IPL 2018 - Live match thread

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked

Re: IPL 2018 - Live match thread

Postby Paddles » Sat May 26, 2018 1:33 am

Daanav wrote:I think SRH have to consider their team for the final carefully. Definitely drop Khalil Ahmed and bring back Sandeep Sharma, who should have had a rest and had his batteries recharged. With Bhuvi, Kaul, Sandeep, Rashid and Shakib playing SRH don't really need a 6th bowling option and IMO they should drop Brathwaite and bring Hales back. Also, Pathan seems to be somewhere else right now and probably would not even notice if they dropped him; Give Bipul Sharma a chance (and he can be a 6th bowler)

I'm not sure after Sandeep's last 4 games whether he will be trusted without a 6th option in support.

Brathwaite has done some good things in the last 2 games, so I have doubts he will be dropped. But if he is, I suspect it will be for Jordan (or on the outside - Nabi on a turner).

Moody has some big decisions to make because Thampi, Sandeep, Pathan, Hooda, Pandey, Saha (I know he had a good game last night), are just not getting it done and are being carried by their team mates. The slow middle order scoring is a big problem, and relying on Rashid and Carlos in 2 games now doesn't seem to be the percentages.

There's at least 2 places up for grabs Sandeep/Thampi and Pandey/Hooda, 3 if Carlos is dropped, and 4 if Saha is dropped again. And yet it may be the 5th spot of Pathan.

That is seriously almost half the team out of form or not commanding a position.

How SRH are winning is just a great tribute to RKhan and KW, ably supported by Dhawan of late with the bat, and BK with Shakib with the ball. Kaul overall has had a good season too.
Law 31.6 - benefit of the doubt for an dismissal appeal goes to the batsman
A third umpire call for a run out or stumping is a referral, not a review.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Sat May 26, 2018 3:23 am

raja wrote:
bolero wrote:I supported 2 teams, DD and SRH.SRH are through to finals.

More importantly I wanted KKR to lose.I hate KKR as much as some of you guys hate MI.

But why? :grin:

Cos of SRK?

I don't hate KKR, I just like SRH more. :-)

Of the 8 franchisees, there's only one I really want kicked out every single time. :-)

The others, I don't mind. :-)

SRK.Just can stand his nauseating presence. Luckily not much to be seen this season.

Daanav
CF Regular
CF Regular
United Kingdom

Postby Daanav » Sat May 26, 2018 8:20 am

bolero wrote:SRK.Just can stand his nauseating presence. Luckily not much to be seen this season.

It took me a while to figure out who "SRK" was but having done that, I wholeheartedly agree with Bolero's feelings. I feel the same.

Regarding SRH team - and many previously reliable Indian IPL players in general - I know that there are a lot of them have disappointed this season; Pandey, Pathan, Samson, Uthappa, Rana and to some extent even Kohli. But a team have to make-up an XI from what pool they have and as far as middle order goes, SRH don't have a great deal of choice. Let us look at it...and the bowling.

- Yusuf Pathan has been a total waste of space in all departments and I don't think anyone can argue about that. He certainly is not a bolwing option now and his batting form is so bad, I can probably get him out quickly. IMO, he can be replaced with Bipul Sharma, who is a genuine all rounder and so a 6th bowling option. Risky brining a new player in the Final but he cannot do much worse than Pathan.

- Khalil Ahmed came across as a poor bowler with no confidence. He is expected to be one of the main seamers and yet he was poor both in the PP and towards the latter stages. They have to bring back Sandeep Sharma who at least has the experience. At Wankhede, they need at least 3 main pace bowlers and CSK will have Ngidi, Chahar and Thakur with Bravo in support.

- IMO, using Kane Williamson as an opener exposes the fragile looking middle-order too soon; I'd prefer him at #3 or even #4 (DK did the similar thing himself for KKR and it worked for the most part). That is why SRH need Hales to open with Dhawan - one reason is being English the former will be used to swing bowling which Ngidi and Chahar are good at. If Bipul Sharma is included, he can come in at #3, thus giving him a few additional balls to acclimatize, followed by Williamson. I like Shakib at #5 and so they have to choose between Pandey and Hooda for #6; given the former's lack of confidence, my vote will be to give Hooda another chance. Saha can then come in at #7, followed by Rashid Khan, Bhuvi, Kaul and Sandeep.

I know that it is tempting to include Brathwaite's big hitting option but unlike Pollard for MI, he does not seem relaxed if put under pressure to accelerate in the middle overs or later. If you insist on including him, the only way might be to use him as a Narine style opener with Dhawan and leave Hales out. CSK usually don't use Jadeja in the PP and Harbhajan is not bowling well and so that might give Carlos a few 'hit-me' balls.

afghankhan
CF Champion
CF Champion
Denmark

Postby afghankhan » Sat May 26, 2018 9:36 am

Carlos Braithwaite was lucky he was not bowling to a proper batsman. If he was up against Dhoni, AB or another good player he would have been smashed for sixes. Rubbish bowling.

The Captaincy from Kane was also pretty ordinary in last two games. He should have bowled out Shakib. Very underrated bowler. Just because there is a lefthander he was held back - very bad decision when big wicket Lynn is so poor against spin. The only thing Braithwaite is good for is big hitting, but the guy has done 0 since he hit Stoke in WC final.

The final is 70/30 to CSK. A confident team, players in form, experienced team and already beaten SRH 3/3 this season.

The only way SRH is winning is if Rashid Khan has a blinder again.
[color=#400000]If you take me seriously it's your own fault[/color]

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sat May 26, 2018 10:07 am

afghankhan wrote:Carlos Braithwaite was lucky he was not bowling to a proper batsman. If he was up against Dhoni, AB or another good player he would have been smashed for sixes. Rubbish bowling.

The Captaincy from Kane was also pretty ordinary in last two games. He should have bowled out Shakib. Very underrated bowler. Just because there is a lefthander he was held back - very bad decision when big wicket Lynn is so poor against spin. The only thing Braithwaite is good for is big hitting, but the guy has done 0 since he hit Stoke in WC final.

The final is 70/30 to CSK. A confident team, players in form, experienced team and already beaten SRH 3/3 this season.

Haters gonna hate, but KW is sublime.

#mostrunsthisIPL
#bestcaptainthisIPL

Daanav
CF Regular
CF Regular
United Kingdom

Postby Daanav » Sat May 26, 2018 10:46 am

Kane Williamson is a superb captain, certainly the best of the 8 IPL teams by the way he rallies his players together. He has also led by setting an example with his batting for the most part. But he HAS made a few questionable decisions and in the T20 format we all know that can be crucial. One of the things that KW has missed a trick on is that he has not got the best of Shakib as a bowler. Shakib has been used more as a filler around the other four while he is a perfectly good attacking spinner himself at least as good as Jadeja, whom CSK use as their main spinner.

IMO, SRH should bring back Sandeep Sharma in Khalil's place and let him bowl overs 1, 3 and 5 with Bhuvi bowling 2 and 4 and Kaul the 6th. It would be risky trying a spinner in PP at Wankede which does not turn as much as Eden Gardens. After that Rashid and Shakib can bowl most of the middle overs with Kaul and Sandeep filling in with 1 over each. That would leave Kaul and Bhuvi with 2 overs each and as are SRH's standard death bowlers they should be kept aside for overs 17 to 20.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Sat May 26, 2018 11:00 am

I hope SRH wins but they have some weak areas Paddles / Daanav explained that before and I agree.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Sat May 26, 2018 11:02 am

I was surprised Shakib was not bowled his full quota. Kaul has done pretty well and KW did well to bowl him out.

Brathwaite is a risk along with Khalil. On a bad day, they could be taken for 25-30 runs in an over which would turn the game on its head.

Daanav
CF Regular
CF Regular
United Kingdom

Postby Daanav » Sat May 26, 2018 11:59 am

bolero wrote:Brathwaite is a risk along with Khalil. On a bad day, they could be taken for 25-30 runs in an over which would turn the game on its head.

Very true. But Brathwaite can be considered as a Pollard style hitter to be used flexibly depending on the situation and not bowl at all. Khalil has no such claim.

But the disadvantage Barthwaite has is that he is an overseas player which means that he would have to be considered in place of another. Since Williamson, Shakib and Rashid are not replaceable, Hales will have to take the chop as he has done in the past few matches to allow Brathwaite in. Personally I would prefer to keep Hales to open with Dhawan and have an Indian all-rounder as a 6th bowling option (with Khalil replaced by Sandeep Sharma). Bipul Sharma is worth a try.

But if Moody insists on keeping Brathwaite (maybe their similar sizes might have something to do with it :grin: ), then he should be sent to bat early so that he has some time to get used to the conditions. Relying on the big man to start throwing his bat around right away puts too much pressure on him. Most West Indians don't do so well under pressure.

afghankhan
CF Champion
CF Champion
Denmark

Postby afghankhan » Sat May 26, 2018 1:34 pm

Paddles wrote:
afghankhan wrote:Carlos Braithwaite was lucky he was not bowling to a proper batsman. If he was up against Dhoni, AB or another good player he would have been smashed for sixes. Rubbish bowling.

Haters gonna hate, but KW is sublime.

#mostrunsthisIPL
#bestcaptainthisIPL

I don't hate Kane :grin:

In fact he comes across as one of the nicest cricketers, so very difficult to dislike him.

And he's had an incredible IPL. Has carried SRH batting singlehandedly and been a brilliant captain for them. SRH by far most important player Warner has not been missed at all. Kane has been more than a perfect replacement.

It's just he did not get all things right in the last two games. Especially against KKR.

Next year I think SRH will be even more dangerous with Warner back, but surely Kane will remain as the captain?
[color=#400000]If you take me seriously it's your own fault[/color]

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Sat May 26, 2018 1:43 pm

well. KW got 5 good players and 5 “really” bad players. His skill is to hide 5 bad ones behind 5 good ones by mixing & matching pairs. There should never be 2 bad bowlers bowling both ends or 2 bad batsmen batting together. He need to switch bad bowlers constantly as soon as he smell staleness in the air, that he missed with thampi & brathwaite. same is for picking grand dad pathan for “batting” skills (?)

Raj92
CF Regular
CF Regular
India

Postby Raj92 » Sun May 27, 2018 9:48 am

PREVIEW: FINAL: CSK VS SRH
Knows everything who is Impact Batsmen,Impact Bowlers,Team Head to Head and Stats more http://bit.ly/2sfIuMk

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sun May 27, 2018 9:53 am

If SRH has to win, it will again have to be their bowling doing one final strangling act.
Come on, Rashid, Bhuvi and Siddharth - you can do it one last time!

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Sun May 27, 2018 10:30 am

batting need to fire. if they give low target with early wickets it would add more pressure to bowlers.

Daanav
CF Regular
CF Regular
United Kingdom

Postby Daanav » Sun May 27, 2018 12:45 pm

Negotiating Ngidi at the start will be vital for SRH, especially if they bat first. That is why I believe that it is important to include Hales and open with him. Both Saha and Goswami will be more vulnerable against that kind of pace and bounce. In fact, having Hales with him might give Dhawan more confidence as well.

Furthermore, Chahar will almost certainly open the bowling alongside Ngidi and at Wankhade the ball will swing early on. Winning the toss and bowling first would be the priority for both teams.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Sun May 27, 2018 1:07 pm

loved KW hair style. so unlike him.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Sun May 27, 2018 1:43 pm

slow start by SRH. already 1 down.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Sun May 27, 2018 1:48 pm

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sun May 27, 2018 2:16 pm

62/1 after 8.
Excellent so far.
Now to keep going.
If they can take it to 170, that would be huge in a final.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sun May 27, 2018 2:25 pm

Am going to set my own targets so as to get to 170 after 20.
Now 70 after 9.

Targets:
12 - 97
15 - 125
17-146
19-160
20-170

Come to think of it, 170 should be quite doable from here.
The targets I've set are very reasonable. No big overs expected.
One big over and we're looking at 180.

Come on, guys!

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sun May 27, 2018 2:31 pm

There's a big over - 17 off it.
Shakib takes a liking to Jadeja. :-)

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sun May 27, 2018 2:36 pm

So after 12, we're at 101.
+4 on my target so far. :-)

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sun May 27, 2018 2:37 pm

Kane gone!

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sun May 27, 2018 2:40 pm

Bravo has conceded the most number of runs in an IPL season. :-)

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sun May 27, 2018 2:50 pm

126/3 after 15.
My target was 125.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sun May 27, 2018 2:54 pm

Shakib gone!

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sun May 27, 2018 3:03 pm

144/5 after 17.
My target was 146.
Still think we're good for 170 at least.
Yousuf Pathan is still in there.
Maybe he can push it to 175-180.

Hooda gone.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sun May 27, 2018 3:04 pm

Brathwaite in.
We really should not settle for under 180 now.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sun May 27, 2018 3:07 pm

Oh, I miscalculated.
Planned only 14 runs in overs 18-19, when I meant 24.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Sun May 27, 2018 3:15 pm

do we get 180?

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sun May 27, 2018 3:20 pm

178 then.

I think we have the bowling to pull this off.

C'mon bowlers, over to you now. You've got a decent score to defend!

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sun May 27, 2018 3:23 pm

GS, this is your final frontier. :-)

https://twitter.com/ajarrodkimber/statu ... 4594473986

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Sun May 27, 2018 3:29 pm

That wasnt too bad for SRH.

178 - they must be backing themselves at half time despite dew.

Goodluck team orange!

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Sun May 27, 2018 3:30 pm

raja wrote:GS, this is your final frontier.

https://twitter.com/ajarrodkimber/statu ... 4594473986

hahaha. If i were a British test cricket fan i would do the same following T20.

TEST CRICKET is DEAD in UK.

we had one as far & deep as in Guntur too. Dubai fan park is one of the best & biggest to see IPL.

it’s a great trend to have IPL parks. shop, eat food. roam. have fun. meanwhile watch cricket on biggest screens. bliss!!

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Sun May 27, 2018 3:35 pm

get 30/3 before rashid come in. ;)

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Sun May 27, 2018 3:54 pm

good break thru. 16/1.

need more wickets. pressure

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Sun May 27, 2018 3:57 pm

i like bhuvi bowling 3 overs now itself. don’t save 2 and waste at the end. he can use it as change bowler later.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Sun May 27, 2018 3:59 pm

20/1 after 5 overs.
controlled bowling. need 2 wickets before 30 score. if not it would slip away.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Sun May 27, 2018 4:02 pm

time to hide sundeep and introduce spin.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Sun May 27, 2018 4:12 pm

that’s disaster bowling. need some change. too much pressure on rashid now.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Sun May 27, 2018 4:23 pm

Kaul getting roughed up.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sun May 27, 2018 4:29 pm

Siddharth Kaul has spoilt it.
The rest have done so well to keep up the pressure.
Need to break this partnership, then get rid of Dhoni.
I think only then we can relax a bit.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Sun May 27, 2018 4:32 pm

Shakibull Hasan also being smashed.

Shane Watson stepping on the gas here.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sun May 27, 2018 4:34 pm

Ok, now Siddharth Kaul has taken over the dubious record from Dwayne Bravo - most runs conceded in an IPL season.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Sun May 27, 2018 4:36 pm

They need to get 3 overs from Brathwaite to cover for the other bowlers.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sun May 27, 2018 4:40 pm

Watson has really turned it up in this over.
Sandeep being taken to the cleaners.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Sun May 27, 2018 4:42 pm

52 needed from 43 balls.
easy with 9 wickets on hand

waiting for miracles.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sun May 27, 2018 4:43 pm

27 off the over.
I think that could well be the trophy.
Only hope now is Rashid.
Bring him back, Kane!

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sun May 27, 2018 4:44 pm

Bhuvi has one over, Rashid two.
SRH desperately need wickets - others going for plenty.
Don't wait till 19th/20th to use these guys; it might not go that far.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sun May 27, 2018 4:47 pm

Yessss!
Raina gone.
Still a bit of hope - need to get Dhoni though.
And Watson too, of course.