I have the courage to do unusual stuff - Aamir Khan

Movie news, gossip, movie reviews and music-related discussions.
bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
Cash on hand: Locked
India

I have the courage to do unusual stuff - Aamir Khan

Postby bolero » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:44 am

By Kunal M Shah
Posted On Thursday, March 11, 2010 at 02:49:07 AM

• You will turn 45 in a couple of days. How do you see the coming year?

I am not taking on any new assignments as an actor this year. I have three earlier commitments as a producer- Peepli Live, Dhobi Ghat and Delhi Belly. I also want to spend time with my mom, children and family. I am only going to be busy professionally as a producer and releasing these three films. I want them to be successful.

• 3 Idiots smashed all box-office records and is being compared to Sholay.

I am thrilled. In 2008, Ghajini broke all records and touched about Rs 300 crore and became the biggest grosser of Indian cinema. I never expected 3 Idiots to go beyond Ghajini in terms of collections. It’s unimaginable.

• Won't it be an uphill task for you to break your own records?

My approach is never to compete with anyone or anything or even outdo my earlier films. My sole purpose is about the essence of the film, which must come across clearly to the audience and get the success it deserves. I want to do work that excites me and my thought process is not to break records.

• Aren't you insecure that after the success of 3 Idiots you have three films as a producer but none as an actor?

Each one of us is insecure about something or the other. I don't want to take any step just because I am insecure. In that sense I have the courage to do unusual stuff. At this point of time there is Peepli Live, Dhobi Ghat where I am also acting and Delhi Belly. My focus right now is Peepli Live as it is releasing first. I think you should just follow your heart.

• Do you feel proud that you were the first actor to set the trend of doing one film at a time and now most actors are following it?

People used to laugh at me and used to say 'yeh industry se gayaab ho jayega'. But, I am glad that more and more actors are following it as that's how films should be made. I feel that the main cast and crew should do so too as that's how you make better films.

• Now that My Name Is Khan's collections is much less than that of 3 Idiots, do you think that the debate over which Khan rules is finally laid to rest?

(Laughs). There was never any war of supremacy so there is no question of starting or stopping any debate. I am not competing with him (Shah Rukh Khan). I never raised those questions so the answers do not interest me. For me the people who rule the industry are Dilip Kumar, Amitabh Bachchan, Lata Mangeshkar as I idolise them as an audience. I love Shammi (Kapoor) uncle too as it's a different style and I also love Nargisji (Dutt) and Waheedaji (Rehman).

• These days SRK and you are not passing any comments against each other.

(Laughs). I have never commented about him and I don't want to start now. I used to respond only to comments he passed about me.

• What is your relationship with him now?

He came to the premier of 3 Idiots and we have spoken on the phone after that once or twice. We don't interact much and there is no marked difference in our relationship. It's still the way it has always been - cordial.

• 3 Idiots is also the biggest hit in the overseas market. However there were constant comparisons between 3 Idiots and MNIK. Does it disturb you ?

It doesn't disturb me as you can't change facts and the trade knows it all. I can fool the people who do not know the business but I can't fool you as a journalist as you know the facts. The most important thing for me is to be a part of a film which not only entertains but also make a difference. The fact that 3 Idiots gave students or parents a different point of view and had a positive impact is enough for me. I don't get any satisfaction by numbers.

• People say you have a success formula as all your films work.

I have always followed my heart and made some crazy decisions. Many times people have told me that you are doing a film with so and so director and that it's the worst decision. However, it has worked for me. I have been following my heart from the early days of my career. I don't listen to people or else I would not have done many of my films. Yes I have made mistakes but by and large I am very happy. One can never say that a particular film will be successful.

• Have you started following the trade figures after you turned producer?

No. I understand trade ever since I became an actor. The one thing I won't do is experiment with anybody's money. I won't make a Taare Zameen Par in Rs 40 crore and think that it will makers 100 crore (Incidentally, it did business of over Rs 100 crore). My motto is that everyone connected to my film should make money. I am aware of the fact that I am in a creative field but there is a business aspect to it and I would never be impractical.

• You recently became the youngest Indian to get the Padma Bhushan.

I am honored. I am grateful to my family and fans who love me unconditionally.

• Last year has not been easy personally with Kiran's miscarriage and the demise of your father.

Yes, the last few years have been traumatic. But that's life and one has to be able to absorb the difficulty and pain. Losing someone you are close to… I think that (pauses) I think that these are things that every human being has to face at different times. What you have to remember is that you must be strong for other people around you. Life is so fragile.

• Your brother Faisal is back with you.

Faisal has been working with me and I think he is someone who has the ability to overcome all difficulties. He is actively involved with me in my script selections.

• What is your son Junaid doing nowadays?

He is studying commerce. Reena and I are proud of him. This is the age to study and we aren’t going to pressurise him.

• There are reports that Mansoor Khan will make a comeback.

I really wish so as he is so talented. I have been telling him the same thing.

• You will be meeting James Cameron this weekend.

We will be discussing future of cinema and the art of story telling. I’ll meet him for dinner.

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/article/30/2010031120100311024907837f5729700/I-have-the-courage-to-do-unusual-stuff.html

Leo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Bank: Locked
Martinique

Re: I have the courage to do unusual stuff - Aamir Khan

Postby Leo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:28 pm

Nice to read. Thanks for the post.

There are some diplomatic answers but he stays away from controversy. Thats good.

bharathh
Gamemaster
Gamemaster
India

Postby bharathh » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:02 pm

I really appreciate this guy's films. Of late his recent films have been very meaningful as well. Taare Zameen Par and 3 Idiots as well tackle issues with the education system back home in addition to being awesome movies to watch.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:39 pm

He is an outstanding actor. Far, far, far...better than the likes of publicity seeking SRK.

Shalini
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator

Postby Shalini » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:21 pm

I like Aamir Khan. Good Actor, nice guy.

I met him a long time ago during the Delhi premier of Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar and he was so nice. No airs and graces like some of the other "stars" of that film.

Ranjith
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Ranjith » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:32 pm

Im a big time Bollywood hater and simply hate all its Actors but even then i like Amir Khan a lot.His movies are much much better and he even comes across as a good person unlike GRK who is just an overrated piece of s***

Leo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Martinique

Postby Leo » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:10 am

I have one question to all Indian mates.

With the presence of an actor like Amir Khan, how Shahrukh has become the most popular actor? You people can answer this best. I like SRK and Aamir both. But I think SRK is not the material to be no 1. How he made it possible? Why Indian movie fans let it possible? What is the secret behind this?

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:19 am

Shuvo. Its all about individual likes and dislikes. For example, most female folk in India drool over SRK. SRK packages himself well, Aamir Khan is more about quality acting, " the perfectionist".

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:23 am

One more thing, SRK has the support of the establishment in films, the Johars, Karim Morani etc have helped make SRK what he is. Aamir on the other hand hs always been anti establishment. The press and the media has many a time tried to run down Aamir Khan, however not only have they fallen flat on their face but Amir has always beaten the odds to trump SRK.

bharathh
Gamemaster
Gamemaster
India

Postby bharathh » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:26 am

Being popular is different from being a good actor. SRK can be a good actor. He showed this in movies like Chak de India, Swades etc. However, his movies generally tend to be masala movies that are appreciated by the masses. The movies SRK acts in are generally timepass movies that tend to be watched by many Indians who want escapist fare. That is why he is popular.

That said, SRK is an incredibly hard-working person. I cannot imagine the sacrifices he must have made to reach where he has today. To break into the film industry without familial connections is tough enough. To have beaten all the other star kids of his generation to become the most popular actor is an achievement in itself. Not just that, SRK does not have a single black mark against him over the past 20 years in the limelight. How he has always been a darling of the media while keeping his personal life away from the media glare is something most celebs would do well to learn. The man is a marketing genius.

SuperGLS
CF Champion
CF Champion
United States of America

Postby SuperGLS » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:00 pm

Though I only know SRK from his cricket relations it's funny because I talked to an Indian lady at work a while back and she was telling me basically the same thing about SRK as you guys have posted here.

bharathh
Gamemaster
Gamemaster
India

Postby bharathh » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:25 pm

Whether he is a likable person or not... who knows? Respect to him for his achievements though.

asterix
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United Kingdom

Postby asterix » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:27 pm

No respect to Gayrukh Khan..The earliest he is deported out of India the better..

Leo
CF Senior
CF Senior
Martinique

Postby Leo » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:33 pm

WOW!!!!!!! :grin:

Why do you hate him so much?

Alishabc
CF Regular