Cricket World Cup 2019

This is the forum for discussion of all cricketing issues and news. Here you will find frank analysis and opinion on subjects ranging from selection policies, favourite cricketers and match post-mortems right through to dressing room and cricket board fiascos.
Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
Cash on hand: Locked
United Kingdom

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Daanav » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:28 pm

givemeahug786 wrote:indian 15 player for world cup

https://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/1 ... -world-cup

Rahul
V.Shankar
Jadeja
D.Kartik
Dhoni
Kuldeep
Shami
Bhuvneshwar
Bumrah
Dhawan
Rohit
Kohli (c)
Hardik Pandya
Kedar jadhav
Y.Chahal

Well, I got 13 out of 15 right in my above prediction 2 days ago. DK instead of Pant Understandable) and Shankar instead of Chahar - not sure about that. Sharkar can bat of course but his bowling is slightly better than non-existent. That means India have only 4 pace options and one of them is an all-rounder. Pandya's batting might come in handy in the World Cup but not sure of his bowling on English wickets.

If they play Bhuvi, Shami and of course the Bum, IMO Shami should do the death bowling with the Bum and not Bhuvi.

I wonder if India would consider something off the wall like getting Pandya or Jadeja to open Narine style with Rahul or Dhawan and getting Rohit Sharma at #4 after Kohli?

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:39 pm

Jadeja ? Meh. I think he is past his expiry date. Tuk tuk cricketer. Can’t win matches.

Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
United Kingdom

Postby Daanav » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:38 pm

I am still not comfortable with Rohit Sharma as an opener. He has forced himself into that position and despite some successes, I have this nagging feeling that he'll get out early in crucial games. But they will surely put him in #1.

The problem is the team lacks flexibility if you have to shoehorn 2 top spinners into the final XI.

1. Rohit Sharma
2. Shikar Dhawan
3. K L Rahul
4. Virat Kohli
5. Dhoni or DK
6. Kedar Jadhav or Vijay Shankar
7. Hardik Pandya (or Ravi Jadeja on spin-friendly wickets)
8. Bhuvi Kumar
9. Mohammed Shami or Kuldeep Yadav (Depending on the type of wicket)
10.Y Chahal
11.Jasprit Bumrah

The issue is that unlike in the T20 format, a team cannot afford to have a long tail in the 50-over game. Pandya and Jadeja are all rounders and both cannot be accommodated in the XI. Either can bat at #7 and the choice would be on the type of wicket. Of the specialsit bowlers, Bhuvi can bat at #8 in an ODI and for #9 Shami might be able to strike a few blows. From a batting perspective, K Yadav, Chahal and Bumrah are rabbits or will be under English conditions.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Bank: Locked
India

Postby Paddles » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:54 pm

Australia’s World Cup squad: Aaron Finch ©, Jason Behrendorff, Alex Carey (wk), Nathan Coulter-Nile, Pat Cummins, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Jhye Richardson, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Marcus Stoinis, David Warner, Adam Zampa

So Australia leave out Handscomb and have no reserve keeper at all. Interesting strategy. SA is relying on Miller to glove man in an emegency. Eng have no issue with Buttler Bairstow.

I think if Carey gets injured for 3 or 4 games, Aussie will just send him home and bring Wade in from the A squad. Better than losing a batting spare – that's pretty smart given Carey is not exactly killing it like Gilchrist.

1 Finch © 2 Khawaja 3 Warner (in whatever order) 4 Smith/SMarsh
5 Stoinis 6 Maxwell
7 Carey
8 Pat
9 Starc
10 Jhye/Dorf/NCN/Lyon
11 Zampa

Virat Kohli©, Rohit Sharma, Shikhar Dhawan, Kedar Jadhav, MS Dhoni, Hardik Pandya, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Shami, Kuldeep Yadav, Yuzvendra Chahal, KL Rahul, Vijay Shankar, Dinesh Karthik, Ravindra Jadeja

Rayudu gets axed. I'm not surprised to see no Pant. Karthik is the better gloveman, but I think Karthik's best days are rarer with the bat now. Rahul is more the capable for an odd game anyway being an IPL wicket keeper most years now. Dhoni was always going to be the #1 keeper due to his on-field captaincy. If you have a closer look, Kohli spends the last 20 overs down at long on and long off and Dhoni is in total charge of bowler rotation and field setting the entire game seemingly.

This is a massive rise for Shankar. He looks talented with the bat – and while his bowling is bog ordinary, at least its something seam up to contribute in an emergency or Hardik getting injured.

1 Rohit 2 Shikar 3 Kohli 4 Shankar/Rahul 5 Dhoni 6 Jadhav 7 Hardik 8 Kuldeep 9 Chahal 10 Shami/BK 11 Bumrah

Jadeja may play ahread of Chahal to lengthen the batting and improve the fielding. Krunal must be a lil miffed.

Doesn't matter how India try to plug it, they have a hole at 4. Its been years since Yuvi got sick – they still havn't solved it. And with Hardik at 7 – India's middle can fall away really fast with only Jadhav starring of late as Dhoni declines.

I don't think its the right move to drop Kohli down the order to 4. At all. You want to give him the best opportunity to bat a lot of overs. He's too good.
Last edited by Paddles on Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Your inclination to assume and contradict is typical of Narcissism which is nothing about being pretty like the Narcissus fable."

HAHA!

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:57 pm

H pandya can move up to #4 slot

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby Paddles » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:59 pm

Going South wrote:H pandya can move up to #4 slot

Bazinga :)

Tbf - it's India's only hole is the weak middle, esp at 4. They can make the tail solid if they want with Jadeja at 8 and BK at 9.

But Jadhav has been great. I expect him to continue on his merry way. I'm surprised they don't try promoting him to 4 or 5.

The seam attack is its best ever, the spin attack is going great guns and may one day be deemed its best ever.

The top 3 are magnificent. Jadav is an ace. Dhoni even with less batting is still a brilliant strategist in the field. India fans must like their chances.

Meanwhile NZ is sending a very sad bowling attack, CdG and Munro, and while solid, a slow scoring top order.

I don't know how the NZ bowling attack got so sad. This time last world cup, it was on fire. Absolute fire. Now its just dire.

NZ needed to form the bowling unit around Scott Kuggeleijn to work this into a good one. They missed a golden opportunity.
"Your inclination to assume and contradict is typical of Narcissism which is nothing about being pretty like the Narcissus fable."

HAHA!

Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
United Kingdom

Postby Daanav » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:40 pm

Paddles wrote:
Doesn't matter how India try to plug it, they have a hole at 4. I don't think its the right move to drop Kohli down the order to 4. At all. You want to give him the best opportunity to bat a lot of overs. He's too good.

I agree with the hole at #4 but Rayudu was never the man to fill it. He has NOT international standard - never was.

But while Kohli definitely needs to open or come in at #3 in T20 games, #4 is perfectly fine in 50 over games. In fact, might even be better if he gets a chance to watch how the ball is moving and gets to talk to the first man getting out. But if they insist on having Kohli at #3, then my idea of getting Rahul and Dhawan to open with Rohit Sharma at #4 will solve the problem. The keeper at #5 followed by Kedar Jadhav or Vijay Shankar (either of whom can act as a risky 6th bowling option). #7 has to be Pandya or Jadeja with Bhuvi at#8. If you drop Bhuvi then both Pandya and Jadeja must be included at #7 and #8 with Shami, Chahal/Yadav and Bumrah to follow.

India MUST have at least 3 pacemen going into any game and on some wickets like Headingley, even 4. Over reliance on spin in England will definitely backfire big-time.

In a T20 game, opposing batsmen do not have much time to get used to a spin bowler under the prevailing conditions and that's why in most cases the spinner's first 2 overs or so effective. If the same batsman is at the crease, usually they score more freely off the next 2 overs. But in a 50-over game, the batsman has better opportunity to get used to a spinner and still have sufficient of his overs left to slog later. The logistics work differently in a 50-over game.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby Paddles » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:06 pm

Daanav wrote:
Paddles wrote:
Doesn't matter how India try to plug it, they have a hole at 4. I don't think its the right move to drop Kohli down the order to 4. At all. You want to give him the best opportunity to bat a lot of overs. He's too good.

I agree with the hole at #4 but Rayudu was never the man to fill it. He has NOT international standard - never was.

But while Kohli definitely needs to open or come in at #3 in T20 games, #4 is perfectly fine in 50 over games. In fact, might even be better if he gets a chance to watch how the ball is moving and gets to talk to the first man getting out. But if they insist on having Kohli at #3, then my idea of getting Rahul and Dhawan to open with Rohit Sharma at #4 will solve the problem.

Rohit is only a threat when he bats 40+ overs. Moving either Kohli or Rohit when they're among or the best in their position, and then bat after more wickets fallen or less time seems counter-intuitive to me.

Daanav wrote:The keeper at #5 followed by Kedar Jadhav or Vijay Shankar (either of whom can act as a risky 6th bowling option).

Jadhav has to be a lock. I'd play both unless Rahul suddenly looks like he can handle the middle order.

Daanav wrote: #7 has to be Pandya or Jadeja with Bhuvi at#8.
Jadeja can easily slot into 8. You just lose Chahal.

Daanav wrote: If you drop Bhuvi then both Pandya and Jadeja must be included at #7 and #8 with Shami, Chahal/Yadav and Bumrah to follow.

Shami has been impressive of late. I think BK is in a fight where he is now relying on batting.

Daanav wrote:India MUST have at least 3 pacemen going into any game and on some wickets like Headingley, even 4. Over reliance on spin in England will definitely backfire big-time.

Shami, Hardik, and Bumra is 3. If SHankar bats 4 you can get a few early overs between 10 and 20 out of him nicely. As for over-reliance on spin, the England team has been reliant on spin at home since 2015. Their whole bowling plan revolves around Ali and Rashid. When Stokes was injured/court/etc, they replaced him with Hales and Root bowled giving England 3 spin options.

Here's Headingly since 2015, you'll see spin has done fine with Ali and Rashid doing very well, and taken the most wickets. Even Duminy as a second spinner had a good day. England won all 4 games and played 2 spinners.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... pe=bowling

Look at the scorecards and its confirmed:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1137 ... eland-2015 (Moeen motm - Duminy okay)

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1137 ... eland-2015 (Ali had a great day, Maxwell a good one)

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1801 ... n-eng-2018 (TOTAL SPIN DOMINANCE BOTH teams - England and India)

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8499 ... f-eng-2016 (Pak destroyed by spin of Rash and Mo - Wasim does his job)

Teams really need to pay attention to modern England conditions.

Daanav wrote:In a T20 game, opposing batsmen do not have much time to get used to a spin bowler under the prevailing conditions and that's why in most cases the spinner's first 2 overs or so effective. If the same batsman is at the crease, usually they score more freely off the next 2 overs. But in a 50-over game, the batsman has better opportunity to get used to a spinner and still have sufficient of his overs left to slog later. The logistics work differently in a 50-over game.

I don't know what you're trying to claim here. I watch and follow far more 50 over cricket than t20. But I don't see any of this is relevant as against a seam bowler. I watch and follow a lot of England cricket as I support them ;)

England used Rashid as a death bowling option more and more. Moeen bowls earlier, Rashid later. Root sometimes bowls first over at the end of the powerplay. The point is, England has been winning at home with 2 front line spinners, and uses Root whenever Stokes is out (who is replaced with Hales). Spin to win is very much a valid way to go in England. Its certainly not Wood's heavy ball.

The reality is, the game has changed in England since 2015. Drastically. The pitches are flatter, its a kookaburra ball, and spin get through those middle overs, and even become a valid and great back end death option if a wrist spinner. Pak will play Imad and Shadhab both. Bet ya. NZ will think about it but probably get too nervous about a long tail and having Neesham having to bowl more early overs. But its on the cards. SA won't - and they keep losing there... despite having the champion stable of endless fast bowling talent. They've been getting smashed in England in ODI. Maharaj took 3 wickets the 1 game they did win in 2017 vs England, and Tahir 4 in their win over SL. Pak beat them with double spin there, India beat them with double spin there. And England beat them with double spin there.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... ew=innings

This won't be test match conditions like in the least. Its a lame kookaburra ball on roads. Spinners can take the pace off the ball and stem the scoring. Want to take them on, do so, but it gives the opportunity for wickets.

HAHA!

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:39 am

1) Looking at the BCCI squad again, I think they missed a trick by not picking Prithvi Shaw.
Rahul is lucky to be in the squad, after his disastrous tour last year.
Thing is, he has been found out - so every reason to believe he will be exposed again.
Unless he has worked on it, and sorted out his weakness.

But then he's only a back-up opener, if either Dhawan or Rohit fail badly.
Hopefully they won't.

2) While Vijay Shankar has impressed me of late with his SR, I've only ever seen cameos from him.
If he's batting as high as #4 in a 50-over game, he'll have to do a lot better than cameos.
He has to start thinking in terms of 70+ scores at an SR of at least 125.
I'm still not convinced - but that's also partly cos he has stolen Pant's spot.
And I do rate Pant - he's more than capable of getting a 70+ score.
And he'd do that at an SR of 140.

I disagree with MSK Prasad's statement that Pant or Karthik would come into the team only if Dhoni can't play.
Pant is worth taking a punt on - purely as a batsman.

3) Vijay Shankar's bowling is not at all convincing.
Is he going to be your 5th bowler? Or 6th? Or 7th (after Jadhav)?

4) Who will be the 5 BCCI mainline bowlers?
Bumrah, Shami, Bhuvi, Pandya, one of (Jadeja/Chahal/Kuldeep)?

6th bowler, Jadhav?

5) Their bowling capability apart, this looks like a long tail to me, esp if you don't play Jadeja.
After Pandya then you have 4 proper bowlers.
OK, so Bhuvi is an OK bat - but I wouldn't count on him getting more than 10-15 runs.

All in all, the more I look at this squad, the less convinced I feel.

Yesterday evening I thought this was a decent squad - capable of winning the Cup.

I still think, except for Pant, there isn't any glaring mistake I'd complain about.

But overall, is this a Cup-winning squad? I'm not convinced.

Everyone's been on and on about the #4 position, but I don't think that's the only problem.

Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
United Kingdom

Postby Daanav » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:54 am

Bhuvi can bat well enough to help with 20+ runs, especially if there is a higher order batsman at the other end. He can manage the #8 position in the line-up but if he is not playing, then Jadeja has to be included at #8, along with Pandya at #7. If you put Shami or Yadav at anything higher than #9, the tail gets too long and weak.

Dhoni has 3 functions here. Senior Wicket-keeper, middle order batsman with a finishing touch and adviser for Kohli. IMO Kohli is a poor captain and is not as good as MSD in getting the best out of his men.

Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
United Kingdom

Postby Daanav » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:00 am

Looking at the Indian squad again, I wonder if they could have picked Mayank Aggarwal instead of Vijay Shankar. Aggarwal would have been a solid #4 option giving flexibility to the batting lineup. Shankar is nominally in as an all-rounder but we all know that his bowling is little better than nonexistent. As a batsman, he is more in #5 or #6 category but those places are taken up by the wicket keepers and Jadhav.
Perhaps teams should be allowed 16 players ;)

Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
United Kingdom

Postby Daanav » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:33 am

Archer could have been included instead of Woakes. With their lineup, England don’t need Woakes’ batting and in present form, Archer is the better bowler.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby Paddles » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:12 pm

Daanav wrote:Archer could have been included instead of Woakes. With their lineup, England don’t need Woakes’ batting and in present form, Archer is the better bowler.

Woakes is essential to England with all his batting, not to mention his death bowling. RCB used him so wrong its not funny. He's the world's best #8 in ODI.

Wood and Tom Curran are very very lucky to be there ahead of Archer. Wood has had one good tour of WI. That's it. Suddenly he thinks he's G McGrath. And being all vocal. PLunkett is on borrowed time, he has been great for England, but he's in decline. His pace is dropping reapidly.

Tom Curran is just ordinary. There's nothing special about him at all.

If Archer plays against Pak and does well - he will be in the WC squad. They will change it. One niggle and someone will get axed. He's the best bowler England has for limited overs. The entire world knows it.

Archer is the future of England bowling (tests as well). Everyone knows it. I expect to see him playing the Ashes at some point. Broad's place is in danger now.

He's young, fit, fast, tall, short run up, can bat wellish, he's a complete package. The WI lost a superstar.

HAHA!

Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
United Kingdom

Postby Daanav » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:13 am

Well, I somehow instinctively feel that England should have picked Archer. To me he seems like a natural limited overs bowler. I know that one cannot make decisions based on IPL but overall he seems like a good package. Whether it was instead of Tom Curran or Liam Plunkett it does not matter; he should have been part of the squad.

Not sure how this "preliminary" selection things works but I hope that Archer somehow gets his chance. If he does not, he could well become disilluisioned, which is not good fir a young sportsman.

Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
United Kingdom

Postby Daanav » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:30 pm

IMO both Hendricks and especially Morris should have been picked. I wonder if Morris' exclusion was part of the quota system.

Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
United Kingdom

Postby Daanav » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:24 pm

What I want to see is whether Hardikhead Pandya's strutting confidence and devil-may-care performances remain when he dons the Indian national (lighter) blues and becomes Hardik Pandya again. If he starts acting like shrinking violet in the World Cup, he should be tried for treason.

I have a feeling that the so-called "assassin" or IPL will turn out to be just an "ass" in the World Cup.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:29 pm

Srilanka sucks this year. They did not win a single notable game. Total failure.

Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
United Kingdom

Postby Daanav » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:40 pm

Going South wrote:Srilanka sucks this year. They did not win a single notable game. Total failure.

Not really. They won both Test matches in South Africa. I luckily watched that last wicket partnership live. After that they went off the boil big time.

Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
United Kingdom

Postby Daanav » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:59 am

givemeahug786 wrote: 50/50 game i doubt HP gets as much success as t20 in wc.He looks more tired while bats in t20

That's what I mean. In that horrible MI blues he is the arrogant, strutting, gesticulating Hardikhead who seems to be able to hit any bowler to any part of the ground. But when it comes to doing his duties for India, he suddenly turns into a Hardikmouse scared of his own shadow and seeming to struggle getting his bat to ball.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby Paddles » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:47 pm

England's preliminary 15-man World Cup squad: Eoin Morgan ©, Moeen Ali, Jonny Bairstow, Jos Buttler, Tom Curran, Joe Denly, Alex Hales, Liam Plunkett, Adil Rashid, Joe Root, Jason Roy, Ben Stokes, David Willey, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood.

South Africa World Cup squad: Faf du Plessis ©, Aiden Markram, Quinton de Kock (wk), Hashim Amla, Rassie van der Dussen, David Miller, Andile Phehlukwayo, JP Duminy, Dwaine Pretorius, Dale Steyn, Kagiso Rabada, Lungi Ngidi, Anrich Nortje, Imran Tahir, Tabraiz Shamsi

Pakistan World Cup squad: Sarfraz Ahmed (captain), Fakhar Zaman, Imam-ul-Haq, Abid Ali, Babar Azam, Haris Sohail, Shoaib Malik, Mohammad Hafeez (subject to fitness), Imad Wasim, Shadab Khan, Hasan Ali, Faheem Ashraf, Junaid Khan, Shaheen Shah Afridi, Mohammad Hasnain

Two additions for England ODIs: Mohammad Amir and Asif Ali

Archer will play for England vs Pakistan.

HAHA!

Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
United Kingdom

Postby Daanav » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:46 am

What are the rules regarding these "net bowlers" going to England to help the main team? For BCCI they include Deepak Chahar and Navdeep Saini, both of whom have been reasonably impressive in the IPL thus far and might be able to use English conditions. Are the team allowed to "exchange" one of them for a selected team member (say Bhuvi) if the latter is underperforming or has there got to be a more substantial reason like an injury or "personal issues back home"?

Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
United Kingdom

Postby Daanav » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:52 am

Let us consider a hypothetical situation:

- DK fails continuously as a batsman for the rest of IPL and any other match afterwards but remains uninjured.
- Pant regains his batting form big time starting last night and continues to bat very well for rest of IPL and thereafter.

If the selectors feel at some stage, say 20th May 2019, that they should have picked Pant instead of DK, is there something that they can do about it without breaking the rules?

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:28 pm

I don't think so.
There's a reason you have to pick a squad by a certain date.
After that, unless there's an injury or something, you're stuck with that squad, right?

Also, the reason Karthik has been picked is that he's seen as a better gloveman than Pant.
Even if Pant gets loads of runs from here on, that aspect doesn't change.

He needs to do some spectacular wicket-keeping to make selectors sit up.

To be honest, I don't rate Karthik's keeping.

He's ok for ODIs,, I guess - but he has been poor in Tests for BCCI.

Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
United Kingdom

Postby Daanav » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:38 pm

raja wrote:I don't think so.
There's a reason you have to pick a squad by a certain date.
After that, unless there's an injury or something, you're stuck with that squad, right?

OK. But carrying this hypothetical situation further - and NOT just for RP vs DK situation; supposing that the selectors very strongly feel that they made a mistake and Player A should have been included instead of Player B, can they offer 'B' some sort of off-the-record "incentive" to declare himself unavailable for the WC for personal reasons?

Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
United Kingdom

Postby Daanav » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:40 pm

I think Pollard and Narine have been dropped because of internal politics of some kind. Narine is bowling quite well at the IPL.

I would have chosen Pollard ahead of Brathwaite because the former is in better batting form. I know that Pollard seldom bowls these days while Brathwaite is bowling rather well but with Gabriel, Cottrell and Thomas forming a formidable trio and supported by Russell, they do not need an additional seamer.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Going South » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:04 pm

Daanav wrote:I think Pollard and Narine have been dropped because of internal politics of some kind. Narine is bowling quite well at the IPL.

I would have chosen Pollard ahead of Brathwaite because the former is in better batting form. I know that Pollard seldom bowls these days while Brathwaite is bowling rather well but with Gabriel, Cottrell and Thomas forming a formidable trio and supported by Russell, they do not need an additional seamer.

Yep.
Windies board is notorious for it.
They might have asked these two some illogical sacrifice with no contract or compensation, they might have said hell-no.

Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
United Kingdom

Postby Daanav » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:02 pm

I was looking at the Indian Team's top order. Both Dhawan and Rahul ate in good form and will play if fit, right? If Rohit Sharma insists on opening, he can do so with Dhawan with Rahul in at #3 and Kohli coming in at the supposedly problematic #4 position. He'll be followed by either DK or Dhoni and then either Shankar or Jadhav at #6.

Problem solved.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:08 pm

Rohit is no hit. I have my doubts.

Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
United Kingdom

Postby Daanav » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:45 am

Going South wrote:Rohit is no hit. I have my doubts.

I have always had my doubts about Rohit Sharma as an opening batsman at ODI level. I know that he has many good scores from #1 or #2 positions but somehow I keep getting the feeling that his technique is more that of a middle order batsman. That is why I earlier suggested him as a potential #4 for this World Cup but you guys shouted me down.

Dhawan on the other hand comes across as a genuine opener. he has had some success lately and so best to leave him there.

So, it should either be

1. Dhawan
2. Rahul
3. Kohli
4. Rohit Sharma

OR

1. Dhawan
2. R Sharma
3. Rahul
4. Kohli

Actually, I like the second option. While for T20s the best batsman of a team should be at #3, I feel that with ODIs, with more time to settle down, he should come at #4.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:37 pm

I have doubts on Trahul too.

Anybody with name Rahul is persona non grata in India nowadays.

Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
United Kingdom

Postby Daanav » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:44 pm

Going South wrote:I have doubts on Trahul too.

Anybody with name Rahul is persona non grata in India nowadays.

LOL! The cricketer's first name is Lokesh I believe; Rahul is the politishit's first name.

sportzcraazy12
CF Debutant
India

Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby sportzcraazy12 » Fri May 03, 2019 4:18 pm

Edited by mods. Would be banned if your website link is peddled next time.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Wed May 08, 2019 10:15 am

What are the playing hours for worldcup matches?
Are there any day & night matches?

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Thu May 09, 2019 12:02 am

I need exact USA EST time start-end of each game. Is there any web link that list the timings ?

Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
United Kingdom

Postby Daanav » Thu May 09, 2019 8:42 am

What about Kedar Jadhav? They are saying something about his position in the WC team "protected" but if his shoulder niggle persists, will they take him?

If Jadhav cannot go, who are the replacement options?

- Rayudu - IMO unlikely with his iffy form and that 3D quip when he was left out.
- Manish Pandey - Probable first option, especially as he can fill in the debated #2 spot.
- SKY - Not likely. I don't think he is quite international standard and the team is already a bit top heavy.

Other possibilities??

Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
United Kingdom

Postby Daanav » Thu May 09, 2019 3:56 pm

givemeahug786 wrote:GOING SOUTH
MERGE THIS VERY LINK WITH world cup link
on Live Game page After Schedule and all teams
listings

Is it not better to wait till the World Cup actually starts? This thread is just a general discussion about the WC whereas specific games can be discussed line.

BTW, will there be a points system similar to IPL for the World Cup?

Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
United Kingdom

Postby Daanav » Sun May 12, 2019 8:18 pm

Now that the IPL is over with the pre-arranged and predictable result, all cricketing eyes turn to the World Cup. I will be supporting India but it will take me a while to get over the fact that 3 of them need to be exorcised from their MI influences to become normal Indian players.

I hope that will be more international contributions during the games.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Tue May 14, 2019 6:57 am

First match is on May 30th.

Let’s make plans for good prediction game and rules.

Make it such a way that anybody can join in middle and have a chance to win.

givemeahug786
CF Senior
CF Senior
Kenya

Postby givemeahug786 » Tue May 14, 2019 7:32 am

Going South wrote:I need exact USA EST time start-end of each game. Is there any web link that list the timings ?

no.Not possible of end time but you can Figures out.

3 hours 30 min.per Innings Excluding Slow over rate plus 50 minutes Lunch plus 15min Presentation >>>Rains -- Time out twice during
210 minutes single Innings plus same in next
210 minutes.

you lived in Usa >>5.30am est starts ends 1.30 pm est>> or 9 minutes more
Kohli & Bumrah rested for Windies t20I in usa+
but will play in test cricket Championship vs WI

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Tue May 14, 2019 7:43 am

Thanks

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Tue May 14, 2019 8:00 am

I will be travelling for the first week or so, of the World Cup.
So I will not be able to comment on it here.
But if there is any prediction game, kindly assume I am picking BCCI as the winner (to jinx it, of course :-)).

Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
United Kingdom

Postby Daanav » Tue May 14, 2019 5:18 pm

I just checked ticket prices for the World Cup.

19th June at Edgbaston - South Africa vs New Zealand (which I hope to attend if I can the day off). Tickets still available at £55.

30th June at Edgbaston - India vs Pakistan = SOLD OUT at £700 (nearly $1000) per ticket.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Tue May 14, 2019 6:49 pm

Many of American friends are visiting England for worldcup. When I knew of costs I said no thanks. Man. They sure give business boost for England. Be thankful of “great” Americans that bring you prosperity.

Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
United Kingdom

Postby Daanav » Tue May 14, 2019 8:44 pm

It depends on which game you want to see. I may turn out to be wrong but I have this instinctive feeling that the SA vs NZ game is going to be a cracker. I think we all knew that the India vs Pakistan game would be sold out and expensive in that order (I think you know what I mean by that :D ). There is evidence that most of the tickets are bought out by Indian and not Pakistani supporters.

There is a site that is offering to resell tickets (you know what that means, of course) - they are legit for sure. ALL games not featuring India with the exception of England vs Australia are in 2 figures; this includes all other games with Pakistan in them. The ones that India are playing start at £245 and go up to £700 ...... for the time being.

givemeahug786
CF Senior
CF Senior
Kenya

Postby givemeahug786 » Sun May 19, 2019 9:19 am

Pollard & Dwayne Bravo included in wI wC team as Reserves
Kohli & Bumrah rested for Windies t20I in usa+
but will play in test cricket Championship vs WI

Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
United Kingdom

Postby Daanav » Sun May 19, 2019 12:49 pm

givemeahug786 wrote:Pollard & Dwayne Bravo included in wI wC team as Reserves

Not sure about Bravo but Pollard might find his way into the main team as a pure batsman. That could make a difference for WI chances.

Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
United Kingdom

Postby Daanav » Mon May 20, 2019 12:26 pm

Isn't Wahab Riaz getting on a bit by now? He might still be fit but with his style of hyper-effort bowling, age might be a factor.

Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
United Kingdom

Postby Daanav » Wed May 22, 2019 6:25 pm

Jadhav declared fit for the WC team

cricupdates
CF Debutant
India

Postby cricupdates » Fri May 24, 2019 7:11 am

I'm bit concerned about the Indian Team Middle Order.

Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
United Kingdom

Postby Daanav » Wed May 29, 2019 6:42 pm

I hope that Rabada is fully fit and in full cry for tomorrow's match and rest of the tournament. I think he is going to be a key factor of South Africa's chances. In the past year he appears to have matured mentally as well and so is going to be a force to recon with.