What do you think?

hot topics, News & Current affairs discussion forum.
raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Cash on hand: Locked
Pakistan

What do you think?

Postby raja » Sat May 23, 2015 1:24 am

My apologies to those who don't understand Hindi.
This is a video listing the infrastructure-related achievements of 1 year of PM Modi's government.'
Railways, roads, ports, power...

Looks impressive, doesn't it?

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Re: What do you think?

Postby GpeL » Sat May 23, 2015 3:18 am

I am not impressed with all these power point thingys but at what I see at ground level.

At this time of the year, there will be 1 hour power cuts multiple time of the day until june.. reason.. well there is shortage of power and people all start using "a/c" causing extra loads on the grid.

This ends july.. so for about a month you will be fine.. but

Then they start tripping power all over again. This time the argument is well the strong monsoon winds and rains badly affect the (over head) power lines causing short circuit and also the spikes due to lightning. Now.. besides it is raining so you do not need power for irrigation and stuff so what are you so worried about eh?

Well ok..

Winter arrives.. and this time the power starts to go because.. well you people are using all those geysers and water/room heaters which is puttting extra load that the grid cannot take..

So bottom line.. you do not need electricity when we are able to produce power but when you need it we are unable to produce power so stop whining.

This time around it has been different. There are no powercuts will be too much of an achievement but they are rare.. and for understandable and genuine reasons. That I can already see.

Another visible change is the amount of work that gets done in goverment office without the usual nakhrebaazi that is prevalent.. looks like somewhere someone is getting his screw tightened based on actual work done.

Another visible change is quality of service with the service sector be it telecom or railways or airlines (I have used all three and the difference on ground is very clear.

I do not care if there are a billion villages electrified or 10000 kms or roads have been built on a daily basis because it does not affect me directly and so I cannot judge how true their words are but is there a visible change? An emphatic YES.

GpeL
CF Champion
CF Champion
Swaziland

Postby GpeL » Sat May 23, 2015 4:23 am

Congress guys have complaints that are hilarious..and so there is no reason one has to prove to them (and their supporters) what has been done.

Suit boot ki sarkar hurting fishermen.. I mean other than these dhoti clad sarkar being able to use their dhoti as a net in case the fisherman's net is torn, I do not see how the suit boot is a disadvantage.

Gov't giving away 22,500 rs per person to Mogolian citizens when our farmers are committing suicide (When government gave a 1 billion "line of credit". Now according to these geniuses, LOC is equal to donation.. but perhaps they are right in their point of view.. they after all never pay up their credit card bills!!.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sat May 23, 2015 8:24 am

I am most interested in railway network development, because I believe strongly in railways for a big country like India.

Railways in any form, whether long-distance or "local train" like, as in Mumbai, or "metro" like as in Delhi.

Maybe part of this comes from my having grown up in a small place in Odisha, where connectivity was basically by road to the nearest town, or by train to the nearest city, Calcutta.

Whenever I read about railways network expansion (whether new routes, or electrification of existing ones), I feel good.

But I am still waiting for my pet peeve - why does it still take almost 24 hours to cover the 1000 km (or maybe it is 1100 by rail) distance between Bengaluru and Mumbai?

And this is, by the "fastest" train. There are slower ones, which take 27 hrs and so on.

Even if we reduce no. of stations, we will shave off maybe an hour or two. Not very helpful.

I heard the main reason is part of the section is still single track, so that's the bottleneck. Probably Ghat area?

I also heard from a railways guy last year (around this time) that this was being worked on, and it would be sorted out in a year or so.

Not sure what's happening with this.

I want an overnight train.

Step in at 8.30 p.m in Dadar or VT (Bengaluru (or Yeshwantpur), step out in Yeshwantput at 9.30 a.m.

13 hrs for 1000km.

Unreasonable?

Atul, can you shed some light on this?

Is there a project at all on this route that will reduce time?