batted first. I think KW is relying far too much on Ross Taylor and all those senior players around him, and that results in strange decisions in having Milne bowl the 13th over, when the spinners were successfully suffocating the Australian batsmen. I question whether the bowling sums are being done, but that said, to get out of this tournament with 2 wins out of 2, means that KW if he has learned these lessons, is on his way to being a very good captain without the learning time hurting the side.

Zampa - 1 over for three runs - Smithy may get asked more questions about that decision.

For the players I suggest could be international players of the future: Tom Bruce scored a lovely 4th innings century of 166* batting with the tail in a losing effort for Central Districts. Raval made a hard fought 40 on a tough pitch which was crucial to Auckland winning a low scoring match. Kuggelijn was injured and did not play this round.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:17 pm

Another game, another NZ victory.

Again by a comfortable margin. Today Guptill put on a clinic giving him MOTM. NZ fans are used to these Guptill efforts now, and almost expect them. But he played as well as he ever has laying a superb platform. Munro got out to a rather dumb shot given a deep cover was waiting for his switch hit, but his job is to go big and hard at the ball early. I remain a fan of his role in the team but I do think he and KW should swap places in the batting order so NZ can capitalise on the first 6 overs at both ends. KW was a bit slow in the powerplay overs.

Corey Anderson had a great game, bowled very well in the Pakistani powerplay after all other bowlers struggled and went for plenty and a valuable lil' innings with the bat. Great aerial one handed catch to snag Afridi that appeared effortless and nonchelant by him. NZ can make a strong claim to be known as the best fielding unit around.

But what would have pleased most NZ cricket fans was the continued success of NZ's spin twins, the Earl of Twirl Murali Santner, and the Sheik of Tweak, Shane Sodhi.

Santner was given the first over - it went for 15 runs. But when he came back after the power play he was as parsimonious and difficult as ever. He got some big spin in between his sliders and while the umpires were calling him for wides off the batsman's thigh pads, he bowled his next 3 overs for 14 runs and took 2 wickets. He had a third wicket dropped off his bowling by the keeper Ronchi - it was a sharp chance off a faint nick from a fast turning delivery.

Sodhi once again impressed. 1 wicket for 25 runs, where the RRR was above 9 from the innings start was a very impressive effort after the pacemen struggled early. Once he got the vital Afridi wicket in his final over, the match was as good as won for NZ with the run rate required then exceeding the Pakistanian batting fire power.

Ronchi hit a straight 6, his first for a while and that was a personal highlight for me. He looks like he may be finding his form soon, and just at the right time of tournament. I am as pleased for him as all NZ cricket fans can imagine. His lower order hitting is vital to NZ in ODI and T20 cricket and his previous good form has been sorely missed. Taylor played well in the last over of the match and NZ made a winning score of 180 that I thought that the NZ bowlers would defend well if the young spinners performed. Perform? They exceeded the level of what was required to win and are making good names for themselves on the world stage now. NZ bowling efforts not that long ago was known for Boult and Southee, if these two keep up their ace performances, which started against Australia at home in the ODI series, soon NZ will be known for Santner and Sodhi.

Despite Baneree, Benn, Tahir, Ashwin, Herath, Shakib, and all the other famous and quality spinners, after 3 matches, the NZ spin duo are still the best performers as this tournament. Santner and Sodhi are halfway there to being named player of the tournament. Santner leads the wicket takers with 8 from three games, Sodhi has 5 but probably the best economy rate of any bowler to have bowled 12 overs. Just 3 more big games to go hopefully.

McClenahan was dreadful early, and ordinary later (when the game was as good as won) - but that is almost expected from him in that a diamonds then rocks match display from match to match is not a surprise from him. I am surprised that KW bowled him at the death and not Corey Anderson who still had 2 overs in the bank. I wonder in a closer game in the finals, who KW would choose to bowl then.

I will not be surprised if Southee or Boult or both are given a bowl against Bangladesh as it is not a must win game for NZ, but I would expect that Milne is a sure starter for the semi final. NcCullum may also be given a run against Bangladesh which I repeat is not a must win for NZ, but I would give Sodhi and Santner as much experience before the semis as possible and play them against Bangladesh.
Last edited by Paddles on Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:23 am, edited 8 times in total.

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:27 pm

All that to get to the semis.. :D

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:31 pm

Striped Lungi wrote:All that to get to the semis.. :D

I'm really impressed by and pleased for Sodhi and Santner. I would not have been surprised pre-tournament if one of them had been dropped for NcCullum by now with either Indian, Australian or Pakistanian batsman having latched onto them.

They are exceeding all expectations from NZ cricket fans. They are playing like they're the best spinners in world cricket or something. I cannot praise their 3 efforts so far enough.

I predicted a year ago that Sodhi could be a good limited overs player for NZ, I did not think he would be arguably the best spinner at an ICC tournament a year later. I doubt he even thought that bar lofty dreams.

A year ago, when Santner burst on the scene - fans of his domestic side said he would be more of a batsman. His bowling numbers, especially first class, were rubbish. Everyone hoped Santner would be a useful all-rounder, Dan Vettori at best was the dream, but even that seemed a little lofty, but he is exceeding that dream in the last 3 games too. He now has T20I bowling average of 11! Sodhi has an average of 16!
Last edited by Paddles on Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:46 pm

Remember sodhi happens to be our chap.. a turbanator.. ;)

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:04 pm

Striped Lungi wrote:Remember sodhi happens to be our chap.. a turbanator.. ;)

That is funny, because I had a Sikh just this week complaining to me about events in 1984 :P

Sodhi was schooled entirely in NZ as he arrived in NZ at 4 years of age, learnt his cricket in NZ, I mean I know you have in the IPL Flemming to coach you batting, and Bond to coach you bowling, but needing Vettori to teach you spin and then trying to claim Sodhi as an Indian leg spinner, it is getting a bit dire. I mean NZ plays cricket as a hobby - have some pride ;)
Last edited by Paddles on Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:12 pm

Ohh dear.. that was horrid... I know man.. it is a blot.. sadly NO ONE was punished for all that massacre.. the ones responsible are top buggers.. Rahul Gandhi and his italan mom Sonia.. Well not them directly but their family.. SONIA'S Hubby was directly involved and that means Rahul's father.. one of the worst incidents man.. I have seen that with my own eyes. Raja pai will vouch how hard I bat for them on twitter. If sodhi was one of them.. god speed him and give him all success man.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:34 am

Well he is back at it.

The opening run machine from Auckland, Jeet Raval, has piled up yet another big score, this time of 90 runs to help Auckland not only avoid defeat, but look to win their FC match against Wellington.

The runs keep coming thick and fast for Raval, who with Guptill Jnr, Michael Guptill-Bunce put on a 215 run opening partnership to put Auckland in a comfortable position. Guptill-Bunce made 189, but the selectors have to be noticing Raval just continue to put runs on the board. And pressure runs at that at times.

A few more 50's for Will Young. With 20 50's and only 2 hundreds, it would appear that he is allergic to centuries; a modern case of stephenflemmingitis.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:20 pm

So another game another win as NZ comprehensively thrash Bangladesh to leave the pool of death undefeated.

Corey Anderson left the field after bowling two overs which is a concern to me. I await nervously the details of his fitness. He is irreplacable as a top 5 batsman who can open the bowling and bowl death overs. He is both a lead batsman batting at 4, and a lead bowling option by opening the bowling. He could be replaced by Milne and McClenahan playing together with NcCullum, Sodhi and Santner with Elliot in support to keep the same opening and death bowling options. This weakens the batting.

Henry Nicholls is the batting reserve (and he is not batting well), so while ideally KW and Grunter Elliot would bowl Anderson's overs with Santner, Sodhi, Milne and McClenahan bowling and a specialist batsman take his place, and certainly would do so in a 50 over game, I am not so convinced that is the way Mike Hesson will read spinning pitches in this T20 tournament where he wants three frontline spinners, and two pace bowlers as well as Elliot. So if Anderson is injured, whether he is replaced by a batsman or a bowler, will depend much more on the pitch for three frontline spinners or not, as against finding an ideal like for like player in the squad. Anderson is irreplacable in this WT20 squad.

In today's game KW batted very well for his 40 odd with elegant shots at a good SR. His dismissal was rather strange, moving accross to offstump against Mustafizur bowling lfm over the wicket, I guess he wanted Mustafizur to follow him. Mustafizur did not and bowled him through and almost behind his leg (but he did follow McClenahan moving to beyond offstump at the death who smashed him for 6). No criticism, KW had laid a foundation, Colin was fairly established in crease time, and it was time to up the run rate. So all very sensible - even if not a dismissal KW would want to see a replay of anytime soon.

Also getting time at the crease and looking good on a poor batting wicket against bowlers suited to the conditions was Colin Munro. He took some time early on, but scored vital runs and comfortably caught up his SR. Had he not got out when he did, Colin and NZ were looking fairly good for a big score from his blade.

Taylor was promoted in the innings, and this kept a lhb rhb batting roation going. Hesson likes horses for courses, so 4 (Anderson),5 (Taylor),6 (Elliott),7 (Santner)and 8 (Ronchi) are not near certainties with the batting order not fixed in stone at any point in time and it depends a lot on match conditions. I agree with taking a versatile and dynamic batting order approach. It just makes sense and I am not sure why more teams do not make use of it more often.

Elliot and the NZ slow bowlers put on a clinic. Anderson was parsimonious and McClenahan got an early wicket. It was a dream bowling performance for NZ bowling Bangladesh out for 70. It was just entirely comprehensive. What can anyone say about that? Sodhi wrecked havoc. NcCullum looked like he had never left the team. Elliot got 3 wickets he deserved many games ago and his leg cutters and knuckle balls bamboozled the batsmen. 4 overs, 12 runs, 3 wickets. What can you say about the team's 6th bowling option? He is a very underrated player by NZ fans and I rate him highly in ODI and T20 cricket. Him and Anderson given this team so much balance and depth in batting and bowling.

McClenahan bowled the perfect cutter, one that Mustafizur would be proud of. Santner was excellent. So was NcCullum. What further praise can NZ say about its spinners? 4 games in a row now in this tournament (plus their odi games against Australia). It appears that it is just a case of another day at the office for these guys. If so, NZ has made a break through in spin bowling post Vettori, they're not only parsimonious - they take wickets! Sodhi cashed in with 3 wickets. It was his turn. But all the slow guys built the pressure between themselves, all 4 of them NcCullum, Santner, Sodhi and Elliot. They're a combined and effective unit. They were brilliant today. KW read the match well today and kept Mitch McClenahan and Anderson off during the middle overs post powerplay (despite Mitch's his first over going 1-3 and Anderson 2 overs going for just 7). He just let the 4 slow guys wreck havoc and starved the batsman from any pace.

Mitchell McClenahan sure is developing his boundary hitting against the best bowlers in the world quite nicely. Very impressed. His boundary hitting may see him promoted in the order during the sloggy death overs ahead of NcCullum in the foreseeable future. A reminder of what he did to Pakistan earlier in the year; http://www.espncricinfo.com/newzealand/engine/match/914227.html

Most the talk against NZ in the semi finals will be how to counter NZ's bowling, and plan an attack against the pace options as well as the highly successful at this tournament slow bowling options; the spin twins Murali Santner and Shane Sodhi, NcCullum should he play, and even the medium pace of Elliot will be drawing a lot of attention now in batting meetings now with bowling leg cutters effective as Afridi's leg spin in turning off the pitch.

I sure hope Corey Anderson is not injured. He is key to the NZ team's balance. NZ's chances of making the final or better significantly diminish if he cannot take the field and bowl.
Last edited by Paddles on Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:05 am

That game is like stealing candy from kids

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:52 pm

Disappointing for NZ to bow out in the semi finals of the T20. Two full tosses from Stokes to Ronchi and Anderson could have resulted in such a different match than what occurred. But that is cricket. NZ will not play any more T20's until January next year, so there is no point in doing a critical post mortum on where the team is at so as to improve.

On the positives, Santner and Sodhi really stood up game after game with the ball. NZ will be well placed for Santner to tour India later in year in tests and ODI, and Sodhi while being a sure started for the ODIs may be in test squad and squeeze all rounder Todd Astle out of touring. Ajaz Patel, Mark Craig and Todd Astle will all be hoping for a place in that touring squad, with the latter two having much superior batsmanship.

In late July there is an African tour, of 2 tests against Zimbabwe and South Africa. And NZ will need a respectable series against South Africa to prove that NZ is still a competitive test nation despite 4 losses home and away to Australia this past season. On this point, the right players need to be selected. South Africa are also set to have a long break, with just a 2 week ODI tri series in the Windies between now and the NZ tests, but it is likely NZ will run into a rested, refreshed, and all player back available from injury South African team that will be seeking to return to the top.

On that note, Jeet Raval scored 147 yesterday, to bring up a 1000 runs for the season, including his NZ A runs made against SL A. Bharat Popli has also scored over a 1000 runs for the season. I will be astonished if Jeet Raval is not taken to Africa. He has a career FC average over 44 runs now with 14 centuries. His career record is now standing head and shoulders above his peers, playing for NZ, let alone those merely selected for tours ahead of him.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:16 pm

Misty_Green wrote:http://www.cricketcountry.com/news/grant-elliott-announces-retirement-from-odi-cricket-425765
Well NZ will missed him

Thanks Misty. I will continue this here because Going South seems to be quite emotional and antsy today, and deleted your thread, and looking to pick a fight with me about "negativity". I hope it has nothing to do with India losing last night because that would be pathetic of him to take out on others in this way.

Grant Elliot had a fine little ODI career for NZ, but only of more recent times the consistency that his talent promised. A closer inspection of his stats revals his true quality and value as an allrounder, where he regularly performed against better bowling attacks. As a bowler, his value is often overlooked, because he typically was a 6th bowler, this means that he bowled more when the the rest of the attack was being bashed, in the hardest conditions. His job was to quell the heavy scoring - and at 5~6 runs an over, he did just that and often snagged wickets to boot. As an allrounder, his contribution to the team in recent years has been outstanding, with a lot of good overs, and a lot of good runs.

Unfortunately for NZC fans, he played a starring role, with the ball, in the fairly lucarative, by NZC standards, PSL (which this summer clashed only with NZC tests), which next season will clash with a full home schedule. He was immediately re-sought to play this competition.

This is just a continuation of the small teams losing its players to the T20 franchise cricket boom.

But the hairy javellin will long be loved in NZ, and his 6 off Dale Steyn to win the semi final of the 2015 cricket world cup, will long remain in NZ folklore. As will his craftiness as a 'dibbly dobbly' bowler. He was a well noted 'needler' in the field and was often, unsurprisingly, in the mix of the folklore stories. He was hard man to keep out of the action with wither his batting, bowling or quips.

There is no seam up ready replacement, though Jimmy Neesham will fancy his chances, a better batsman than Neesh with a cool head like Grunter is probably required. There are spin replacement options, but with Sodhi and Santner, and KW in the team, this area is well stocked. It is a shame, I would have liked to see Grunter play in India later this year.

But he can proud of a career that saw a great tour of Straya in 2008/9 against Johnson, Hilfenhaus and Bracken, 70 odd on an ICC semi final v Amir and Pakistan on a dreadful Safrican pitch, 83* off 74 v Safrica in a WC semi final and 82 off 81 in a WC final v Australia in Australia. Another 50 in the series deciding Chappell Hadlee in Bmac's farewell game just further demonstrates what a valuable player the Jav is to the NZ team.

Certainly some great career highlights.
Last edited by Paddles on Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:34 pm

Sorry if came on antsy today earlier, unconditional apologies.

I do remember this one. He is 37 year old & not everyone is a tendulkar or Jayasuriya

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/arti ... d=11611068

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:54 am

And a big congratulations to Kane Williamson, who has just been named Wisden's Lead Cricketer in the World.

Brendon McCullum also received an honour of being one of the 5 Wisden cricketers of the year, with KW, Steve Smith, Johnny Bairstow and Ben Stokes.

Kane Williamson shares the honour and takes further steps to joining previous great cricketers Ricky Ponting, Shane Warne, Mutiah Muralitharan, Kumar Sangakarra, Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, Jacques Kallis and Dale Steyn.

KW was given the award for his performances in all formats of the game in 2015. The timing of the award is humorous given he cannot get a start at the Sunrisers. It is also a bit of a knock at the ICC ODI team for 2015 that omitted him (for Steve Smith) in what can only be described as a ridiculous decision.

Ben Stokes is on the cover of Wisden for 2016, that will hopefully cheer him up.

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:27 am

:D and you get to rub it into me.. :D

No still morgan is a better player :D

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:30 am

Striped Lungi wrote::D and you get to rub it into me.. :D

No still morgan is a better player :D

Maybe in a sexual conquest sense, but not in a cricketing sense.

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:38 am

I never had sex with that man. morgan.

imagine me wagging my finger like bill clinton

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:51 am

Striped Lungi wrote:I never had sex with that man. morgan.

imagine me wagging my finger like bill clinton

That is easy, I'm having more difficulty imagining Morgan acting like Lewinsky and claiming that you had had.

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:53 am

Lends credibility to my claim.. works for me.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:33 pm

This page fits the heading "land of long white cloud" sounds more like gay porn!

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:53 am

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:04 am

OH me.. oh my.. oh dear dear.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:38 am

No. Tommy Hilfigger or not, these outfits are just wrong. David Warner was also dressed to look a fool. Shikar Dharwan however, came out of the photoshoot rather unscathed in a tidy looking outfit. Perhaps a case of first up best dressed, maybe Dhawan has to face the first ball in the next game. Boulty, those pants are terrible.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:35 pm

And a big congratulations to Neil Wagner, who has just commenced County Cricket by breaking records.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11624354http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11624354

WAGs managed to get 6/66 on debut for Lancashire, the best for a debutant since 1923 when Alfred Hall took 6/23.

More importantly, Wagner managed to get the ball swinging and says that he is fond of the duke ball.

Pity he was dropped for the tour of England last year by NZ. That said, good to see he is still putting pressure on Boult, Southee and Henry, even in the off season with a tour of Africa at the end of winter to look forward to, where the out of sorts Kiwi bowlers will be up against the might of Morkel, Steyn, Philander, Abbott, Morris and Rabada.

[edit] WAG's took another 5 in the second innings to finish with 11 for the match. 'atta Boy Neil.
Last edited by Paddles on Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:35 am

More Chappell Hadlee

Australia has modified its FTP schedule to include more Chappel Hadlee series between itself and NZ.

Instead of NZ touring Australia in February as originally planned, Australia will host a Chappel Hadlee series in December, after South Africa test series and presumably before Pakistan's tour commences.

Then, in a bonus for NZC, Australia will tour NZ in February to play a return series.

There is a commitment by both nations to play 6 series in 4 years.

It may be "only ODI cricket" but this is a good thing for NZC development in obtaining fans and generating interest in the game in NZ.

Interestingly, the extra series has come at the expense of 3 T20 matches in Australia which appear to have been axed. The timing of the 3 T20 would have clashed with the BBL's kick off, but it does send a strong message about Australia and NZ's continued lack of interest in advancing T20I cricket at the expense of ODIs.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/cricket/news/article.cfm?c_id=29&objectid=11625674

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Thu May 12, 2016 7:57 am

Congrats to NZ cricket team being ranked #1 in T20 format.

Verity
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Verity » Thu May 12, 2016 8:04 am

Paddles wrote:Congrats to NZ cricket team being ranked #1 in T20 format.

Cmon now, rankings mean nothing, there not the best T20 team around.
Go to Live Games Forum to take part in "I hold a gun to your head" Games.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Thu May 12, 2016 9:20 am

Verity wrote:
Paddles wrote:Congrats to NZ cricket team being ranked #1 in T20 format.

Cmon now, rankings mean nothing, there not the best T20 team around.

Taste it. Only lost one game at the World T20 :) Only team to match that was West Indies. :D

I do wish it was a proper format of the game, though. Still #2 in ODI despite beating Aus in last ODI series. And #5 in tests, so still some ground to climb where NZ was last winter.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Thu May 12, 2016 9:43 am

How's Ryder getting on, Paddles? Being selected yet? One fifty and I think four wickets in the CC over five games isn't brilliant......

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Thu May 12, 2016 7:28 pm

BoyCaught30 wrote:How's Ryder getting on, Paddles? Being selected yet? One fifty and I think four wickets in the CC over five games isn't brilliant......

Yes a slow start for Jesse to county cricket this year. NZ have no tours for months away yet, but there are African and Indian tours later in the year. Jesse has a good record v India and in India as well. Good player of spin is ol' Jesse. Lets hope he finds some runs and wickets well before those teams are named.

Form is temporary, class is permanent, he's not out of form just of runs and wickets, yadda yadda. :)

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Fri May 13, 2016 5:33 pm

Shame you haven't joined the county IHAG

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Fri May 13, 2016 8:10 pm

BoyCaught30 wrote:Shame you haven't joined the county IHAG

Because Jesse is performing poorly at present ,and that'd cost me points or in general because you miss me?

If the latter I'll be more regular when there is international cricket on. I just got bored of the IPL and reading GoingSouth's opinion on it.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Sat May 14, 2016 5:16 am

Lol the latter, you'd pick an interesting team. Plus I wanted as many participants as possible

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Sat May 14, 2016 6:20 pm

That's a good idea.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:52 am

Today Luke Ronchi found himself a specialist test batting position. :(

Return to “General Cricket Discussion Forum”