First Ashes Test Australia v England 23/11/2017.

terryc6475
CF Debutant
Cash on hand: Locked
United Kingdom

Re: First Ashes Test Australia v England 23/11/2017.

Postby terryc6475 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:29 pm

Am I the only person who noticed the TERRIBLE decision to give Stuart Broad out??

PLEASE go back and watch it. The hotspot CLEARLY shows a mark on the ball before it could possibly contact the bat. It has to be from where the ball hit the ground. And the 3rd umpire was all like "Mmhmm, yep, overturn decision". Even the sniko showed nothing as the ball was nearest the bat, but because it had a spike in the next frame, it somehow counts!

Crazy. Awful decision, terrible that commentary didn't pick up on it. Shocking that I couldn't find any mention of it here.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:40 pm

Just a matter of Bancroft and Warner getting red inks against their scores and the Baggy Greens taking all the momentum into the pinkie in Adelaide. Short turn around Poms.
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:24 pm

Shambles wrote:Have the Aussies outfoxed England by utilizing Lyon to exploit our well known weakness against the turning ball with our line up of LH's..?? Looks a very clever ploy judjing by the Gabba pitch. Never known one like this. For the 2nd test I'd bat Bairstow at 5 or 6, swap Overton for Ball, & hope Cook gets some runs. Think the only spare batsmen are Ballance & Ben Foakes, who could come in & keep wicket pushing Bairstow up the order, plus I'm sure he's a right hander to nullify Lyon. First post here btw. Hi

Welcome Mate always good to see new blood.
You make some good points, Foakes for Malan is not the worst idea I've heard, Bairstow play as a batsman. Lyon was close to unplayable for the Lefties at the Gabba especially the ones that didn't use their feet and just plod forward. Ballance has a poor technique especially against pace.
It's not just about the spin in Australia but the bounce is critical for Spinners down here and that was the difference between Ali & Lyon. Australian Spinners bowl with more over spin than elsewhere in the world and it is why visiting Spinners tend to struggle in Australia.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Bank: Locked

Postby Paddles » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:41 am

Boycs wrote:Why can’t Smith step on a cricket ball during the warm up for the next test? :P

Haha
Law 31.6 - benefit of the doubt for an dismissal appeal goes to the batsman
A third umpire call for a run out or stumping is a referral, not a review.

BritBulldog
CF Debutant
United Kingdom

Postby BritBulldog » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:48 am

My first post here.
I think you may be premature with big changes for England. They only have big problem in Steven Smith. Without him Australia were ordinary in the first innings and we could bowled them out for 150 different game then. England need a better plan for him to get him cheap. Ali is an all rounder who is a spinner, Lyon is in the Australian side for his spinning only, that is the big difference in their performance.

Loose halo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Loose halo » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:50 am

Mark Taylor put to bed the theory that there is a rule giving the batsman the benefit of the doubt in the stumping incident.

No such rule said Taylor this morning in the pregame.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:59 am

Loose halo wrote:Mark Taylor put to bed the theory that there is a rule giving the batsman the benefit of the doubt in the stumping incident.

Not only did Mark Taylor deny that benefit of the doubt was anywhere in the rules, he said that Ali had to proove he had something behind the line.

So not only is Mark Taylor unaware of rule 31.6, he seems to be also unaware that prooving something is to eliminate doubt, and he has added the word "proove" to the rules for appeals and put this onus of proof onto the batsman.

But its easy to see why so many don't know the rules, instead of reading them lately, they've listened to Mark Taylor.

I personally loved his reverse onus of proof onto the batsman, Ali - that was classic Tubby commentating.

Yorkshire
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby Yorkshire » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:15 am

Congratulations Australian supporter for Greatest victory because Australia won by 10 wickets chasing 170.

Warner 87 not out
Bancroft 82 not out

I bet Bancroft wish target could be 235.what a great début by youngster.I remember his 150 under Uzzie for Aus A sometime ago.

Aus.1/0

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:27 am

Congratulations Australia.Pretty comprehensive in the end.

To me the turning point in the match was the Smith Cummins partnership

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:29 am

:dance: yeehaah Baggies. 10 wicket hammering. :dance:

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:48 am

baggygreenmania wrote::dance: yeehaah Baggies. 10 wicket hammering. :dance:

Not just a big win, but pass marks for Bancroft, Paine and even Marsh.

If Eng lose at Adelaide in a shootout, where conditions will be the friendliest for England - this series is as good as over.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:23 am

bolero wrote:Congratulations Australia.Pretty comprehensive in the end.

To me the turning point in the match was the Smith Cummins partnership
No doubt about it. I am astounded at the level of mental tuffness that Smith possesses. Is up there with Steve Waugh. :hatsoff:

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:30 am

Mick180461 wrote:
Shambles wrote:Have the Aussies outfoxed England by utilizing Lyon to exploit our well known weakness against the turning ball with our line up of LH's..?? Looks a very clever ploy judjing by the Gabba pitch. Never known one like this. For the 2nd test I'd bat Bairstow at 5 or 6, swap Overton for Ball, & hope Cook gets some runs. Think the only spare batsmen are Ballance & Ben Foakes, who could come in & keep wicket pushing Bairstow up the order, plus I'm sure he's a right hander to nullify Lyon. First post here btw. Hi

Welcome Shambles. Lyon thrives on left handers. Will the England camp then nullify his stregth by picking more right handers in the Adelaide Test. Or will CA pick an all pace attack to take advantage of the twilite hours. Would like to see our best swing bowler and day/nite bowler Chadd Sayers picked. Food for the mind.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:40 am

Boycs you would have been rather displeased with the performance of a couple of your bowlers.specially Chris Woakes who came into the match in prime bowling form. He looked out of his depth if I have to be brutally honest.

Ball was little better constantly banging the ball into an uncharactistic Gabba deck that provided little more than tennis ball bounce for much of the game. Wrong tactics by Root and the bowler as Aussies have grown up on the short stuff.

Bairstow had a brain snap when he guided the ball down third man's throat. That was a key moment in the game for mine. Had your boys set us a 240/250 target it would have been an intriguing finish. The turning point was definitely the Smith/Cummins partnership.

Are there enuff superlatives for Smith?

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:04 am

baggygreenmania wrote:
Mick180461 wrote:

Welcome Shambles. Lyon thrives on left handers. Will the England camp then nullify his stregth by picking more right handers in the Adelaide Test. Or will CA pick an all pace attack to take advantage of the twilite hours. Would like to see our best swing bowler and day/nite bowler Chadd Sayers picked. Food for the mind.

The only other R/H Batsman in the squad is the Reserve keeper Foakes, the other batsman in the squad is Ballance a Left hander.

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:10 am

Loose halo wrote:Mark Taylor put to bed the theory that there is a rule giving the batsman the benefit of the doubt in the stumping incident.

I think it is one of those things that was part of the game but never actually a rule but with DRS in play it has gone the way of the Dodo bird. The Umpire gave Ali out because he did not think that there was any part of the Foot behind the crease.

Leo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Mayotte

Postby Leo » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:23 am

Congratulations Australia.
Time is the Best Speaker

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:59 am

Now for the Adelaide day/nite pinkie Test starting Saturday. All the momentum is with Australia. Can the Poms bounce back.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:18 am

about as much momentum they had heading into the Durham green top a couple of Ashes ago.

SuperGLS
CF Champion
CF Champion
United States of America

Postby SuperGLS » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:56 pm

Day night test cricket sucks (when it's in Australia.)
Cook's #1 fan. @SuperGLS on Twitter.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:00 pm

SuperGLS wrote:Day night test cricket sucks (when it's in Australia.)

your time zone sucks

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:06 pm

Watching a program on Bothams best days.

Ashes 81 and 86 basically.

Yorkshire
CF Regular
CF Regular
Australia

Postby Yorkshire » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:15 pm

baggygreenmania wrote:Now for the Adelaide day/nite pinkie Test starting Saturday. All the momentum is with Australia. Can the Poms bounce back.

I think draw on the cards, VK hits 100 in both innings here

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:18 pm

Good first post, Shambles.
Welcome to the forum.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:22 pm

BritBulldog wrote:My first post here.
I think you may be premature with big changes for England. They only have big problem in Steven Smith. Without him Australia were ordinary in the first innings and we could bowled them out for 150 different game then. England need a better plan for him to get him cheap. Ali is an all rounder who is a spinner, Lyon is in the Australian side for his spinning only, that is the big difference in their performance.

Welcome to the forum.

I agree that without Smith there really was nothing to separate the two sides here. In fact, England was on top for the first couple of days. It was that Smith-Cummins partnership that started seeing them loosening their grip on the game. And then, their second innings batting let them down, though credit is due to Hazlewood for suddenly pumping himself up.

All in all England could just as well have won this. The 10-wicket defeat suggests a one-sided game - and it most certainly wasn't.

Shambles
CF Debutant
United Kingdom

Postby Shambles » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:42 pm

Was really impressed by Nathan Lyon in India. Miles better than Englands spinners there, & thought back then would CA be bold enough to prepare turning pitches? I wouldnt write England off yet though. They have shown many times recently they can bounce back after a defeat. Still think Bairstow needs to go up to 5 or 6, he's become a very good player & completely wasted at 7. Our back up bowling doesnt look great I agree. Well played Australia as much as it pains to say that.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:05 am

All in all England could just as well have won this. The 10-wicket defeat suggests a one-sided game - and it most certainly wasn't. I will go along with that. Hats off to the amazing Steve Smith and Cummins who batted like ..well a batsman. The pleasing thing from an Aussie point of view was that from that point on the Baggies never took the foot off the throat.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:14 am

Bairstow needs to go up to 5 or 6, he's become a very good player & completely wasted at 7. Our back up bowling doesnt look great I agree. Well played Australia as much as it pains to say that.
I have doubts about Bairstow's state of mind after the verbal mauling he took from the Aussies which led to a brain fade when he holed out to a well planned deep third man. What possessed him to headbutt Cameron Bancroft in a niteclub? There has been very little written in the Australian press about the incident. Will Ben Stokes play in the third Test?