Ideas to improve cricket

This forum contains topics related to general cricket news
going south
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:14 pm
Reputation: 2

Ideas to improve cricket

Post by going south » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:45 pm

You missed the point.
You can’t practice on test cricket for 4 years and play Olympics in T20 format.
Duh!!!



Paddles
VIP User
VIP User
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:06 am
Reputation: 0
New Zealand

Re: Ideas to improve cricket

Post by Paddles » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:40 pm

going south wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:45 pm
You missed the point.
You can’t practice on test cricket for 4 years and play Olympics in T20 format.
Duh!!!
Sure you can. People play all 3 forms simultaneously right now. Who said you can't?

going south
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:14 pm
Reputation: 2

Re: Ideas to improve cricket

Post by going south » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:59 pm

Time for playing a test match is 5 days. You need a gap of 2 days before and after.
You can have 2 T20 matches within a day.
Now if you are looking at Olympics cricket, you can’t have test cricket at Olympics.
You would rather all cricket prior to Olympics (from last Olympics) solely on T20 to get experience so you you aim to win next time. If you DONT PLAY the game what’s the point in having cricket in Olympics?

raja
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:00 pm
Reputation: 1
Pakistan

Re: Ideas to improve cricket

Post by raja » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:28 pm

I don't understand the issue here.

If cricket is at the Olympics, it can be no longer than a T20 game.
Might even be a 100.
But max duration it will have will be a T20 game.

And there will be enough opportunity to practise T20 for Olympics.
Today many players are T20 specialists, so their Olympics readiness is not affected by how many Tests their country plays.
And those who are multi-format (like Bumrah and Stokes), can be managed by their Board to ensure their Olympics readiness.
Most of these countries who play Test cricket have their own T20 leagues anyway.
So it's really not such a big deal.

Would be great to see China or Saudi Arabia thrash BCCI at the Olympics. :-)

going south
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:14 pm
Reputation: 2

Re: Ideas to improve cricket

Post by going south » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:23 pm

The idea of playing for olympics is to make game popular around the world. Olympics got more visibility. If a new nation want to join cricket playing for Olympics what should they do? Copy a nation that’s already playing. Now if these nations play too many diff types of cricket that confuse the hell out it and discourage playing cricket all together. That’s the point you are missing.

Paddles
VIP User
VIP User
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:06 am
Reputation: 0
New Zealand

Re: Ideas to improve cricket

Post by Paddles » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:26 am

raja wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:28 pm
I don't understand the issue here.

If cricket is at the Olympics, it can be no longer than a T20 game.
Might even be a 100.
But max duration it will have will be a T20 game.


And there will be enough opportunity to practise T20 for Olympics.
Today many players are T20 specialists, so their Olympics readiness is not affected by how many Tests their country plays.
And those who are multi-format (like Bumrah and Stokes), can be managed by their Board to ensure their Olympics readiness.
Most of these countries who play Test cricket have their own T20 leagues anyway.
So it's really not such a big deal.

Would be great to see China or Saudi Arabia thrash BCCI at the Olympics. :-)
Its going to be t20 to sell cricket, but the CommonWealth Games did 50 over, and they go less days than Olympics do.

It just comes down to how they wanna schedule the games. Commonwealth Games did 4 pools of 4, so 3 pool games with only the winner going through to the semi finals (no quarterfinals).

But we all know it will be t20 format. There is a chance to get some more eyeballs watching cricket, and we want them seeing 6's and stumps flying.

raja
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:00 pm
Reputation: 1
Pakistan

Re: Ideas to improve cricket

Post by raja » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:28 am

going south wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:23 pm
The idea of playing for olympics is to make game popular around the world. Olympics got more visibility. If a new nation want to join cricket playing for Olympics what should they do? Copy a nation that’s already playing. Now if these nations play too many diff types of cricket that confuse the hell out it and discourage playing cricket all together. That’s the point you are missing.

3 different formats right now (maybe a 4th coming soon).

Countries that don't play Test or ODI cricket do not even need to get into the intricacies of these, if that's going to confuse them.

Let them only learn about T20 - and focus 100% on it.

If China knows only T20 from day one, they will specialise in it, and hopefully beat the crap out of BCCI one day.

See, there really is NO confusion. :)

You're just using this as another opportunity to bash Test cricket. :)

Paddles
VIP User
VIP User
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:06 am
Reputation: 0
New Zealand

Re: Ideas to improve cricket

Post by Paddles » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:31 am

raja wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:28 am
going south wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:23 pm
The idea of playing for olympics is to make game popular around the world. Olympics got more visibility. If a new nation want to join cricket playing for Olympics what should they do? Copy a nation that’s already playing. Now if these nations play too many diff types of cricket that confuse the hell out it and discourage playing cricket all together. That’s the point you are missing.

3 different formats right now (maybe a 4th coming soon).

Countries that don't play Test or ODI cricket do not even need to get into the intricacies of these, if that's going to confuse them.

Let them only learn about T20 - and focus 100% on it.

If China knows only T20 from day one, they will specialise in it, and hopefully beat the crap out of BCCI one day.

See, there really is NO confusion. :)

You're just using this as another opportunity to bash Test cricket. :)
Dude, I love you as a cricket fan brother, and you know so much about the game and its history, but you just exposed yourself here.

The whole ICC method is staggered.

You start with t20. Once you get good at that and rise up to a certain level. You then get 50 over opportunities. Once you get good enough at that, you then get tests.

That's the whole model. And AFG has nailed it.

Ireland and Kenya before them started before t20, so its been a bit more up and down. But the thing is, you have to prove competence at one, before you get the next. And that's a logical and fair system.

Paddles
VIP User
VIP User
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:06 am
Reputation: 0
New Zealand

Re: Ideas to improve cricket

Post by Paddles » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:35 am

going south wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:23 pm
The idea of playing for olympics is to make game popular around the world. Olympics got more visibility. If a new nation want to join cricket playing for Olympics what should they do? Copy a nation that’s already playing. Now if these nations play too many diff types of cricket that confuse the hell out it and discourage playing cricket all together. That’s the point you are missing.
its a pitch. 22 yards. three long poles. the batsman has a piece of willow with a handle.

C'mon dude, what are you on about?

And you know what? I love watching the challenge of a swinging ball in England, and I love watching the challenge of a dustbowl in India, and I even like the bounce attack if fair in Australia.

So - if there is a new way to play cricket, bring it on. I will enjoy that too.

raja
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:00 pm
Reputation: 1
Pakistan

Re: Ideas to improve cricket

Post by raja » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:23 am

Paddles wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:31 am
raja wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:28 am
going south wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:23 pm
The idea of playing for olympics is to make game popular around the world. Olympics got more visibility. If a new nation want to join cricket playing for Olympics what should they do? Copy a nation that’s already playing. Now if these nations play too many diff types of cricket that confuse the hell out it and discourage playing cricket all together. That’s the point you are missing.

3 different formats right now (maybe a 4th coming soon).

Countries that don't play Test or ODI cricket do not even need to get into the intricacies of these, if that's going to confuse them.

Let them only learn about T20 - and focus 100% on it.

If China knows only T20 from day one, they will specialise in it, and hopefully beat the crap out of BCCI one day.

See, there really is NO confusion. :)

You're just using this as another opportunity to bash Test cricket. :)
Dude, I love you as a cricket fan brother, and you know so much about the game and its history, but you just exposed yourself here.

The whole ICC method is staggered.

You start with t20. Once you get good at that and rise up to a certain level. You then get 50 over opportunities. Once you get good enough at that, you then get tests.

That's the whole model. And AFG has nailed it.

Ireland and Kenya before them started before t20, so its been a bit more up and down. But the thing is, you have to prove competence at one, before you get the next. And that's a logical and fair system.

My point was as a response to GS saying multiple formats will confuse new entrants.

Clearly T20 is the easiest format to embrace for any new entrant.
There's no need for it to start off by learning other formats.
If they excel in T20, they could become Olympic champions.

That would be huge for their country - and give cricket a great boost in that country.
Whether this translates into other formats, we have to see.

If it does, fantastic.
If it doesn't, that's ok too.

You can promote a sport, but whether it will pick up or not, is not in your hands.
Cricket is competing for time with a lot of other leisure activities, not just sports.
ICC's job is to promote cricket globally.
Not just Test cricket globally.

If in 25 years' time, 100+ countries are actively playing T20 cricket (like football), there are cricket grounds in these countries, you have a UECA league (like a UEFA league) , the ICC would have done a fantastic job of promoting the game.

Maybe we have only 15 Test playing countries, because only 3 more managed to make the cut to Test cricket. (We have 12 now?)
I'd certainly like it to be more, because Test cricket (for me) has a charm, but if more countries do not adopt it, despite ICC efforts, that's ok with me.

Afghanistan and Ireland took a certain route.
Doesn't mean other countries will take the same route.

Post Reply