This forum contains topics related to general cricket news
Harmer
VIP User
VIP User

Re: Stats Round Up & Record Thread

Post by Harmer »

To bats First or Bowls in NZ in test match

Cricbuzz

India in New Zealand Tests: To bat first or field?

Can the New Zealand pacers ensure the team's home run continues?
A lot has changed since the last time India played a Test series in New Zealand , in 2014. Under the new guard of Virat Kohli, India have risen to the top of ICC rankings and have stayed there for the most part of the last four years. Kane Williamson took over the reins from Brendon McCullum, and New Zealand have had a steady run in Tests in the last three years before a 0-3 reversal Down Under. While India have been unbeaten in the ICC World Test Championship so far, New Zealand would want all 120 points up for grabs following the whitewash in Australia.

And they'd stand a good chance of doing that if India fail to buck the trend that has been in New Zealand.

The New Zealand anomaly

In the 188 Tests played since the beginning of 2016, teams batting first have won nearly double of what they lost - 109 wins to 55 losses. All the countries which hosted five or more Tests in this period are consistent with this trend, barring one - New Zealand. In fact, the results in New Zealand have been overwhelmingly in favour of sides batting second - 11 wins to just three defeats for sides bowling first.

Win-loss record for teams fielding first (since 2016)

Host Country Mat Won Lost Draw W/L Win %
New Zealand 19 11 3 5 3.67 57.89%
Australia 23 8 12 3 0.67 34.78%
India 26 10 12 4 0.83 38.46%
South Africa 27 6 19 2 0.32 22.22%
England 27 7 18 2 0.39 25.93%
Sri Lanka 16 4 12 0 0.33 25.00%
West Indies 17 4 10 3 0.40 23.53%
Zimbabwe 8 2 4 2 0.50 25.00%
U.A.E. 10 1 8 1 0.13 10.00%
Bangladesh 11 1 9 1 0.11 9.09%
The average first innings scores in New Zealand in the last four years is only 276 which is the lowest among all countries. On the other hand, New Zealand is the only host nation where the average score in the second innings (of a Test) is upwards of 400. Also, New Zealand is the only country since 2016 where teams average higher in the second innings than first innings - highlighting the difficult conditions that sides batting first has to encounter.

Host Tests Avg - Inngs #1 Avg - Inngs #2 Avg score diff
New Zealand 19 276 417 141
Australia 23 375 327 -48
India 26 377 356 -21
Zimbabwe 8 387 375 -12
West Indies 17 287 255 -32
England 27 312 266 -46
Bangladesh 11 345 265 -80
Sri Lanka 16 359 259 -100
South Africa 27 347 230 -117
U.A.E. 10 382 261 -121
Former New Zealand fast bowler Simon Doull weighs in on this peculiar trend: "The issue with New Zealand is that our wickets and pitches are so flat that they have to leave a lot of grass on day one to make it a contest and to basically bring the bowlers into the game," he told Cricbuzz.

"So what NZ have worked around the last four-five years is that if we make it very green on day one, by the end of day two both sides should be bowled out and then we can have a second innings contest in the Test match and if you win the toss in NZ you generally bowl first in green, sort of friendly conditions and sides have been bowled out for under 300 regularly and then it becomes a second innings game."

The numbers do back the above statement - teams batting first have been bowled out for fewer than 300 in 11 of the 19 innings, with only a solitary instance of a team scoring more than 375 - Bangladesh made 595/8 declared in Wellington in early 2017 and went on to lose by seven wickets.

In the 19 Tests played in New Zealand since January 2016, batting on the first day has been far tougher compared to days two, three and four. Teams average 30.39 on the first day of Tests played in New Zealand while it peaks to 39.44 on the second day and steadies to 37.66 on the third day and 37.79 on the fourth. Of the 13 instances of full day's play possible on Day One in this period, side batting first has been bowled out on as many as eight occasions, half of the times the home team at the receiving end.

Day # Runs Wkts Avg
1 4224 139 30.39
2 4970 126 39.44
3 4708 125 37.66
4 4572 121 37.79
5 1522 53 28.72
While the pitches in New Zealand have had a green tinge early on in the recent times, it wasn't something as obvious a few years back, and it would be the strength of opposition's bowling unit that would dictate how much grass should be left on the track.

Doull reflects, "Our pitches have never turned, so that's the one way I think we can create results around Test matches. We have had some green ones when I played but certainly, when we came up against the different types of oppositions, I think the pitches changed a little bit. If you had a very high-quality Pakistan bowling attack or high-quality South African bowling attack during that time, then they weren't as green and nowadays with India touring, when you look at the quality of their bowling attack I don't imagine it would be as green either."

The seamers have exploited the tinge of green early on as their numbers from the first innings are significantly better compared to the other innings. Fast bowlers average 26.08 and take a wicket every 48.7 deliveries with eight of the 17 five-wicket hauls coming in the first innings.

Seamers record innings-wise in NZ (since 2016)

Inngs # Overs Wkts Avg ER SR 5-fers
1 1381.4 170 26.08 3.20 48.7 8
2 1730 138 41.07 3.27 75.2 5
3 1311.3 122 33.24 3.09 64.5 4
4 428 36 33.38 2.80 71.3 0
With the stakes highly stacked in favour of teams making first use of the pitch on seaming New Zealand wickets, Indian skipper Virat Kohli will have to be prepared to do something that he has been very reluctant to - bowl first. Of the 25 times Kohli has won the toss, he opted to bat first on as many 24 (the Bengaluru Test against SA in 2015 the only exception). Further, in the 11 away Tests under Kohli, India have never won a Test when they have been asked to field first losing eight of the 11 games. In fact, the last time India won an away Test after fielding first was way back in August 2010 in Sri Lanka.

India in away Tests under Kohli's captaincy

Inngs # Mat Won Lost Draw Win%
Batting 1st 16 13 1 2 81.25
Batting 2nd 11 0 8 3 0.00

Will Kohli continue to back his strengths of batting first or will he alter his tried and tested formula in accordance with the recent trend in New Zealand?

New Zealand have been on a rampage at home, winning five rubbers on the bounce after losing to South Africa in early 2017. But India will be unlike the oppositions they've had to face (England, West Indies, Sri Lanka & Bangladesh) during this run, which leaves us with the question what kind of tracks will New Zealand dish out?

Doull believes, "I think they will be relatively flat, there might be little bit of grass early on but I don't they are not going to break up and turn - New Zealand surfaces never do - but they will leave a little bit of grass on it to give it some pace and some bounce. Otherwise it becomes a dead Test match and I think with India having better spinners on hand if they chose to play one or two, I think that could go against NZ. So, I would imagine they would be relatively green at the start but play fairly true after that."

India have won a series in Australia, thanks largely to the pace trio of Ishant - Bumrah - Shami, wreaking havoc on tracks that had very little assistance for them. And in New Zealand, they will be up against the trinity of Boult - Southee - Wagner.

If tracks for the upcoming series are sporting in nature, that will bring the fast bowlers into what could turn out to be mouth-watering contest. With the number one-ranked side up against a team that hasn't lost a series in their backyard for more than 30 months, the winner of the pacer's tussle could well be the determining factor as to who bags the series.

Ⓒ Cricbuzz
Harmer
VIP User
VIP User

Post by Harmer »

Stats:

2 Opening partnerships in men's ODI history which have been higher than the 292 that Tamim Iqbal and Liton Das put together. Two of the top three have come against Zimbabwe: in Bulawayo in 2018, Pakistan's Fakhar Zaman and Imam-ul-Haq added 304. The record, though, belongs to West Indies' John Campbell and Shai Hope who added 365 together against Ireland in Dublin last year. Five of the six highest opening partnerships have happened since January 2017.

0 Partnerships for Bangladesh in ODI cricket that have yielded more runs than the 292 in this game. The next best for any wicket is 224, by Mahmudullah and Shakib Al Hasan for the fifth wicket against New Zealand in the 2017 Champions Trophy. Bangladesh's next best for the first wicket is a relatively puny 170, by Mehrab Hossain and Shahriar Hossain, also against Zimbabwe in 1999.

ESPNcricinfo Ltd
9 ODI partnerships of over 250 runs which have come at a run rate of more than 7.15, which was the rate at which Das and Iqbal scored their runs. The best run rate for any 250-plus partnership is 8.98, by Sanath Jayasuriya and Tillakaratne Dilshan,who added 286 together in a mere 31.5 overs against England at Headingley in 2006.

43 Instances of both openers scoring centuries in an ODI innings. The last time it happened was less than two months back, when David Warner and Aaron Finch scored hundreds in Australia's chase of 256 against India. For Bangladesh, this was the first such instance, and only the fourth time that any two of their batsmen scored hundreds in an innings.

2 Higher ODI scores in Bangladesh than Das' 176. Shane Watson's 185 not out against Bangladesh in 2011 is the highest, followed by Virat Kohli's 183 against Pakistan. Das' score is the highest in Bangladesh's ODI history, though: their previous best was 158 by Iqbal just three days ago, in the second match of the series.

7.48 Bangladesh's run rate; only once have they batted more than 30 overs at a higher run rate: against West Indies in the 2019 World Cup in Taunton, they scored 322 in 41.3 overs, motoring along at a run rate of 7.75.

14 Sixes in Bangladesh's innings, their highest in ODIs. Their previous best was 11, against West Indies in Dublin in 2019.

Liton Das' farewell gift to Mashrafe Mortaza: a consistent partner for Tamim Iqbal

7 Mar, 2020
Mohammad Isam
Bangladesh correspondent, ESPNcricinfo
When Liton Das crossed 158 in the third ODI against Zimbabwe on Friday with the crowd in Sylhet having a party, Bangladesh's highest individual score in ODIs was his property now. He got a big hug from Tamim Iqbal, the man who had set the record just two days ago. But it was also Iqbal, according to Das, who reminded him around the 120-run mark that the record was for his taking, and he shouldn't leave the chance. Das went on to finish on 176 off 143 balls that helped the hosts amass 322.

Das said that twice during their record 292-run opening stand, Iqbal's words motivated him greatly. The first was when they struggled to find singles for a brief period and Iqbal calmed down Das. And then when Das was on 120, Iqbal charged him up.

"When I was batting on 80, the bowlers were going through a good time," Das said after the game. "Neither of us could find the singles. Tamim bhai said that we can overcome this situation. We will get the runs and the boundaries, our batting will become normal. This was before my hundred. When I was around 120-122, I was going after the bowling. Tamim bhai reminded me that this was my chance to cross his highest score. 'Do something that will last for a long time', he told me."

Das said that despite the big-hitting finish to his innings, the thought of reaching a double-hundred never crossed his mind. He just reacted to the situations, particularly after the rain break when Bangladesh were 182 for 0 in the 34th over, and the match was reduced to 43 overs a side. Das scored his last 76 runs off just 29 balls, with the help of eight sixes and three fours.

"The double-hundred was never on my mind," Das said. "I wanted to bat till the 30th over but after the century the momentum of the match changed. I had to play my shots, and I was successful. There became a bit of a chance. As a batsman, I have the belief that if I can bat for 30 overs, I can get a hundred.

"It is one of my best knocks. I always performed at the domestic level, but there were problems at the international level. My playing style was different. I am working on it, but I am sure that I can do better in the future."

Liton Das and Tamim Iqbal pinch a run BCB
Mashrafe Mortaza, the outgoing captain who always banked on a good opening stand but had to work hard to find a better partner for Iqbal throughout his captaincy, said that Das is certainly reaching his peak as a batsman.

"I always love watching Virat Kohli and Liton Das," Mortaza said. "There's a lot of great players but as long as these two are at the wicket...I have told Liton for a long time. I believe that Liton can change the momentum of an innings, he can play an anchor role, and he can also play a big innings.

"I think that he has picked the momentum. He understands his game now. He has played for four years, and this is his peak time to score runs. His hundred in the Asia Cup final was his natural game."

Mortaza said that the first time he found confidence speaking to Das was couple of years ago in the West Indies when the young batsman was struggling to break into the playing XI. Mortaza had decided to give Anamul Haque a fair go to open with Iqbal, but Das stuck to his guns, and only wanted to open. It impressed Mortaza.

"Liton told me once, in West Indies when Bijoy (Anamul Haque) opened in all three games and he didn't get a game, that he wanted to bat in his best position. He had made runs in the practice game but we decided to stick with Bijoy in that whole series.

"Naturally, Liton was disappointed. But he told me that he if he fails at his preferred batting order, he would take the responsibility. We spoke for about 30 minutes, and it gave me confidence in him.

"I saw a young player taking responsibility, so I told him that next time whenever you bat for Bangladesh, I will make sure you open the innings."

A captain perennially worried about his batting line-up, and in particular the opening pair where only Iqbal has been consistent, Mortaza will be satisfied that by the time he finished as captain, Bangladesh at least had an exciting opening pair, and one that comes with a lot of promise.

Resources
ESPN cricinfo
Last edited by Harmer on Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harmer
VIP User
VIP User

Post by Harmer »

Cricbuzz

https://m.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/113 ... n-a-decade

Stats: West Indies buck the overseas trend
July 12 2020

This was West Indies' fourth Test win in six Tests against England under Jason Holder.
Stats highlights from West Indies' win in the first Test against England in Southampton:

2007 - :macarena The last time West Indies won the first Test of an overseas rubber, excluding the wins against Zimbabwe, Bangladesh, and Afghanistan. That win came against South Africa in Port Elizabeth by 128 runs. The last time they won the first Test of a series in England came in 2000when they won by an innings and 93 runs. Incidentally, they ended up losing both the above series by 1-2 and 1-3 margins respectively.

Zero - Defeats for West Indies chasing a target of 200 or fewer in the fourth innings of a Test. In 61 such attempts, this was their 55th win with six stalemates. The only other teams not to suffer defeats chasing 200 or fewer are Bangladesh and Afghanistan, who had chased 200 or fewer twice and once respectively in comparison.

Teams chasing 200 or fewer in 4th innings

Team Instances Won Lost Draw
West Indies 61 55 0 6
Bangladesh 2 2 0 0
Afghanistan 1 1 0 0
Zimbabwe 5 4 1 0
Ireland 1 0 1 0
Sri Lanka 31 26 2 3
India 50 39 3 8
New Zealand 39 31 3 5
South Africa 54 45 5 4
Pakistan 62 51 7 4
Australia 129 111 13 5
England 145 115 14 16

55.00 - Average for Jermaine Blackwood in seven Tests against England. In 21 Tests against other opponents, Blackwood's average plummets to 24.00. He has made telling contributions in West Indies' three successful fourth-innings chases against the old enemy. In Bridgetown in 2015, he scored an unbeaten 47 to see his team through chasing 192 from 80/4. At Leeds in 2017, he scored a quickfire 45-ball 41, most of those runs coming against the second new ball, in rapidly-failing light in a chase of 322.

95 - The joint second-highest score for Blackwood in Test cricket, only behind the unbeaten 112 against England in North Sound in 2015. He also made 95 in the fourth innings against Pakistan in Abu Dhabi in 2016. This was only his second Test in the last 30 months, the other one being a concussion replacement last year in Kingston. He forced his way back to the national team by topping the run charts in West Indies' domestic first-class competition, hitting 768 runs at 51.20 in the 2019/20 season.

4 - Wins for West Indies in six Tests against England under Jason Holder. West Indies' first series loss against England in 31 years came in the 2000 tour and in 31 Tests since that tour under other captains, West Indies managed just three wins among them against England. Holder now has 11 Test victories under his belt and among West Indies captains with only Clive Lloyd (36) and Viv Richards are ahead of him.

Most wins among West Indies captains

Captain Span Mat Won Lost Tied Draw Win %
Clive Lloyd 1974-1985 74 36 12 0 26 48.65%
Viv Richards 1980-1991 50 27 8 0 15 54.00%
Richie Richardson 1992-1995 24 11 6 0 7 45.83%
Jason Holder 2015-2020 33 11 17 0 5 33.33%
Brian Lara 1997-2006 47 10 26 0 11 21.28%
Frank Worrell 1960-1963 15 9 3 1 2 60.00%
Gary Sobers 1965-1972 39 9 10 0 20 23.08%
9-137 - The third-best match figures for Shannon Gabriel and the first instance of him picking more than six wickets in a Test away from home. Gabriel's 5-75 in the second innings is his second five-wicket haul in an overseas Test following 5-96 against Pakistan in Abu Dhabi in 2016.

7 - Referrals overturned by West Indies in the Test of the 14 that went against them - three in the field and four while batting. There has been only one instance of a team successfully referring more decisions in a Test - Sri Lanka against Bangladesh in Colombo (PSS) in 2017. England, on the other hand, went on to overturn two of the eight on-field calls that went against them.

3 - Instances of captains getting dismissed by the opposite number in this match - the first such occurrence in a Test. Holder dismissed Ben Stokes in each innings and fell to Stokes in West Indies' first innings. This was the third instance of Holder getting the better of the opposite number in each innings of a Test having done so against Shakib Al Hasan in Kingston in 2018 and Rashid Khan in Lucknow in 2019.

Ⓒ Cricbuzz
Harmer
VIP User
VIP User

Post by Harmer »

How often have rival captains got each other out in the same Test?

STEVEN LYNCH Desk

The Southampton Test was the first time opposing captains had accounted for each other's wickets thrice in the same Test

How often have the rival captains got each other out in the same Test, as Ben Stokes and Jason Holder did at the Rose Bowl? asked Kevin Mills from England

The exciting behind-closed-doors match in Southampton was the 12th Test in which both captains had dismissed each other, but the first to include three such dismissals. It was the second time Jason Holder had been involved in such an occurrence, as he and Zimbabwe's Graeme Cremer accounted for each other in Bulawayo in 2017-18.

Holder's double dismissal of Ben Stokes was the 19th occasion one captain had disposed of his opposite number in both innings of a Test - and it was the third time Holder had done it: he dismissed Shakib Al Hasan of Bangladesh twice in Kingston in 2018, and then, in West Indies' most recent Test before the one at the Rose Bowl, he removed Afghanistan's Rashid Khan in both innings in Lucknow in November 2019. Shakib dismissed India's Virender Sehwag twice in Chittagong (now Chattogram) in 2009-10, and in return Sehwag caught Shakib in both innings.

The wily Australian Richie Benaud dismissed his opposite number twice in a Test on two occasions, and also claimed the wicket of England's Ted Dexter once in each of the five matches in the 1962-63 Ashes series.

Stuart Broad was dropped after playing 51 successive Tests at home. Was this a record for England (or everyone)? asked Dennis Mitchell from England

There have been two England players with longer unbroken home runs than Stuart Broad's 51. Since he played 159 successive Tests in all - the record - it's not surprising to find Alastair Cook top of this list too: he played 89 in succession at home between 2006 and 2018. Cook's longtime opening partner Andrew Strauss played 61 successive Tests in England.

Another similar run came to an end in Southampton, as Joe Root missed the match to be at the birth of his second child. It ended his run of 77 successive Test appearances in all, second only for England behind Cook.

There wasn't a single six hit at the Rose Bowl. When was the last time this happened? asked Dewan Rezwan Rabbi from Bangladesh
You're right to think that this is a rare event these days. The Test in Southampton was the first not to feature a six for about 145 matches, since the Boxing Day Test between South Africa and Sri Lanka in Port Elizabeth in December 2016. There have been only 28 Tests with no sixes since the turn of the millennium.

Virat Kohli made a century in each innings in his first Test as captain, in 2014

What is the highest score by a player in his first innings as captain in a Test? asked Savo Ceprnich
The highest Test score by a captain in his first innings in charge is 239, by New Zealand's Graham Dowling, against India in Christchurch in 1967-68. Shivnarine Chanderpaul also scored a double-century - 203 not out for West Indies v South Africa in Georgetown in 2004-05. The highest in the second innings of a captain's debut Test is 163, by Clive Lloyd for West Indies against India in Bangalore in 1974-75.

The most runs in total on captaincy debut is 256, by Virat Kohli, with 115 and 141 against Australia in Adelaide in 2014-15. Greg Chappell also scored two centuries in his first Test as captain, for Australia against West Indies in Brisbane in 1975-76.

Who conceded 149 runs in his only Test without taking a wicket? asked Gordon Brine from South Africa
This unfortunate bowler was the Australian legspinner Bryce McGain, who won his only cap against South Africa in Cape Town in March 2009, the week before his 37th birthday. McGain nearly took a wicket early on, as Christian Ryan remembered in this evocative piece for ESPNcricinfo, but after that he was caned, finishing with 0 for 149 from just 18 overs as South Africa ran up 651. McGain took 86 first-class wickets for Victoria - and ten in two matches for Essex in 2010.
Harmer
VIP User
VIP User

Post by Harmer »

Slowest 50 in test cricket
https://stats.espncricinfo.com/wi/conte ... 84093.html

RECORDS / SLOWEST FIFTIES

Minutes Balls
357 350 TE Bailey (68) England v Australia Brisbane 1958-59

350 236 CJ Tavaré (82) England v Pakistan Lord's 1982

342 215 DM Bravo (50) West Indies v England North Sound 2018-19

333 229 BA Young (51) New Zealand v South Africa Durban 1994-95

326 SM Gavaskar (51) India v Sri Lanka Colombo (SSC) 1985-86

318 209 Ramiz Raja (62) Pakistan v West Indies Karachi 1986-87

316 CPS Chauhan (61) India v Pakistan Kanpur 1979-80

315 Shoaib Mohammad (53*) Pakistan v Zimbabwe Lahore 1993-94

313 DJ McGlew (70) South Africa v Australia Johannesburg 1957-58

312 212 JJ Crowe (120*) New Zealand v Sri Lanka Colombo (CCC) 1986-87

310 BA Edgar (55) New Zealand v Australia Wellington 1981-82

310 262 AR Border (75) Australia v West Indies Sydney 1988-89

306 219 CJ Tavaré (78) England v Australia Manchester 1981

305 199 D Elgar (81) South Africa v Australia Johannesburg 2017-18

304 235 PL Taylor (54*) Australia v Pakistan Karachi 1988-89

302 DN Sardesai (60) India v West Indies Bridgetown 1961-62

301 238 EJ Gray (50) New Zealand v England Nottingham 1986

300 GS Camacho (57) West Indies v England Bridgetown 1967-68

300 KS More (55) India v South Africa Durban 1992-93

300 or more minutes
Last edited by Harmer on Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harmer
VIP User
VIP User

Post by Harmer »

Which player has the highest individual score in a Test defeat?

Stats

Ricky Ponting followed up his 242 in the first innings with a duck in the second, and couldn't save Australia from defeat against India

This week in our stats series Did You Know? where we present well known and lesser-known facts on a theme, we look at stats and trivia related to losses in cricket.

242 The highest individual score in a Test defeat, by Ricky Ponting, against India in Adelaide in 2003. Incidentally, the next highest score in defeat also came at the same venue - Brian Lara's 226 in 2005. Four of the eight top scores in Test defeats have come at the Adelaide Oval. The corresponding record in first-class matches is Peter Perrin's 343 not out for Essex in a losing cause against Derbyshire in 1904. In ODIs, the highest score in a defeat is Charles Coventry's 194 not out in 2009. The highest in T20 defeats is Chris Gayle's 151* for Somerset in 2015.

3 Instances of a team losing the Test after enforcing the follow-on. Australia have been at the receiving end on all three occasions. Australia have also been the losers when the two biggest fourth-innings targets were chased down, and in the two biggest ODI chases as well.

ESPNcricinfo Ltd

Inns & 579 The biggest margin of loss in Test history, also by Australia, against England at The Oval in 1938. The biggest defeat in terms of runs is 675 runs, by which Australia lost to England in Brisbane in 1928 (Don Bradman's debut Test). In ODIs, Ireland's 290-run loss to New Zealand in Aberdeen in 2008 ranks at the top. In 1997, Pakistan women lost to New Zealand Women by 408 runs, the biggest margin of defeat in women's cricket. And the record in first-class cricket is held by Dera Ismail Khan, who lost to Railways by an innings and 851 runs in Lahore in the Ayub Trophy in 1964-65.

77 The number of Test losses Shivnarine Chanderpaul was involved in, the most for a player. West Indies lost 47% of the Tests he played. New Zealand's Bert Sutcliffe had the longest Test career without a single win - 42 Tests (lost 23 and drew 19). Bangladesh's Alok Kapali's Test career has seen the longest string of losses - Bangladesh lost all 17 Tests he played in. In ODIs, Tendulkar has been involved in most defeats (200) and Al Sahariar has had the longest ODI career without winning any match (played 27, lost 27 and no result 2).

5 Instances when the losing team scored more runs per wicket in the Test than the winning team. The most famous and the highest difference in average runs per wicket is 21.05 in Port of Spain in 1968 when West Indies (average 68.66) lost to England (47.61). Infamously, West Indies captain Garry Sobers became the first captain to declare in both innings and lose a Test. The only other instance of a team declaring twice and losing is South Africa (under Graeme Smith) against Australia at the SCG in 2006. The last instance of a losing team having higher runs per wicket was Australia (average 36.35) defeating Sri Lanka (39.50) in Colombo in 1992.

9/83 The best bowling figures in an innings in a defeat, by Kapil Dev against West Indies in Ahmedabad in 1983. The best match figures to end in defeat are by another India fast bowler - Javagal Srinath's 13 for 132 against Pakistan at Eden Gardens in 1999. The best figures in defeat in ODIs are Imran Khan's 6 for 14 against India in Sharjah in 1985.

21 The most consecutive Tests lost by a team, by Bangladesh from 2001 to2004. They also have the corresponding record in ODIs, with 23 losses in a row, between 1999 and 2002. The most consecutive T20I defeats is 16 by Zimbabwe between 2010 and 2013.

9 Number of Man-of-the-Match awards for Sachin Tendulkar in losing causes across international matches, the most. Chris Gayle is next with six such awards. In Tests, Wasim Akram, Tendulkar, Mohammad Ashraful and Shakib Al Hasan have three Man-of-the-Match awards each in defeats, the most. In ODIs, Tendulkar has six such awards while in T20Is, Shane Watson is the only player to win two Man-of-the-Match awards in defeats.

24 Bangladesh's Khaled Mahmud lost all 24 matches as captain in internationals - the most losses as captain across formats. All those results came in 2003. The next highest is UAE's Mohammad Tauqir (9 matches).
Harmer
VIP User
VIP User

Post by Harmer »

ESPNcricinfo
HOME
MATCHES
SERIES
MORE

Kemar Roach: First West Indian into 200-wickets club since Curtly Ambrose
Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Email
25-Jul-2020
Bharath SeerviStats sub-editor, ESPNcricinfo
1994 - The last time a West Indian got to the 200-wicket mark before Kemar Roach. Curtly Ambrose also got there against England, in Guyana. Since then, Fidel Edwards is the only bowler to have come closest to the 200-wicket club. Overall, Roach is the ninth West Indian to get to the landmark.

42 - Percentage of top-three batsmen Roach has dismissed, the highest among all 13 West Indians with over 150 wickets.

6 - The most times Roach has dismissed a single batsman in Tests (Jonny Bairstow). He has dismissed Ricky Ponting, Kane Williamson, Ben Stokes, Moeen Ali and Mahmudullah five times. All the dismissals of Ponting came between November 2009 and April 2012 . No other bowler dismissed Ponting more times in this period.

26 - Matches Roach took to complete 100 wickets. He has taken slightly longer - 33 Tests - to complete the next 100. Since his return in August 2017, he has picked up 78 wickets in 22 Tests.

39 - Roach's wickets in 2012, the most for him in a calendar year. Three out of his nine five-fors, including his career-best match haul of 10 for 146 against Australia at Port of Spain, came that year.

70 - Roach's wickets tally before his 24th birthday. Only two West Indians had taken more wickets before turning 24 - Alf Valentine (100) and Wes Hall (89).

3 - Roach is the third-youngest West Indian to take a five-wicket haul, when he took 6 for 48 in just his second Test in 2009 (still his career-best innings figures). He is also the third-youngest West Indian to take 10-plus wickets in a Test, during his 10-wicket haul against Australia in 2012.

by TaboolaSponsoredYou May Like
Get back stronger, thicker and healthy hair by using 10 days hair oil
10 Days Hair Oil
meghan markle Confirms Unfortunate News
Articles Vally
Download now and play rummy on India's Most Trusted Online Rummy Site
Rummy Circle
1 Crore Term Life Cover + Regular Monthly Income @ Rs 490/month*. Get Free Quote!
Term Life Insurance Plans
Harmer
VIP User
VIP User

Post by Harmer »

[quote=Harmer post_id=15719 time=159802

RECORDS / TEST MATCHES / BATTING RECORDS / HIGHEST MAIDEN HUNDRED

Player Runs Team Opposition Ground Match Date Scorecard

GS Sobers 365* West Indies v Pakistan Kingston 26 Feb 1958 Test # 450

RB Simpson 311 Australia v England Manchester 23 Jul 1964 Test # 564

KK Nair 303* India v England Chennai 16 Dec 2016 Test # 2241

RE Foster 287 England v Australia Sydney 11 Dec 1903 Test # 78

BC Lara 277 West Indies v Australia Sydney 2 Jan 1993 Test # 1208

Zaheer Abbas 274 Pakistan v England Birmingham 3 Jun 1971 Test # 687

RB Kanhai 256 West Indies v India Kolkata 31 Dec 1958 Test # 463

DJ McGlew 255* South Africa v New Zealand Wellington 6 Mar 1953 Test # 368

WR Hammond 251 England v Australia Sydney 14 Dec 1928 Test # 177

SFAF Bacchus 250 West Indies v India Kanpur 2 Feb 1979 Test # 845

SG Barnes 234 Australia v England Sydney 13 Dec 1946 Test # 280

AD Nourse 231 South Africa v Australia Johannesburg 24 Dec 1935 Test # 248

VG Kambli 224 India v England Mumbai 19 Feb 1993 Test # 1214

JA Rudolph 222* South Africa v Bangladesh Chattogram 24 Apr 2003 Test # 1640

RWT Key 221 England v West Indies Lord's 22 Jul 2004 Test # 1707

WJ Edrich 219 England v South Africa Durban 3 Mar 1939 Test # 271

DS Atkinson 219 West Indies v Australia Bridgetown 14 May 1955 Test # 406

E Paynter 216* England v Australia Nottingham 10 Jun 1938 Test # 263

MA Agarwal 215 India v South Africa Visakhapatnam 2 Oct 2019 Test # 2363

D Lloyd 214* England v India Birmingham 4 Jul 1974 Test # 741

LG Rowe 214 West Indies v New Zealand Kingston 16 Feb 1972 Test # 693

MS Sinclair 214 New Zealand v West Indies Wellington 26 Dec 1999 Test # 1478

HH Gibbs 211* South Africa v New Zealand Christchurch 11 Mar 1999 Test # 1449

Taslim Arif 210* Pakistan v Australia Faisalabad 6 Mar 1980 Test # 878

DM Jones 210 Australia v India Chennai 18 Sep 1986 Test # 1052

Imtiaz Ahmed 209 Pakistan v New Zealand Lahore 26 Oct 1955 Test # 414

SL Campbell 208 West Indies v New Zealand Bridgetown 19 Apr 1996 Test # 1325

MP Donnelly 206 New Zealand v England Lord's 25 Jun 1949 Test # 315

Aamer Sohail 205 Pakistan v England Manchester 2 Jul 1992 Test # 1191

BJ Hodge 203* Australia v South Africa Perth 16 Dec 2005 Test # 1777

DSBP Kuruppu 201* Sri Lanka v New Zealand Colombo (CCC) 16 Apr 1987 Test # 1074

GW Flower 201* Zimbabwe v Pakistan Harare 31 Jan 1995 Test # 1285

JN Gillespie 201* Australia v Bangladesh Chattogram 16 Apr 2006 Test # 1799

SE Gregory 201 Australia v England Sydney 14 Dec 1894 Test # 42

SM Nurse 201 West Indies v Australia Bridgetown 5 May 1965 Test # 589

DN Sardesai 200* India v New Zealand Mumbai (BS) 12 Mar 1965 Test # 582

GC Smith 200 South Africa v Bangladesh East London 18 Oct 2002 Test # 1619

+*Yasir Hameed 170 (debut & Maiden Century)
Zak Crowley 171* (Maiden century)

+*= he scored 105 in 2nd innings on debut. Wow.

L.Rowe of westindies on debut hits
214 & 100* in 1972 vs NZ

Brendon Kurrupu Sri Lankan keeper batted 777 minutes on debut hits 201* vs NZ
Harmer
VIP User
VIP User

Post by Harmer »

Record 5th wicket partnership in Test

Highest partnership for the 5th wicket
Partners Runs Team Opposition Ground Match Date Scorecard

SG Barnes, DG Bradman 405 Australia v England Sydney 13 Dec 1946 Test # 280

SR Waugh, GS Blewett 385 Australia v South Africa Johannesburg 28 Feb 1997 Test # 1356

VVS Laxman, R Dravid 376 India v Australia Kolkata 11 Mar 2001 Test # 1535

Shakib Al Hasan, Mushfiqur Rahim 359 Bangladesh v New Zealand Wellington 12 Jan 2017 Test # 2246

GC Smith, AB de Villiers 338 South Africa v Pakistan Dubai (DSC) 23 Oct 2013 Test # 2100

MJ Clarke, MEK Hussey 334* Australia v India Sydney 3 Jan 2012 Test # 2027

AR Border, SR Waugh 332* Australia v England Leeds 22 Jul 1993 Test # 1227

JL Langer, RT Ponting 327 Australia v Pakistan Perth 26 Nov 1999 Test # 1472

BC Lara, JC Adams 322 West Indies v Australia Kingston 13 Mar 1999 Test # 1451

R Dravid, VVS Laxman 303 India v Australia Adelaide 12 Dec 2003 Test # 1673

SPD Smith, MR Marsh 301 Australia v England Perth 14 Dec 2017 Test # 2288

SC Ganguly, Yuvraj Singh 300 India v Pakistan Bengaluru 8 Dec 2007 Test # 1852

S Chanderpaul, D Ramdin 296* West Indies v Bangladesh Dhaka 13 Nov 2012 Test # 2057

CL Hooper, S Chanderpaul 293 West Indies v India Georgetown 11 Apr 2002 Test # 1598

Javed Miandad, Asif Iqbal 281 Pakistan v New Zealand Lahore 9 Oct 1976 Test # 782

SR Waugh, RT Ponting 281 Australia v West Indies Bridgetown 26 Mar 1999 Test # 1453

TT Samaraweera, TM Dilshan 280 Sri Lanka v Bangladesh Colombo (PSS) 20 Sep 2005 Test # 1766

MW Goodwin, A Flower 277* Zimbabwe v Pakistan Bulawayo 14 Mar 1998 Test # 1408

Z Crawley, JC Buttler 274* England v Pakistan Southampton 21 Aug 2020 Test # 2393

MJ Clarke, MEK Hussey 272 Australia v South Africa Adelaide 22 Nov 2012 Test # 2061

MTG Elliott, RT Ponting 268 Australia v England Leeds 24 Jul 1997 Test # 1373

JH Kallis, AG Prince 267 South Africa v West Indies St John's 29 Apr 2005 Test # 1750

Mohammad Ashraful, Mushfiqur Rahim 267 Bangladesh v Sri Lanka Galle 8 Mar 2013 Test # 2078

SM Nurse, GS Sobers 265 West Indies v England Leeds 4 Aug 1966 Test # 608

RR Sarwan, S Chanderpaul 262* West Indies v Bangladesh Kingston 4 Jun 2004 Test # 1703

Younis Khan, Asad Shafiq 259 Pakistan v Bangladesh Chattogram 9 Dec 2011 Test # 2022

Saleem Malik, Inzamam-ul-Haq 258 Pakistan v New Zealand Wellington 17 Feb 1994 Test # 1249

JH Kallis, AB de Villiers 256 South Africa v India Ahmedabad 3 Apr 2008 Test # 1871

SR Tendulkar, SK Raina 256 India v Sri Lanka Colombo (SSC) 26 Jul 2010 Test # 1966

KWR Fletcher, AW Greig 254 England v India Mumbai (BS) 6 Feb 1973 Test # 711

MJ Clarke, MJ North 253 Australia v New Zealand Wellington 19 Mar 2010 Test # 1955

Shoaib Malik, Asad Shafiq 248 Pakistan v England Abu Dhabi 13 Oct 2015 Test # 2180

WR Hammond, LEG Ames 242 England v New Zealand Christchurch 24 Mar 1933 Test # 225

SR Waugh, RT Ponting 239 Australia v India Adelaide 10 Dec 1999 Test # 1476

DCS Compton, NWD Yardley 237 England v South Africa Nottingham 7 Jun 1947 Test # 285

DJ Malan, JM Bairstow 237 England v Australia Perth 14 Dec 2017 Test # 2288

Soumya Sarkar, Mahmudullah 235 Bangladesh v New Zealand Hamilton 28 Feb 2019 Test # 2349

PA de Silva, ST Jayasuriya 234 Sri Lanka v Bangladesh Colombo (PSS) 21 Jul 2002 Test # 1609

S Chanderpaul, BP Nash 234 West Indies v England Port of Spain 6 Mar 2009 Test # 1914

GW Flower, GJ Whittall 233* Zimbabwe v Pakistan Harare 31 Jan 1995 Test # 1285

SE Marsh, SPD Smith 233 Australia v South Africa Centurion 12 Feb 2014 Test # 2119

MJ Clarke, MEK Hussey 228 Australia v South Africa Brisbane 9 Nov 2012 Test # 2056

V Kohli, RA Jadeja 225 India v South Africa Pune 10 Oct 2019 Test # 2364

AR Morris, DG Bradman 223* Australia v India Melbourne 1 Jan 1948 Test # 292

NJ Astle, CD McMillan 222 New Zealand v Zimbabwe Wellington 26 Dec 2000 Test # 1524

KR Miller, RG Archer 220 Australia v West Indies Kingston 11 Jun 1955 Test # 408

SR Tendulkar, V Sehwag 220 India v South Africa Bloemfontein 3 Nov 2001 Test # 1564

ED Weekes, BH Pairaudeau 219 West Indies v India Port of Spain 21 Jan 1953 Test # 363

RB Simpson, BC Booth 219 Australia v England Manchester 23 Jul 1964 Test # 564

BC Lara, S Chanderpaul 219 West Indies v England St John's 16 Apr 1994 Test # 1259

PD Collingwood, EJG Morgan 219 England v Pakistan Nottingham 29 Jul 2010 Test # 1967

Younis Khan, Asad Shafiq 219 Pakistan v South Africa Cape Town 14 Feb 2013 Test # 2073

PD Collingwood, MJ Prior 218 England v West Indies Port of Spain 6 Mar 2009 Test # 1914

AR Border, GM Ritchie 216 Australia v England Lord's 27 Jun 1985 Test # 1018

CL Hooper, S Chanderpaul 215 West Indies v India Bridgetown 2 May 2002 Test # 1601

M Azharuddin, RJ Shastri 214 India v England Kolkata 31 Dec 1984 Test # 1007

SR Tendulkar, VVS Laxman 214 India v West Indies Kolkata 30 Oct 2002 Test # 1622

Zaheer Abbas, Mudassar Nazar 213 Pakistan v India Karachi 23 Dec 1982 Test # 942

GM Ritchie, GRJ Matthews 213 Australia v New Zealand Wellington 21 Feb 1986 Test # 1035

AG Prince, HH Gibbs 213 South Africa v Pakistan Centurion 11 Jan 2007 Test # 1828

AG Prince, AB de Villiers 212 South Africa v England Leeds 18 Jul 2008 Test # 1881

KS Williamson, HM Nicholls 212 New Zealand v Pakistan Abu Dhabi 3 Dec 2018 Test # 2332

RB Kanhai, MLC Foster 210 West Indies v Australia Kingston 16 Feb 1973 Test # 714

DL Amiss, AW Greig 210 England v New Zealand Nottingham 7 Jun 1973 Test # 722

AR Border, SR Waugh 208 Australia v South Africa Adelaide 28 Jan 1994 Test # 1246

TT Samaraweera, TM Dilshan 207 Sri Lanka v Pakistan Lahore 1 Mar 2009 Test # 1912

Azhar Ali, Asad Shafiq 207 Pakistan v Bangladesh Dhaka 6 May 2015 Test # 2161

E Paynter, DCS Compton 206 England v Australia Nottingham 10 Jun 1938 Test # 263

F du Plessis, AB de Villiers 205 South Africa v India Johannesburg 18 Dec 2013 Test # 2108

SM Gavaskar, BP Patel 204 India v West Indies Port of Spain 24 Mar 1976 Test # 774

ME Waugh, AR Border 204 Australia v West Indies Melbourne 26 Dec 1992 Test # 1205

HDRL Thirimanne, LD Chandimal 203* Sri Lanka v Bangladesh Galle 8 Mar 2013 Test # 2078

BA Stokes, OJ Pope 203 England v South Africa Port Elizabeth 16 Jan 2020 Test # 2380

MH Denness, AW Greig 202 England v India Lord's 20 Jun 1974 Test # 740

SR Tendulkar, M Azharuddin 202 India v West Indies Nagpur 1 Dec 1994 Test # 1277

SM Patil, RJ Shastri 200 India v Pakistan Faisalabad 24 Oct 1984 Test # 996

GM Wood, SR Waugh 200 Australia v West Indies Perth 2 Dec 1988 Test # 1110

BC Lara, DJ Bravo 200 West Indies v Pakistan Multan 19 Nov 2006 Test # 1816
Last edited by Harmer on Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harmer
VIP User
VIP User

Post by Harmer »

Zak Crowley just passed Robert Key (221) (kent) in test individual score

Cong Crawley 222 not out partnership near 300, still 111 behind all time record by Bradman/Barnes in 1946 for 5th wicket vs eng