England Cricket Thread

This forum contains topics related to general cricket news
Paddles
VIP User
VIP User
New Zealand

England Cricket Thread

Post by Paddles » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:17 am

One of the years most eagerly awaited cricket events will occur on October 20.

The Hundred Draft is here. And everyone, bar India is in. Their players are only allowed to play county cricket. That means world #1 t20 batsman Babar Azam should be getting snapped up. Along with fellow star players Farkhar, Shadhab and Imad Wasim. Even Amir and Shinwari should be in the mix. Afghanistan and world best t20 bowler, Rashid Khan will of course get snapped up.

There are squad sizes of 15. And each team will be allocated an England test player. But they will not feature much until the final. Bet they all want Buttler, Archer, Bairstow, Stokes or Root more than Broad, Burns, Anderson or Leach.

Roy and Ali are on the player's list, with Plunkett, Morgan, Hales, Rashid, etc.

Warner, Starc, Smith, KW, Gayle, Rashid are all the mix.

Teams may only sign 3 overseas players. And they must take 1 England contracted player minimum.

So squad sizes are 15, but that is really 14, as the England team will be unavailable so often. And i you pick Ali, and he gets a test recall, suddenly your squad is down to 13. So this will need some very astute selections. I expect as a result, there may be some less than expected second round picks, with the real value of a local player like Mark Wood, or Tom Curran, being higher than one would normally think given these restrictions. That said, Warne believes his first round picks should be ABdV, Dre Russ or Rashid Khan... And its hard to debate that I wouldn't take Dre Russ or ABdV if available neither.

I have to say, I am excited to see how the teams make their draft picks.

going south
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: England Cricket Thread

Post by going south » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:16 pm

London (AFP) - England cricket chiefs have named Chris Silverwood as their new head coach to replace Trevor Bayliss, who stepped down last month at the end of his contract.

The 44-year-old, who has spent the past two years serving as fast bowling coach under Bayliss, will take charge for the tour of New Zealand, which includes a five-match Twenty20 series, starting on November 1, and two Tests.

While former India and South Africa coach Gary Kirsten and Surrey's director of cricket Alec Stewart emerged as contenders to succeed Australian Bayliss, managing director of England men's cricket Ashley Giles described Silverwood as the "standout candidate".

going south
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by going south » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:17 pm

I see a bias.
No way this fella better than Gary.
Under the table deal indeed.

Harmer
VIP User
VIP User
India

Post by Harmer » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:44 am

Paddles wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:17 am
One of the years most eagerly awaited cricket events will occur on October 20.

The Hundred Draft is here. And everyone, bar India is in. Their players are only allowed to play county cricket. That means world #1 t20 batsman Babar Azam should be getting snapped up. Along with fellow star players Farkhar, Shadhab and Imad Wasim. Even Amir and Shinwari should be in the mix. Afghanistan and world best t20 bowler, Rashid Khan will of course get snapped up.

There are squad sizes of 15. And each team will be allocated an England test player. But they will not feature much until the final. Bet they all want Buttler, Archer, Bairstow, Stokes or Root more than Broad, Burns, Anderson or Leach.

Roy and Ali are on the player's list, with Plunkett, Morgan, Hales, Rashid, etc.

Warner, Starc, Smith, KW, Gayle, Rashid are all the mix.

Teams may only sign 3 overseas players. And they must take 1 England contracted player minimum.

So squad sizes are 15, but that is really 14, as the England team will be unavailable so often. And i you pick Ali, and he gets a test recall, suddenly your squad is down to 13. So this will need some very astute selections. I expect as a result, there may be some less than expected second round picks, with the real value of a local player like Mark Wood, or Tom Curran, being higher than one would normally think given these restrictions. That said, Warne believes his first round picks should be ABdV, Dre Russ or Rashid Khan... And its hard to debate that I wouldn't take Dre Russ or ABdV if available neither.

I have to say, I am excited to see how the teams make their draft picks.
World # 1- t20i batsman did poor performance as his side beaten vs world # 8 - Lanka 3/0 in Pakistan