India vs Australia: 2nd Test; March 4-8, 2017 at Bangalore

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Cash on hand: Locked
Australia

Re: India vs Australia: 2nd Test; March 4-8, 2017 at Bangalore

Postby Mick180461 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:57 pm

baggygreenmania wrote:How does a man averaging @16 yes a piddling @16 in this Shield season possibly warrant a call up to the test side? The inmates continue to run the asylum.

And it's not as if we are short of Batsman who can bowl some seam up and are in form. Cartwright, Wildermuth even Christian or Henriques should be in front of Stoinis, defies belief.

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:45 am

Unlike one days and T20s for test cricket you need genuine batsmen or genuine bowlers rather than having bits and pieces batsmen who could bowl a little or below average bowlers who can bat a little to try to pass themselves as allrounders.

Verity
CF Champion
CF Champion

Postby Verity » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:46 am

Going South wrote:Unlike one days and T20s for test cricket you need genuine batsmen or genuine bowlers rather than having bits and pieces batsmen who could bowl a little or below average bowlers who can bat a little to try to pass themselves as allrounders.

A genuine allrounder like Stokes is handy but Australia dont have one so move on Australia
Go to Live Games Forum to take part in "I hold a gun to your head" Games.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:54 am

NERDYDAD ON MARCH 9, 2017, 6:32 GMT
FC bowling averages: Henriques 31.07, Cartwright 41.92, Stoinis 47.90.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
Bank: Locked
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:04 am

Going South wrote:Unlike one days and T20s for test cricket you need genuine batsmen or genuine bowlers rather than having bits and pieces batsmen who could bowl a little or below average bowlers who can bat a little to try to pass themselves as allrounders.

Please email this to Paul Farbrace

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:34 am

BoyCaught30 wrote:

Please email this to Paul Farbrace

Email also James Sutherland GS.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:38 am

Stokes is NOT a genuine all rounder. Garfield Sobers, Botham, Khan, Kapil Dev, Keith Miller were. Even Freddie Flintoff I would rate over Stokes. How could I miss Jaques Kallis. Probably the second only to Sobers.

Mick180461
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby Mick180461 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:03 am

baggygreenmania wrote:Stokes is NOT a genuine all rounder. Garfield Sobers, Botham, Khan, Kapil Dev, Keith Miller were. Even Freddie Flintoff I would rate over Stokes. How could I miss Jaques Kallis. Probably the second only to Sobers.

How is Kallis a better allrounder then Hadlee or Imran, their bowling records are every bit as good as Kallis's batting record and their batting record is every bit as good as Kallis's bowling record. Sobers i rate as no 1 due to the fact he was not only a very good Pace Bowler but could bowl capable spin as well.

Boycs
Muppet Moderator
Muppet Moderator
Bank: Locked
United Kingdom

Postby Boycs » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:02 am

My qualm about Kallis is that a mediocre bowler would take 290 odd wickets if he bowled for 150 tests. But one of the great tests bats for sure. And perhaps his earlier years saw a more balanced ability betwixt bat and ball

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:18 am

Kallis was grossly overrated in my opinion mainly due to raw statistics taken out of context.
He was a capable all rounder but no way the greatest of all time, not even close.

He was a handy part time support bowler who was brought on at the right times but in no way could lead an attack.

Verity
CF Champion
CF Champion

Postby Verity » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:47 am

Katto wrote:Kallis was grossly overrated in my opinion mainly due to raw statistics taken out of context.
He was a capable all rounder but no way the greatest of all time, not even close.

He was a handy part time support bowler who was brought on at the right times but in no way could lead an attack.

He was a batting allrounder. Theres a difference between a bowling and batting allrounder.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:02 am

Verity wrote:
Katto wrote:Kallis was grossly overrated in my opinion mainly due to raw statistics taken out of context.

He was a batting allrounder. Theres a difference between a bowling and batting allrounder.

I'm not disputing he was a batting allrounder. I'm disputing he was a great or greatest allrounder.

Verity
CF Champion
CF Champion

Postby Verity » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:03 am

I know he was in a era when bowling attacks were weak but his batting stats match up against the best.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:20 am

Verity wrote:I know he was in a era when bowling attacks were weak but his batting stats match up against the best.

he was a very good batsmen who was a useful part time bowler

he'd be fine at #6 in this Australian side, but then I'd take any proper test standard batsman at #6

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:33 am

The definition of a genuine all rounder as I understand it .. is if a player commands a place in a side as either a bowler or a batsman. There is much doubt then that had Kallis not been a world class batsman would he have been in the Saffer side. But once in he was an integral part of the Saffer attack for the best part of a decade.. so in my view he qualified as a genuine all rounder...
Last edited by baggygreenmania on Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:39 am

Mitchell Starc heading home due to a fractured heel. As if the Aussie morale was not already low.. this is a further blow. So who will take Starc's place in the touring squad.. Big money is on Pat Cummins. Jason Behrendorff is firming as a like for like replacement and James Pattinson's name is also being bandied about. My preference is go with the firepower of Cummins.

baggygreenmania
CF Senior
CF Senior
Australia

Postby baggygreenmania » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:06 am

We now know Starc's relacement..Pat Cummins. Finally he has been taken out of cotton wool and is primed to play his first Test in more than 5 years. Will he play the Ranchi Test. I would choose him over Bird as we need some real firepower against the Indians. The Indian balls offer no movement and the decks are slow and flat. So that extra pace Cummin's provides will be vital.