Land of the Long White Cloud - NZ Cricket thread

This is the forum for discussion of all cricketing issues and news. Here you will find frank analysis and opinion on subjects ranging from selection policies, favourite cricketers and match post-mortems right through to dressing room and cricket board fiascos.
GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Cash on hand: Locked
Swaziland

Re: Land of the Long White Cloud - NZ Cricket thread

Postby GpeL » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:30 pm

Going South wrote:Use Chopsticks. Duh!

THAT would be some sight!! I want a video uploaded here.. a noodle being handled err.. chopstickled by an expert!! THAT I think would score a billion hits on Youtube.

err..would that be chopsticked or chopstickled?

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Bank: Locked

Postby Paddles » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:06 pm

As another round of domestic first class matches is halfway through, it is apparent that fringe NZ bowlers are batting higher in the order.

Scotty Kuggelijn batted at 7, and the innings declared when he had knocked off another 70 odd not out. He was 71 off only 78 balls. He is certainly having a year to remember with the bat.

Mark Craig was lifted to 7 for Otago, but failed with 9 comming into bat where the top order had put some runs on the board. This did not harm his bowling, as he took 4-40 and cut through the Canterbury innings which died at 180. Batting for Canterbury was Todd Astle at 6, who was run out without facing a ball.

While these 3 players are within selection frame, it has not been a good start for the batsmen. Guptill Jnr made his first first class century, but Raval only made 20 odd. Ben Smith made 8. Will Young again displayed he struggles to convert with an 80 odd, thus still only has 2 FC centuries. Tom Bruce made a breezy 80 odd, and it must be said that he is finding things rather to his liking in top level domestic cricket. Popli made 25 and Brownlie made 57.

Ajaz Patel gets another 6 fer, and this time for less than 150, for a mere 117. But still noone is tearing the door down to claim their spot in the NZ test team. Jamieson had okay returns with Nuttall not playing for Canterbury. Hopefully Kuggelijn rips through the Wellington team tomorrow.

So Kuggelijn comfortably, as a seamer with a low bowling, sits on top of the wicket takers list for everyone, averaging less than 25 with the ball, and over 50 with the bat. Pretty impressive.
If any moderator or administrator is able to add Going South to my foe list, I would greatly appreciate it.

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:21 pm

Paddles.. brave warrior.. you are reviving a long forgotten historical battle.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:30 pm

Striped Lungi wrote:Paddles.. brave warrior.. you are reviving a long forgotten historical battle.

The season isn't even over!

There are two more rounds after this one.
If any moderator or administrator is able to add Going South to my foe list, I would greatly appreciate it.

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:40 pm

But katto seems to be spent..

Some one send him a tanker of gatorade.. Katto.. fuel up mon.. come on.. the world is looking up to you in anticipation.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:05 pm

Striped Lungi wrote:But katto seems to be spent..

Some one send him a tanker of gatorade.. Katto.. fuel up mon.. come on.. the world is looking up to you in anticipation.

I'm sick of cricket
its been a long season down under.

I cant get excited about the "WordT20" which too many people insist on calling a "World Cup" and thus whoever wins shall be labeled "World Champions" for winning a handful of hit n giggles. :ravi:

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:39 pm

You need not dicuss or start a war over cricket.. Noodles will do splendidly for example.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:58 pm

Striped Lungi wrote:You need not dicuss or start a war over cricket.. Noodles will do splendidly for example.

:lol: noodles

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:27 pm

If that is not serious enough.. you pick a worthwhile topic..the idea is to discuss.. or fight.. that is all..

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:58 pm

Striped Lungi wrote:If that is not serious enough.. you pick a worthwhile topic..the idea is to discuss.. or fight.. that is all..

cant be bothered.

I have too much on my plate at the moment

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:36 pm

Would potatoes work for the interim?

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:15 pm

Striped Lungi wrote:Would potatoes work for the interim?

Thats what I had for dinner

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:24 am

Great news for Jeet Raval fans, he has just clobbered his 13th FC century.

Is he on the selector's radar now? Or does he wait to score one more century this season and then do a media campaign?

(A Patel has 5-138 to go with his 6 for in the first innings.)

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:44 pm

I was already a fan of elevating Munro and Anderson up the order, but for all the doubters:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/971695.html

Yes. When Munro departed ater 14.2 overs, NZ already had scored over 150 runs.

Munro with 67 off 34 balls with 7 sixes, and Anderson with 60 off 29 balls with 5 sixes, absolutely smashed it.

Anderson then opened the bowling to further success. Milne was as much of a scroogely miser as ever, and Southee found some form.

Comprehensive 74 run demolition job by NZ, NZ post 226, with Guptill, Munro, Anderson and Elliot getting runs at a good clip. The bowlers restrict Sri Lanka to 152. Annihilation job. No Malinga in the match, though.

Well done Mike. The question will linger whether KW is best suited to opening the innings, though. But against good opening seam bowlers, and for now, as long as Guptill realises he has to gun it, it is paying dividends.

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:50 pm

isn't KW the skipper? where do you think he should be coming in?

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:09 pm

Striped Lungi wrote:isn't KW the skipper? where do you think he should be coming in?

He is the skipper. He is also ranked one of the best T20 players.

Against good new ball attacks, I like the idea of him opening, as long as Guptill looks to go big and early.

The whole point of moving Munro and Anderson up the order, is to maximise their high SR ability. They're not to be left not out, nor are they to being playing the silly final couple of overs role.

KW's role is to play long and give stability to the innings when Guptill, Munro and Anderson all fail and leave NZ 3/20 or 3/30.

What is not ideal, against weak new ball attacks, is for KW to eat into deliveries that these guys could clobber.

I'll give you the best example. India has an awful new ball attack, good to excellent spinners and a fantastic batting line up. Combined, India as a team are tournament favourites. What is NZ's best chance to win that game? Is it not KW playing the spinners with Anderson going big at the other end after Munro and Guptil destroy the new ball seamers?

Now, against sides with a potent new ball threat, KW opening makes sense - as displayed against Amir of Pakistan recently. But not every side does. it is a rare example, and NZ's first game against India makes it more relevant, but the first 6 overs are "powerplay" - I am not sure everyone would agree that KW is the best batsman to cash in for that circumstance - but I do understand Hesson's plan. But it requires Guptill to acknowledge he has the McCullum role now.

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:24 am

BCCI having an awful new ball attack is an understatement.. with the likes of pissant and ummmmmesh, we literally have NO new ball attack and of late, ass-win has been ensconced to chuck the cherry.. I don't know if that was a joke or an intentional insult to the pie throwers but strangely it worked.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:39 am

Striped Lungi wrote:BCCI having an awful new ball attack is an understatement.. with the likes of pissant and ummmmmesh, we literally have NO new ball attack and of late, ass-win has been ensconced to chuck the cherry.. I don't know if that was a joke or an intentional insult to the pie throwers but strangely it worked.

Well it can work at home if the prepared pitches are Bunsen burner's for him, but Ashwin is a fine exponent of off spin bowling. Despite his difficulties in Australia recently in the 50 over stuff.

He is a fine all round cricketer in fact. I am a fan.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:39 am

Striped Lungi wrote:BCCI having an awful new ball attack is an understatement.. with the likes of pissant and ummmmmesh, we literally have NO new ball attack and of late, ass-win has been ensconced to chuck the cherry.. I don't know if that was a joke or an intentional insult to the pie throwers but strangely it worked.

Well it can work at home if the prepared pitches are Bunsen burner's for him, but Ashwin is an excellent exponent of off spin bowling. Despite his difficulties in Australia recently in the 50 over stuff.

He is a fine all round cricketer in fact. I am a fan.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:44 am

Congratulations Paddles! Your order of merit is in the mail.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:34 am

Katto wrote:Congratulations Paddles! Your order of merit is in the mail.

Another medal? I'll look like a third world military dictator in formal dress soon.

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:44 am

Katto I did not know you run a mail order service for medals.. can I have a few myself please?

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:52 pm

Striped Lungi wrote:Katto I did not know you run a mail order service for medals.. can I have a few myself please?

Lungi, he never said it was mail order; he said the order of merit would be delivered by mail.

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:57 pm

But he used those two words.. mail and order.. and you threw in a medal.. and I threw in a service.. that is fair I think for people aspiring for medals.

besides I do not mind looking like a third world despot.. heck I wouldn't mind looking like a forth world one either.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:11 pm

The latest update is that Henry Nicholls, is still batting like a turd.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/971699.html

Hopefully NZ cricket fans will not have to suffer him continue to bat like a turd for too long. If he cannot improve quick smart, then we have better players.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/newzealand/content/player/539511.html

On the sad side, Ronchi is still out of form. This tournament could well be his international career farewell. He did a lot in a couple of good seasons.

On the positive side, KW got some runs at a fair clip, but more importantly Santner and NcCullum applied the brakes. With Sodhi starring against Sri Lanka, it would appear that the team to play India should be the following:

Guptill
KW 7
Munro 8
Anderson 2
Taylor (out of form but class)
Elliot 6
Ronchi (out of form but Nicholls is the reserve spud)
Santner 4
NcCullum/Sodhi 5
Milne 3 (I would be tempted to bat this lad higher)
Boult/Southee 1

Drinks: Mitch McClenahan

That looks a fair team capable of upsets on their day. Now Sodhi took 2/19 against Sri Lanka and outbowled Santner. Santner bowled well against England, as did NcCullum. Sodhi is the weakest bat of the 3, and Santner the best fielder. So it will be interesting whether NcCullum is chosen for experience, or Sodhi for his recent form including a good effort in ODI against Straya; or whether Santner misses out - unlikely as he is a golden boy; but possible.

Sodhi's limited batting in limited overs is not that relevant because Milne is a quality 8 or 9 batsman anyway. There is a lot of batting in that tail. And with 2 test 50's and 8 FC 50's - he will likely improve one day soon.
Last edited by Paddles on Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:12 pm

Striped Lungi wrote:But he used those two words.. mail and order.. and you threw in a medal.. and I threw in a service.. that is fair I think for people aspiring for medals.

besides I do not mind looking like a third world despot.. heck I wouldn't mind looking like a forth world one either.

Fourth world? Where is that? Mars?

Only 3 worlds on earth :P

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:16 pm

The underworld..

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:17 pm

Striped Lungi wrote:The underworld..

Please, it as about as relevant as Waterworld.

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:42 pm

The world is.. the medals are not! Imagine walking around with those round pieces of shiny metal all over one's body..

(Imagine playing kabbadi with all that on.. and of course your underwear).

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:51 pm

Striped Lungi wrote:The world is.. the medals are not! Imagine walking around with those round pieces of shiny metal all over one's body..

(Imagine playing kabbadi with all that on.. and of course your underwear).

I would rather be forced out on a date with Katto, than play Kabbaddi.

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:00 pm

Katto take him out.. he will change his mind I am sure.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:27 pm

Striped Lungi wrote:Katto take him out.. he will change his mind I am sure.

:clap;

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:00 pm

Going on date & kabbadi both are contact sports unlike cricket.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:40 pm

Going South wrote:Going on date & kabbadi both are contact sports unlike cricket.

You're dating Katto the wrong way then.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:56 pm

You mean two guys going on date? Wrong "way" indeed

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:57 pm

Is there any 'other' way?

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:58 pm

I have no idea. Ask "P"addles, as he is the one that went on a date with katto.

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:29 pm

That question was for Paddles.. I forgot to quote him and we both replied at the same time and unfortunately, I replied a few seconds late perhaps :D

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:45 pm

Striped Lungi wrote:Is there any 'other' way?

Yeah - tell him to keep his filthy paws to himself and order the lobster at his expense.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:46 pm

Going South wrote:I have no idea. Ask "P"addles, as he is the one that went on a date with katto.

Well now you're just making stuff up. :nana:

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:08 am

Paddles wrote:
Striped Lungi wrote:Is there any 'other' way?

Yeah - tell him to keep his filthy paws to himself and order the lobster at his expense.

Lobsters? who buys the drinks then?

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:15 am

Striped Lungi wrote:
Paddles wrote:

Lobsters? who buys the drinks then?

He does. One bill. No splitting the cost. And no drinks afterwards. Cya.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Land of the Long White Cloud - NZ Cricket thread

Postby Going South » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:08 pm

Sounds like a one-night-stand. Katto might come back after 9 months with a court ordered paternity test.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:00 pm

Going South wrote:Sounds like a one-night-stand. Katto might come back after 9 months with a court ordered paternity test.

Well there would certainly be no consent given nor implied from my end 9 months prior. If Katto wins any subsequent paternity victory, Katto could well be facing a much bigger problem.

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:22 pm

From lobster to paternity.. this is going somewhere interesting.. lets explore further..

So katto buys the lobsters and drinks and still has to keep his hands off (at least until a consent or an implied consent)..

This seems like one of those movies I saw long ago.. can't remember the name.. julia roberts and a dude in a boat..

And GS you are hiding something.. come out with it.. you can trust us.. we are all friends here.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:09 pm

I am a spy under BCCI payroll that shadow shady Aussie/NZ fans to find out "weakness" so as to arrange rave parties accordingly on the night before the match days. English cricketers are not invited though as they pissed around in the open last time.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:01 pm

Striped Lungi wrote:From lobster to paternity.. this is going somewhere interesting.. lets explore further..

So katto buys the lobsters and drinks and still has to keep his hands off (at least until a consent or an implied consent)..

This seems like one of those movies I saw long ago.. can't remember the name.. julia roberts and a dude in a boat..

And GS you are hiding something.. come out with it.. you can trust us.. we are all friends here.

It was Demi Moore - sexier than Julia Roberts, the dude is Robert Redford...

You have your classical English literature but I'm good on pop culture.

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:04 pm

Was it demi.. I am not a movie buff.. except Jurrasic park kinds of Sherk kinds.. (old ones yes.. not the ones coming of late at all).. might as well watch porn..

Yup you are right I am sort of old fashioned I guess.. I just cannot tolerate this new found ideas that fall under 'liberalism'..

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:07 pm

Striped Lungi wrote:Was it demi.. I am not a movie buff.. except Jurrasic park kinds of Sherk kinds.. (old ones yes.. not the ones coming of late at all).. might as well watch porn..

Yup you are right I am sort of old fashioned I guess.. I just cannot tolerate this new found ideas that fall under 'liberalism'..

I watched the remake of Point Break the other night. I had a fair idea before watching it that they were going to ruin the plot, but the extreme sports action sequences were well the watch for mine.

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:12 pm

Yeah some flicks are good esp if they need special effects and such.. but imagine watching a remake of The day of the jackal or the Ten Commandments.. (May be the latter would have a better red sea parting but still cannot beat Heston I think or Yul Brynner!).. I mean the new ones are just so not that engrossing at all. There was art then.. that has vanished and given way to CGI graphics now.

Return to “General Cricket Discussion Forum”