Pakistan v Australia: 2 Test & 3 T20I October 7-28, 2018 in United Arab Emirates

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior
Cash on hand: Locked
Bank: Locked

Re: Pakistan v Australia: 2 Test & 3 T20I October 7-28, 2018 in United Arab Emirates

Postby Paddles » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:42 pm

Mitch Marsh batting at 4 tells it all, really.
Elite honesty:
At the toss Faf said to Finch that you lads can bat - Finch replied "no, no we can't-we really can't".

Finch then saw Travis Head and Darcy Short start put on sun screen and said "Getting a bit optimistic aren't you?"

Halo
CF Debutant
Australia

Re: Pakistan v Australia: 2 Test & 3 T20I October 7-28, 2018 in United Arab Emirates

Postby Halo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:18 pm

What will be interesting in the second innings is if Langer as the new coach can inspire his troops to fight back.
I sense the openers will struggle on this day 3 pitch.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:27 pm

Mitch Marsh in the top 6 is a joke. At 4 is beyond a joke.
Dunno who else you'd bring into that side though, not much batting talent in Australia right now.

@raja the ball didn't turn at all for the first 2 days. It started turning when Pakistan bowled, and even more after lunch on day 3. However we can put 10 for 60 down to inept Aussie batting. Khawaja is a decent player but his issue is more a confidence/mindset one than a technique one. Not helped by poor handling of his selection over the years.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:58 am

Punter is just 43.
I reckon he's still in good shape?
Bring him back.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:01 am

raja wrote:Punter is just 43.
I reckon he's still in good shape?
Bring him back.

DRS ended his career

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:06 am

session and a half remaining on day 4.

probably enough time to bowl out Australia by the end of the day

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:46 am

back to where we were about a day ago. same deficit and same wickets in hand before it all went to shit
at least it looks like we've got 2 players and Finch is genuine test material, at least on these sort of tracks. Still suss against the swinging ball with his technique, but so is everybody else.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:52 am

87/3

Mitch Marsh :oops:

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:52 am

....... and I thought pakistan is the current worst team facing a slump. huh!!

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:54 am

without a doubt Mitch Marsh is the worst #4 in international cricket

givemeahug786
CF Regular
CF Regular
Kenya

Postby givemeahug786 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:00 pm

Katto wrote:without a doubt Mitch Marsh is the worst #4 in international cricket

He was even dropped on zero in the first innnings than out soon same happen he was dropped by Hafeez but out for 0.
Asad Shafiq completed 4000 test runs

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:05 pm

givemeahug786 wrote:
Katto wrote:without a doubt Mitch Marsh is the worst #4 in international cricket

He was even dropped on zero in the first innnings than out soon same happen he was dropped by Hafeez but out for 0.

absolutely the most surplus player to requirements in this poor team

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:18 pm

both teams captained by keepers

seems to be a trend lately

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:47 pm

khawaja is good. Hope he earns respect todayif not already.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:10 pm

if players are given opportunities, they learn if they're good enough over time

some players never learn and they keep getting picked

givemeahug786
CF Regular
CF Regular
Kenya

Postby givemeahug786 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:10 pm

Going South wrote:khawaja is good. Hope he earns respect todayif not already.

Ya Khawaja/Finch close door for
Bancroft
Renshaw
Patterson (NSW)

warner.might remove Finch in Australia after India series.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:40 pm

givemeahug786 wrote:

Bancroft
Renshaw
Patterson (NSW)

the door should be wide open to the Marsh bros places :?

Halo
CF Debutant
Australia

Postby Halo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:06 pm

I wonder about Shaun Marsh his dedication and his preparation. Ussie played County cricket in his off season and would have faced off spin Ad Nauseum. He is showing the benefit.
Marsh plays like a number ten against spin.

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:26 am

This has to be a contender for the worst performance by two brothers in a test.

19 runs between them at an average below 5 and 1 catch. While conceding 38 runs for no wickets.

Nice to see Finchy doing well.

Abbas continuing his tremendous start to his career.
Elite honesty:
At the toss Faf said to Finch that you lads can bat - Finch replied "no, no we can't-we really can't".

Finch then saw Travis Head and Darcy Short start put on sun screen and said "Getting a bit optimistic aren't you?"

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:09 am

givemeahug786 wrote:

Bancroft
Renshaw
Patterson (NSW)

Don't see why. Neither Khawaja nor Finch are noted openers. Finch opening in white ball has misled you to his red ball position (and even in white ball like the BBL, Finch is often in the lower middle order).

Renshaw and Warner could open, with Khawaja at 3, Smith at 4 and Finch at 5 if they're the best available batsmen wanted by the selectors. It is very easy for an opening batsmen to bat anywhere (only issue is when they don't play spin well re: Alec Stewart and arguably Khawaja before this test match displayed significant improvement) - but even then, Khawaja could open with Warner or Renshaw at 3.
Elite honesty:

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:17 am

Verity wrote:Ground is empty, how is this series funded

The same way all t20 and international cricket series are funded. The mighty tv dollar. Ticket sales are largely insignificant. If an event could sell out a stadium - imagine its ratings power! Fans are just there to enhance the image of the product. Advertisement placement, like the typical advertisement from where the fast bowler runs in from, and all around the boundaries, probably clears more profit than ticket sales in sold out events (they don't require security and toilets) bar matches at Lords'. Even then, tv would presumably rule.
Last edited by Paddles on Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
Elite honesty:

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:19 am

Paddles wrote:
givemeahug786 wrote:
Bancroft
Renshaw
Patterson (NSW)

Don't see why. Neither Khawaja nor Finch are noted openers. Finch opening in white ball has misled you to his red ball position (and even in white ball like the BBL, Finch is often in the lower middle order).

Renshaw and Warner could open, with Khawaja at 3, Smith at 4 and Finch at 5 if they're the best available batsmen wanted by the selectors. It is very easy for an opening batsmen to bat anywhere (only issue is when they don't play spin well re: Alec Stewart and arguably Khawaja before this test match displayed significant improvement) - but even then, Khawaja could open with Warner or Renshaw at 3.

Khawaja began as an opener, its where he's played most of his cricket :roll:

Paddles
CF Senior
CF Senior

Postby Paddles » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:20 am

Katto wrote:
Paddles wrote:

I would have thought he would have began as a newborn infant, if not a twinkle in his father's eye.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... pe=batting

But he has played most of his test cricket at 3. And even batted 6 before ever opening. :roll:

But it does explain why he has taken so long to get good against spin. :grin:
Elite honesty:

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:53 am

I don't care what combo Australia comes up with post-Smith/Warner/Bancroft, as long as Shaun Marsh isn't in it.
I'm still sort of ok with persisting with Mitch, esp in Aussie conditions, but Shaun has been given a very long rope.
The cupboard must be really bare if he still gets chances after Smith's return.

Happy to see Khawaja do well. I've been critical of him in the past - but I do change my opinion of players when I see them step up to the challenge.
Right now, with the loss of Smith/Warner, Australia need every single batsman to put his hand up.
And Khawaja seems to be doing so.

Whether your team wins or loses is a separate matter altogether.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:10 am

raja wrote:I don't care what combo Australia comes up with post-Smith/Warner/Bancroft, as long as Shaun Marsh isn't in it.
I'm still sort of ok with persisting with Mitch, esp in Aussie conditions, but Shaun has been given a very long rope.

Happy to see Khawaja do well. I've been critical of him in the past - but I do change my opinion of players when I see them step up to the challenge.
Right now, with the loss of Smith/Warner, Australia need every single batsman to put his hand up.

Mitch Marsh is a #7
but if he doesn't bowl hardly any overs what use is he?

So what if he can hit the odd century on a flat track with no sideways movement and average 26. That's what is expected of a #7 not any batsman in the top 6.

Halo
CF Debutant
Australia

Postby Halo » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:53 am

Katto wrote:
Paddles wrote:

The QCA played Ussie as opener during his sacking and he was a prolific scorer for the Qld Bulls.

givemeahug786
CF Regular
CF Regular
Kenya

Postby givemeahug786 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:43 am

Pakistan not take review, that was Out.L B W.umpire not pick but Pakistan loose opportunity.

49 wickets in 9 test @ 16 : Great by Abbas.
166/3- new ball due after 18 overs.

Debut 50 by Head my favourite player but verity not think he ever play test for Australia.

Yasir looks good to take wicket, anytime soon.Bilal also creates good bounce.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:48 am

Matter of one wicket.

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:51 am

Katto wrote:
raja wrote:I don't care what combo Australia comes up with post-Smith/Warner/Bancroft, as long as Shaun Marsh isn't in it.

Mitch Marsh is a #7
but if he doesn't bowl hardly any overs what use is he?

So what if he can hit the odd century on a flat track with no sideways movement and average 26. That's what is expected of a #7 not any batsman in the top 6.

Wonder why Mitch Marsh doesn't bowl more? Is it his own decision to focus more on his batting (like Kallis did) or do captains not bowl him much (maybe fearing injury, or lack of confidence)?

If he's not bowling, he's a waste in this side.

Otherwise at least he has a chance of being the poor man's Hardik Pandya.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:40 am

Head should put the sweep shot back in the broom cupboard
he cant play it

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:06 am

is it too early to start talking about Gilchrist and Langer? :bts:

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:25 am

247 to win

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:52 am

Only a 100 from Labuschagne can save Australia.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:54 am

long tail in this line up too

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:05 am

Australia will have to bat out of their skin to save this. 60 odd overs left for end of days play.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:08 am

How good is La Bouche ?

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:13 am

4th innings hundreds, while fighting to save or win a game, are special.
Take a bow, Uzzie.
Long way still to go though.

givemeahug786
CF Regular
CF Regular
Kenya

Postby givemeahug786 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:34 am

bolero wrote:How good is La Bouche ?

Do not change his name

Just say Labu

Going South
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
United States of America

Postby Going South » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:02 am

man. i don’t know about you guys but I am sure impressed by khawaja. great effort to save the blushes. :up: my man of match.

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:42 am

givemeahug786 wrote:
bolero wrote:How good is La Bouche ?

Do not change his name

Just say Labu

Ok, lets say Buch.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:01 am

bolero wrote:
givemeahug786 wrote:Do not change his name

Just say Labu

Ok, lets say Buch.

I wanna call him the mighty bouche

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:59 am

watching Mickey Arthur's face throughout this match :)

who needs to see the scoreboard...

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:30 pm

Peter Siddle = last hope

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:24 pm

what a thriller

test cricket!

ZeGermanCricketFan
CF Regular
CF Regular
Croatia

Postby ZeGermanCricketFan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:28 pm

one of the gutsiest draws in Test cricket that I ve ever watched, w all the ingredients, 1 batsman w a magnificent score, 1 to see it thru till the end, young captain of his team at that....extraordinary bowling by PAK, who were extremely unlucky, Yasir alone could ve knocked them over. Only downside is that such level of sportsmanship deserves at least half full stadium, not only families and relations.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:33 pm

great innings by Paine too finish the job

bolero
CF Senior
CF Senior
India

Postby bolero » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:45 pm

Khwaja was brilliant but it was Paine who ultimately saved Australia

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:45 pm

good luck in Abu Dhabi. normally turns square from day 1 there :)

raja
Muppet Administrator
Muppet Administrator
Pakistan

Postby raja » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:04 pm

What a wonderful day's cricket!

I love the 5th day of a Test when it goes into the final session, with all 3 results possible.
Or at least 2.

Australia even had a chance of winning this at one point - if they'd been a bit more aggressive.

But I think their first priority was to save the game - and if they'd done anything stupid, they'd have felt much worse.

To be honest, I thought Khawaja would get out any ball - he looks like a walking wicket to me, considering how he plays risky shots like the reverse sweep (and even the normal sweep), and steps out of his crease so often (asking to be stumped!). Lefthanders tend to look like walking wickets to me anyway. :-)

Despite this, he stuck to the task today - full credit to him for that.

Paine played a captain's knock - credit to him too. Dealt with the pressure very well, as did Lyon.

This isn't the first time Lyon is showing he can eat deliveries if called upon to do so.

I thought Pakistan didn't attack well enough. There wasn't much in the wicket, so they needed to be more aggressive, I thought.

Even the field placing looked a bit defensive - too many in the deep, even to the quicks. Not enough in the slips.

But maybe Sarfraz was worried they would leak runs - and the horror of a defeat prevented him from being more aggressive.

You've got to back your bowlers to get wickets for you - and give them an attacking field to do so.

Wahab was flat - off-day for him. Looked like he was just going through the motions.

Yasir also was somewhat disappointing - have seen him bowl much better than this.

Abbas was ok - but again not scary.

The wicket really didn't assist pace or spin, so all it needed was for batsmen to not make mistakes.

Or for a bowler to produce something special - which didn't happen.

I'm quite impressed by Bilal. Looked quite dangerous.

All in all, thoroughly enjoyed the day's play.

The Marsh brothers must be proud that they played a key role in saving the game for the Aussies.

Katto
CF Champion
CF Champion
Tuvalu

Postby Katto » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:07 pm

Khawaja's reverse sweep is one of the best in the game. He only looked shaky right at the end when he was obviously exhausted.