Cricket World Cup 2019

This is the forum for discussion of all cricketing issues and news. Here you will find frank analysis and opinion on subjects ranging from selection policies, favourite cricketers and match post-mortems right through to dressing room and cricket board fiascos.
User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 3683
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Paddles » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:36 am

A lot of our minds over the next few months will be focusing attention to this. Australia v India and Pakistan, even the IPL - if Sam Curran goes well or Archer - there will be a lot of thinking about World Cup team squads and selection.

I moved this post from the India - Aus thread.



If Eng and Ind are shoo-ins for the semi's, and Aus needs luck, SA, NZ and now the emergence of a Gayle Bravo inspired WI team - I think everyone bar the form and winning teams which we expect to be Ind and Eng will need some luck.

The round robin format with no quarters will be brutal. 6 wins in 9 games will guarantee a semi final spot. but 4th place is likely to have a pile up be counting down that 5th win and NRR or NR points, or both...

The last time a round robin was played in 91/92, Pak scraped ahead in 8 games, 4 wins and 1 NR... tournament favourites Australia and WI were left stranded on 4 wins each and not qualifying. Pak got lucky a rained out game that they were losing badly to form team Eng. They were bowled out for 74! Noone else in the race for 4th beat England.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8039 ... up-1991-92

That tournament had 2 east beats in SL and Zim with India just flopping badly. But Pak totally fluked it, on the last day, they needed to beat then unbeaten NZ in NZ, and then have Aus beat the WI later that night where now after Pak's win could only WI could qualify instead of both. Aus only had pride to play for, WI had it all to play for. WI and Aus were totally outfluked by Pak.

Afg should be easy beats this time, and no-one is talking up SL or Banga's chances - but those 3 teams and the WI could throw up some upset wins quite easily and send SA or Pak off course. Because beating those 4 - means Aus, SA, NZ and Pak only need to 1 of the remaining 3 games to get to 5 wins, assuming losses to Eng and Ind. The fluke dramas get worse especially if a team or two gets rain off vs Eng and Ind... or a rain out to Afghanistan for points banked on...

I think it will be very easy for any of NZ, Aus, SA, Pak to miss out or get in on a fluke. WI would be a bigger fluke - but with their form against England and India (which was better than NZ's to be honest) - it's seriously on the cards too.

I like the round robin system more, because it's a better tournament with constant high quality match ups. But there's going to be a train-smash heading into 4th in most likelihood. It could even happen for 3rd spot too.

If Eng and Ind do not perform at the Cup in a dominant fashion as expected, the whole thing will be a log pile.

4th is most likely going to be a fluke. 3rd could be too. There will be rain. And Eng or Ind will drop a game somewhere you would think - even if they dominate the tournament. And there will be an upset wins by minnows too. NZ, Aus, even SA and Pak, and now WI, should play every game as a must win... It's going to be a fluky shoot out...
"Your inclination to assume and contradict is typical of Narcissism which is nothing about being pretty like the Narcissus fable."

HAHA!

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 3683
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Paddles » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:37 am

Feel free to discuss about anything WC related, about any team, any player, any coach or umpire etc.
"Your inclination to assume and contradict is typical of Narcissism which is nothing about being pretty like the Narcissus fable."

HAHA!

User avatar
Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 1220
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 8:04 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Location: United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Daanav » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:53 pm

Of one thing I am certain of World Cup 2019 - England are NOT going to win it.

They'll start out as favorites all right with a lot of tabloid hype and silly comments from the likes of Bairstow and Stokes, win some good matches, then dramatically collapse chasing a modest total in a crucial match and blame it on the weather, overseas spectators or Donald Trump. :lolup:

givemeahug786
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 4140
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:55 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
Kenya

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby givemeahug786 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:49 pm

England will win beat india because they will makes 4 changes with no MO
Jofra Archer most likely to play and win matches for them. They are too good in their own back yard
Aus has played 7 out of 11 Finals in World cup
Eng never win WC :Aus won 3 in row: '99/'03/'07


Sril Lanka choked Pakistan in SL
197 /4 >> 208 all out (youth)

User avatar
The Third Man
CF Specialist
CF Specialist
Posts: 527
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:08 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Ireland

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby The Third Man » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:36 pm

givemeahug786 wrote:England will win beat india because they will makes 4 changes with no MO
Jofra Archer most likely to play and win matches for them. They are too good in their own back yard


Are they seriously considering Archer for their squad? I more thought of him as a T20 specialist.

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 3683
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Paddles » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:10 pm

The Third Man wrote:
givemeahug786 wrote:England will win beat india because they will makes 4 changes with no MO
Jofra Archer most likely to play and win matches for them. They are too good in their own back yard


Are they seriously considering Archer for their squad? I more thought of him as a T20 specialist.


Yeah - Archer and Wood are probably the favourites to play. Plunkett is in big trouble. Willey seems to be on the outer.

1 Bairstow 2 Roy 3 Root 4 Morgan 5 Stokes 6 Buttler 7 Ali 8 Woakes 9 Archer 10 Wood/Curran/Plunkett/Willey 11 Rashid 12 Hales

Such deep batting, there's no real tail unless Wood plays. They don't even need a spare keeper. The only question is do they take a spinning reserve or have 3 spare quicks?
"Your inclination to assume and contradict is typical of Narcissism which is nothing about being pretty like the Narcissus fable."

HAHA!

givemeahug786
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 4140
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:55 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
Kenya

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby givemeahug786 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:26 pm

i wonder why all newly married perform suddenly below their class

rf :Plunkett

Paddles
Morgan told last week " Cricket Fertinities will be shocked because we will make 4 changes in WC team he hints Archer but not say nothing for Plunkett-- who always took wickets match after match in the past .I think Mo will loose too.
Aus has played 7 out of 11 Finals in World cup
Eng never win WC :Aus won 3 in row: '99/'03/'07


Sril Lanka choked Pakistan in SL
197 /4 >> 208 all out (youth)

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 3683
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Paddles » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:31 pm

givemeahug786 wrote:i wonder why all newly married perform suddenly below their class

rf :Plunkett

Paddles
Morgan told last week " Cricket Fertinities will be shocked because we will make 4 changes in WC team he hints Archer but not say nothing for Plunkett-- who always took wickets match after match in the past .I think Mo will loose too.


I'm telling you Plunkett is in trouble... Morgan keeps making it out he bowls 145kph, Plunkett is well down below that.

The problem is not just Archer, it's the re-emergence of Wood who was excellent in the WI, and England wanting some real pace hence they were looking at Stone before Wood anyway showed he can get upto 150km/h.

England has Woakes and Stokes to swing it, they want some heat in the middle overs. Woakes and Archer at the death will be brilliant.

This is the team I'd pick today on form -

1 Bairstow 2 Roy 3 Root 4 Morgan 5 Stokes 6 Buttler 7 Ali 8 Woakes 9 Archer 10 Wood 11 Rashid....

12 Roy 13 T Curran 14 Willey/Jordan/Plunkett 15 Denley/Leech?
"Your inclination to assume and contradict is typical of Narcissism which is nothing about being pretty like the Narcissus fable."

HAHA!

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 3683
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Paddles » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:32 am

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... -cup-plans

Willey having a whinge. But his point of the team being together for 3 or 4 years is nonsense. Jordan has been moved out. Ball was given plenty of opportunity and gone. Wood and has been in and out. Tom Curran was brought late 2017 on the fringes and Olly Stone was brought in recently. Sam Curran was given a failed crack 6 months ago.

The fact is as simple as the only constant has been Plunkett, Woakes (when fit), Stokes, Ali and Rashid.

The next seamer has always been up for grabs despite Willey looking like he had nailed it when areguably Willey was just batting cover for Woakes. That all said, I think Liam Plunkett is playing his way out of the team by playing, while Willey remains a good chance by not actually doing any harm to his perceived form.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... pe=bowling

Finn has been dropped, Topley injured, Overton failed, TRJ got injured, Broad was brought back and dropped, Overton was given a game...

Yes Plunkett, Woakes, Willey and Wood have played the most games, but there was only ever room for 3 of them in one team... And England has always been looking for something better. Woakes and Plunkett were A teamers, Wood Willey and everyone else was fighting for the 3rd spot.

What has been together for 3 or 4 years is the batting and team balance methodology. Bairstow was a late comer, it started as Hales and Roy - Hales has been really unlucky. I don't read about him complaining.
"Your inclination to assume and contradict is typical of Narcissism which is nothing about being pretty like the Narcissus fable."

HAHA!

User avatar
Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 1220
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 8:04 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Location: United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Daanav » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:01 pm

My ideal Indian XI (and I know Paddles and Going South will disagree with the batting order)

Where there are 2 options, my preference is in bold.

1. Lokesh Rahul
2. Sheiker Dhawan
3. Virat Kohli
4. Rohit Sharma
5. Rishabh Pant / M S Dhoni
6. Kedar Jadhav / Amby Rayudu
7. Hardik Pandya / Vijay Shankar
8. Krunal Pandya / Ravindra Jadeja
9. Bhuvi Kumar
10.Mohammed Shami / Kuldeep Yadav.....2 spinners in English conditions risky. Preferred only at Old Trafford and other spinner friendly wickets.
11. Jasprit Bumrah

User avatar
Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 21853
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:10 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
United States of America

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Going South » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:38 pm

Daanav wrote:My ideal Indian XI (and I know Paddles and Going South will disagree with the batting order)

Where there are 2 options, my preference is in bold.

1. Lokesh Rahul
2. Sheiker Dhawan
3. Virat Kohli
4. Rohit Sharma
5. Rishabh Pant / M S Dhoni
6. Kedar Jadhav / Amby Rayudu
7. Hardik Pandya / Vijay Shankar
8. Krunal Pandya / Ravindra Jadeja
9. Bhuvi Kumar
10.Mohammed Shami / Kuldeep Yadav.....2 spinners in English conditions risky. Preferred only at Old Trafford and other spinner friendly wickets.
11. Jasprit Bumrah


You need to kick out L Rahul. Take a young player who showed promise in IPL.

YOU MUST TAKE DHONI. he brings a lot more to the team not just keeping and batting.

#6 can be picked from IPL list

Rest I agree.

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 3683
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Paddles » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:43 pm

Daanav wrote:My ideal Indian XI (and I know Paddles and Going South will disagree with the batting order)

Where there are 2 options, my preference is in bold.

1. Lokesh Rahul
2. Sheiker Dhawan
3. Virat Kohli
4. Rohit Sharma
5. Rishabh Pant / M S Dhoni
6. Kedar Jadhav / Amby Rayudu
7. Hardik Pandya / Vijay Shankar
8. Krunal Pandya / Ravindra Jadeja
9. Bhuvi Kumar
10.Mohammed Shami / Kuldeep Yadav.....2 spinners in English conditions risky. Preferred only at Old Trafford and other spinner friendly wickets.
11. Jasprit Bumrah


England plays 2 spinners
Sometimes they bowl Joe Root in addition to those 2 spinners.

Rayudud is not competing Jadhav. At all. And definitely not for 6.

But Kuldeep for mine should play. He's the ace in the attack with Bumrah. I get you want batting at 8 and Shami, Bumrah and Kumar both, it's a tough one.
"Your inclination to assume and contradict is typical of Narcissism which is nothing about being pretty like the Narcissus fable."

HAHA!

givemeahug786
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 4140
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:55 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
Kenya

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby givemeahug786 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:47 am

Paddles wrote:
Daanav wrote:My ideal Indian XI (and I know Paddles and Going South will disagree with the batting order)

Where there are 2 options, my preference is in bold.

1. Lokesh Rahul
2. Sheiker Dhawan
3. Virat Kohli
4. Rohit Sharma
5. Rishabh Pant / M S Dhoni
6. Kedar Jadhav / Amby Rayudu
7. Hardik Pandya / Vijay Shankar
8. Krunal Pandya / Ravindra Jadeja
9. Bhuvi Kumar
10.Mohammed Shami / Kuldeep Yadav.....2 spinners in English conditions risky. Preferred only at Old Trafford and other spinner friendly wickets.
11. Jasprit Bumrah


England plays 2 spinners you fool :P Sometimes they bowl Joe Root in addition to those 2 spinners.

Rayudud is not competing Jadhav. At all. And definitely not for 6.

But Kuldeep for mine should play. He's the ace in the attack with Bumrah. I get you want batting at 8 and Shami, Bumrah and Kumar both, it's a tough one.


Sir
Rohit our OdI opener till he retires so forget about
Someone name Lokesh

Also removes Krunal and Rayudu in England wc
Aus has played 7 out of 11 Finals in World cup
Eng never win WC :Aus won 3 in row: '99/'03/'07


Sril Lanka choked Pakistan in SL
197 /4 >> 208 all out (youth)

User avatar
Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 1220
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 8:04 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Location: United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Daanav » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:59 pm

I am not a fan of Rayudu and so by all means remove him. Jadhav I like and the reason I prefer him at #6 is because he plays well with tailenders, stealing strike and yet keeping the score moving.

England may sometimes play 2 spinners but for 50-over matches in their own turf they'll have one of the Imams not both. They'll want 4 seamers.

IMO, Kuldeep Yadav, if he plays, will go for a mountain of runs after teams figure him out, which they will do quickly. 10-0-87-2 or something like that is not a good statistc, even with those wickets.

I like Krunal Pandya (except in his Mumbai blues!). He is aggressive and intelligent with the ball and can be a match winner. Adaptable with the bat in different positions.

Personality and self-confidence are important while playing in England more than anywhere else. Put Kuldeep Yadav under pressure and he will wilt and make mistakes. Try putting Krunal Pandya under pressure and he will fight back and more than likely come-up with an effective counterattack.

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 3683
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Paddles » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:41 am

Daanav wrote:I am not a fan of Rayudu and so by all means remove him. Jadhav I like and the reason I prefer him at #6 is because he plays well with tailenders, stealing strike and yet keeping the score moving.

England may sometimes play 2 spinners but for 50-over matches in their own turf they'll have one of the Imams not both. They'll want 4 seamers.

IMO, Kuldeep Yadav, if he plays, will go for a mountain of runs after teams figure him out, which they will do quickly. 10-0-87-2 or something like that is not a good statistc, even with those wickets.

I like Krunal Pandya (except in his Mumbai blues!). He is aggressive and intelligent with the ball and can be a match winner. Adaptable with the bat in different positions.

Personality and self-confidence are important while playing in England more than anywhere else. Put Kuldeep Yadav under pressure and he will wilt and make mistakes. Try putting Krunal Pandya under pressure and he will fight back and more than likely come-up with an effective counterattack.



What are you talking about.

England's team is automatic with spinners and batsmen. Has been for years. In England too!

It is:

1 Bairstow 2 Roy 3 Root 4 Morgan 5 Stokes 6 Buttler 7 Ali 8 Woakes 9.... 10... 11 Rashid 12 Hales...


England plays 2 spinners and Root all the time. Globally. And in England. You're not paying attention. Between Woakes and Stokes, with Wood, Willey, Plunkett, Ball, Stone, Curran - always has 4 seamers. Archer won't change this.

England plays 6 bowlers. 2 spinners. Ali and Rashid. And 4 seamers. If Stokes is injured, he gets replaced with Hales. And Root bowls as 6th. That's 3 spinners. Pay attention. If Woakes is injured, they replace him with a fast bowler. England plays 6 bowlers as default. If Stokes is injured, Root bowls! Stokes is replaced with a batsman, Woakes a seamer. That's what they do. They have a clear game plan.

Seriously - start looking at England. It's a global game. And they're number 1.

I'm sorry - most odi fans know the England team inside out - they play Ali and Rashid as automatic choices, when fit, no matter where the match is - home or away. Wake up and pay attention.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... pe=bowling

Seriously - England doesn't even need to think about playing both. It's automatic except when Ali is injured or rested.
"Your inclination to assume and contradict is typical of Narcissism which is nothing about being pretty like the Narcissus fable."

HAHA!

User avatar
Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 1220
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 8:04 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Location: United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Daanav » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:45 am

Paddles wrote:That's what they do. They have a clear game plan.

Seriously - start looking at England. It's a global game. And they're number 1.

No #1? Only on paper. Wait till their ego gets the better of them and they collapse spectacularly against a tem they were "expected to beat" and blame it on everything but themselves.

Sorry, I am no anglophile बूट लिकर. I live here and know the other side of the supposed "clear game plan".

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 3683
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Paddles » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:58 am

Daanav wrote:
Paddles wrote:That's what they do. They have a clear game plan.

Seriously - start looking at England. It's a global game. And they're number 1.

No #1? Only on paper. Wait till their ego gets the better of them and they collapse spectacularly against a tem they were "expected to beat" and blame it on everything but themselves.

Sorry, I am no anglophile बूट लिकर. I live here and know the other side of the supposed "clear game plan".


Noone accused you of being an Anglophile. At all. I never would and probably never will. You just live in England, noone asked you to love their team. Noone ever will. I have no idea whether England has treated you well nor poorly. And I didn't ask. And I probably never will.

But while you live there, you have no idea at all that Rashid and Ali bowl in tandem when fit. And have done for years.

You're embarrassing yourself in my eyes. Just my opinion. You don't like the England team - I get that - you made that clear. I don't judge you for that. But at least look at the scorecards of who they play. Which is both spinners at home and away. Seriously.

England have no issues about losing and spectacularly collapsing. They have their best ODI team in their history. They don't need a piece of silverware to know this. Their only competition was the 1992 fairbrother/lamb/botham team... that didn't even beat Pakistan....

Me? I'm a Kiwi. But I love this England ODI team. Sure - I have british passport and all. But I just love them for the way they play more than anything else. If India, Pakistan, SL or Bangladesh played this way - I'd love them too....

Cricket is not about which nations you love, its about the game of the formats you love. Knowing what the number 1 team is doing should not be a bridge too far for cricket format fans. Whether it is England, Pakistan, India or Aus.

My apologies if you find this post offensive, but think about it. For a long time. It's very carefully worded. And there is no provocative offense contained in it.
"Your inclination to assume and contradict is typical of Narcissism which is nothing about being pretty like the Narcissus fable."

HAHA!

User avatar
Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 1220
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 8:04 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Location: United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Daanav » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:41 am

Paddles, considering the sort of politics related exchanges that have taken place elsewhere in these forums (and which I stay clear of), I don't think a bit of a rant on my part (and I admit it was a rant) is untoward.

I admit that there are some good players in the England ODI team but it is that smug, supercilious attitude that makes the likes of me, along with the overwhelming majority of settlers from the subcontinent, dislike English sports teams. Individually there are some good guys like Root and Buttler but otherwise too many crude, characterless individuals. They do not even have to come across as crass yobs like Bairstow or Stokes; look at Stuart Broad - a smooth cheat of there was ever one. There is also a certain team attitude - you can't place a finger on it, but it is there - that gives others the feeling of being looked down upon.

Many years ago, I attended an ODI between England and Zimbabwe in Bristol and was with a colleague who had strong connections with the England dressing room. Afterwards he took me behind the scenes to meet some of the players. It was en eye-opener and one of them in particular - Andrew Flintoff - reminded me of a great bacon source.

As to your conjecture of me being treated poorly in my 34+ years in the UK, you are wrong. Of course there have been the odd incidents, racist remarks and the like, but nothing serious.

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 3683
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Paddles » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:48 am

Daanav wrote:Paddles, considering the sort of politics related exchanges that have taken place elsewhere in these forums (and which I stay clear of), I don't think a bit of a rant on my part (and I admit it was a rant) is untoward.

I admit that there are some good players in the England ODI team but it is that smug, supercilious attitude that makes the likes of me, along with the overwhelming majority of settlers from the subcontinent, dislike English sports teams. Individually there are some good guys like Root and Buttler but otherwise too many crude, characterless individuals. They do not even have to come across as crass yobs like Bairstow or Stokes; look at Stuart Broad - a smooth cheat of there was ever one. There is also a certain team attitude - you can't place a finger on it, but it is there - that gives others the feeling of being looked down upon.

Many years ago, I attended an ODI between England and Zimbabwe in Bristol and was with a colleague who had strong connections with the England dressing room. Afterwards he took me behind the scenes to meet some of the players. It was en eye-opener and one of them in particular - Andrew Flintoff - reminded me of a great bacon source.

As to your conjecture of me being treated poorly in my 34+ years in the UK, you are wrong. Of course there have been the odd incidents, racist remarks and the like, but nothing serious.


I made no conjecture nor did I inquire.

I just pointed out as a cricket fan, you should feel foolish not knowing that England play ali and rashid at home, the fact you live there just simply makes it worse imo if relevant - but I never said that it was. You bring that up. I don't care.

Nothing to do with England sportsmen and how they conduct themselves. Well or not well. Whether Bairstow and Stokes are morally better human beings than you or not - I don't care. None of my business. Whether they swear in English or urdu. Or not at all. I don't care in this thread. Just as a cricket fan not following the best teams but commenting on them from a perspective of in the know.

I know sfa about soccer. But I don't pretend to. You know sfa about Englands 6 bowlers, but pretend to think there's 5 and only 1 spinner. YOU'RE WRONG!

That is all where I was coming from. All true odi fans globally know the England game plan - they've long been the best - with no superstars besides Buttler. Root is a poorman's Taylor who aint a Kohli. And yet they win... team game. Know the team... :)

The only team with a moral high ground on behaviour is NZ. And we were bad before McCullum was captain, and were pinged last month for swearing... It is what it is... No team is perfect. Aus is just worse than everyone else...

Flame me. I have the England scorecards and spirit of cricket awards at my disposal. Want to see swearing in hindi? I have youtube too. This convo can go any direction you like. I will link youtube. I warn you now. And there's lots there.

So how about you simply concede that England will play 6 bowlers if Stokes is fit, and 2 will be spinners in Ali and Rashid. :P

Social media resources just reduce these arguments to this. I have everything at a keystroke. And you know it. :)
"Your inclination to assume and contradict is typical of Narcissism which is nothing about being pretty like the Narcissus fable."

HAHA!

User avatar
Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 1220
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 8:04 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Location: United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Daanav » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:11 am

I quite like watching Oz and Kiwi teams. Yes, they can be crude, sledge the opposition etc but those sort of things can be faced head-on and you know where you are. The difference is that English sports teams make hypocrisy and double-standards into a fine art and that bugs me more than anything else. That bloody "holier than thou" attitude.

And please don't keep repeating the same "England play 6 bowlers including 2 spinners" thing. You made your point on that and I accept it. We are not talking about that anymore.....at least I am not.

Incidentally, that little phrase above was NOT a Hindi swear word. I don't speak Hindi at all - I am from Bangalore (hence the futile RCB support ;)) and as you probably know, there is something of a North-South language divide in India. I used Google Translate and cut-pasted it.

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 3683
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Paddles » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:56 am

Daanav wrote:I quite like watching Oz and Kiwi teams. Yes, they can be crude, sledge the opposition etc but those sort of things can be faced head-on and you know where you are. The difference is that English sports teams make hypocrisy and double-standards into a fine art and that bugs me more than anything else. That bloody "holier than thou" attitude.

And please don't keep repeating the same "England play 6 bowlers including 2 spinners" thing. You made your point on that and I accept it. We are not talking about that anymore.....at least I am not.

Incidentally, that little phrase above was NOT a Hindi swear word. I don't speak Hindi at all - I am from Bangalore (hence the futile RCB support ;)) and as you probably know, there is something of a North-South language divide in India. I used Google Translate and cut-pasted it.


That's all I cared about.

Spirit of cricket award - NZ. :P We behave the best of all the hypocrits :)

Social media is going global - a different language to English is longer a disguise - for tamil, urdu, gaelic, arabic, hindi, or anything else...

As far as India - I know less than I care to admit tbh. I know gujarat is dry. Hindi and urdu are the same phoenetically. Should I know more about languages of India? I mean no offence. I just know less than you give me credit for. I'm a Kiwi with a British passport. Love Indian food, though. I think its the best savory cooking on the planet and I knew Hindus don't eat beef.
"Your inclination to assume and contradict is typical of Narcissism which is nothing about being pretty like the Narcissus fable."

HAHA!

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 3683
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Paddles » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:08 am

We really dont know much about India in the west. We know more about China and Japan to be honest.

We learn about East India company, 1947 and Gandhi. But not much more. I learn more from users on here than what is taught syllabus in western education.


A lot of my shops are Indian owned, and they teach me things like muslim vs sikh vs hindi etc.
"Your inclination to assume and contradict is typical of Narcissism which is nothing about being pretty like the Narcissus fable."

HAHA!

User avatar
Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 1220
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 8:04 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Location: United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Daanav » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:15 am

Paddles wrote:We really dont know much about India in the west. We know more about China and Japan to be honest.

We learn about East India company, 1947 and Gandhi. But not much more. I learn more from users on here than what is taught syllabus in western education.

Well, I guess it was my bad. I saw the Indian flag next to your Avatar and made the wrong assumption. I thought we were supposed to use the flags of out location as I have and not necessarily the teams that we support.

As for the British passport, it is just a piece of paper that is useful to travel. Means little else. It is what you feel within.

I have one too.

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 3683
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Paddles » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:21 am

Daanav wrote:
Paddles wrote:We really dont know much about India in the west. We know more about China and Japan to be honest.

We learn about East India company, 1947 and Gandhi. But not much more. I learn more from users on here than what is taught syllabus in western education.

Well, I guess it was my bad. I saw the Indian flag next to your Avatar and made the wrong assumption. I thought we were supposed to use the flags of out location as I have and not necessarily the teams that we support.

As for the British passport, it is just a piece of paper that is useful to travel. Means little else. It is what you feel within.

I have one too.


Of course you do. My dad was born there. Yours wasn't. I love England. But I see its faults.

I'm a Kiwi first. UK second. I love both. See the faults with both. But its my home within. NZ then England.

The flag is my support of India vs Australia. Don't assume. I'm not Indian. Once NZ is knocked out - I 100% support England...

I'm highly western educated - politics, economics, sociology, philo and law and post grad law. India never really came up from high school on.

I know your legal system but not your history. Ironic right? :P It is what it is.

But I love to learn - and raja, GS, hug and more teach me things all the time. And I love it. Cos i love to learn.
"Your inclination to assume and contradict is typical of Narcissism which is nothing about being pretty like the Narcissus fable."

HAHA!

User avatar
Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 1220
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 8:04 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Location: United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Daanav » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:32 am

Paddles wrote:
Of course you do. My dad was born there. Yours wasn't. I love England.
Now you are the one making assumptions! How do you know that?

For the record, I never knew my real parents. Born in the UK, adopted by Indian fosters and grew-up in Bangalore. Returned to the UK in 1985 and got the passport only because I was born here. Rather convenient but that's about it. Not where my heart is. As you say yourself, it is what it is.

PS: Maybe NZ won't get knocked out? :D
Last edited by Daanav on Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 3683
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Paddles » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:33 am

Daanav wrote:
Paddles wrote:
Of course you do. My dad was born there. Yours wasn't. I love England.
Now you are the one making assumptions! How do you know that?

For the record, I never knew my real parents. Born in the UK, adopted by Indian fosters and grew-up in Bangalore. Returned to the UK in 1985 and got the passport only because I was born here. Rather convenient but that's about it. Not where my heart is. As you say yourself, it is what it is.




Sorry you didn't meet your parents. Btw. I hope life improved for you from there.
Last edited by Paddles on Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Your inclination to assume and contradict is typical of Narcissism which is nothing about being pretty like the Narcissus fable."

HAHA!

User avatar
Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 1220
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 8:04 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Location: United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Daanav » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:35 am

Paddles wrote:
Sorry you didn't meet your parents. Btw.
Don't be. It is rather sadder and more complicated story than that but this is not the place to go into it.

Since you asked (why erase?), I was born in 1955 to some South Asian couple. The adoption was not exactly above board and my fosters were not very good people. Life only improved after I met my present wife back in 1976 in India. The only thing I have against her is that she hates cricket! ;) :D
Last edited by Daanav on Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 3683
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Paddles » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:38 am

Daanav wrote:
Paddles wrote:
Sorry you didn't meet your parents. Btw.
Don't be. It is rather sadder and more complicated story than that but this is not the place to go into it.


All good. I like you. You just touched a nerve not knowing England plays 2 spinners at home in Rash and Ali.

Beyond that - I don't get into drama on here besides Australia. Ask Raja and GS. I stay out of India/Pak/Hindu/Muslim/Xian crap. By crap - I don't denounce it as such - just not my place to get involved from ignorance.

I was raised a christian by the way. But I'm not a fanatic.
"Your inclination to assume and contradict is typical of Narcissism which is nothing about being pretty like the Narcissus fable."

HAHA!

User avatar
Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 1220
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 8:04 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Location: United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Daanav » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:43 am

Paddles wrote:
I was raised a christian by the way. But I'm not a fanatic.
I was raised as a Hindu as was my wife but now we just consider ourselves agnostic. Religion has done more harm than good around the world IMO.

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 3683
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Paddles » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:57 pm

Daanav wrote:
Paddles wrote:
I was raised a christian by the way. But I'm not a fanatic.
I was raised as a Hindu as was my wife but now we just consider ourselves agnostic. Religion has done more harm than good around the world IMO.


I havn't stepped foot inside a church outside of funerals in decades...
"Your inclination to assume and contradict is typical of Narcissism which is nothing about being pretty like the Narcissus fable."

HAHA!

User avatar
Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 1220
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 8:04 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Location: United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Daanav » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:56 pm

Paddles wrote:But I'm not a fanatic.
I'm afraid I am very much a fanatic. Fanatically against Mumbai Indians. :mrgreen:

User avatar
Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 1220
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 8:04 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Location: United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Daanav » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:17 pm

Paddles, somewhere you suggested that the potential NZ squad for the World Cup will be weak in bowling but I cannot find that bleeding post. But I have an opinion on that.

Going purely by numbers, you are right because there are not many world class bowlers, which means that those that are left must remain physically fit and in form. But remember that could happen, especially in a team where the atmosphere is one of the underdogs, which invariably increases determination.

Southee and Boult are World Class bowlers and thus far impressive Matt Henry can complete a seam trio. Add the spin of Mitch Santner to it and you have a reasonably strong 4-man bowling attack. Depending on the nature of the wicket, they can include either Lockie Ferguson (if seam friendly) or choose between Ish Sodhi and Todd Astle on spinner friendly wickets. Santner can be No #8 in batting and Southee #9, which means irrespective of who else you choose, the tail will not be too weak.

For a sixth bowling option, NZ can choose one of James Neesham, Corey Anderson or CdG. The first two are suitable for #7 in batting while CdG can come in earlier if necessary.

The one result I would like more than any other (well, except India beating Pakistan, which will always be mu champagne result)) would be NZ beating Oz in the World Cup.

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 3683
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Paddles » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:13 pm

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15765&p=335163#p335163

Southee is not world class in ODI and hasn't been since the last world cup.

Henry's numbers flatter him, he's terrible against set batsmen - he's a new ball bowler only with no death options.

Ferguson has lept above both of them cos he bowls 150 km/h. He and Boult are the attack.

Santner is a world class suffocator. But he doesn't take a lot of wickets. And NZ is unlikely to play two spinners in the one game.

Neesham's bowling is horrid, he goes for 6.5 runs an over - and most of those overs were bowled before the last world cup. CdG is incredibly hittable, he just bowls in the channel at 120 km/h.

While this is going on, Guptill, Nicholls, KW, Taylor and Latham run the risk of batting too slow. Neesham has been explosive all season. CdG has problems facing wrist spin.

Corey is always either injured or recovering from injury. His bowling is not what it was pre injury. A massive blow for NZ - cos he'd walk into CdG's spot easy if fit.

1 Nicholls 2 Gup 3 KW 4 Taylor 5 Latham+ 6 Neesham

They are all locked and loaded. Noone would doubt the batting calibre of these guys, the issue is whether they respond quickly enough on flat pitches and up the scoring rate. But as a NZ fan - this is a purple generation of batting talent.

7 CdG/Astle 8 Santner 9 Ferg 10 Southee/Henry 11 Boult

Munro will be batting spare - should be Will Young as Munro is so out of form its not funny.

Seifert will go as reserve keeper. He's not ready nor good enough yet for intl cricket.

The bigger problem is the most talented bowling allrounder in NZ is Scott Kuggeleijn, he hits the ball well and bowls 149 km/h - but there is a media campaign against him despite being found not guilty in court.

This is the team imo NZ should play to address the bowling issues and that bats very deep:

1 Gup 2 Nicholls 3 KW 4 Taylor 5 Latham 6 Neesham 7 Astle 8 Santner 9 Kuggs 10 Ferg 11 Boult

But it will never happen. It would be so nice to see 3 seamers all going well over 140 clicks and 2 front line spinners leaving Neesh little bowling to worry about. He'd only then be bowling when the seamers are on top. But c'est la vie.

NZ fans need to temper their expectations - we're not in the same form we were heading into 2015 as a team. We've become very one dimensional and hoping for a brilliant century or opening bowling spell to win games instead of the team executing a winning process to win games. Individual brilliance only goes so far at a World Cup. At some point - there is no room for passengers. And NZ has too many passengers right now.

Munro, CdG, Neesham's bowling, Santner's batting, Henry, Southee are liabilities. Anderson is basically a write off due to injuries. Sodhi doesn't bat well enough to be in the frame. Neesham is seeing the ball like a basketball and smashing it out of the park all season - but his bowling is still pies.

Ferguson and Astle are still quite raw. So is Henry Nicholls for that matter.

NZ is a middling team sliding down from having been higher. WI is rising to the middle.
"Your inclination to assume and contradict is typical of Narcissism which is nothing about being pretty like the Narcissus fable."

HAHA!

User avatar
Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 1220
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 8:04 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Location: United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Daanav » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:42 pm

The present World Cup format is good because every team plays everyone else but unlike IPL, just once. IMO, that should create better opportunities for England to be eliminated.

- India have beaten England on home turf in the past and have a chance of doing so, especially if they bowl well.
- The Kiwis have conjured up unexpected victories against England in previous World Cups and I hope that they do this time too.
- Oz can beat England if they bat and bowl well. Cummins and Zampa are bowling quite well and England's batsmen have a question makek against good leg spinners.
- IMO, South African bowlers are capable of restricting England with Ngidi, Nortje and Rabada. An inspired last hurrah from Tahir could see England beaten.
- Out of the rest, a really inspired performance from ONE of Pakistan, SriLanka or West Indies could see England knocked out, especially if the other results are favourable (to me).

If England get knocked out before the knockouts, I'll miss at least one match afterwards while recovering from my celebratory hangover.

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 3683
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Paddles » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:15 pm

https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1106784

ABdV names his 4 favourites to win the cup: Ind, Eng, Aus and Pak.
"Your inclination to assume and contradict is typical of Narcissism which is nothing about being pretty like the Narcissus fable."

HAHA!

User avatar
Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 1220
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 8:04 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Location: United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Daanav » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:45 pm

Paddles wrote:https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1106784

ABdV names his 4 favourites to win the cup: Ind, Eng, Aus and Pak.
Out of that list, I expect one of just two teams to win the trophy. The two teams which have won it 7 times between them and also the only two teams to have won it in the last 20 years. ;)

givemeahug786
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 4140
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:55 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
Kenya

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby givemeahug786 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:46 am

pak could win if they play as Team than personal
diffrances with-in team members
Aus has played 7 out of 11 Finals in World cup
Eng never win WC :Aus won 3 in row: '99/'03/'07


Sril Lanka choked Pakistan in SL
197 /4 >> 208 all out (youth)

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 3683
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Paddles » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:45 am

givemeahug786 wrote:pak could win if they play as Team than personal
diffrances with-in team members


Pak have lovely team balance, but Shoiab and Imam are keeping Sohail and possibly more talented batting out. Hafeez too but I imagine he will do some 6th bowler bowling.

Imam is difficult in that he has minnow bashed so well, that he may be good, but so much is down to Farkhar and Babar with the top order.
"Your inclination to assume and contradict is typical of Narcissism which is nothing about being pretty like the Narcissus fable."

HAHA!

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 3683
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Paddles » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:48 am

Daanav wrote:
Paddles wrote:https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1106784

ABdV names his 4 favourites to win the cup: Ind, Eng, Aus and Pak.
Out of that list, I expect one of just two teams to win the trophy. The two teams which have won it 7 times between them and also the only two teams to have won it in the last 20 years. ;)


I don't think Australia has any idea what their top order will be or who will captain.

I don't think they even know who their keeper will be. They know who their 4 main bowlers are.

SMarsh was the form bat of last 12 months. He is dumped. Finch is out of form. Khawaja is in form. Smith and Warner are being given red carpet treatment. Aus is all over the show.

The best thing they have going for them, is that they care more about the Ashes, and won't be under any world cup pressure to win.
"Your inclination to assume and contradict is typical of Narcissism which is nothing about being pretty like the Narcissus fable."

HAHA!

User avatar
raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Posts: 24514
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:14 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Pakistan

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby raja » Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:54 am

I don't trust Pakistan's batting one bit.
Their bowling is pretty good though.

givemeahug786
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 4140
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:55 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
Kenya

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby givemeahug786 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:07 am

Pakistan Fielding was really crappy in the past but now they realized after that 4 runs defeats how important
Fielding will be.They are ready for Australia and world cup
Aus has played 7 out of 11 Finals in World cup
Eng never win WC :Aus won 3 in row: '99/'03/'07


Sril Lanka choked Pakistan in SL
197 /4 >> 208 all out (youth)

User avatar
Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 1220
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 8:04 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Location: United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Daanav » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:08 am

Paddles wrote:
The best thing they have going for them, is that they care more about the Ashes, and won't be under any world cup pressure to win.
That is a major reason why they might win.

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 3683
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Paddles » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:17 pm

Daanav wrote:
Paddles wrote:
The best thing they have going for them, is that they care more about the Ashes, and won't be under any world cup pressure to win.
That is a major reason why they might win.


Well they won under expectation every time except 1995 and 1992.

But they came from nowhere in 1987.
"Your inclination to assume and contradict is typical of Narcissism which is nothing about being pretty like the Narcissus fable."

HAHA!

User avatar
Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 1220
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 8:04 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Location: United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Daanav » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:00 am

In World Cups, Australia have somehow developed a knack of coming through even when they are not playing very well. In 1999 they lost the first two matches, after which Steve Waugh said that they could will all the remaining ones and hence the trophy, which they did.

Then in 2003 in South Africa, they were 125/8 against England in a group match with some 80+ runs to get and not many overs to do it in. Bevan and an inspired Bichel got them there with no further problems. They went on to win the trophy.

I am also interested in other teams. NZ for example have 4 all rounders of sorts who can be picked; CdG, James Neesham, this Scott K-unpronounceable and Daryl Mitchell. IMO, they'' pick 2 or at most 3 of them. I believe that CdG, Neesham and maybe SK will get the nod.

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 3683
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Paddles » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:37 am

Daanav wrote:In World Cups, Australia have somehow developed a knack of coming through even when they are not playing very well. In 1999 they lost the first two matches, after which Steve Waugh said that they could will all the remaining ones and hence the trophy, which they did.

Then in 2003 in South Africa, they were 125/8 against England in a group match with some 80+ runs to get and not many overs to do it in. Bevan and an inspired Bichel got them there with no further problems. They went on to win the trophy.

I am also interested in other teams. NZ for example have 4 all rounders of sorts who can be picked; CdG, James Neesham, this Scott K-unpronounceable and Daryl Mitchell. IMO, they'' pick 2 or at most 3 of them. I believe that CdG, Neesham and maybe SK will get the nod.


SK won't go. He's media enemy number 1 for being found not guilty. NZC won't take him to the cup. They never gave him a chance to prove he is ready for it. Maybe in 2 years he makes NZ teams on merit. Not this year.

CdG and Neesh will go - neither can bowl to save themselves on a road against good batsmen. They do hit big 6's. CdG not off wrist spinners, though. They could win a tight game on their day with the bat. But they will lose games with their bowling if picked to do so. HUGE PROBLEM!

Aus v Eng 2003 http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8039 ... up-2002-03

Aus v NZ 2003 http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8039 ... up-2002-03

7/84 and they post 208... Again Bichel and Bevan. England knew where to get the blueprint from with a strong tail like Woakes over Broad and Anderson... #justsaying
"Your inclination to assume and contradict is typical of Narcissism which is nothing about being pretty like the Narcissus fable."

HAHA!

User avatar
Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 1220
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 8:04 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Location: United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Daanav » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:48 am

A good NZ team could be

1. Guptill
2. Nicholls
3. Williamson
4. Taylor
5. Latham
6. Neesham / CdG
7. Astle
8. Santner
9. Southee / Henry
10.Ferguson
11.Boult

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 3683
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Paddles » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:35 pm

Not bad. I'm impressed you follow NZ so well.

Lock in Neesh at 6 instead of debating with CdG,

and put SK at 9. And I agree with you. That would be my team. Unless a greenie to bowl CdG on over AStle.100%. But SK is not going to the Cup. I have different views on law to NZ's media. But I've voiced these already. And unlike most our media, I am legally qualified.

CdG and Astle are battling for the 7 spot. Rightly or wrngly. That is what is going to happen with CdG winning to begin with in England. Moreso if Sodhi goes instead of Astle.

But I'm impressed you know NZC so well. All of us follow Eng, Ind some still follow Aus and maybe SA, but NZ falls offf the radar a lot because we suck so much so often.

Well done Daarnav. I can see you've paid attention to NZC recently - and I appreciate this. Good for you and NZC both. :-)
Last edited by Paddles on Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Your inclination to assume and contradict is typical of Narcissism which is nothing about being pretty like the Narcissus fable."

HAHA!

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 3683
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Paddles » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:41 pm

I'm really starting to like you even more Daanav. But I will still debate hammer and tong when i disagree with you. But I think like me - you won't mind that personally. :-)

I can see you like cricket enough to follow it widely. That scores points in my cricket book.
"Your inclination to assume and contradict is typical of Narcissism which is nothing about being pretty like the Narcissus fable."

HAHA!

User avatar
Daanav
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 1220
Joined: Fri May 20, 2016 8:04 pm
Cash on hand: Locked
Reputation: 0
Location: United Kingdom
United Kingdom

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Daanav » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:29 pm

Paddles wrote:But I will still debate hammer and tong when i disagree with you. But I think like me - you won't mind that personally. :-)

I can see you like cricket enough to follow it widely. That scores points in my cricket book.

By all means do.

Being Indian (I guess) I love my cricket but because of my profession, i don't get much time to follow all the games that I'd like. But I will be retiring in 6 to 8 months after which i can devote by time to cricket.

If you think that Astle is not much better a bowler than CdG or Neesham, then you can omit him and have Neesham and CdG at #6 and #7 in whichever order. Santner is good enough with the bat for #8 and Southee at #9. CdG and Neesham could then share the 5th bowler spot, with more overs to whoever is making use of the day's conditions better.

User avatar
Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Posts: 3683
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 am
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
Reputation: 0
India

Re: Cricket World Cup 2019

Postby Paddles » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:09 am

Daanav wrote:
Paddles wrote:But I will still debate hammer and tong when i disagree with you. But I think like me - you won't mind that personally. :-)

I can see you like cricket enough to follow it widely. That scores points in my cricket book.

By all means do.

Being Indian (I guess) I love my cricket but because of my profession, i don't get much time to follow all the games that I'd like. But I will be retiring in 6 to 8 months after which i can devote by time to cricket.

If you think that Astle is not much better a bowler than CdG or Neesham, then you can omit him and have Neesham and CdG at #6 and #7 in whichever order. Santner is good enough with the bat for #8 and Southee at #9. CdG and Neesham could then share the 5th bowler spot, with more overs to whoever is making use of the day's conditions better.


These 10 overs could get ugly. Might be some KW darts in there too. NZ limited overs spin has never been so strong with Sodhi, Astle and Santner, and Boult is performing fantastically well often especially up top, but the team just isn't quite there in the field.

Southee/Henry are failing far too often, and Fergusson is still raw but showing a lot of promise.

If NZ just had a Starc or a Bumrah type to close out the death with, and a genuine allrounder like Woakes, Cairns or Oram, the team would be so much stronger.

I think Hardik's batting is a weak link for India. Stoinis's bowling is improving. There's not that many quality allrounders ala Shane Watson playing at the moment. Andile - hmmm - unconvinced with the bat.
"Your inclination to assume and contradict is typical of Narcissism which is nothing about being pretty like the Narcissus fable."

HAHA!