World happiness index

hot topics, News & Current affairs discussion forum.
raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Cash on hand: Locked
Pakistan

World happiness index

Postby raja » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:29 am

This is a UN initiative.

World Happiness Index 2018:
155 countries included in rankings
India is at 133.
Other SAARC nations:
Pakistan (75th), Nepal (101st), Bhutan (97th), Bangladesh (115th), Sri Lanka (116th).
-----

India's rankings (since the rankings started in 2012):
2018: 133
2017: 122
2016: 118
2015: 117
2013: 111
2012:111
-----
Wonder what changed after 2013 that India's rankings have been falling so rapidly?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/happiness-repo ... HR_web.pdf
https://currentaffairs.gktoday.in/world ... 53440.html

https://www.moneylife.in/article/world- ... 43578.html

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Re: GS, why are your people so unhappy?

Postby raja » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:29 am

What are the Components of the World Happiness Index?

As per the report, happiness or subjective well-being is assessed on the basis of following six parameters considered in the survey: it is the national average response to the question of life evaluations.

GDP per capita: The statistics of GDP per capita in purchasing power parity (PPP) at constant 2011 international dollar prices are from the 6 November 2014 release of the World Development Indicators (WDI).

1. Healthy Life Expectancy: The time series of healthy life expectancy at birth are calculated by the authors based on data from the World Health Organization (WHO), the World Development Indicators (WDI), and statistics published in journal articles.

2. Social support: This is having someone to count on in times of trouble and is the national average of the binary responses (either 0 or 1) to the question “If you were in trouble, do you have relatives or friends you can count on to help you whenever you need them, or not?”

3. Perceived freedom to make life choices: Freedom to make life choices is the national average of responses to the question “Are you satisfied or dissatisfied with your freedom to choose what you do with your life”

4. Corruption Perception: The measure is the national average of the survey responses to two questions in the Gallup World Poll: “Is corruption widespread throughout the government or not” and “Is corruption widespread within businesses or not?” The overall perception is just the average of the two responses. The corruption perception at the national level is just the average response of the overall perception at the individual level.

5. Generosity: This is the residual of regressing national average of response to the question “Have you donated money to a charity in the past month?” on GDP per capita.

Why India is at the lower end of the index?

The reasons are not far to seek. India is a complex country with diverse faiths, multitude of castes and sub-castes, variety of cultures, innumerable languages, low level of literacy and a large number of people living below the poverty line. The demography of our country is so complex, any survey on parameters mentioned above will not only be grossly inadequate, but also simply inequitable and cannot be a fair comparison with the developed and the less populous nations of the world. Our Country is unique in its composition, unusual in its character, incomparable in its diversity and peerless in its ethos. So much so, this report does not reflect correctly the happiness or unhappiness of our people which is purely a state of mind based on several social factors which do not get captured into the survey.

Therefore, though the index of happiness cannot be taken at face value so far as India is concerned, it does not mean that everything is hunky-dory in our country. It is a fact of life that there is considerable unhappiness across the country, as evidenced by media reports, which hit the headlines daily reflecting considerable upheaval in everyday life of our people throughout the length and the breadth of our country.

For instance, recently, there was a shocking revelation that when the Uttar Pradesh government advertised for posts of 368 peons on 11 August 2015, they received more than 23 lakh applications, i.e. over 6,250 applications per post. And the most surprising part is that among the applicants, there were more than 2 lakh graduates with degrees like B. Tech, MSc, and M.Com, and 255 with PhDs. The minimum qualification for the post was Class V pass but only 53,000 applicants had not studied beyond Class V. This is a classic example of the existence of widespread unemployment among the educated class in the most populous state of our country. And in such a society how do you expect people to be happy?

Another media report highlighted the rampant corruption existing in every walk of life in our country, despite all the talk of eradicating corruption though enactments, which have not touched the fringe of the problem. As per the website, ‘Ipaidabribe.com’ (IPAB), an online initiative set up in 2010 by Bengaluru-based NGO to crowd-source corruption reports in India, it recorded over 47,000 reports amounting to Rs280 crore of bribe paid from more than 600 cities in India. This is only a fraction of the bribes paid in India simply because, these relate to petty bribes paid by common people for getting small jobs done through government departments. Besides, very few people are bold enough or even bother to report such payment of bribes either due to fear of backlash or sheer indifference once their job is done. The level of corruption existing both in the public and the private sector cannot be even imagined.

Nonetheless, the World Happiness Report says that the well-being and happiness are critical indicators of a nation’s economic and social development and should be a key aim of government policy. It is said that the report gives evidence on how to achieve societal well-being. It is not by money alone, but also by fairness, honesty, trust and good health that happiness of people could be judged. “Increasingly happiness is considered a proper measure of social progress and goal of public policy,” the report said, adding the happiness index describes how measurements of well-being can be used effectively to assess the progress of nations.

However, judging the happiness of people based on the amount of money donated to charity during the previous month is not only myopic, but is also an uncharitable way of judging the happiness of people, especially in a country with diverse population like India. Instead, I would venture to suggest to the authors of the World Happiness Report that a society should be judged by how it treats its least fortunate amongst them, namely the deprived and the disabled. This is because it brings out the test of humanity and its humane approach to life, and this can make all the difference in the life of people.

https://www.moneylife.in/article/world- ... 43578.html

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:33 am

FWIW, my country's ranking has gone up from 81 to 80 to 75 now in 2018.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

GS, why are your people so unhappy?

Postby Going South » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:42 pm

i find it questionable.
who decides what is happy or not for a person in another country?
WHO FUNDS SUCH “RESEARCH” ?
The UN Sustainable Development Solutions Network's (SDSN)??
who are members?
i see 10 muslims names on their management council among 30 odd people no wonder they want to see pakistan as a happier place!
who does the leg work?
Gallup World Poll survey?
Aromar Revi decides it that Indians are not happy? he must really hate Modi. ;)
So most probably an American did the final research sitting in Newyork that says people of pakistan are happy compared to people in india, i guess that person never visited either of countries and lived among people to understand “happiness” !
i see an agenda to malign.
i might be happy where i am but to an another person in switzerland might think i am not happy. i would not be happy if i move to switzerland and live there. so what’s the point in doing a happiness index? total waste of time.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:55 pm

if you do a research during ramadan obviously you would see more donations for charity in muslim countries thus boost up their rankings. donating for charity is not a measure of happiness, it is a sign of guilt most of times. ;)

YOUR People of pakistan must be really happy to see imran khan as prime minister and expect to see wonders from him. good luck with that !

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:00 pm

these lists are all bullshit but kudos to raja for the troll

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:53 pm

raja would like to forget that India had jumped 30 places to 100th place among 190 nations in the last year's World Bank's 'ease of doing business' index. We all know raja see only one side of a coin. ;)

squarecut
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby squarecut » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:00 pm

Pakistanis are so happy. I decided to do research on the cause of their happiness. Here is what I found:-

Global terrorism Index- Pakistan is ranked fifth from top
Corruption Index- Pakistan is ranked 117 in the world (highly corrupt)
Ease of doing business -Pakistan is ranked 147
Credit rating Moody - B 3 (negative)- means highly speculative junk rating
Democracy index 4.2 out of 10 (10 means democracy 0 means autocracy)- Bordering on autocracy

So Pakistanis score very high as far as corruption, violence, terrorism etc are concerned. No democracy worth the name. No favorable conditions for business and industry either. No cricket team visits Pakistan. Their economy is in doldrums with Pakistan PM visiting countries like Saudi Arabia, China, Malaysia etc with a begging bowl and getting snubbed everywhere.

These are things that are great sources of happiness for Pakistanis. No wonder Pakistanis are extremely happy.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:35 pm

yes. no wonder raja is happy. ;)

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:28 pm

Of course, I am. :-)

Despite all the troubles in my country, we are a relatively happy lot.

We care about each other, cos we practise the brotherhood Islam teaches us.

All for one, and one for all - that's our motto.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:40 am

That was the motto in Rotherham too.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:09 am

Katto wrote:That was the motto in Rotherham too.

True

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:17 am

The motto can of course be wrongly deployed.
My point is, despite differences (which society doesn't have differences!), we in Pakistan care about each other.
Our religion is a big bonding factor for us - it also teaches us brotherhood and sharing.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:01 am

that doesn't come from religion
that comes from a culture that predates that religion

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

GS, why are your people so unhappy?

Postby Going South » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:55 am

raja wrote:The motto can of course be wrongly deployed.
My point is, despite differences (which society doesn't have differences!), we in Pakistan care about each other.
Our religion is a big bonding factor for us - it also teaches us brotherhood and sharing.

err. i guess only men of that terrorist country are happy. islam never favors women, they are the most oppressed with draconian sharia laws. This week only a woman was killed by “people” of country just because she went to shopping without a male companion! Forget strict dress code!

Halo
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby Halo » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:06 pm

Also like all Abrahamic beliefs it is based on a book.

A book that once read it then hubristically DICTATES behaviour to the masses.

As for brotherhood and sharing all religions proclaim this but practise it only within their clan.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:30 am

Halo wrote:

As for brotherhood and sharing all religions proclaim this but practise it only within their clan.

Christianity doesn't dictate. You've confused it with some other religions.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:00 am

Yes they do.
Christianity “preaches” that every non-Christian is pagan who is in bad need waiting to be converted to Christianity.
If not, it would not ask idiots go attempt to convert sentinelese of all people ;)

Halo
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby Halo » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:09 am

Katto wrote:
Halo wrote:

Christianity doesn't dictate. You've confused it with some other religions.

I was taught by seven Augustinian Priests for 5 years.
Don't lecture me on Christianity.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:18 am

Halo wrote:
Katto wrote:Christianity doesn't dictate. You've confused it with some other religions.

You've been taught by Catholic priests. What do you know about Christianity?
Catholicism is a satanic cult.

Halo
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby Halo » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:45 am

Katto wrote:
Halo wrote:

You've been taught by Catholic priests. What do you know about Christianity?
Catholicism is a satanic cult.

That sounds like a fundamentalist line.

As for knowledge my University thesis was on the two Nicene Councils including the voting.