World Cup 2021
VIP User
VIP User

Richards- Botham Trophy : 5 T20I & 3 Test :Jan-March 2022

Post by World Cup 2021 »

https://m.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/116 ... ndies-tour

England to play additional games in 2022 West Indies tour

England and West Indies kickstarted international cricket after the COVID break

Cricket West Indies announced the schedule dates for the upcoming three-match Test series and five-game T20I rubber against England in January-March 2022. Initially, as per ICC's FTP, England were slated to play three T20Is and two Tests in the Caribbean, but it has been increased to five T20Is and three Tests respectively.

The venues for the matches are set to be announced in April. The Test rubber will now be known as "Richards-Botham trophy". The trophy is "named in honour of West Indies' batting icon Sir Vivian Richards and England's great all-rounder Lord Botham. The new trophy pays tribute to the two legends whose rivalry and friendship embodies the close relationship and mutual respect between the two sides," Cricket West Indies release said.

Meanwhile, the T20I rubber serves as a preparation for the Men's T20 WC in 2022 to be held in Australia. Ricky Skerritt, CWI President said: "This expansion of next year's England tour to the Caribbean is welcome news for West Indies Cricket and for the region's tourism economy. It has come about because of the special relationship that has been developed between our respective boards.

"We are looking forward to working with ECB Chair Ian Watmore, and CEO Tom Harrison, to expand our partnership even further into new areas of cooperation and support. We have already begun discussions on how the ECB can help us in our development programs and I am pleased that ECB has been showing so much appetite and goodwill to assist."

Ian Watmore, Chair, England and Wales Cricket Board noted: "We hugely appreciated the support of Cricket West Indies, and all its men's and women's players, in helping us host a full season of international cricket in the summer of 2020. Following the conclusion of those tours to England we have been in discussions with CWI to understand how we can best support them moving forward and one way was to extend our existing England men's tours to the Caribbean in 2022."

Incidentally, West Indies and England resumed the international cricket schedule after the outbreak of the COVID-19, with the West Indies touring England in July 2020.

Schedule:

January 28: 1st T20 International

January 30: 2nd T20 International

February 2: 3rd T20 International

February 4: 4th T20 International

February 5: 5th T20 International

March 1 to March 4: warm-up match

March 8 to March 12: 1st Test

March 16 to March 20: 2nd Test

March 24 to March 28: 3rd Test

Ⓒ Cricbuzz