Iceland Volcano

hot topics, News & Current affairs discussion forum.
Shalini
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Cash on hand: Locked

Iceland Volcano

Postby Shalini » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:06 am

Anyone here affected by the major flight cancellations due to the Iceland Volcano?

I have not been personally affected but spent the last couple of days taking phone calls from customers panicking about what happens if they are not able to travel.

And a friend is stuck in Madrid, he went there last week on business and was expected back on Saturday. I don't feel sorry for him, I am jealous! He is getting paid to have a holiday! GRRR! :annoyed:

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Re: Iceland Volcano

Postby GpeL » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:18 am

There is one dude.. my manager.

He left the office matters in my hands and went to scotland on vacation where he is from. He is still stuck there. Since he has a home and all that at scotland it is not an issue for him and as you say he is getting paid for it so no issues there either.

But reading the news about this makes one wonder. What if it was me. I mean no flights to europe or USA and passengers stuck in mumbai airport which is a worst case thing with no accomodation or enough mullah to even buy food. I was reading that some passengers are sleeping in the airport in mumbai and are being charged 50 rs per person or something like that and most are near broke and are surviving on junk food like chips and such.

The thing at iceland seems to be getting more active and no respite forcasted at the moment.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:21 am

Not affected.
There may be people I know who have been affected but I have not been in touch with anybody since I have come back from India, so I do not know.

It is nice and sunny outside at the moment (making me feel guilty about being indoors - I so much prefer it when it is rainy and cold. I can justify being indoors then :-) ).

SuperGLS
CF Champion
CF Champion
United States of America

Postby SuperGLS » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:16 pm

I keep telling my wife that volcanos are evil because she wants to go to Hawaii or Costa Rica and now that this happened I told her they were starting to get angry with the world and it's just the beginning. Watch out!

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:03 pm

Well, volcano in Iceland and earthquake in China...Mother Nature is getting pretty active at the moment.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:50 pm

Good to hear from you, ITG.
Where had you disappeared ?

shourey
CF Senior
CF Senior
United States of America

Postby shourey » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:36 pm

Nothing good is coming out of ICELAND. Bank failures, bailouts , ice and now spewing dirty ash all over the continent.

Can we not bomb Iceland ? If Bush was our president we would have bombed that volcano by now.

SuperGLS
CF Champion
CF Champion
United States of America

Postby SuperGLS » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:19 pm

shourey wrote: If Bush was our president we would have bombed that volcano by now.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Leo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Bank: Locked
Martinique

Postby Leo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:16 am

Any chance of those ashes to affect this region?

Shalini
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator

Postby Shalini » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:12 am

Starting to see a bit more impact now. Been inundated with calls from people stranded in Europe asking if there was any way we could help them get back. Unfortunately we cannot. I feel bad for them.

And lots of people suddenly remembering to ask what our cancellation terms are if they have to cancel due to a similar occurrence in future. Why don't they actually read the terms and conditions when they book? :annoyed:

a friend got married last Friday in Scotland and was to fly out to Mexico for the honeymoon. I guess Glasgow will have to do, poor things :lol:

asterix
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United Kingdom

Postby asterix » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:35 am

I look outside in the sky in Milton Keynes..I see wonderful clear sky and bright sun. I can't see any trace of ash, glass, dust falling down (I've been looking up the sky for past few days). I don't know what's the fuss about. Why can't they direct all the flights over the Milton Keynes sky?

Ankur
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator

Postby Ankur » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:45 pm

asterix wrote:I look outside in the sky in Milton Keynes..I see wonderful clear sky and bright sun. I can't see any trace of ash, glass, dust falling down (I've been looking up the sky for past few days). I don't know what's the fuss about. Why can't they direct all the flights over the Milton Keynes sky?

I think the issue is flying past volcanic ash. Airline regulations say, you need to be within 100 miles of land anytime you are flying, the only way to fly across Atlantic is to fly the ash ridden skies. The danger with doing that is modern planes are built to suck in as much air as possible to get maximum thrust. Flying ash ridden skies, along with air this ash will also enter the engine, when it gets to back of the engine it will solidify into glass and will kill the engines, thus resulting in a crash.

Ankur
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator

Postby Ankur » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:20 pm

Austria
- Austrian airspace is open, though the Austrian aviation agency Austro Control said it will continue to monitor the situation and has not ruled out another closure.
Belgium
- The Brussels, Belgium, airport has confirmed arrivals will begin at 8 a.m. Tuesday (2 a.m. ET). Departures will begin at 2 p.m. (8 a.m. ET) if the air quality remains clear, officials said.
Video: Airport misery at Manchester Video: Ship to pick up UK troops, civilians Video: At the volcano's ground zero Video: Produce stuck in Kenya
RELATED TOPICS
Air Travel
Travel and Tourism
Transportation
Western Europe
Britain
- The airspace around Glasgow Airport in Scotland closed Tuesday afternoon as a result of the spreading cloud of volcanic ash, the British air traffic authority NATS said. Airspace around Aberdeen Airport will remain open until 7 p.m. (2 p.m. ET), however, on a "limited program."
- All flights to and from London's Heathrow and Stansted airports, and the airport in Southampton, remain suspended until further notice, NATS said.
Government advice for UK nationals abroad
- Flights to and from Birmingham Airport are suspended until at least 7 p.m. (2 p.m. ET), NATS said.
- British Airways urged the reopening of British airspace and apologized to its customers for the decision by NATS to close it. The airline said it is working to provide data to the Civil Aviation Authority that would persuade them to reopen the skies.
- BA canceled plans to operate some short-haul and long-haul flights from London's Heathrow Airport on Tuesday because of the continued closure of British airspace.- UK airspace above 20,000 feet -- which is above the ash cloud -- will be opened between 1 and 7 p.m. (8 a.m. and 2 p.m. ET) to enable other aircraft to fly over Britain, according to NATS, the country's air traffic control service.
- The Royal Navy's HMS Albion arrived in Santander, Spain, Tuesday morning, "where its primary role was to collect UK service personnel who have recently left the ongoing operation in Afghanistan," Britain's Ministry of Defence said.
Canada
- Flights into and out of St. John's, Gander and Deer Lake, Newfoundland, are not being affected by volcanic activity, AirCanada said, but winds are pushing ash into the region.
China
- Air China said it will resume flying from Beijing to Moscow, Rome, and Stockholm. Flights to London, Paris, and Frankfurt are still suspended, it said.
Denmark
- Danish airports are closed to takeoffs and landings, but its airspace higher than about 20,000 feet is open for transit flights -- those passing over Denmark, the country's air traffic control service NAVIAIR said.
Finland
- Finavia, Finland's aviation authority, confirmed that all Finnish airports will stay closed until 9 a.m. local time Wednesday.
Iceland volcano leaves travelers in limbo
- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has canceled a trip to Helsinki, Finland, because of continued aviation difficulties involving the ash cloud, a State Department official said Monday.
France
- The two main airports in Paris, Charles de Gaulle and Orly, aim to fly about 75 percent of their scheduled flights Tuesday, French Minister for Ecology Jean-Louis Borloo told French radio network RTL.
- The French national rail company SNCF is adding 80,000 extra places on the Eurostar high-speed trains running from Paris to London this week. Tickets will cost a special fare of 96 euros (about $130) round trip, less than half the normal last-minute price.
Germany
- Lufthansa said it hopes to operate as many as 330 flights, including some long-haul flights, Tuesday. Of around 100 flights on the departure board at Frankfurt Airport, there were a handful still scheduled to depart.
- Take-offs and landings were being permitted in Germany under visual flight rules during the day and night, weather permitting, the German air traffic authority DFS said.
- Some U.S. troops critically wounded in Afghanistan are being taken to Iraq for medical care because they cannot be transported to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany, where the airspace is shut down, according to Master Sgt. Stefan Alford, spokesman for the 332 Air Expeditionary Wing in Iraq. The U.S. military hospital in Balad, Iraq, has been designated the new hub for all aeromedical evacuations because of the disruptions in air traffic caused by the volanco.
India
- Indian authorities on Tuesday announced a two-week visa extension for Europe-bound foreign travelers stranded in the country because of the volcano. About 9,000 passengers booked by state-run Air India and private carrier Jet Airways have been left stranded, according to Indian civil aviation authorities.
- Air India has resumed flights to Chicago, New York's JFK airport, and Newark from Mumbai and New Delhi, the civil aviation ministry said. The airline has two planes stranded at London's Heathrow and one at Frankfurt, it added.
- India's Jet Airways has restarted its U.S. and Canada flights via Athens, Greece. The airline hopes Europe-bound passengers can travel onwards from Athens to other destinations on the continent.
Italy
- Italy has reopened its airspace nationwide, the Italian aviation authority ENAC announced.
Japan
- Japan Airlines said it planned to run a round-trip flight between Tokyo and Rome. It added an extra flight from Tokyo to Rome to help stranded passengers get home. Since Thursday JAL has canceled 55 flights, which has affected 14,000 passengers, the airline said.
Netherlands
- Dutch-based carrier KLM said it would gradually begin operating European flights into and out of Amsterdam on Tuesday. All intercontinental flights due to arrive in Amsterdam were expected as scheduled, along with all departing intercontinental flights, with the exception of those going to Mexico City, Manila, Lima, Osaka, Montreal, and Entebbe.
Norway
- The airspace near Bergen briefly reopened Tuesday and the forecast indicated Gardermoen, just north of Oslo, will be open all day, Norwegian air traffic control service AVINOR said. The rest of Norway's airspace is closed, it said.
Poland
- All airspace in Poland is closed.
Russia
- Twelve Russian airports were suffering flight delays and cancellations Tuesday because of the flight disruptions in Europe, the Russian Transport Ministry said. Moscow's international Sheremetyevo Airport has been affected far more than others, with 308 canceled flights and 127 delayed, the ministry said.
- Countrywide, 531 flights were cancelled and 177 were delayed, it said.
Singapore
- Singapore Airlines said it plans to start resuming flights from Singapore to Paris and Barcelona Tuesday, with services to Rome, Amsterdam and Zurich starting Wednesday. It says all other flights not listed above remain cancelled at this point.
Spain
- Irish budget carrier Ryanair said it will operate additional flights Wednesday and Thursday between the Canary Islands, a Spanish island chain off Morocco, and Madrid to allow passengers to get to mainland Europe. Passengers can transfer their scheduled return flight to the Madrid flight free of charge, but onward travel from Madrid will be at the passengers' expense, Ryanair said.
- Celebrity Cruises is canceling the first leg of launch celebrations for one of its new ships so the ship can collect stranded passengers instead, the cruise line announced. The Celebrity Eclipse will pick up more than 2,000 passengers from Bilbao, Spain, on Thursday and return to Southampton, England, late Friday, the cruise line said.
- The British Royal Navy's HMS Albion picked up 300 civilians along with hundreds of British military personnel when it arrived Tuesday in Santander, Spain. The military members are on their way home from Afghanistan, Britain's Ministry of Defence has said.
Sweden
- The airspace north and west of the flight corridor from Stockholm to Gothenburg is now open.
Thailand
- Thai Airways, based in Bangkok, estimates the cloud is costing the airline $3 million a day and has stranded 6,000 of its passengers.
United Arab Emirates
- Emirates airline says the disruption has already cost it $50 million. The UAE will not impose penalties on anyone who overstays a visa as a result of the travel disruption, the Interior Ministry told CNN.
Other countries
- There are restrictions on civil flights across most of northern and central Europe. This swath includes Croatia, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Romania, Serbia, Slovenia, Slovakia and Ukraine.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/04/20/ic ... tml?hpt=T1

afghankhan
CF Champion
CF Champion
Denmark

Postby afghankhan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:43 pm

Afghanistan cricket team is stranded as well, hope they will make it on time. They are going to WI trough England.

SuperGLS
CF Champion
CF Champion
United States of America

Postby SuperGLS » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:52 pm

On my site someone had the theory that the smoke is actually the black smoke monster from the show Lost. And now that it's escaped the island we are all in for a bit of trouble. Hmm...

Shalini
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator

Postby Shalini » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:31 pm

Some airports are opening in England now - Gatwick, East Midlands

Not much use to this lot though!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liverpool reach Paris on trip to face Atletico Madrid

Shalini
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator

Postby Shalini » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:12 am

VFE
Banned
Banned

Postby VFE » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:33 pm

My only comment on this is why the f**k did we stop flying when all the evidence was that everything was fine.

We are risking a double dip economic slump.

It was and is worth the risk of a few hundred people dying over going into recession again.

SuperGLS
CF Champion
CF Champion
United States of America

Postby SuperGLS » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:03 pm

Shalini, thanks for the pictures! Amazing stuff.

SuperGLS
CF Champion
CF Champion
United States of America

Postby SuperGLS » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:47 pm

Check out this video. Intense.