South Africa vs Australia: Test Series; March 1 to April 3, 2018 in South Africa

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Cash on hand: Locked
Pakistan

Re: South Africa vs Australia: Test Series; March 1 to April 3, 2018 in South Africa

Postby raja » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:22 pm

So will we save this?
Rabada is bowling this first over but I don't think he'll bowl too many.
Morkel is out anyway.
Philander is injured?

Surely we're not going to let Maharaj and Elgar win this for SA?

Come on, guys!
Show some fight.

Tinsel
CF Regular
CF Regular
Bank: Locked
Australia

Re: South Africa vs Australia: Test Series; March 1 to April 3, 2018 in South Africa

Postby Tinsel » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:26 pm

baggygreenmania wrote:
Tinsel wrote:Aus.need 612 to win
Morkal/Rabada/ElGar/Philly/Maharaj will bowls.
Word is Rabada wont bowl today..not sure about tomorrow. Philander also has a groin niggle so is not 100%. Expect the spinners Maharaj and Elgar to do a lot of bowling tomorrow.

Maharaj on phone with Jadeja nothing will. Help Australia because special. Instructions given to kM on how to destroy second string Australians
Agarwal 151,Shaw 132,Gill 86: in 50/50 in Eng.: 51-4s & 15-6s.
(458 for 4) @ Lecester.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:08 pm

Morkel is also bowling. Word was he had a side strain. Philly also carrying a groin niggle. Would not think so way he is bowling.

Tinsel
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby Tinsel » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:14 pm

Morne removed Renshaw in single digit
1 down 21
(458 for 4) @ Lecester.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:15 pm

Wait! Wasn't Morkel supposed to be out of this match?
Now he comes in to bowl - and picks up a wicket?

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:17 pm

Renshaw goes. Did we choose the wrong blokes as replacements. Do they have the temperament?

Tinsel
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby Tinsel » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:20 pm

baggygreenmania wrote:Renshaw goes. Did we choose the wrong blokes as replacements. Do they have the temperament?

Renshaw wrong choice in anywhere else than India
(458 for 4) @ Lecester.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:45 pm

Khawaja continues to be like Rohit Sharma.
A string of low scores, then a 50 or 100, so keeps his place.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:07 pm

But....they are not home games against lankans or Bangladeshi. ;)

I say 53 from first innings is good batting compared other “rock star” batsmen who went out cheap.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:06 pm

So to hear Elgar speak of the Wanderers Test match as his most "docile" against Australia, and to hear him question how long the fast bowlers in particular can "hold their tongues" when bowling to him, is to recognise how drastically different the team, now led by Tim Paine, has tried to be this week. Throughout a 250-ball stay that would usually have attracted plenty of unflattering Australian commentary, Elgar was mainly faced with the sounds of silence.

As crazy devotee of the purest form of our great game.. this statement gladdens my heart and makes me as so proud to be an Aussie and to follow our Baggy Greens. Reckon when other Aussies read this they will feel the same. The new culture being spoken about for Australian cricket has started to be cultivated in this test.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:17 pm

Going South wrote:But....they are not home games against lankans or Bangladeshi. ;)

I say 53 from first innings is good batting compared other “rock star” batsmen who went out cheap.

I have always rated Khawaja but this 53 was only his second half century on tour. Other five innings he barely reached double figures. Not very productive for such a talented batsman. We really needed Ussie to be at his best this series and he was not. With the skipper and his deputy sidelined senior players such as him need to stand up and take this new look team forward.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:27 pm

Tinsel wrote:
baggygreenmania wrote:Renshaw goes. Did we choose the wrong blokes as replacements. Do they have the temperament?

Renshaw wrong choice in anywhere else than India
I dont believe he is the wrong choice. Rather I believe he will be Australia's long term opener. But he needed to show more character than he has shown in both innings.. being drawn into driving at wide balls he should have left. You expect Warner to do that not Matthew Renshaw. Perhaps coming back into the side under such circumtances was too much pressure for the young man. Understandable as he has just turned 22. Joe Burns was fully settled so it is disappointing that he did not go on. As for Ussie was he playing a shot? How far did that ball turn that struck his pad? Would have pictured Shane Warne having bowled it instead of Maharaj a finger spinner.. a very good one may I add. He has outbowled Lyon on this tour.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:39 pm

"They were that nice to us in New Zealand and we were that uncomfortable," Haddin had said. "I said in the team meeting: 'I can't stand for this anymore, we're going at them as hard as we can.' It was that uncomfortable. All they were was that nice to us for seven days. I said, 'I'm not playing cricket like this. If we get another crack at these guys in the final I'm letting everything [out]'.

Is there room in the new set up for someone who espouses these views? I think not. In fact with the departure of the head coach all his assistants should follow Lehmann out the door and we can start fresh with new coaching faces.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:45 am

New captain Tim Paine signalled a less verbally aggressive approach by the Australians, after taking over from Steve Smith in the wake of the ball-tampering scandal which prompted outgoing coach Darren Lehmann to acknowledge that the way Australia played cricket needed a culture change.

"It's odd," said Elgar, who is playing his tenth Test against Australia. "It's definitely the most docile Test (against Australia) since I played Test cricket. I'm pretty sure it's not going to last very long."

As a batsman who has faced more balls than any other player in the series, Elgar is ideally placed to comment on on-field attitudes, although he says he has always enjoyed the challenge posed by verbal jousts.

STITCH UP: Outrage over South Africa's dodgy decision

"You've got to have a tenacious approach sometimes in Test cricket," he said. "Nice guys come second. You've got to have an element of proper fight out there and sooner or later if your bowlers are clocking massive overs and they are biting their tongue they're going to unleash something.

"There are a lot of frustrations in Test cricket and a lot of frustrations happen in five days. It's only human nature for guys to potentially say words to each other but that's fine. If you're not personal and you just have a competitive edge on the field I'm extremely happy with that."

As an example he described his series-long battle with Australian off-spinner Nathan Lyon as "great". Lyon has dismissed Elgar four times but has bowled many overs to him.

"It's been a battle between two guys who are highly competitive. He's had the edge over me but he's also bowled a helluva lot of balls at me as well and I know I've really frustrated him in the last two days," said Elgar.

"It's been an awesome battle. He's someone I'll have a beer with after the game no doubt. We've done it in the past and nothing is going to keep us from doing it now."

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/cricket/a/3 ... -approach/

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:20 am

:oops: :oops: :oops:

“It’s worth noting that he had the high profile Sydney PR woman Roxy Jacenko with him on the day sitting with his wife Candice at the press conference,” Penberthy said on Adelaide radio station FIVEaa.

“One of the reasons apparently that Warner didn’t answer so many questions is that he’s keeping his powder dry for a tell all interview — part of the strategy that is being spearheaded by Roxy Jacenko.

“He’s taken a six million dollar hit in terms of his earnings. He can recoup at least a million of that from the Nine network or Seven network.

“That’s apparently why he’s keeping his mouth shut when he’s being asked obvious questions.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/au ... 1b0fbf461c

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:26 am

This is absolute rubbish batting

95-6

at least this should be over by lunch and end this fiasco

Tinsel
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby Tinsel » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:31 am

What is the highest runs of defeat in test cricket?
I think in t20i SL beat Kenya 172 runs but not sure in test format.

England beat Australian by 675 runs was the highest runs defeat in 1928, I think this record must be wrong , it could be 575

Australia beat Pakistan by 491 runs in Aus, but yesterday, Aus beaten in SOA by 492 runs.
Last edited by Tinsel on Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
(458 for 4) @ Lecester.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:38 am

dunno, we're probably looking at it

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:41 am

Innings and 579 runs England (903–7 d) beat Australia (201 & 123)

this one
http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/1754 ... land-1938/

interesting scorecard and personnel

must be a story behind this match

it was a timeless test on a road
http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... grind-1938

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:46 am

This'll be over in the first hour the way we're going

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:52 am

Philander has got 5 wickets in 50 minutes

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:54 am

wickets dropping so fast they'd falling during ad breaks

bye bye Sayers. No more test cricket for you.

If this was soccer this'd be equivalent to a 10-0 loss

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:10 am

Philly going thru us like a swarm of locusts. Pathetic show of character Baggies. I can see some heads for the chopping block now.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:16 am

baggygreenmania wrote:Philly going thru us like a swarm of locusts. Pathetic show of character Baggies. I can see some heads for the chopping block now.

Shaun Marsh has done nothing all series

Handscomb looks as bad as he did during the Ashes. No idea why they took him on tour. Should've sent him back to finish the shield season and find some form.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:17 am

Maharaj comes on to get a another soft wicket...

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:22 am

a run out would be a fitting end to this series

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:25 am

Paine and Cummins about the only two that can hold their head proudly. Mitch Marsh did some good things early but dropped off. Josh Hazlewood never stopped trying but just could not crack vital wickets like his Blues bowling mate.

My series top X1.
Elgar
Markram
Amla
De Villiers
Khawaja
Paine
Philander
Cummins
Rabada
Maharaj.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:30 am

Josh Hazlewood no better than Lyon who didn't stop trying either.
In fact if Hazlewood and Sayers/Starc got more wickets Lyon would'nt have to have been overbowled as he has been

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:34 am

Shane Warne finally gets one of his nicknames to stick "Surgeon"

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:44 am

Should be the last time we see Shaun Marsh..possibly Mitch too who did not cemented his spot. Handscomb should be sacked until he rectifies his technique. Khawaja is hanging by the skin of his teeth. Renshaw and Burns came into the side under difficult circumstances so should be given further games. Starc and Hazlewood did not get the wickets they would have liked. Chris Tremain is putting pressure on both of them. If we are looking for a genuine swing bowling leftie then we have one in Nick Winter. Take a gamble and pick him for the ODI is England. Lyon is another who many would say under performed. Figures clearly show he was outbowled by SA spinner Maharaj. On a positive note Paine did a great job with the bat and when called on to take over the reins from Smithy. Cummins was our outstanding bowler and backed that up with very useful runs.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:47 am

One word.Collapse.Expected a fight.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:52 am

Katto wrote:Shane Warne finally gets one of his nicknames to stick "Surgeon"
Philly most certainly disected us today with precision. He is so dangerous as he has the ability to exploit any movement off deck or in air with his slower pace. Who said you have to bowl 140kph to be a success. Philly proves you do not Lehmann. Aussie cricket needs a bowler like this. There is no one similar in domestic cricket that I saw? Sayers bowls a similar pace but lacks the same skills..
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:55 am

bolero wrote:One word.Collapse.Expected a fight.
We were like shot ducks on the first day of the hunting season. Seems the scandal has taken its toll. Lots of soul searching now until we next front up in a test series. Congrats Proteas.. too good.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:06 am

baggygreenmania wrote:Should be the last time we see Shaun Marsh..possibly Mitch too who did not cemented his spot. Handscomb should be sacked until he rectifies his technique. Khawaja is hanging by the skin of his teeth. Renshaw and Burns came into the side under difficult circumstances so should be given further games. Starc and Hazlewood did not get the wickets they would have liked. Chris Tremain is putting pressure on both of them. If we are looking for a genuine swing bowling leftie then we have one in Nick Winter. Take a gamble and pick him for the ODI is England. Lyon is another who many would say under performed. Figures clearly show he was outbowled by SA spinner Maharaj. On a positive note Paine did a great job with the bat and when called on to take over the reins from Smithy. Cummins was our outstanding bowler and backed that up with very useful runs.

I think Cummins gets an A, Paine a B, Lyon a C, Hazlewood a C- and all the others an F

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:32 am

Katto wrote:
baggygreenmania wrote:Should be the last time we see Shaun Marsh..possibly Mitch too who did not cement his spot. Handscomb should be sacked until he rectifies his technique. Khawaja is hanging by the skin of his teeth. Renshaw and Burns came into the side under difficult circumstances so should be given further games. Starc and Hazlewood did not get the wickets they would have liked. Chris Tremain is putting pressure on both of them. If we are looking for a genuine swing bowling leftie then we have one in Nick Winter. Take a gamble and pick him for the ODI is England. Lyon is another who many would say under performed. Figures clearly show he was outbowled by SA spinner Maharaj. On a positive note Paine did a great job with the bat and when called on to take over the reins from Smithy. Cummins was our stand out bowler and backed that up with very useful runs.

I think Cummins gets an A, Paine a B, Lyon a C, Hazlewood a C- and all the others an F
yep I will go with that. Warnie said something similar.

Loose halo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Loose halo » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:46 am

Stoinis has to come in along with Travis head.

Who else? :(

Latest rumour Smith may play county cricket his Father being English and all.

Crash Craddock says tonight it well may be workable.

The off air rumour is Warner may sue SA for defaming his wife and may also name names in the Aussie team in court.

Also Warner may reveal all for a million dollars or so sooner rather than later.

That woman consoling Mrs Warner at Warner's conference is the one with the offer.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:00 am

Oh boy, what was that????

Is there a noon flight from Joburg to Sydney that these guys wanted to catch?

I guess this is a series that every Aussie would like to forget in a hurry.

I was just thinking - this is the first series in a while in which Smith himself failed. And see how badly it exposed Australia!

Been saying for a long time, this is a terrible batting line-up.

Smith was holding it up all this while.

Warner would get the odd hundred, Shaun Marsh surprisingly did well in the Ashes - but I always got the feeling that this was a flakey line-up. No solidity.

I wouldn't blame these 11 today though. It was done and dusted anyway - maybe they could have shown a bit of fight, but they are mentally and physically tired.

Go back home, guys, get some rest.

As for RSA, congratulations to louie_db9, Aneesmoha and any other Saffers / supporters we have here.

Fantastic performance, even if the last game was against a mentally broken opponent.

Almost everyone contributed for RSA - Rabada, Philander just outstanding.

Didn't miss Steyn at all!

And the batting too just ground Aussies to the dust.

Markram, Elgar, ABDV put up their hands - Amla and Faf less so.

All in all, RSA on top of the world right now - and deservedly so.

And a final word for Morne - fantastic to end your career on this winning note. Came back to bowl (though injured) and picked up two top-order wickets. Wish him a lot of good luck in his future.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:16 am

Congrats to south African team and fans.
Totally deserving kick ass dominating win. 492 run win. wow. They could have saved misery & torture to Australians by declaring earlier. Hope their goodwill gesture of prolonging the game would get some money to the Australian sponsors IF ANY ARE LEFT.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:22 am

they are RSA

SA is taken

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:23 am

remember though, Australia is like bitcoin
when they hit bottom they bounce back hard

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:29 am

Katto wrote:they are RSA

SA is taken

:grin:

Changed my post accordingly.

Yes, there is only one SA - the land of Sir Don, Chappelli and Katto. :-)

Though Chappelli might not like to be mentioned in the same sentence, next to Sir Don.

He doesn't think too highly of him, does he? :-)

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:39 am

Katto wrote:remember though, Australia is like bitcoin

ROFL.
favorite for all financial crooks, banned by many countries and governments.
very apt indeed.
“fake” is the right word.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:42 am

Going South wrote:
Katto wrote:remember though, Australia is like bitcoin

ROFL.
favorite for all financial crooks, banned by many countries and governments.
very apt indeed.
“fake” is the right word.

cash is favourite for crooks

bitcoin can be tracked as its not a privacy coin

don't believe the propaganda

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:03 pm

Philander doing as much damage against Australia as against India.Steyn did not play and Ngidi too did not play.

But will give Aus benefit of doubt in 4th test. They were mentally off.

Dependence too much on Steven Devereaux Smith with A lesser extent on Warner.

Smith's absence is too big a hole.

Loose halo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Loose halo » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:15 pm

G S's voodoo doll must be chock full of pins.

RSA were so good with bat and ball one couldn't help but admire their skill.

Philander and De villiers are in my world team.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:55 pm

Loose halo wrote:G S's voodoo doll must be chock full of pins.

RSA were so good with bat and ball one couldn't help but admire their skill.

Philander and De villiers are in my world team.

only? :)

not Markram and Rabada?

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:24 pm

Rabada would walk into my world XI (Tests).
Not so sure about ABDV.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:25 pm

At least Chadd Sayers has something in common with Graham Gooch.
And Gavin Hamilton.

A pair on debut.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:38 pm

raja wrote:At least Chadd Sayers has something in common with Graham Gooch.
And Gavin Hamilton.

A pair on debut.

What about a pair in his last test? :)

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:18 pm

Katto wrote:
raja wrote:At least Chadd Sayers has something in common with Graham Gooch.
And Gavin Hamilton.

A pair on debut.

What about a pair in his last test? :)

Hamilton satisfies that criterion too. :-)