Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked
United Kingdom

England v South Africa: 4th Test at Old Trafford

Postby Boycs » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:32 pm

The show down. Drawn series or an England victory. There will be no victorious dawn for South Africa.

Wood is out, Finn is in. Decent shout, say I.

My eyes will be on Westley to see if he gets second test blues. And TRJ too.

Last chance saloon for Jennings?

Hope for fair weather. The UK is suffering from a glut of meteorological weirdness at the moment. Typical.

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Re: England v South Africa: 4th Test at Old Trafford

Postby Misty » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:30 am

Jennings will play in day nighter vs WI, even he aggregate 7 at old trafford

Old trafford test starts before Colombo test starts or after Colombo test ends?

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:43 am

Raja shree very particular person he must wants date for above test oldtrafford in subject

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:13 am

I'm sure he'll get over it :D

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:49 pm

What's happen to other guy anyway? I mean is he heading to North because I can not finds in South,I wonder were he is going?

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:50 pm

http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/96 ... fford-test

Philly doubtful for next test tomorrow

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:06 pm

If England bats first tomorrow Cook and Root will destroy SA for sure.Cook 185 (old Trafford test) and root 325 runs(old Trafford test) Aggregates here some 372 days ago vs very good bowling ,even Johnny hits fine innings, bats at 8so I hope England bats first, we might see classic of Westley because he bats before Root.

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:27 am

04/08 - 03:30 PM IST

4th Test, South Africa tour of England at Manchester

August 4-8, 2017

Big Picture

South Africa have fought back once in this series and now they need to do it again to avoid ending their tour of England - which also encompassed a poor Champions Trophy - without any reward. The ODI and T20 series were both lost 2-1 and now the best they can earn from the Tests is a share of the spoils after being comprehensively turned over at The Oval. Throw in the group stage exit from the Champions Trophy and it's been a difficult couple of months.

They also have a proud record in England to maintain: not since 1998, the series that included the famous tussle between Michael Atherton and Allan Donald plus the deciding Test at Headingley marred by poor umpiring, have they lost a series on these shores. England have already retained the Basil D'Oliveira Trophy, but a series win would be a notable first feather in the cap for new captain Joe Root who has experienced a full range of emotions at the start of his reign.

It is difficult to know what to expect. Logic would suggest that England are the favourites, but that was the case before Trent Bridge as well after they had taken the lead at Lord's. And that quickly came tumbling down around Root. England need to show they can follow a highly impressive performance (and The Oval wasn't too far off being faultless) with another.

South Africa will be crossing their fingers they can have a first-choice attack on the park. Their win at Trent Bridge came without Kagiso Rabada. Then at The Oval, Vernon Philander started the match ill and got worse. Now on the eve of this match, Philander was suffering from back spasms. If that pair, along with the impressive and sometimes unplayable Morne Morkel, can fire together, taking 20 wickets is well within their grasp

The batting remains a big issue. Dean Elgar's gusty hundred at The Oval was just South Africa's second in their last six Tests (Elgar has scored them both) while Quinton de Kock's move to No. 4 has brought one good score and three failures. A few pieces of England's batting jigsaw came together at The Oval - Alastair Cook showing the virtues of defence, Ben Stokes' maturing as Test batsman and Tom Westley's promising debut - but they need to back it up this week otherwise progress will remain stilted.

England have struggled for consistency over the last two years ESPNcricinfo

Form guide

(last five matches, most recent first)
England WLWLL
South Africa LWLDW

In the spotlight

Keaton Jennings may well have reached a make-or-break Test. His 48 in the second innings at The Oval was unconvincing - dropped in the slips, saved by a review and regularly using his inside edge - and with the wind in his favour he really needed to cash in with a century, but instead edged to gully. With three Tests against West Indies to follow ahead of the Ashes, the selectors will need to decide whether to stick or twist should Jennings not make a significant score at Old Trafford or risk getting to Australia no nearer finding a long-term partner for Cook.

A series tally of 13 wickets at 28.30 looks solid for Morne Morkel but they do not show how well he has bowled. His burst on the third day at The Oval, when he removed Cook with an unplayable delivery from round the wicket, was regarded by some commentators as one of the great spells. Pushing the ball a touch further up to the bat than his natural length has increased his threat and a significant haul feels around the corner. For bowlers to have taken more than 200 Test wickets, only Andrew Flintoff and Jacques Kallis - allrounders - have fewer five-wicket bags than Morkel's six.

Teams news

The damp weather in the lead-up to the Test could persuade England to stick with the same balance of side, despite Trevor Bayliss' view that eight batsmen is too many. That would mean a second cap for Dawid Malan.

England (probable) 1 Alastair Cook, 2 Keaton Jennings, 3 Tom Westley, 4 Joe Root (capt), 5 Dawid Malan, 6 Ben Stokes, 7 Jonny Bairstow (wk), 8 Moeen Ali, 9 Toby Roland-Jones, 10 Stuart Broad, 11 James Anderson

Philander will have a fitness test on his back and he may not be risked if there is a fear of him breaking down. If he comes through with no issues, South Africa may consider playing the extra batsman at the expense of Chris Morris. However, if Philander continues to experience problems - which may reduce the overs he can bowl - Morris' bowling will be needed. Heino Kuhn has been backed by coach and captain and so will retain his place.

South Africa (probable) 1 Dean Elgar, 2 Heino Kuhn, 3 Hashim Amla, 4 Quinton de Kock (wk), 5 Faf du Plessis, 6 Temba Bavuma, 7 Vernon Philander, 8 Chris Morris, 9 Keshav Maharaj, 10 Kagiso Rabada, 11 Morne Morkel

Pitch and conditions

There has been significant rain in Manchester over recent days and, not for the first time, heat lamps have been used to help dry areas of the outfield. Further heavy rain on Thursday morning left large puddles on the outfield. Alongside the stating of pop concerts - something the ground is used to dealing with - teams means the outfield is unlikely to be ideal. It will be interesting to see how much pace and bounce - qualities Old Trafford is known for - the groundsman can get into the surface.

Stats and trivia

A series defeat for South Africa would be Faf du Plessis' first as captain (although he did miss the first Test here) following victories over Australia, Sri Lanka and New Zealand.

South Africa have not played a Test at Old Trafford since 1998 when they were denied by England's last-wicket pair of Robert Croft and Angus Fraser

Neither of these sides have won a home series against each other in series which have started this millennium - South Africa's 2-1 win the 1999-2000 meeting was the last home success.

Joe Root has made at least one half-century in his last nine consecutive Tests - a 10th would equal the England record held by John Edrich.

Quotes

"There's been a lot of chat about the outfield and the surface and the weather around, but most importantly all we need to focus on is making sure we look to win this game.''
Joe Root

"We'll do everything we can to win this last one. England are also an attacking side, so the way they play they put pressure on you as the opposition but they also create opportunity because they can speed the game up a bit. I think this Test match, once again the bat will decide what will happen. Both teams are strong bowling units and the difference is in the batting."
Faf du Plessis

Resources
Cricinfo.com

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:30 am

Misty wrote:If England bats first tomorrow Cook and Root will destroy SA for sure.Cook 185 (old Trafford test) and root 325 runs(old Trafford test) Aggregates here some 372 days ago vs very good bowling ,even Johnny hits fine innings, bats at 8so I hope England bats first, we might see classic of Westley because he bats before Root.

confidentiality, I can say Joe root will equal John Enrich's record of 10 consecutive test for 50 or more runs.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:45 am

Though at work today I've then got the house to myself for the weekend.

Cricket uber alles!!

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:39 am

Misty wrote:http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/96229/england-vs-south-africa-4th-test-old-trafford-manchester-vernon-philander-still-in-doubt-for-old-trafford-test

Why is England always so lucky?

In 2005, they won the Ashes only because McGrath got injured after the first Test. Let's not fool ourselves, saying they'd have won otherwise too. No disrespect to Freddie and his fantastic bowling, but McGrath was a nemesis for England, just like Warne.

And now England win this series because Philander isn't around to torment them.

I know the stats will show England won 3-1 but I hope people are honest enough to admit that this is a hollow victory.

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:25 am

I think one of test vs southafrica England were lucky because English Last wicket batted enough overs to salvage draw. I am Afraid southafrican captain will taste first series defeats after three series victory under his name as captain.

(Robert Croft and Angus Frazer the last wicket pair denied victory in 1998).
(Aus,NZ and SL under FAF, SA win test series, now defeats looming)

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:27 am

raja wrote:
Misty wrote:http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/96229/england-vs-south-africa-4th-test-old-trafford-manchester-vernon-philander-still-in-doubt-for-old-trafford-test

In 2005, they won the Ashes only because McGrath got injured after the first Test. Let's not fool ourselves, saying they'd have won otherwise too. No disrespect to Freddie and his fantastic bowling, but McGrath was a nemesis for England, just like Warne.

I know the stats will show England won 3-1 but I hope people are honest enough to admit that this is a hollow victory.

Cricbuzz says 'Morris also might not playing but SA will add extra batsman'.

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:33 am

England scored 589 here vs Pakistan.yes, England won toss bats first.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:50 am

Morris also injured!

Come on - this is SA "B" team now.

If someone had to be injured, why couldn't it be Kuhn?

This is the Ashes 1974-75, 6th Test at the MCG all over again.

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:53 am

Plenty of rains here yesterday.Ground staff did good job but outfield not as dry as 2016 series vs Pakistan,ball stops near bountry line with dampness in outField.

Oliver removed Jennings early I think Bell Drummond in kents team and he has good chance
To show his talent on Sunday vs WI, thanks Administrator to let me open thread of WI vs Kent early on I think warm up matches very important before test matches.

Westley hits powerful 2 fours,very positives playing well within his crease so far.

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:04 pm

At Lunch on day 1
Eng 67 for 1

Jennings 17
Cook 31 not out
Westley 19 not out

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:42 pm

Congratulations Root to Equal John Edrich for 10th successive scores of 50 in 10 test in a Row.Boycott correct about something in the Tuff for seam bowler.

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:51 pm

Raja,

Botham took less than Ash for DBL (2000/200)
Next Imran and Kapil

Ash (4)

But probably Ash number one with 250 wickets and 2000 runs in only 51 test
==================================================================

Stats round-up:

+ India became the first visiting team to post 500+ in two successive Tests in Sri Lanka.
600/10 in Galle
622/9d in SSC

+ Fewest Tests to the double of 2000 runs & 200 wkts:
42 I Botham
50 Imran Khan/ Kapil Dev
51 R ASHWIN
54 R Hadlee

+ Six 50+ scores in India's innings:
- First such instance in a Test in SL
- Second instance for India in an away Test after Oval 2007

+ Eighth instance of a team scoring 600+ in two or more successive Tests - five of those by India. Second time India has done it away from home after 2004 (705 in SCG & 675 in Multan).

+ This is the second instance of a team scoring 600+ four times in a year - other was by India in 2007.

687/6d v Ban, Hyderabad
603/9d v Aus, Ranchi
600/10 v SL, Galle
622/9d v SL,

© 2017 Cricbuzz.com
Last edited by Misty on Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:58 pm

187 for 5 with Root out LBW for 52.big wicket he scored 254 and 71 not out here vs worlds best bowling combination.

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:16 pm

Very fine partnership here off 20 overs between two of finest English cricketer of 21st century.

Johnny good as gold forever 22 not out and Stokes just completed careful unbeaten 50
Last edited by Misty on Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:22 pm

OMG one over left on day one but
88.6 th ball Rabada just Clean Bowled Ben Stokes for fine 54
252 for 6

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:23 pm

65 runs stand just broken at right time

Day one 260 for 6
Johnny 33 not out
J.Roland 0 not out

See you tomorrow

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:37 pm

raja wrote:

I was about to dispute this 2005 lark - thinking that McGrath missed only one Test - but have just checked and he missed the 2nd and 4th Tests (the ones we won)....

.... shut up raja :P

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:38 pm

Missed the entire day due to work. What are we thinking then? Looks like tough batting with Westley 29 from 88. Cook in the runs again, and Root and Stokes.

260/6, even-handed? Either 288 all out or 350/10 tomorrow which might be a fair score?

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:38 pm

Ankur
Asterix confession '' I love Shakila' probably he talked about Character Shakila but I read his post of July 22nd, somewhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG3i3InLEUo

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:45 pm

Boycs wrote:Missed the entire day due to work. What are we thinking then? Looks like tough batting with Westley 29 from 88. Cook in the runs again, and Root and Stokes.

260/6, even-handed? Either 288 all out or 350/10 tomorrow which might be a fair score?

No way England can make 350 here, no one have patients with BS gone off 93 ball 54.johnny looking for Quick runs.

I see so you were at work! But difficult wicket to bats on coz rains last week way too much.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:26 am

Watching some of the highlights from yesterday. Apart from Jennings everyone looked reasonably good. Root played one expansive shot too many but he also made another fifty when we needed it. He did edge a few through the slips though and survived a couple of lbw. Stokes made a fifty and cook battled hard. Westley played well again.

I think Cook and Westley receives decent deliveries. Root was okay. Jennings scratchy at best and I think his time is up. Malan a loose shot too.

Haven't seen the stokes dismissal yet

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:40 am

Ha. Stokes! Play that!

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:40 am

:kp2: :punter5: :ravi: :balle: :wine:
Congratulation Joe Root for 5000 ( 5006) test runs in 57 tests.
30 scores of 50 and 12 scores of 100 in 105 test innings @53 plus Average

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:20 am

4 by Johnny
He need 13 for his yet another 50, he scored 53 odd vs Pakistan bats at 8 during ENG.'s 589 ( Root 254) here,last year may be

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:24 am

Rabada' 3 rd wicket as Roland jones gen after lovely 4
271 for 7 I forget about Mo,as batsman,eng.need partnership now

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:02 pm

Misty wrote:
Boycs wrote:Missed the entire day due to work. What are we thinking then? Looks like tough batting with Westley 29 from 88. Cook in the runs again, and Root and Stokes.

No way England can make 350 here, no one have patients with BS gone off 93 ball 54.johnny looking for Quick runs.

I see so you were at work! But difficult wicket to bats on coz rains last week way too much.

Its Johnny Johnny johnny but he missed century by one run
But Anderson trapped Elgar for 0
ENG 362
SA 7 / 1

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:27 pm

Oh bairstow unlucky! Lbw for 99!

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:43 pm

SA 12/1. The problematic Elgar goes for a three ball duck pinned lbw by Jimmy.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:13 pm

Amla! Gone! Caught down the leg side! TRJ toblerones the South African king-pin!

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:51 pm

Yes but English problem starts with Bavuma promote to number 4.Kuhn still there?
Wellington test Bavuma batted at number 7 first time, hits 89.I hope he hits something Significant batting at odd position but I strongly think Timba B very organized player for number 4 in test as ABDS test career about to be over, for sure.

Timba so far only second time bats other than number 6 in his 25 test career.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:16 pm

Kuhn is battling hard here. Cook-like in his resistance. Edging and getting hit all over the place. Just edged one into his foot and now he's hopping up and down around the crease.

Moeen in.

Bavuma getting going on 22

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:17 pm

Wow spinners are the leading wicket takers for both teams this series.

Moeen leading wicket taker for England.

Who'd have thought it? In a team overflowing with pacers

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:22 pm

Looks like a beautiful day up north.
Possible reverse swing is it?

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:27 pm

Oh England you cocked up that run out chance. Poor throw in and Moeen has to have two goes to take the bails off.

Kuhn goes two balls later though!!!

Slip takes it off the grass off Moeen. Third wicket down. Kuhn had battled hard but struggling with a hamstring apparently.

84/3

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:32 pm

So Ali removed He-ino for 24

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:53 pm

93/3 into tea.

Amla, like anyone who gets out like that, is a shade unlucky.

Cook has been out a couple of times like that I believe.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:54 pm

Gower is on tv at the moment. He seems to have aged a bit last six months or so. His suit is hanging off him a little more.

Holding and bumble seem as ageless as ever!

Sad when people get older, eh?

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:28 pm

It's raining inside edges at the moment

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:33 pm

Bavuma is battling hard. 46 so far

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:33 pm

Boycs wrote:Bavuma is battling hard. 46 so far

Out next ball.

I am all powerful!

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:37 pm

FAFF GONE! Bowled by Jimmy who has three now!

Bowling from the Jimmy Anderson end! How long has it be named that??

Two batsmen in on nought.

Long live Jimmy!

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:50 pm

Not many people know Anderson took 4 wickets haul in test 23 times and Five wickets haul as many as 22 times (Murli 67 times)

He needs only 17 more to reaches 500 test wickets,i think he should keep playing till he reaches milestone

Raja
Yes I think so, this is proteas B team, their A team and their Emerging team doing wonderful in other cricket.This test was really important so they let England from
187 for 5 into 362 now 5 down.

Indian team will be in SA within 7 mos.SA will be king in their own country on some of roads.

Misty
CF Senior
CF Senior
Zimbabwe

Postby Misty » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:56 pm

The-Unis
BRuyn prolific run scorer in southafrican domestic cricket just like Patterson of Australia but THEUNIS not yet pile up runs in test matches, he should hang around and saved some pride for his nation today with kock