South Africa vs Australia: Test Series; March 1 to April 3, 2018 in South Africa

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Cash on hand: Locked
Australia

Re: South Africa vs Australia: Test Series; March 1 to April 3, 2018 in South Africa

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:29 am

Katto wrote:
baggygreenmania wrote:Who will be our next coach? Six possible candidates.. Langer, Ponting, Gillespie, Bayliss, Saker, Haddin? Why has Steven Waugh not been approached oe Shane Warne?

It'll probably be Langer because all the momentum is with him.
I think Perth Scorchers performances are overrated though. They've been successful because they've kept a state based team so there is stability whereas all the other franchise players are swapping states mid season.
Other than taking the Scorchers to a BBL title. what else has Alfie achieved during his tenure.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Re: South Africa vs Australia: Test Series; March 1 to April 3, 2018 in South Africa

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:32 am

Ponting has stated he does not want a full time coaching position. pencil him in for our T20 side. Saker or Haddin have not coached. My first choice is Bayliss. Has a terrific record. Dizzy is my second choice. Took Yorkshire to consecutive ECC titles.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:07 am

baggygreenmania wrote:
Katto wrote:
It'll probably be Langer because all the momentum is with him.
I think Perth Scorchers performances are overrated though. They've been successful because they've kept a state based team so there is stability whereas all the other franchise players are swapping states mid season.
Other than taking the Scorchers to a BBL title. what else has Alfie achieved during his tenure.

that's my point

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:07 am

baggygreenmania wrote:Ponting has stated he does not want a full time coaching position. pencil him in for our T20 side. Saker or Haddin have not coached. My first choice is Bayliss. Has a terrific record. Dizzy is my second choice. Took Yorkshire to consecutive ECC titles.

Bayliss is doing such a fine job with England

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:20 am

re swing, I don't think it ever swings much at the Wanderers due to the altitude

for swing you need some air resistance, the more the better

Cummins got a little bit after 70 overs, but there was no new ball swing to speak of

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:47 am

Chadd Sayers debut summarised...

Australia’s greatest ever wicket-taker was less than impressed by Sayers’ offerings on day one at the Wanderers, suggesting he would’ve preferred to see the younger Jhye Richardson given the nod.

“I was looking for something different – or if it would be same ball after same ball,” Warne said in commentary.

“(Former West Indian fast bowler) Michael Holding picked up he was bowling the same spot every time.

“I’m waiting for him to settle in and get over the nerves. I don’t think he’s bowled one short ball yet.

“Pretty predictable what he bowls and it’s not very fast.

“If you’re going to bowl that slow-medium pace, you’ve got to do something with the ball.

“I’ve been looking to see what clever stuff he does, whether it’s wide of the crease, cross the seam, rolls his fingers across one, bowls a slower ball.

“But it just looks like it’s the same ball every time – very slow medium pace and not much movement.

“Sayers looks like a flat bowler.... like you could line him up. I’m a bit worried about what I see.”

The Cricket Prof.
@CricProf
Chadd Sayers' average speed today is similar to Vernon Philander's in the series (around 127.5 km/hr) & gotten more swing (1.25° v 0.95°) & more seam (0.71° v 0.63°).

The difference could be in the lines - Sayers' been 30% wider to right-handers than Philander so far.#SAvAus

Former South African captain Graeme Smith agreed — arguing Sayers’ 125kmh offerings were no different to that of what all-rounder Mitchell Marsh brought to the attack.

“Mitchell Marsh could be doing this job for Australia — he’s no different,” Smith said.

“(Australia) could’ve picked a more attacking selection.”

Sayers bounced back with the second new ball, however, to leave a lasting impression on day one.

The 30-year-old landed one of the most prized wickets in Test cricket for his first scalp, having AB de Villiers caught behind for a key breakthrough in the shadows of stumps.

The South African superstar has been near impossible to dismiss this series, and even he didn’t believe he’d fallen to Sayers and instantly reviewed the decision — which confirmed he’d sent a faint inside edge through to the keeper.

Two balls later Sayers had tricky nightwatchman Kagiso Rabada for a second-ball duck — giving Australia a considerable boost late in the day.

Neither Warne nor Smith were in commentary when Sayers was getting pats on the back all around by his teammates.

The king of spin was happy to pay the seamer a compliment of Twitter post-play, though it was hardly high praise.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/au ... e7de405604

Loose halo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Loose halo » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:33 am

I would prefer Gillespie as coach by a mile he is a gentleman and will communicate better with the media. Langer would be still favourite I guess.

Verity
CF Champion
CF Champion

Postby Verity » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:13 am

I don't think Australia can become a dominate force without a hard style of play, sledging and hard cricket is what sets Australia apart from the rest, we went through a mild period around 2010/11 and the bowling attack couldn't even get a wicket, England got scores of 3/600 :lol:

without the hard style of play Australia will do nothing.
Go to Live Games Forum to take part in "I hold a gun to your head" Games.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:16 am

Are we saying that Australia lacks skills to win a game fair and square?
Without cheating or mental games?

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:22 am

raja wrote:Are we saying that Australia lacks skills to win a game fair and square?

that seems to be the general consensus among cricket fans

Verity
CF Champion
CF Champion

Postby Verity » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:25 am

raja wrote:Are we saying that Australia lacks skills to win a game fair and square?

Australian cricketers have always used a hard style to get into the heads of there opponents, its fact and when for example Nevill was keeper there was no talk in the field and we struggled big time, intensity is needed imo..
Go to Live Games Forum to take part in "I hold a gun to your head" Games.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:54 am

Katto wrote:
baggygreenmania wrote:Ponting has stated he does not want a full time coaching position. pencil him in for our T20 side. Saker or Haddin have not coached. My first choice is Bayliss. Has a terrific record. Dizzy is my second choice. Took Yorkshire to consecutive ECC titles.

Smashed 4-0 by India 4-0 by Aussies.. getting a work over by the Kiwis. How have they been at home under Bayliss during his tenure? Bayliss' contract ends next year. What do you think his preference would be if given the choice.. coach England or Australia?
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:08 am

Verity wrote:I don't think Australia can become a dominate force without a hard style of play, sledging and hard cricket is what sets Australia apart from the rest, we went through a mild period around 2010/11 and the bowling attack couldn't even get a wicket, England got scores of 3/600 :lol:

without the hard style of play Australia will do nothing.
bulls***. Every generation we produce a handful of champions with the ability to win us matches.. So little need for that edge that getting into a players mind brings. Expect that "hard style of play" to now be replaced with a calmer, more mature style of play where the bat and ball do the talking for us not potty mouths. Had Boof stayed he would have promoted this policy. Hope the next coach does. We have to win back the respect of other cricketing nations.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:08 am

baggygreenmania wrote:
Katto wrote:
Smashed 4-0 by India 4-0 by Aussies.. getting a work over by the Kiwis. How have they been at home under Bayliss during his tenure? What do you think his preference would be if given the choice.. coach England or Australia?

his preference is irrelevant, but he's not exactly setting the world on fire

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:58 am

So many going past the outside edge

I can just see the Aussies nicking everything when they bat

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:44 am

only a decade ago with mcgrath & warne they had it, not now.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:10 am

Katto wrote:
baggygreenmania wrote: Smashed 4-0 by India 4-0 by Aussies.. getting a work over by the Kiwis. How have they been at home under Bayliss during his tenure? What do you think his preference would be if given the choice.. coach England or Australia?

his preference is irrelevant, but he's not exactly setting the world on fire
If given the choice to coach his home country it becomes very relevant. Could be his heart was not really in it being in charge of the old enemy. Of all the candidates Bayliss is the only one with international expererience. Another local who was being talked about a couple of years ago was Tom Moody.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:17 am

Katto wrote:So many going past the outside edge

I can just see the Aussies nicking everything when they bat

Hazlewood had ball seaming and beating bat repeatedly. Huge improvement on yesterday.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:28 am

Off topic: Our women are keeping the flag flying in India pummelling the Poms into submission in a T20 tri series final tonite. Champion Meg Lanning led the Southern Stars to victory with scintilating 88.

Tinsel
CF Regular
CF Regular
Bank: Locked
Australia

Postby Tinsel » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:04 am

baggygreenmania wrote:Off topic: Our women are keeping the flag flying in India pummelling the Poms into submission in a T20 tri series final tonite. Champion Meg Lanning led the Southern Stars to victory with scintilating 88.

I watched live game with shortest Bountry line, I ever witness. aus.Fielding was very good.Cong.

Here SOA 412 / 7 Bavuma 67* not out
OMG .....caught....
Last edited by Tinsel on Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Axar & Chahal failed to take wicket at Banglore vs Proteas A

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:13 am

Joe Burns for someone of medium build is the worst athlete I've ever seen
awful fielder

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:33 am

Tinsel wrote:
baggygreenmania wrote:Off topic: Our women are keeping the flag flying in India pummelling the Poms into submission in a T20 tri series final tonite. Champion Meg Lanning led the Southern Stars to victory with four laden 88.

I watched live game with shortest Bountry line, I ever witness. aus.Fielding was very good.Cong.

Here SOA 412 / 7 Bavuma 67* not out
OMG .....caught....

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:34 am

C'mon someone finish this. Missing Starc here with his ability to polish off the tail.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:44 am

baggygreenmania wrote:C'mon someone finish this. Missing Starc here with his ability to polish off the tail.

you mean sand it off

too soon? :)

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:08 pm

I think Lyon has been over bowled
he's out on his feet

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:10 pm

Lyon is being taken to the cleaners here.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:11 pm

Maharaj gone.
Will Bavuma get his 100?
I say he will.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:14 pm

poor Temba
his own fault he was too slow though

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:14 pm

jinxed

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:15 pm

well deserved five for Cummo.

How a big test of character for our new look batting lineup.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:15 pm

poor man's Pattinson/Wagner gets 5 for in the most trying of circumstances

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:16 pm

raja wrote:Lyon is being taken to the cleaners here.
was going to post same raja..word for word.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:16 pm

Aussies overdoing this nice guy thing.
There comes a point where it can look contrived and stupid.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:22 pm

Katto wrote:Aussies overdoing this nice guy thing.
dont agree. Trying to create a new culture. You can be cynical.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:25 pm

Time to face the music Baggies.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:31 pm

baggygreenmania wrote:
Katto wrote:Aussies overdoing this nice guy thing.
dont agree. Trying to create a new culture. You can be cynical.

You don't want to over do it else it looks dishonest.
All they have to do at this point is don't act like dicks and it'll already be a 100% improvement.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:32 pm

Katto wrote:poor Temba
his own fault he was too slow though
A good gutsy knock.. but how many times did he play and miss.. specially against Hazey and Leo.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:33 pm

that 488 = about 650 in good batting conditions

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:35 pm

follow on and innings defeat is what i dream on now. ;)

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:51 pm

Burns fails the test. No need to play at that. Is precisely the way he was getting out in the first part of his Test career.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:55 pm

This deck has come to life.. wrong time for us.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:25 pm

Why did Renners play at that wide one. He had been looking good.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:32 pm

holy mother of god

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:33 pm

Handscomb plays on now. Our 3 new blokes contributed 12 runs.. brilliant!!

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:33 pm

baggygreenmania wrote:This deck has come to life.. wrong time for us.

nah, South Africa have just been better in all depts

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:39 pm

No Smithy to dig us out of holes for the next year. Will have to find someone else.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:18 pm

I don't remember them taking tea. Did that happen at the innings break?

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:02 pm

the bee saves Marsh

wow! first time I ever saw that

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:11 pm

This is just poor batting.
Poor judgment by each of these guys.
Bowling is decent-to-good, nothing spectacular.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:14 pm

I'm still not convinced by Mitch Marsh
that was a rubbish way to get out