Ideas to improve cricket

Post by going south » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:43 pm

Use this thread to discuss ideas to improve the greatest game on earth

going south
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ideas to improve cricket

Post by going south » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:43 pm

There is no accountability for umpire goof ups.
Here are some things that help.

1. Cut umpire salary for every DRS recall
2. Have a special budget that reward umpires if there are no DRS recalls
3. Make umpire run a lap around stadium at the end of game for each mistake (money cuts is not considered)
4. Increase number of DRS Review opportunity for each team. The game demand it.
5. Allocate more time for review as part of game time. Decrease DRS response and review time. Make it real-time.
6. Have an annual award and price money for umpire with least DRS review revoke decisions.
7. Replace umpire with a stick robot traffic signal style. Try experiment for couple of matches. I guess IPL can try it and see if it works out. If good everyone adopt.
8. Use drones/satellites to check noball foot work or run outs real time feed to stick umpire robot for green or red immediately.
9. Make hotspot technology for real time feed to give decisions right away.
10. Put a chip inside cricket ball with gps to detect impact, good for grounded catch.

3rd man
VIP User
VIP User
Ireland

Post by 3rd man » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:55 pm

The goal line technology used in football helps referees make such calls almost instantaneously. Surely this could be modified for cricket to show front foot NBs and run-outs??

3rd man
VIP User
VIP User
Ireland

Post by 3rd man » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:56 pm

...and while I'm here...

A better World Cup format

going south
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by going south » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:17 pm

3rd man wrote:...and while I'm here...

A better World Cup format
How about IPL format where top 2 teams get to play extra match chance ?

3rd man
VIP User
VIP User
Ireland

Post by 3rd man » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:59 am

going south wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:17 pm

How about IPL format where top 2 teams get to play extra match chance ?
Anything would be an improvement on the current format.

More teams should be there for starters. At least 12 but no more than 16.

First round should be round robin groups of 4. If you can't pull your shit together after two games - bye bye

Lets say a 12 team tournament:

3 x 4 team groups
Top 2 from each group go into a 'Super 6' with the top 2 contesting the final.
Less games will allow for the possibility of reserve days in case the weather isn't playing ball
Teams that don't reach the Super 6 don't automatically qualify for the next World Cup

3rd man
VIP User
VIP User
Ireland

Post by 3rd man » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:30 am

I would also like to see changes to the qualifying tournament. Not sure if its logistically possible but here goes....

Currently one country - the highest ranked one, hosts a 12 team tournament. I would prefer if the tournament was hosted over a number of countries, say 1 from each continent. So the teams that progress have proved themselves capable playing in various conditions from Bangladeshi dust bowls to Irish green-tops and whatever is in between.

Paddles
VIP User
VIP User
New Zealand

Post by Paddles » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:11 pm

Sorry 3rd man, I live you and love your passion for cricket, but I am going to be "that guy" here and say the ugly.

Kenya and Ireland have given the WC a wealth of upsets. But AFG did Scotland and Ireland no favours not even winning a single game this cup.

The 1992 was the full pool group, and first with coloured shirts and fielding circles, and is a cherished CWC. Because it was so thrilling. Noone likes super 6's, it leads to farcical result manufacturing like NZ and Aus did in 1999 to get back at each other, and what not (all above board, but raised some moral questions for some). The 2011 and 2015 WC's let teams get though to the final and totally avoid playing someone. 2015 - Aus never played SA. Not once.

This is what I want to see. Yes, I want to see Scotland and Ireland in the Cup. But I want them to be good enough to compete and win games. And not be a minnow who just turns up when they play England. The only way this will happen is when they start getting full seasons. And full tours. Its not like SA and NZ don't have a lot spare time to not be able to tour Ireland or Scotland. England last took us in 2015 and wont till 2023. We can send a team to Isles in winter. So can SA.

Stuff round robins, 1 pool, everyone play everyone, then semi's - yes Ireland and Scotland cricket have good claims to be there. Zimbo is going to dissappear and Brendon Taylor is one of my favourite players. More needs to be done for Ireland as a test nation. But they need games to be ready. They need tours and visitors. Playing high level cricket.

I'd be keen for NZ to send a non IPL player team with full intl status to Ireland and Scotland every year in May/June. Or a full blown team in Aug/Sep to warm us up.

Paddles
VIP User
VIP User
New Zealand

Post by Paddles » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:28 pm

I agree on automated front foot no balls, though. That needs to be done.

Paddles
VIP User
VIP User
New Zealand

Post by Paddles » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:04 pm

Please don't think I am being unduly harsh, but what stands out to me about the Soccer World Cup, vs the Rugby/Rugby League World Cup, is the Soccer World Cup, the teams belong there. Because so many teams don't make it. The Rugby World Cup is a joke until the quarter finals, with typically only one pool game being a tough match, and both teams more or less guaranteed to make the quarters. Right now in rugby there is a top 8, which only the Island nations and Argentina outside that top 8 are expected to cause problems at the RWC... Japan won 1 game, though. Once.

Constant blowouts are not a good spectacle. The way to change this doesn't change. We've seen it with all nations bar Aus and Eng. You give a team games, those guys won't win much, but they learn, they then teach the next generation - once you have experienced intl cricketers coaching and teaching things, at your domestic level, the intl team improves with better nurtured talent.

So I believe the cricket world does owe Scotland and Ireland especially as a tast member, matches. I believe the cricket world owed Zimbabwe more games too when they looked to rebuild post Mugabe crap. But they still had such horrid politics.

England has such a busy schedule, the onus is not on them solely. But they are using Scotland and Ireland as early season warm ups with Pakistan often. It is a start. But NZ and SA have a lot of spare time on the current FUture TOurs...